CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

NO.

3 was disappointing but it WORKED with the other games and had a mostly sensible plot along with the greatest ending you could have ever expected to a trilogy (that cryopod scene was clever as fuck)

Reach despite being non canon to me had decent characters, fine level design, and shit MADE SENSE

Making sense is the real takeaway here

It only made sense because you decided it was non-canon. And the ONLY decent character was George.
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I mean, literally all of this Traitor and ONI shit never happened in-game. There is no references to it. Chief goes rogue at the end of Blue Team and then he's stuck on Sanghelios at the end of the game with Locke.

We were lead to believe this would literally be a chase to find Chief and bring him in, instead we got one 'fight' and suddenly Locke is helping Chief.

Around 9 or 10 of the missions involve Osiris chasing the Chief. The mission where Locke fights the Chief is the third of those missions. Osiris is only really helping the Chief in the last couple of missions. I'm not saying it's particularly well written and they certainly didn't get across the rogue aspect very well but for the majority of the game Osiris is hunting the Chief. I just don't see how some poor writing and an attempt to keep the big secret under wraps is really false advertising.

Ignoring all that stuff though, as a standalone story and a continuation of H4, I don't think the story is very good. The characters are fairly boring, a lot of stuff from previous games has been left behind and not a whole lot actually happens. I still think as a setup for the future it's done a great job, I can't wait to see what happens in 6 and that Legendary ending was great.

The gameplay in the campaign is just fucking amazing though. I'm still going back and playing through the odd mission on occasion despite completing the campaign 3 times in a few months.

It only made sense because you decided it was non-canon. And the ONLY decent character was George.

His name is Jorge. And I liked Kat a lot, too. I see plenty of people like Emile, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume thats because he's got a skull on his helmet, and he has a cool knife.

And at least with Reach, it made sense within its own narrative. Halo 5 does not. Like, why does Chief flip out and slap Locke with the broad side of a battle rifle if he and Locke ultimately had the same objective of destroying Cortana? Hell, why even try and stop Chief and Blue Team from confronting Cortana in the first place? If there was ANYONE who could talk Cortana out of it, wouldn't it be him? And why send the team that was originally meant to deal with Cortana to do something else? What, did they assign a THIRD team that we didn't see to take care of Cortana, or did they just put Osiris' far more important mission on hold until they captured the military's most marketable soldier? Like, sure the Chief is valuable, but I think it's more important to try and stop the events that have been completely annihilating human colonies in the past few weeks.

Why does Cortana have Promethean Forces attack Meridian Station when the governor has already sworn allegiance to her? Why does the governor CONTINUE to be loyal to Cortana after she's been slaughtering his people?

• Upvote (+1) 1

About that whole "nerf autos"vs"buff pistol" debate, we need to keep in mind that a lot of people like the current sandbox because autos are a easy killing tool now, taking that power away from casuals will probably cause a uproar on waypoint big enough to revert any changes again. So IMO the only way to come up with a solution that most parties are fine with, would be to buff the pistol while reducing magnetism/AA

We want this anyway lol.

In relation to the games themselves it works

Cant say the same for Halo 5

Like, why does Chief flip out and slap Locke with the broad side of a battle rifle if he and Locke ultimately had the same objective of destroying Cortana?

Chief didn't have that mindset of stopping Cortana until they got to Genesis, which was after their confrontation.

We want this anyway lol.

not everybody though, I was on my mobile and too lazy to quote his post

Yea, I think everyone (here) recognizes that autos are way stronger in relation to the pistol than they should be. I simply think the solution is nerfing autos (and their frequency of placements on maps) instead of buffing the pistol. 

The sniper is only so broken because the hitboxes and magnetism for it are laughably generous. Again, I'd rather see a nerf to the broken stuff than a buff to the pistol because if you simply buff the pistol I think that the dmr, carbine, and br run the risk of becoming essentially useless.

Speaking dropped plot points, it's worth mentioning that in Halo: Legends, which I assume was commissioned and written by 343, Cortana is seen with a symbol in her eye that is related to Mendicant Bias in some way (the same symbol appears on its body in the same short and again in the H2A terminals) implying that Bias has somehow infiltrated her systems after the events of Halo 3. However, before you start thinking that Bias has taken control of Cortana and has made her into a raving lunatic, you gotta remember a specific line spoken by Bias in Contact Harvest:

"For eons I have watched. Listened to you misinterpret. This is not "Reclamation". This is "Reclaimer" [...] I will reject my bias and make amends... My makers are my masters. I will bring them safely to the Ark."

So, yeah, if Cortana WAS controlled by Mendicant, she wouldn't be trying to stage an AI uprising. Which of course then begs the questions of why a symbol relating to Bias is seen in Cortana's eye in Legends. I guess it too was just discarded over the years.

I also can't help but wonder if Halo 5 was meant to be as co-op focused as it was. There's several pieces of concept art that shows Chief with the same brown cloak from the original E3 teaser all by himself, and he's fighting man-made robots. Likely sent by ONI.

Oh also, forgot where but I saw somebody said 1.2 million people played Arena last season. I am willing to bet that at least 100,000 or MORE are smurf accounts. So probably only 800,000 unique players played. I know @@Naded has like 20, probably same with @@Vetoed

Unique player counts tend to be large, meaningless numbers that sound pretty darn good to anyone who doesn't know any better (aka most players).  That's why we are allowed to see the number of players being tracked per playlist over at halotracker

• Upvote (+1) 5

not everybody though, I was on my mobile and too lazy to quote his post

I meant that we want the Pistol buffed and the magnetism reduced, not just a buff on its own.

I really think 343 is missing by not adding social playlists. I didnt think i would want to play them but i do. Arena is just too sweaty sometimes or im tired after working so i just want to chill. Warzone literally puts me to sleep. Its so boring (in my opinion). I want a social playlist 24/7 i dont care if its rockets, snipers, slayer whatever. Just something that isnt ranked that isnt Warzone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well, I don't know the daily peek number so i can't say much about it. The fact is that 3 months later, a lot of people are still playing Halo 5. But for some reason there are people in here that think que population is dead.

Obviously the Halo 3 numbers will never be reached again no matter what 343 do. But the game is far away from dead

You may not be able to know exact daily peak numbers, but you can know it's been below 35k each of the past two days.  This information isn't directly available to any of us, but it's still possible (and pretty simple) to come up with approximate figures; and often times you are able to know the accuracy of those figures within 2-5k players. (when H5 sits between Battlefront and BF4 in XBL charts).

A lot of people tried Halo 5 during the Holiday season.  That should not be a shock to anyone. Total unique population numbers don't say "a lot of people are still playing Halo 5".  All it says is there were a lot of different XBL gt's that signed in and played H5 at least one time. Also, 3 months after launch < 100 days... 3 months is nothing!

Why can't Halo 3 numbers be reached again? Cause they're super far from where the numbers are now? I understand the odds of achieving that level of success are not great.  Still, when I hear people parrot the line of "Halo 3 success is unrealistic today", it just seems like a passive aggressive way of saying "343 won't make Halo games that play the way they need to in order for them to be great again" ... If that's what's really meant, just say it...not like it isn't true.

Halo can grow and flourish again. It's just gotta go back to being Halo...and that starts with gameplay.

I meant that we want the Pistol buffed and the magnetism reduced, not just a buff on its own.

yes I know, I just included both "demands" purely as a formality, my main point was about not nerfing autos so 343 does not upset big parts of the playbase, which will make any sandbox changes even more difficult, especially since most pros voted for no nerfs on autos as well, sure the ongoing HWC will most certainly have something to do with this result but still, pros don't seem to be entirely against those strong autos

Speaking dropped plot points, it's worth mentioning that in Halo: Legends, which I assume was commissioned and written by 343, Cortana is seen with a symbol in her eye that is related to Mendicant Bias in some way (the same symbol appears on its body in the same short and again in the H2A terminals) implying that Bias has somehow infiltrated her systems after the events of Halo 3. However, before you start thinking that Bias has taken control of Cortana and has made her into a raving lunatic, you gotta remember a specific line spoken by Bias in Contact Harvest:

So, yeah, if Cortana WAS controlled by Mendicant, she wouldn't be trying to stage an AI uprising. Which of course then begs the questions of why a symbol relating to Bias is seen in Cortana's eye in Legends. I guess it too was just discarded over the years.

I also can't help but wonder if Halo 5 was meant to be as co-op focused as it was. There's several pieces of concept art that shows Chief with the same brown cloak from the original E3 teaser all by himself, and he's fighting man-made robots. Likely sent by ONI.

And what happened to that cloak? Frankie even said in 2013 he used it to "hide"....never in game.

Theres a lot that must've changed in the story....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just got a scuf, can't wait to get use to it playing socia.... I mean team slayer, while being champ ranked.

But for real, anyone have issues with their scuf? My right bumper came and it's stickied, might return it.

And what happened to that cloak? Frankie even said in 2013 he used it to "hide"....never in game.

Theres a lot that must've changed in the story....

I still have the Cloaked MC as my Avatar.

Remember that whole gene thing that happened? 

Yeahhhhhhhh.

Like literally nothing from Halo 4 was continued.

• Cortana's death meant nothing.
  • The gene thing is literally forgotten about.
  • Fuck knows what they're doing with the Didact in the comics.
  • Jul M'lady was killed off in the first level of the game after all that build up in Spartan Ops.
  • Halsey for some reason now doesn't want revenge on the UNSC for trying to execute her at the end of Spartan Ops.

Sort of building off of what @@Moa said..

In addition to how nothing from the Halo 4 arc was continued in Halo 5G, everything from the art style, music, and story DRAMATICALLY clash with Halo 5G's crazy shift in tone and direction (aside from certain Sanghelios segments).

Say what you want about Halo 4's aesthetics, it served a purpose for the time being:

• The more intimate, electronic music reflected the character driven narrative/a lot of mystery/forerunner exploration/somber tone.
  • The art style exaggerated not just that 343i wanted to place their own footprint on the universe, but also the deeper changes that took place in the span of 4 years.
  • The side-characters in H4 were intentionally less memorable because the entire story was treated much more grey, realistic, and serious. The reason characters like Johnson/343 Guilty Spark were memorable was because they were unique, larger-than-life characters with distinct (yet unrealistic) personalities.

A lot of people hated Halo 4's story not because it was structurally inconsistent or cheesy (aside from maybe a couple of Cortana's lines), but because no one expected this from a direct continuation of Halo 3. Not from the Master Chief. I'm paraphrasing the way @@Cursed Lemon put in in one of his Youtube videos, but the main Halo games have always been a James Bond-like, light hearted, over-the-top style that was beautifully complimented by its visual and audial aesthetics. Not to mention Halo 4's campaign was much more infuriating and linear from a gameplay perspective.

So when Halo 5: Guardians takes a COMPLETE FUCKING 180 from all of that, trying to frankenstein a grand, Avengers tone into a somber story arc with conflicting motivations, emotions, AND a weak script, it's easy to see why people hate it. It literally takes the weaker elements of Halo 4's story (i.e. uninteresting characters) and smashes it over the head with the epicness the likes of the original trilogy in a completely unorganic way.

And this isn't even going into the blatantly misleading, false marketing..

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh also, forgot where but I saw somebody said 1.2 million people played Arena last season. I am willing to bet that at least 100,000 or MORE are smurf accounts. So probably only 800,000 unique players played. I know @@Naded has like 20, probably same with @@Vetoed.

No way 100,000 smurf accounts are used. Only high onyx and champion players need smurf accounts. That is a very small portion of the population maybe 2-5k players. Even if they use 3 surf accounts each that is only 6-15k smurf accounts.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No way 100,000 smurf accounts are used. Only high onyx and champion players need smurf accounts. That is a very small portion of the population maybe 2-5k players. Even if they use 3 surf accounts each that is only 6-15k smurf accounts.

Most people who are aware of the no social playlist problem have at least one smurf account. People aren't making smurf accounts because they can't find games, they are making them because they want to play every once in awhile without caring about rank/stats. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Most people who are aware of the no social playlist problem have at least one smurf account. People aren't making smurf accounts because they can't find games, they are making them because they want to play every once in awhile without caring about rank/stats.

I have a smurf account to play with friends who are lot as good as me, not because I care about my rank, but because it's no fun for them to get rekt every game.

yes I know, I just included both "demands" purely as a formality, my main point was about not nerfing autos so 343 does not upset big parts of the playbase, which will make any sandbox changes even more difficult, especially since most pros voted for no nerfs on autos as well, sure the ongoing HWC will most certainly have something to do with this result but still, pros don't seem to be entirely against those strong autos

Yeah, I understand. Even if we got a 4sk Pistol, though, I'd personally still like to see the autos nerfed a bit. Not even direct damage nerfs except for the Storm Rifle.

-ADS buffs removed

-Crouching buffs removed

-An aiming system that doesn't make me fear for mankind

-Radar removed

I made a similar list including these points before. Even just the last two changes alone would have a huge positive effect this game and 343 wouldn't even need to touch damage modifiers (again, except for the Storm Rifle, fuck that shit).

@@Moa is raging because he can't stand staring into a mirror...

A lonely virgin, chief, chasing an attractive female obsessively across galaxies...

jk ilu moa