CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Still waiting for this

Let's talk about everyone's favorite topic ITT: REQs. Specifically REQ Packs and new REQs we get every month through content updates. 

I've seen several people get upset after they show off what's in a new update and then post "Now it just makes it harder for me to get X skin/Y certification/Z helmet." And that's true for a lot of people. So what if we introduced REQ Packs with a theme to them. In this case the theme would be focused around the update from that specific month. 

Here's an example:

7dpdp35.png

Cartographer's Gift Pack      10000 // $2.99

Cartographer's Gift Packs contain a large amount of Uncommon to Legendary REQs with a high chance at consumables exclusive to this content update. 2 REQs will be permanent unlocks from Cartographer's Gift, if available. 

Essentially it will act as a glorified Gold REQ Pack. Same price, same amount of cards given, with a little bit of help to get specific cards hence why it's expensive even when getting a chance at something like an Uncommon. And it will act just like a Gold Pack when all permanents are unlocked as it will give you back 6000 RP after every opened pack. Each month the pack will change to accommodate the new content update.

@@Sal1ent @@Deez

in my opinion, it goes back to when 360 came out, the whole gamer pics thing and being able to put your own images on the background of the dashboard... msft charged for gamer pics... something i always thought was dumb as hell, but people just bought into it so easily.

in turn what happens is, msft will look at this as there being an audience for this stuff, people will pay for it, so then the socalled free content takes a backseat and not only that, but it just pushes the micro transaction culture even further.

in csgo, i see a lot of people buying weapon skins, and thats cool, theyre like a dollar or 50 cents, but you know what youre getting. same goes in wow, you buy mounts/pets or in guildwars, you buy cosmetic clothing outfits, that's fine, you know what youre getting.

random generated conetent packs tho, thats just dumb, but people buy it sadly.

if they had a weapon skin store, id be more inclined.

So basically your only problem is the RNG. What if you were allowed to buy Mythic stuff for 3$ and common for like .50 cents?. Also just realized that the cents symbol isn't on the Lumias keyboard like the $ sign is.

I don't know if anyone else has been playing FFA much but I just finished my 10 placement matches last night.

I placed onyx and played like crap which is amusing.  The games were painfully slow paced.   I felt like I could have played two Borezone Assault matches in thew same time as one game.  Almost as if there was not enough people.   With that said, I also felt like the spawn placement on the majority of the maps was terribly broken and would just get worse with more people.   Anyone else have this feeling playing FFA?

Well let me explain cause I didn't and probably should. I go to the store one day and spend two dollars on a bag of Hot Popcorn. It's cheap and fucking tasty. But it also runs out. And since 90% of my free time is gaming I decide to instead spend it on a game. Me personally there aren't many games that I like. And Halo is my all time favorite. So I decided to put the money into Halo. But when I'm deciding what to buy I think to myself "Do I want cosmetic that will last forever or a Warzone mini nuke that I can only use once like that bag of popcorn?" See the mini nuke will give me intense joy for that one round. Whilst the cosmetic will give me joy for forever.

i get it. but ill go further and say, spending money on the hopes of a cool weapon skin vs spending money on a guaranteed weapon skin are two entirely diff things. people pour money into the chance, the gamble... i find that silly. :)

Here's the thing. If they are making fuck tons of money then why would they risk losing that by changing the system?

They're not and they shouldn't.

The place I see the best use of this is with CS:GO and Dota 2. Items are gotten randomly from chests/crates (just like REQ packs), but for those who don't want to do the RNG game there is also a secondary (Valve run and supported) market for individual items. It would be amazing to have the same thing for Halo 5, but it's a fuckton of work that I doubt 343 wants to get involved in.

So basically your only problem is the RNG. What if you were allowed to buy Mythic stuff for 3$ and common for like .50 cents?. Also just realized that the cents symbol isn't on the Lumias keyboard like the $ sign is.

id totally go for that.

hell man, i grind away my time at hopes of getting set drops in Diablo, aint costing me anything other than my time lol. and is purely random, though you can increase chances with gear that increase your magical gear find.

To the people who purchase packs, how many have you purchased? I feel the price is too high to purchase multiple packs.

The place I see the best use of this is with CS:GO and Dota 2. Items are gotten randomly from chests/crates (just like REQ packs), but for those who don't want to do the RNG game there is also a secondary (Valve run and supported) market for individual items. It would be amazing to have the same thing for Halo 5, but it's a fuckton of work that I doubt 343 wants to get involved in.

Staff allowed to say fuckton.  Love it.

Exactly so I don't see why people are worried. If I made 2 million dollars on people buying cosmetics I'm definitely not going to do anything that jeopardizes that.

Can someone clear this up for me:   IF  I play enough, can I unlock everything the arena req pack has to offer? 

Or are there exclusive items in the arena req pack bundle?

All the Arena pack does is give you three permanent cosmetic unlocks. So weapon skins, armour, emblems, etc. No special stuff in there so you can unlock it all by just buying Bronze, Silver and Gold packs.

i get it. but ill go further and say, spending money on the hopes of a cool weapon skin vs spending money on a guaranteed weapon skin are two entirely diff things. people pour money into the chance, the gamble... i find that silly. :)

Same reason people bet or go to Vegas. It's the rush. You like the feeling that you COULD win. It's the reason why Destiny is so popular.

Same reason people bet or go to Vegas. It's the rush. You like the feeling that you COULD win. It's the reason why Destiny is so popular.

but in vegas id be winning real money :)

you bring up an idea, what if we could gamble req points on our match outcomes? kinda like playing the arena match win cwrd for. more xp... but if you loae, you wasted that card, id be up for match wagers :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

To the people who purchase packs, how many have you purchased? I feel the price is too high to purchase multiple packs.

well you see... you get a discount if you bundle.... bundle and save :)

you bring up an idea, what if we could gamble req points on our match outcomes? kinda like playing the arena match win cwrd for. more xp... but if you loae, you wasted that card, id be up for match wagers :)

We might as well get Fan Dual involved.  Let them handle the waging. 

Would love this, I would take as many things from CS/DOTA economy/player engagement wise as possible.

Still waiting for this

Another great idea.

Also your idea is a good one. Lol I bet 200k REQ points that RED team will win

Dat $1/1 hour philosophy yo

Nobody said you had to

All I want is the stupid lemon emblem.

And I have to wait 187 REQ packs to find it...maybe.

This is the biggest trend of monetization in the gaming industry right now though. LoL, Dota 2, and CS:GO all have variations of this system that are making them absolutely insane amounts of money. It's not going away, it's only going to become more prevalent.

That being said, props to you for speaking with your wallet, unfortunately for you it just seems that devs have found the most appealing way (currently) to milk their fanbases.

Sadly.

The thing is that it can easily be structured in a far more honest manner. Do you as a developer believe that you have fans who will pay exorbitant amounts of money for content, whether they're completionists or just hardcore grinders? Great! Hike the prices of individual cosmetic unlocks and sell them individually, then offer an RNG pack of 30 or so items at a decent price with a small amount of guaranteed weapon or cosmetic unlocks. After that, your commendations can come in for weapon unlocks or special reserved cosmetics (like promotional items) in Warzone to satisfy those who want goals to work toward.

Instead we get...this nonsense that we have.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Also your idea is a good one. Lol I bet 200k REQ points that RED team will win

then you can get that uber cool weapon skin

All I want is the stupid lemon emblem.

And I have to wait 187 REQ packs to find it...maybe.

Sadly.

The thing is that it can easily be structured in a far more honest manner. Do you as a developer believe that you have fans who will pay exorbitant amounts of money for content, whether they're completionists or just hardcore grinders? Great! Hike the prices of individual cosmetic unlocks and sell them individually, then offer an RNG pack of 30 or so items at a decent price with a small amount of guaranteed weapon or cosmetic unlocks. After that, your commendations can come in for weapon unlocks or special reserved cosmetics in Warzone to satisfy those who want goals to work toward.

Instead we get...this nonsense that we have.

I wish I could trade REQs. I'd give you my lemon.