CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

How was Halo 5s story not logical? Cortana is rampant and is fucking crazy. So hard to follow huh?

It's not that the story is confusing, it just makes no sense in relation to the other Halo games (especially 4) or the prerelease media.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's not that the story is confusing, it just makes no sense in relation to the other Halo games (especially 4) or the prerelease media.

Remember that whole gene thing that happened? 

Yeahhhhhhhh.

Like literally nothing from Halo 4 was continued.

• Cortana's death meant nothing.
  • The gene thing is literally forgotten about.
  • Fuck knows what they're doing with the Didact in the comics.
  • Jul M'lady was killed off in the first level of the game after all that build up in Spartan Ops.
  • Halsey for some reason now doesn't want revenge on the UNSC for trying to execute her at the end of Spartan Ops.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Regardless, she is still being pitted against the Chief and as a player, I literally don't know how to feel about that. Should I be hating Cortana? Should I be hating Halsey for making Cortana? Should I be hating Chief for wanting to kill Cortana?

Should I be angry or upset when Cortana finally dies as a result of her trying to let the Created control the Mantle?

It's just a shitty story to be honest. Halo 5 should have been all about Chief dealing with Cortana's death. I wanted him to fuck up missions, make himself become a liability until Blue Team and Halsey swoop in and help out. I wanted him to go rogue, but not for the reason of chasing Cortana around the galaxy like he just got dumped by his high school girlfriend.

You should feel sorry and want to help her control the rampancy. I don't even think this is actual Cortana but one of those copies she made on the Didacts ship.

I honestly think that they got a new writer halfway through development and he didn't want that story.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You should feel sorry and want to help her control the rampanc. I don't even think this is actual Cortana but one of those copies she made on the Didacts ship.

I just can't. Like, I know the whole rampancy thing has turned her into a lunatic but I can't feel sorry for her. I just laugh at the idea that she is being pitted against the Chief like this. 

Halo 5 is doing fine. The population is indeed healthy. Over 1.2 million people played the MP last season

Daily peak populations below H4 = doing fine and healthy indeed?  Awesome!  Welp, I guess we can expect most, if not all, the traditional playlists to return in the near future then.  

Please leave the number twisting to the professionals at 343.  You can trust them with that responsibility. Frankly, they do it really damn well.

• Upvote (+1) 9

It's funny, Bungie put less effort into their story and I care more about that than what 343 is doing. Ever since The Librarian gave MC super powers or whatever it was in Halo 4, I no longer cared about the story. Way to shoehorn a deux ex machina card that 343 will eventually use when they run out of ideas of getting MC out of trouble.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The more I think about the story, the more annoyed I get. Like how did you set all this stuff up in Halo 4 and then just decide to drop it so you can make Cortana this raging lunatic and make Chief behave like a high school kid who just lost his first girlfriend? 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I now have 5 2v2 maps that will be out by the end of this month. Gonna post them all at the same time but I need a name for the map pack.

Beyond map pack? :P

No but really it must suck to be any kind of player except for a forger in this game.

It SUCKS.

We have the tool but not the paint. We can make these badass maps but without the features like gamemodes or file share it means nothing :/

• Upvote (+1) 2

The more I think about the story, the more annoyed I get. Like how did you set all this stuff up in Halo 4 and then just decide to drop it so you can make Cortana this raging lunatic and make Chief behave like a high school kid who just lost his first girlfriend?

Blame that on Brian Reed. What happened to the writer for Halo 4? Why can't we have him back? :'(

Fuckin double post but fuck it

Yep. 343 has a habit of setting up all these important points that will NEVER be revisister. I mean, y'all remember the Janus Key?

Oh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Moa made so many good points about the campaign. That's why I hated it, thought it was incredibly bad and made absolutely no sense. Felt like 343 randomly picked up a new story without anything from H4 carrying over.

Shame Moa rated it 8/10 in honeymoon phrase :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yep. 343 has a habit of setting up all these important points that will NEVER be revisister. I mean, y'all remember the Janus Key?

Oh.

What about Chakas?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@@Moa made so many good points about the campaign. That's why I hated it, thought it was incredibly bad and made absolutely no sense. Felt like 343 randomly picked up a new story without anything from H4 carrying over.

The reason they picked up a new story is because Halo 4 was made with a trilogy in mind (4, 5, 6). Then it was changed to a saga so they abandoned everything and in 343's infinite wisdom, they decided to give the Spartan Ops writer the lead.

Blame that on Brian Reed. What happened to the writer for Halo 4? Why can't we have him back? :'(

Yeah :/ I heard people weren't too keen on Reed after the comics he did and now after Halo 5 is done, I just want him to move into a non-crucial role. Whoever did Halo 4's was great. While it was messy, it at least setup important plot points that should have been continued. I guess Halo 5 has done that with the AI stuff but I'm worried they're going to start off Halo 6 with "oh yeah, Cortana died because he .exe crashed". 

Oh.

HOLY SHIT, THE JANUS KEY. I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THAT ROFL.

Yeahhh. I think I mentioned it here recently but I'd totally drop my review down to 6/10 if I was to do it now. Just so much messy stuff. 

Daily peak populations below H4 = doing fine and healthy indeed?  Awesome!  Welp, I guess we can expect most, if not all, the traditional playlists to return in the near future then.  

Please leave the number twisting to the professionals at 343.  You can trust them with that responsibility. Frankly, they do it really damn well.

Well, I don't know the daily peek number so i can't say much about it. The fact is that 3 months later, a lot of people are still playing Halo 5. But for some reason there are people in here that think que population is dead.

Obviously the Halo 3 numbers will never be reached again no matter what 343 do. But the game is far away from dead

Honestly the lowest I would go with any Halo game would be 7/10.

I didn't like the campaign from a gameplay perspective because they gave me all these tools to move around better, but whenever I tried to use the tools given, I feel I was held back. I tried skipping a battle, and there was a giant door in my way that I couldn't get past. No enemies came through that door, I didn't pick up a key that unlocked it. Once I backtracked defeating every enemy along the way, it just magically opened.

I feel just as restricted with these movement tools as I did without them, with very few exceptions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Still. Can we all say that it was better than Reach or 3?

NO.

3 was disappointing but it WORKED with the other games and had a mostly sensible plot along with the greatest ending you could have ever expected to a trilogy (that cryopod scene was clever as fuck)

Reach despite being non canon to me had decent characters, fine level design, and shit MADE SENSE

Making sense is the real takeaway here

• Upvote (+1) 9

Xbox Live Chart

Battlefront Pop Counts

I've been watching pretty damn close over the past week.  The past two days, H5 never surpassed Battlefront (I missed hours between 2-8am ET [tend to be lowest player counts anyway]).  Battlefront's peak population over those two days has remained under 35k...meaning Halo 5's has been even lower.

To offer some clarity of the importance of all this:  Let's say Warzone and Arena split the population 50/50.

If H5's peak population is around 32k, that means the peak population in Arena (where we're hoping to get more modes/playlists/variety) is a measly 16k.

This what I was getting at @@heytred . No Population, this game nose dived faster than H4. w/e at this point. 

People here always ask where are the playlists? 343 gave us an incomplete game. Simple. #Sustain. Also They gave the worst H5 Campaign  ever produced. Not only story but Gameplay wise as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

Reach despite being non canon to me had decent characters, fine level design, and shit MADE SENSE

I also feel like Reach's epilogue was a nice ending to the Halo series as a whole. It gave a brief, satisfying glimpse into the future, where it appears after decades of strife, humanity is finally bouncing back, and what not. Halsey's speech, in which she thanked Noble Six (who IS essentially the player) for all they've done.

Like Halo 3's legendary ending was a nice way to conclude Chief's story, too. Humanity's hero is finally able to achieve peace, but a child super soldier like John has no place in such a world, so he's put to rest until he's needed again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can't multiple quote right now, dunno why.

@@Moa, yeah you did said that. I think I gave it 4 or 5/10. It was so bad. 

@@EagleBurn Ugh, they still need to make sure it makes sense because it sure as hell didn't in H5. 

@ Yeah, I think it should be in 4-5 range imo. (H5)

Oh also, forgot where but I saw somebody said 1.2 million people played Arena last season. I am willing to bet that at least 100,000 or MORE are smurf accounts. So probably only 800,000 unique players played. I know @@Naded has like 20, probably same with @@Vetoed

• Upvote (+1) 3

About that whole "nerf autos"vs"buff pistol" debate, we need to keep in mind that a lot of people like the current sandbox because autos are a easy killing tool now, taking that power away from casuals will probably cause a uproar on waypoint big enough to revert any changes again. So IMO the only way to come up with a solution that most parties are fine with, would be to buff the pistol while reducing magnetism/AA