CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The fact that Oddball is just relegated to a "custom game option" has annoyed me some. Why won't it be in matchmaking? That shit is my favourite gametype and I'll probably never play it as we don't have time to flesh out custom game groups every night.

Oddball likely isn't/wasn't on their schedule to add. They obviously have play tested and balanced Assault in the play lab and with Pro Team. If they were planning on releasing Oddball in an official capacity, it would have received the rigorous Pro Team balancing that other gametypes received. It's evident they decided not to include Oddball (maybe working on other modes?) but were kind enough to include the potential for its creation in the settings.

If I had to guess I'd also say that they haven't set up any ball spawns/etc. for asymmetrical maps. Assault is probably the only thing that will be updated for the new maps.

You guys said there's no Ce Magnum this month.

But what do you think those REQ's next to the DMR are?  They look like pistols to me.

Just finished my Legendary Solo run. You know, I really wish more levels were like Mission 13: Genesis. Not in terms of structure, but in terms of weapon placement and variation. The level manages to supply the player with a consistent stream of UNSC, Covenant, and Promethean weapons if they choose to explore. If you choose to go with the UNSC weapons from the various caches, you'll probably be forced to pick up a new weapon in the middle of battle, but chances are, it won't be long until another BR or DMR manages to find its way into your hands.

Too many levels in Halo 5, and Halo 4 for that matter, had levels where there was absolutely no weapon variation, and players were forced to pick up Promethean weapons and use them throughout the entire mission, which made the experience feel repetitive and boring. Genesis, however, actually manages to strike a nice balance, I think.

But what do you think those REQ's next to the DMR are?  They look like pistols to me.

SMG

So the general consensus about the update was that it was good?

The update is smaller compared to Dec/January, but we'll just have to see how the content actually plays out.

Permanent Social lists, UI/Color fixes, an Original (symmetrical) Arena Map, and Assault are all pretty dope so we'll see.

Who says it won't be? 

As others have pointed out 'As a reminder, the February update brings with it new modes such as Assault and Grifball, as well as the ability to create game types like Oddball and Ricochet thanks to custom game options,' doesn't scream matchmaking availability in the short term to me. We know from the way 343i have described this update, that such game-types won't be available in matchmaking when Hammer Storm launches (where, on the other hand, I would expect we'll see Assault, Grifball and Fiesta). Of course they could be added to matchmaking at a later time, yet ...

And considering the demand for new modes in high, I have no doubt it'll be added to matchmaking soon. Likely Team Arena first.

demand for new modes has been high basically since the launch of Halo 5, and it is only now that they will be delivered through updates in excess of 3 months later (depending, I suppose, on how you view Big Team Battle). There has been, to my mind, significant indication through various seasons of The Sprint, ViDocs, interviews, and posts that 343i engage in (over?)long (or perhaps merely the result of the allocation of significant time/resources to engine work during the early development of Halo 5, as 'A Hero Reborn' detailed) testing phases for new content, particularly any content being added to matchmaking, So while the demand for new modes remains high, and 343i would be able to leverage their work on Assault and the custom game options themselves to expedite the process, I don't see the arrival of Oddall or Ricochet in matchmade multiplayer happening 'soon,' though I would love to be wrong.

Oddball likely isn't/wasn't on their schedule to add. They obviously have play tested and balanced Assault in the play lab and with Pro Team. If they were planning on releasing Oddball in an official capacity, it would have received the rigorous Pro Team balancing that other gametypes received. It's evident they decided not to include Oddball (maybe working on other modes?) but were kind enough to include the potential for its creation in the settings.

Exactly.

One thing that wasn't entirely clear in the update was whether we have merely been given the 'ability to create game types like Oddball and Ricochet thanks to custom game options,' or as the update graphic stated 'custom game options including Oddball & Ricochet,' which reads like those two modes are pre-set options one can select in custom games, and play as is or make further changes. Perhaps @@Sal1ent can clarify this? I would expect the former description is more accurate, and the process would entail custom game variations of Assault/Grifball, not pre-set Oddball/Grifball options (which also doesn't make sense in terms of their restriction to custom games in such a case), and it is merely the case that the requisite short statement for the info-graphic didn't convey this clearly, but it would be nice to have this clarified.

Completely random but I just remembered the ogre twins and Walshy had recon during H3 when it was extremely rare. Anybody know why they had it?

Speaking of recon, I'm glad 343 made somewhat rare armor for this game (Achilles). It should be pretty rare since it's pretty hard to get.

BR starts feel really crispy to me. I think the skill gap shooting wise is definitely lower with the BR compared to the pistol, but not spawning with an automatic and not having a better gun than someone helps bring the skill gap back up.

Obviously, it feels like older Halos, but it's nice to be able to fight long range fights again and punish someone as soon as they fuck up or challenge you. Power positions are a lot more important and you can actually hold ground for minutes at a time because you have a weapon that can shoot at people sprinting towards you from a distance.

I really don't feel like the skill gap is tremendously lower as soon as you start with the a BR like I thought it would be. I've seen quite a few high level onyx 1.5KD guys get destroyed today in the doubles playlist.

SMGs.  They are all 3 variants of the SMG all with the new hammer melee attachment.

One of the pictures isn't loading for me, and don't know for anyone else. Here it is.

NUKzUel.jpg

Kinda disappointed that based on this picture, it looks like we still can't edit the white/preset colors of armor detail.

Also Helioskrill is becoming a random REQ drop? 343 went from making it an achievement armor, to announcing it would be a random drop, to deciding against it because people complained and now it's a random drop again... lol

I think it's a bit lame. Helioskrill (bar Achilles) was the only set of armor that required something special to achieve. We need more stuff that requires effort and recognition to unlock instead of pure RNG. Unlocking stuff through Warzone will only keep people distracted for so long.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Kinda disappointed that based on this picture, it looks like we still can't edit the white/preset colors of armor detail.

Also Helioskrill is becoming a random REQ drop? 343 went from making it an achievement armor, to announcing it would be a random drop, to deciding against it because people complained and now it's a random drop again... lol

I think it's a bit lame. Helioskrill (bar Achilles) was the only set of armor that required something special to achieve. We need more stuff that requires effort and recognition to unlock instead of pure RNG. Unlocking stuff through Warzone will only keep people distracted for so long.

Just because they are adding it as a REQ, doesn't mean it will be a random drop.  They could just as easily tie it to more SR commendations.  The assist and gametype commendations currently have no rewards.

The Mythic Variant will still be only available from MCC. These new variants are Legendary only.

Also, the  guy above. I doubt they will be SC Rewards. For the amount of effort the take to achieve, I would rather it was something new and very obviously special.

So I've came to the conclusion the 343 purposely botched this Doubles playlist. Because Team Doubles is not part of their "vision" so they put together a trash playlist that nobody will like, makes their "numbers" look like no one likes Team Doubles. So in the future they can say from our "data" the Doubles playlist was not popular amount the community. Ergo we get no more doubles playlists(which should be a permanent playlist, with adjustments made to suit 2v2)

It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. I'm pretty sure when they said why they made sprint a permanent armor ability in H4 was because their "data" said it was the most picked one in reach. Which to them that means everyone likes sprint, when in reality it was chosen due to the advantage it gave not the fun it gave lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay...about 15-25 pages deep someone was saying the population for breakout was dead and Heytred said it was just the new CSR thing etc. (because champion has not filled yet, as of right now there is probably 110-112)

Well, Heytred I like you and we are boys but the breakout population is dead. I literally, not figuratively, went from 1760-1770ish to Champion 19 in 3-4 hours earlier today. I played the same team, Champ 5 Rolders (now still 8 somehow) team, 8 times and they went 0-8 against my team. I think we played about 4-5 unique teams, maybe 6 total out of ~30+ games. 

But the one major thing that I have to say if anyone from 343 sees this and is willing to listen. PLEASE drop the MMR and hidden CSR from social playlists. We have one social playlist and half to most of the people I play with can't even find games in it (BTB). 

You (343) release a doubles valentines day playlist on Pink breakout maps with H2 br starts, no grenades for some reason. Okay that's fine, but why in the fuck was the CSR from the last two ranked doubles playlists the basis of finding games?

You think the community wants hidden ranks Grifball? Or if/when infection is out do you think we want to get sweaty for infection?

Just make it fucking ranked if its going to have a hidden rank, whoever is making this decisions for the love of Halo. It's not social bro...it's not social.  :( 

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Okay...about 15-25 pages deep someone was saying the population for breakout was dead and Heytred said it was just the new CSR thing etc. (because champion has not filled yet, as of right now there is probably 110-112)

Well, Heytred I like you and we are boys but the breakout population is dead. I literally, not figuratively, went from 1760-1770ish to Champion 19 in 3-4 hours earlier today. I played the same team, Champ 5 Rolders (now still 8 somehow) team, 8 times and they went 0-8 against my team. I think we played about 4-5 unique teams, maybe 6 total out of ~30+ games. 

But the one major thing that I have to say if anyone from 343 sees this and is willing to listen. PLEASE drop the MMR and hidden CSR from social playlists. We have one social playlist and half to most of the people I play with can't even find games in it (BTB). 

You (343) release a doubles valentines day playlist on Pink breakout maps with H2 br starts, no grenades for some reason. Okay that's fine, but why in the fuck was the CSR from the last two ranked doubles playlists the basis of finding games?

You think the community wants hidden ranks Grifball? Or if/when infection is out do you think we want to get sweaty for infection?

Just make it fucking ranked if its going to have a hidden rank, whoever is making this decisions for the love of Halo. It's not social bro...it's not social.  :(

I dont know why you are hating on the doubles playlist. The maps are a fresh twist on older ones. The br is perfect plus spawning without nades ensures you dont get spawn trapped. Every game i played was easy we were destroying people since the release and we were champions in doubles. There isnt a hidden ranking, if u keep getting owned by everyone maybe you need to step it up. Good job 343 on this playlist.

Also i would not be so proud of your champion seeing as how its the easiest one out of all of them (only saying this since you name dropped another player disrespectfully). I wish i could match against you soon and take that champ.

• Downvote (-1) 10

V9kFemt.jpg

So much better.

"Hey guys, we've recieved feedback that there should be more stripes and flat colours on skins and armour, so we've decided to add even more with the next FREE DLC. Our artists are huge fans of MS Paint and we're happy to oblige adding these specially crafted and time consuming examples of fine art to your back-to-it's-roots arena shooter experience."

Completely random but I just remembered the ogre twins and Walshy had recon during H3 when it was extremely rare. Anybody know why they had it?

Speaking of recon, I'm glad 343 made somewhat rare armor for this game (Achilles). It should be pretty rare since it's pretty hard to get.

It's not rare like Recon was. Achilles is more akin to the Haunted Helmet; it just takes a fuckload of time to get.

haunted-helmet-haloreach.jpg

and doesn't look nearly as cool

• Upvote (+1) 3

Before ODST came out the only way to get Recon was to be in Bungies good graces, they pretty much just awarded it to people like the guy who got killed by a traffic cone or the guy that sniped himself after ricocheting a bullet entirely around the map off of like 14 different surfaces.

Recon was common after ODST, literally anyone could get it then.