CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Developed characters in Halo? When has that ever been a thing?

They were always shallow. But these guys in H5 were non existent. I feel as though some of the squad mates in H5 literally said nothing. I can't even remember what their names were. What was their purpose outside of being conduits for co op play?

The game may as well have been the chief alone with locke and buck chasing him.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Never if people didn't read the books. It just feels different now because when it was new the whole universe felt alien and unknown. So they assumed the information was there just unknown. Now that they've fleshed it all out and its only ankle deep as far as character development people see it differently.

yea I agree that the books flesh it out just that the games never have any good depth story wise or characters and expecting such is a bit silly when it never has been a thing

People expected what? A logical story? Developed characters? Sorry we had such outlandish, strange expectations lol.

How was Halo 5s story not logical? Cortana is rampant and is fucking crazy. So hard to follow huh?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm sorry but that is only because people expected different. We all went into the game thinking it would be completely different than it actually is. That and people can't seem to get over not playing as MC a lot. Could it have been better? Could there have been a better ending? Oh yes. But it still has a better campaign than Halo 3 and slightly better level design than 2. I wish it was longer as well. But people who say that it was terrible are overreacting in my opinion.

Let's be brutally honest...  Nintendo never releases a mainline Super Mario Bros game and makes you play as Toad 70% of the time.  

Trying to replace Chief might make sense from a story standpoint, but it quite possibly was the worst business decision I've ever seen.  

Master Chief = Xbox's Mario.  Halo made Xbox, and the Master Chief made Halo. 

Here's the best (perhaps I should say "most ridiculous") part of it all:  343 could have released Halo 5's campaign as an ODST-type spin-off title, made a good bit of money off of it, while also raking in money from a traditional (gameplay and story-wise) "Halo 5".  

No story is good enough to overcome plain pathetic decision making, because those whom make the decisions control everything to do with the game/franchise...story or otherwise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find arguing that it was falsely advertised kinda hilarious.

Not revealing the entire story and having a twist is apparently false advertising...

I mean, literally all of this Traitor and ONI shit never happened in-game. There is no references to it. Chief goes rogue at the end of Blue Team and then he's stuck on Sanghelios at the end of the game with Locke.

We were lead to believe this would literally be a chase to find Chief and bring him in, instead we got one 'fight' and suddenly Locke is helping Chief.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Let's be brutally honest... Nintendo never releases a mainline Super Mario Bros game and makes you play as Toad 70% of the time.

Trying to replace Chief might make sense from a story standpoint, but it quite possibly was the worst business decision I've ever seen.

Master Chief = Xbox's Mario. Halo made Xbox, and the Master Chief made Halo.

Here's the best (perhaps I should say "most ridiculous") part of it all: 343 could have released Halo 5's campaign as an ODST-type spin-off title, made a good bit of money off of it, while also raking in money from a traditional (gameplay and story-wise) "Halo 5".

No story is good enough to overcome plain pathetic decision making, because those whom make the decisions control everything to do with the game/franchise...story or otherwise.

Maybe cause Mario games are about Mario (Luigis Mansion is a Mario game without Mario and its amazing) but Halo isn't about MCC. Only 5 Halo games have had MC in it.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They were always shallow. But these guys in H5 were non existent. I feel as though some of the squad mates in H5 literally said nothing. I can't even remember what their names were. What was their purpose outside of being conduits for co op play?

The game may as well have been the chief alone with locke and buck chasing him.

I mean I agree but it's basically the same thing with every Halo

Johnson is useless in h1 and very rarely talks but is usually there. H2 he says some funny things but practically it and in h3 he dead

Shipmaster is even worse and doesn't have anything about him besides him being his title.

Etc

Tanaka and what's her name definitely suck but the lack of depth they had isn't incredibly alien when you look at the other side characters

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright when did I say that you shouldn't flip your shit about false advertisement? I said that peoples expectations were different than the game turned out to be. False advertisement and lying are not a part of this discussion.

But thats part of it....the game didnt have anything they advertised and the actual campaign was disjointed as fuck with zero actual characters or anything you'd care about

HALO 4 did WAY better

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

But thats part of it....the game didnt have anything they advertised and the actual campaign was disjointed as fuck with zero actual characters or anything you'd care about

HALO 4 did WAY better

And that's why Halo 4 is ahead of 5. But compared to Reach and 3 its fantastic.

Developed characters in Halo? When has that ever been a thing?

I mean, they talked a lot about how Chief was going to question his humanity and what not in Halo 5 after Cortana's death.

I mean, they talked a lot about how Chief was going to question his humanity and what not in Halo 5 after Cortana's death.

I honestly think that they were going to go that route but something happened and they completely changed the story.

How was Halo 5s story not logical? Cortana is rampant and is fucking crazy. So hard to follow huh?

Cortana without Chief...especially a "fucking crazy" Cortana without Chief, is just a terrible idea...period.  

With H5, 343 asked everyone whom had come to love Cortana, Chief, and the duo of Chief and Cortana, to suddenly be excited and happy about a game that totally separates the two of them, portrays one as a raging lunatic, and advertises the other as having gone rogue/perhaps turning on the UNSC.

Seriously... Just how dumb does one have to be in order to think that's such a good idea that it actually makes it onto store shelves???

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cortana without Chief...especially a "fucking crazy" Cortana without Chief, is just a terrible idea...period.

With H5, 343 asked everyone whom had come to love Cortana, Chief, and the duo of Chief and Cortana, to suddenly be excited and happy about a game that totally separates the two of them, portrays one as a raging lunatic, and advertises the other as having gone rogue/perhaps turning on the UNSC.

Seriously... Just how dumb does one have to be in order to think that's such a good idea, that it actually makes it onto store shelves???

Halo 3 Cortana acted like a raging lunatic throughout her entire level. And we all new that she was going to go Rampant and nothing would save her. I think you just can't get over the duo falling to pieces.

I now have 5 2v2 maps that will be out by the end of this month. Gonna post them all at the same time but I need a name for the map pack.

Beyond map pack? :P

No but really it must suck to be any kind of player except for a forger in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe cause Mario games are about Mario (Luigis Mansion is a Mario game without Mario and its amazing) but Halo isn't about MCC. Only 5 Halo games have had MC in it.

First - "Luigi's Mansion" is LUIGI'S Mansion...not a mainline Super Mario Bro's game...

Second - That's right.  5 games have had Master Chief in them, and which 5 are they?  Are they the 5 mainline, numbered Halo titles? *shock and amazement*  They are!

The Rest - See, that's only going to be the perspective of someone who has read the books or looked deeper into the story than just the games. That viewpoint represents a small percentage of the existing fanbase, and a big fat 0% of new players hoping to be brought in to the franchise.

Halo is about Master Chief.  People who have spent time reading further into the story may not like that, but if you want the games to continue, the mainline games MUST be treated as such.  Halo became popular because of Master Chief and its simple but unique gameplay.  If you abandon either of these, you run into problems...if you abandon both, you're no longer relevant (because you're product is not what most of your customers expect).

I now have 5 2v2 maps that will be out by the end of this month. Gonna post them all at the same time but I need a name for the map pack.

Beyond map pack? :P

No but really it must suck to be any kind of player except for a forger in this game.

Buddy Cop Map Pack

Halo 3 Cortana acted like a raging lunatic throughout her entire level. And we all new that she was going to go Rampant and nothing would save her. I think you just can't get over the duo falling to pieces.

I'd rather she died after going full on rampant in Halo 4 than whatever they're doing to her now. 

Like, you're literally turning Cortana into a fucking villain. You're putting Cortana in the same area as the Prophets, the Didact, Guilty Spark, etc after being Chief's companion for four games.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Easy to use auto's destroys harder to use pistol. Rifle's also have a significant advantage over the pistol leading to snowball gameplay.

The pistol also has a horrific average kill time, furthering exacerbating the problems with the Ill-conceived Spartan abilities. Letting players stay alive when they make crucial positioning mistakes. Also makes the most over-powered sniper rifle in series history even more deadly, and is generally useless against any other power weapon. In other halo games I have a fighting chance against a pw, in H5 I might as well put my controller down. Pistol needs a buff period.

Yea, I think everyone (here) recognizes that autos are way stronger in relation to the pistol than they should be. I simply think the solution is nerfing autos (and their frequency of placements on maps) instead of buffing the pistol. 

The sniper is only so broken because the hitboxes and magnetism for it are laughably generous. Again, I'd rather see a nerf to the broken stuff than a buff to the pistol because if you simply buff the pistol I think that the dmr, carbine, and br run the risk of becoming essentially useless.

Lol!  I personally don't care about the story...at all.  

Thanks though...I think you may have given me a glimpse at what it's like to be part of meetings in Kirkland regarding the direction of this franchise.

I'd rather she died after going full on rampant in Halo 4 than whatever they're doing to her now.

Like, you're literally turning Cortana into a fucking villain. You're putting Cortana in the same area as the Prophets, the Didact, Guilty Spark, etc after being Chief's companion for four games.

343 Guilty Spark is not technically a villain. He's an antagonist yes but his motives aren't inherently evil. Nor are Cortanas (although she's going about it the wrong way) and the Didact is fucking crazy cause of the Gravemind. The only one of those that are evil on their own is Truth and the Prophets. Although they didn't want the covenant to not be destroyed. The Arbiter could even be called a villain since he's burned many worlds and killed billions of people.

Yea, I think everyone (here) recognizes that autos are way stronger in relation to the pistol than they should be. I simply think the solution is nerfing autos (and their frequency of placements on maps) instead of buffing the pistol.

The sniper is only so broken because the hitboxes and magnetism for it are laughably generous. Again, I'd rather see a nerf to the broken stuff than a buff to the pistol because if you simply buff the pistol I think that the dmr, carbine, and br run the risk of becoming essentially useless.

Because God forbid a game have decent kill times, rite?

I mean I agree but it's basically the same thing with every Halo

Johnson is useless in h1 and very rarely talks but is usually there. H2 he says some funny things but practically it and in h3 he dead

Shipmaster is even worse and doesn't have anything about him besides him being his title.

Etc

Tanaka and what's her name definitely suck but the lack of depth they had isn't incredibly alien when you look at the other side characters

None of those guys are playable characters or even squad mates.

343 Guilty Spark is not technically a villain. He's an antagonist yes but his motives aren't inherently evil. Nor are Cortanas (although she's going about it the wrong way) and the Didact is fucking crazy cause of the Gravemind. The only one of those that are evil on their own is Truth and the Prophets. Although they didn't want the covenant to not be destroyed. The Arbiter could even be called a villain since he's burned many worlds and killed billions of people.

Regardless, she is still being pitted against the Chief and as a player, I literally don't know how to feel about that. Should I be hating Cortana? Should I be hating Halsey for making Cortana? Should I be hating Chief for wanting to kill Cortana? 

Should I be angry or upset when Cortana finally dies as a result of her trying to let the Created control the Mantle?

It's just a shitty story to be honest. Halo 5 should have been all about Chief dealing with Cortana's death. I wanted him to fuck up missions, make himself become a liability until Blue Team and Halsey swoop in and help out. I wanted him to go rogue, but not for the reason of chasing Cortana around the galaxy like he just got dumped by his high school girlfriend.

• Upvote (+1) 2