CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

What is wrong with the 5 shot pistol?

A 4 shot pistol would never happen, and I have a very hard time seeing how it wouldn't break the game's balance.

Easy to use auto's destroys harder to use pistol. Rifle's also have a significant advantage over the pistol leading to snowball gameplay.

The pistol also has a horrific average kill time, furthering exacerbating the problems with the Ill-conceived Spartan abilities. Letting players stay alive when they make crucial positioning mistakes. Also makes the most over-powered sniper rifle in series history even more deadly, and is generally useless against any other power weapon. In other halo games I have a fighting chance against a pw, in H5 I might as well put my controller down. Pistol needs a buff period.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does anyone here use pistol only? Obviously the other precision weapons are easier to use and kill with, but after I run around with a BR for a few minutes, my pistol shot gets worse and I get fucked when a precision weapon isn't around.

At your service. B)

If they expect this game's population to be "sustained" by weekly info drops about monthly content drops...they're in for a really rude awakening.  

I agree, the info they sent out last week was good, but they're losing the attention of prospective players/customers by the hour at this point.  

The entire "monthly DLC" model is plain horseshit.  I'm honestly not even sure if getting on the megaphone and dropping info more frequently would really help at this point.  

The game is tanking, and I know some here don't want/like to hear that...but I'm just pointing it out, in hopes that maybe someone from 343--who knows good and well that it is indeed tanking--might consider pushing those with the final say to try something different and divert from the current plan.

The current plan is bullshit, and it has always been bullshit.  They need to drop multiple months of content together, and simply get this game completed as soon as possible.  That's the only way this game won't beat Halo 4's title of "quickest to enter the memory hole".  Right now, H5 looks to be slightly ahead of H4's pace.

Holmes came here and went on about how well H5 is doing. He even said H5 has the best player retention of any halo game outside of H3. It really is hopeless because the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem and 343 is not going to do that.

I would say that if you're a person who does not have fun with H5 right now that you should probably just move on and pop back in to see how H6 is doing because this game is not going to change in any kind of drastic fashion. They like their gameplay. They like their matchmaking set up. They like thier "sustain plan". They're not interested in feedback in regards to meaningful change.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Easy to use auto's destroys harder to use pistol. Rifle's also have a significant advantage over the pistol leading to snowball gameplay.

The pistol also has a horrific average kill time, furthering exacerbating the problems with the Ill-conceived Spartan abilities. Letting players stay alive when they make crucial positioning mistakes. Also makes the most over-powered sniper rifle in series history even more deadly, and is generally useless against any other power weapon. In other halo games I have a fighting chance against a pw, in H5 I might as well put my controller down. Pistol needs a buff period.

Devil's advocate:  You can always grab one of 75 other power weapons on map...

Rockets

Rockets (called "Needler")

Rockets (called "Hydra")

Rockets (called "Incineration Cannon")

Rockets, (called "Rail Gun")

etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Holmes came here and went on about how well H5 is doing. He even said H5 has the best player retention of any halo game outside of H3. It really is hopeless because the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem and 343 is not going to do that.

I would say that if you're a person who does not have fun with H5 right now that you should probably just move on and pop back in to see how H6 is doing because this game is not going to change in any kind of drastic fashion.

that was like the third time they went the "lol guys populations great stop worrying" route without providing a shred of evidence.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

I am.

You think Blops 3, the game in first place only has 25k more of a population than H5, the game in 12th place?

If the gap between games was that small you'd see constant, rapid flip flopping throughout the top 12 games.

I'd guess blops 3 holds a steady 100-150k throughout the day. Possibly more.

What is wrong with the 5 shot pistol?

A 4 shot pistol would never happen, and I have a very hard time seeing how it wouldn't break the game's balance.

What exactly do you think would break? The pistol vs the power weapons/automatics/anything is at an all time low compared to the chosen utility weapon in every other Halo ever except for maybe when we had bloom in Reach in terms of usefulness off spawn. The real issue with Halo 5 is that one of the biggest balancing tools used to buff weapons is to make them easier to aim with. Combine that with then making everything have an extremely similar perfect kill time and increasing the range on basically every short range weapon it ends up leaving you with a game where your spawn weapon is good but probably worse than nearly anything you find on the floor simply because everything else is way easier to use. It would be another story if they all had unique effects like plasma stun from H1 to differentiate and give each a very real and useful niche but it isn't that way.

In H5 its either a rocket or a snipe (with insane hit boxes) that instantly kills you or weapon #123123 with a near identical kill time that just happens to be way easier than the pistol to effectively wield. The bottom line imo is that the pistol is harder to use than any gun in the entire game and its kill time does not reflect that increase in difficulty at all. Reducing it by one bullet would emphasize using the most skill based weapon because it will be the best (within reason rockets/snipe will be better) if you're the best. Most pros miss multiple pistol shots regularly in battles. They do not miss half as often with other weapons. Thus everything else would still be useful and frankly better still in many situations. It would just open another avenue for an extremely skilled/confident player to shine or clutch a kill on someone challenging with an AR or something equally easy to use if they play it perfectly.

You think Blops 3, the game in first place only has 25k more of a population than H5, the game in 12th place?

If the gap between games was that small you'd see constant, rapid flip flopping throughout the top 12 games.

I'd guess blops 3 holds a steady 100-150k throughout the day. Possibly more.

I'd call bullshit on that honestly. 80k tops.
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I would say that if you're a person who does not have fun with H5 right now that you should probably just move on and pop back in to see how H6 is doing because this game is not going to change in any kind of drastic fashion. They like their gameplay. They like their matchmaking set up. They like "sustain plan".

I agree with everything except the part about Halo 6.  If Halo 6 doesn't revert to gameplay more like any of the games in the original trilogy, this series' MP will finally die.  There is nothing unique about this game, and the REQ system suggests 343 was fairly conscious of that.

I'm going to continue speaking out...where I know they have a chance to hear my little voice, because I realize Halo MP likely will not come back around again if 343 ignores all these blatant, obvious warnings once again.  The series isn't dead yet, so I'll continue to do what I can by expressing my opinions and criticisms.

As a strictly MP fan, I figure this is likely the last time I'll have anything to be upset with, or frustrated by.  If H6 proves to be another 343 circus parade, advertising a brand new game with a Halo label on it...we'll all have to move on.  

So, I appreciate the advice...even agree with it to large extent...but I'll keep on keeping on till we at least have a good look at H6.

I agree with everything except the part about Halo 6. If Halo 6 doesn't revert to gameplay more like any of the games in the original trilogy, this series' MP will finally die. There is nothing unique about this game, and the REQ system suggests 343 was fairly conscious of that.

I'm going to continue speaking out...where I know they have a chance to hear my little voice, because I realize Halo MP likely will not come back around again if 343 ignores all these blatant, obvious warnings once again. The series isn't dead yet, so I'll continue to do what I can by expressing my opinions and criticisms.

As a strictly MP fan, I figure this is likely the last time I'll have anything to be upset, or frustrated by. If H6 proves to be another 343 circus parade, advertising a brand new game with a Halo label on it...we'll all have to move on.

So, I appreciate the advice...even agree with it to large extent...but I'll keep on keeping on till we at least have a good look at H6.

The MP might but definitely not the series. The lore and story is fantastic (especially Halo 1, 4, and 5) there are also the books and movies. I'd still buy any Halo as long as it had exceptional story even if it had no MP.

The MP might but definitely not the series. The lore and story is fantastic (especially Halo 1, 4, and 5) there are also the books and movies. I'd still buy any Halo as long as it had exceptional story even if it had no MP.

I don't doubt that, and am happy to hear you enjoy other aspects of the game, which I agree will likely keep on going.  For how long, though?  In my opinion, soon as the MP aspect dies, the entire series will officially be on a timer.  Admittedly, I may be overestimating the emphasis MP has on overall sales numbers, but I seriously doubt I am.

H5 is widely considered to be the worst campaign and story of the franchise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sorry but that is only because people expected different. We all went into the game thinking it would be completely different than it actually is. That and people can't seem to get over not playing as MC a lot. Could it have been better? Could there have been a better ending? Oh yes. But it still has a better campaign than Halo 3 and slightly better level design than 2. I wish it was longer as well. But people who say that it was terrible are overreacting in my opinion.
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I'm sorry but that is only because people expected different. We all went into the game thinking it would be completely different than it actually is. That and people can't seem to get over not playing as MC a lot. Could it have been better? Could there have been a better ending? Oh yes. But it still has a better campaign than Halo 3 and slightly better level design than 2. I wish it was longer as well. But people who say that it was terrible are overreacting in my opinion.

So its ok to flip shit with MCC because it wasnt as advertised

But lets not complain about a falsely advertised campaign that had dick bupkis to do with the actual story

• Upvote (+1) 2

People expected what? A logical story? Developed characters? Sorry we had such outlandish, strange expectations lol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If I had to rate the campaign of the FPS Halo games it would go

ODST, Halo CE, Halo 4, Halo 5, Halo 2, Halo Reach (its only so low cause the story fucked up pretty much all of the Fall of Reach lore), and then Halo 3

Developed characters in Halo? When has that ever been a thing?

Never if people didn't read the books. It just feels different now because when it was new the whole universe felt alien and unknown. So they assumed the information was there just unknown. Now that they've fleshed it all out and its only ankle deep as far as character development people see it differently.

So its ok to flip shit with MCC because it wasnt as advertised

But lets not complain about a falsely advertised campaign that had dick bupkis to do with the actual story

Alright when did I say that you shouldn't flip your shit about false advertisement? I said that peoples expectations were different than the game turned out to be. False advertisement and lying are not a part of this discussion.