CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It'd be cool to gift someone the points for reqs. If I have 100,000, I can give a pack of give half of that to a friend in need.

its amazing how much money people waste on digital cosmetics.

Its amazing how many people condescend people for spending their own money on what they want :P
  • Upvote (+1) 6

its amazing how much money people waste on digital cosmetics.

I'll pay $30 on Movies for 2 that will last 2 hours, but only paid $60 for Halo 5.

I have over 200 hours on Halo 5, so I think the purchasing is warranted, the game/343 has earned it based on the ratio of money to entertainment given.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just don't understand why people pay money for RNG packs...

Halo 5's system of RNG is different, though. You can't get duplicates; every pack you open or purchase is slowly chipping away at 100% completion. If you are aiming for one specific skin or armor piece then you are going to get it eventually. Some people will spend money for the thrill of RNG, and some will spend just to speed up the process.

In games like CoD/CSGO, you aren't guaranteed anything. It's true RNG and you can open hundreds of cases and never get what you want.

Its amazing how many people condescend people for spending their own money on what they want :P

spend on what you want, im just making a comment. dont get salty. ;)

i bought one req pack, and that was the hcs one... which guaranteed the hcs armor. @cursedlemon is right tho... why buy rng?

Halo 5's system of RNG is different, though. You can't get duplicates; every pack you open or purchase is slowly chipping away at 100% completion. If you are aiming for one specific skin or armor piece then you are going to get it eventually. Some people will spend money for the thrill of RNG, and some will spend just to speed up the process.

In games like CoD/CSGO, you aren't guaranteed anything. It's true RNG and you can open hundreds of cases and never get what you want.

I'm still not going to pay money for expedience. That's just ludicrous, especially if it's a game I actually like and will grind out regardless, nevermind the fact that it sets a horrible precedent and shouldn't be supported anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'll pay $30 on Movies for 2 that will last 2 hours, but only paid $60 for Halo 5.

I have over 200 hours on Halo 5, so I think the purchasing is warranted, the game/343 has earned it based on the ratio of money to entertainment given.

i get it man, dont have to justify. i still buy magic the gathering carda knowing each booster is random, same goes with hearthstone. but those items are tangible and have use... halo shit other than war zone is purely cosmetic.

i get it man, dont have to justify. i still buy magic the gathering carda knowing each booster is random, same goes with hearthstone. but those items are tangible and have use... halo shit other than war zone is purely cosmetic.

Exactly. I'd much rather be getting something cosmetic.

Dat $1/1 hour philosophy yo

I'm still not going to pay money for expedience. That's just ludicrous, especially if it's a game I actually like and will grind out regardless, nevermind the fact that it sets a horrible precedent and shouldn't be supported anyway.

Nobody said you had to

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

For me, it's hardly RNG any more. Most, if not all of these packs are going to be saved for the monthly updates, specifically the Ultra Rare, Legendary and Mythic stuff that will release.

I guess someone could argue that them spending money is still unlocking that one or two items, meaning the next pack they buy (with money or points) is more likely to be the item they really want.

The HCS pack was a brilliant idea, though and I hope they do more like that. 

I just strongly believe supporting microtransactions will only hurt the franchise in the long run.

• Upvote (+1) 8

spend on what you want, im just making a comment. dont get salty. ;)

i bought one req pack, and that was the hcs one... which guaranteed the hcs armor. @cursedlemon is right tho... why buy rng?

Meh not trying to be salty, but i find it weird people are talking down to those who but RNG packs despite them paying with their own money

And i donf really care for their reasons; its on them. Only issue I have with the REQ system is what it could potentially become

I just strongly believe supporting microtransactions will only hurt the franchise in the long run.

Totally. We've all seen what some developers can do with microtransactions, especially when they started with ones that didn't affect gameplay. People are totally right to be wary of it. 

If it ever reaches a point where they do impact gameplay to the level of Halo Online, then I'm confident the back lash will be large enough for them to remove it. But once again, completely depends on the developer and if Microsoft has their hand inside the puppet.

Seems to do well in other games

Well let me explain cause I didn't and probably should. I go to the store one day and spend two dollars on a bag of Hot Popcorn. It's cheap and fucking tasty. But it also runs out. And since 90% of my free time is gaming I decide to instead spend it on a game. Me personally there aren't many games that I like. And Halo is my all time favorite. So I decided to put the money into Halo. But when I'm deciding what to buy I think to myself "Do I want cosmetic that will last forever or a Warzone mini nuke that I can only use once like that bag of popcorn?" See the mini nuke will give me intense joy for that one round. Whilst the cosmetic will give me joy for forever.

Because in 30 years those same people are going to be looking around saying, "I don't have any money saved for retirement, but look at that guy over there; he's got millions! That's unfair! We should take more from him."

I'd be fine with people spending their money on whatever the hell they choose as long as they accept the long-term consequences rather than demand that someone who didn't frivolously spend their money pay for it later.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

This is the biggest trend of monetization in the gaming industry right now though. LoL, Dota 2, and CS:GO all have variations of this system that are making them absolutely insane amounts of money. It's not going away, it's only going to become more prevalent.

That being said, props to you for speaking with your wallet, unfortunately for you it just seems that devs have found the most appealing way (currently) to milk their fanbases.

Meh not trying to be salty, but i find it weird people are talking down to those who but RNG packs despite them paying with their own money

And i donf really care for their reasons; its on them. Only issue I have with the REQ system is what it could potentially become

in my opinion, it goes back to when 360 came out, the whole gamer pics thing and being able to put your own images on the background of the dashboard... msft charged for gamer pics... something i always thought was dumb as hell, but people just bought into it so easily.

in turn what happens is, msft will look at this as there being an audience for this stuff, people will pay for it, so then the socalled free content takes a backseat and not only that, but it just pushes the micro transaction culture even further.

in csgo, i see a lot of people buying weapon skins, and thats cool, theyre like a dollar or 50 cents, but you know what youre getting. same goes in wow, you buy mounts/pets or in guildwars, you buy cosmetic clothing outfits, that's fine, you know what youre getting.

random generated conetent packs tho, thats just dumb, but people buy it sadly.

if they had a weapon skin store, id be more inclined.

This is the biggest trend of monetization in the gaming industry right now though. LoL, Dota 2, and CS:GO all have variations of this system that are making them absolutely insane amounts of money. It's not going away, it's only going to become more prevalent.

That being said, props to you for speaking with your wallet, unfortunately for you it just seems that devs have found the most appealing way (currently) to milk their fanbases.

Here's the thing. If they are making fuck tons of money then why would they risk losing that by changing the system?

Can someone clear this up for me:   IF  I play enough, can I unlock everything the arena req pack has to offer? 

Or are there exclusive items in the arena req pack bundle?