CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I almost wonder if Riptide and Overgrowth were designed with the new gametypes in mind. I really think Riptide will be a good ball map.

I almost wonder if Riptide and Overgrowth weren't designed with the new gametypes in mind. I really think Riptide will be a good ball map.

Riptide + Oddball =  :intensifies:  :intensifies:  :intensifies:  :intensifies:

You think 343 would place the weapons sword/shotgun if the pro team strongly disagreed ?.

You think 343 would make the sniper overpowered as hell if the pro team strongly disagreed?

They might have a lot of experience but ultimately they don't get the final say.

I hope this next Bulletin says the update is coming out next week.

They won't give you a solid date, never do.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I almost wonder if Riptide and Overgrowth weren't designed with the new gametypes in mind. I really think Riptide will be a good ball map.

Damn you might be onto something there, Riptide Ball could be good.

Mostly because the map has 200 routes that lead nowhere and otherwise useless rooms.

As for Overgrowth, to me, it looks like it was designed to run around a full speed with a sword. Hard to think it's supposed to be anything else than that. Excluding one awful spawn point where you can trap people to death from two angles and no escape route, there's no real power position or anything to contest. All you want is a CQC weapon and a corner, nothing more.

The map has this weird Destiny vibe where you feel like you're supposed to chase people down rather than hold a position.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Damn you might be onto something there, Riptide Ball could be good.

Mostly because the map has 200 routes that lead nowhere and otherwise useless rooms.

As for Overgrowth, to me, it looks like it was designed to run around a full speed with a sword. Hard to think it's supposed to be anything else than that. Excluding one awful spawn point where you can trap people to death from two angles and no escape route, there's no real power position or anything to contest. All you want is a CQC weapon and a corner, nothing more.

The map has this weird Destiny vibe where you feel like you're supposed to chase people down rather than hold a position.

With the new ball mechanics, I feel like the double thrust could cancel the sword out. But that could just be me playing it out in my head and be totally wrong.

Either way, I'm stoked to give it a shot and see how it goes. 

Overgrowths spawns are a nightmare for teams that get trapped. Ball on that map may help because it wouldn't be as easy to setup with 3 guys shooting and 1 guy just thrusting around with the ball.

Side note: I can see some dope ass plays happening from players that are skilled in OBJ.

You think 343 would make the sniper overpowered as hell if the pro team strongly disagreed?

They might have a lot of experience but ultimately they don't get the final say.

They won't give you a solid date, never do.

Yea but they at least say what week it should be.

With the new ball mechanics, I feel like the double thrust could cancel the sword out. But that could just be me playing it out in my head and be totally wrong.

Either way, I'm stoked to give it a shot and see how it goes. 

Overgrowths spawns are a nightmare for teams that get trapped. Ball on that map may help because it wouldn't be as easy to setup with 3 guys shooting and 1 guy just thrusting around with the ball.

Side note: I can see some dope ass plays happening from players that are skilled in OBJ.

You mean Ball on Overgrowth? I don't think it would be fun. Overgrowth is just a poor man's Plaza, except pushes aren't as organized and spawns are far worse. TS and Strongholds Plaza both do a better job at making people organize pushes than Overgrowth ever will. And when you're holding the ball, you're most likely not going to be pushed up near where spawn trapping is viable since it's not a safe position (it would create a negative influence anyway, making people spawn on the other side of the map).

As for ball vs. sword? Doesn't really matter, the ball holder shouldn't be fighting or attempting to get kills with the ball. It's just a mechanic to make moving and staying alive more viable.

Riptide could work because the map layout just has a bunch of rooms with strange entrances and sightlines, which is the kind of thing you want for Ball. You want people to have push from different places at the same time and break a perfect setup. Since there's a lot of different rooms, there's a potential for many setups to be viable, and since the map is enclosed, it's also harder to play ball since you can't just throw it out, so decision-making with the ball is more important.

So you know all that without actually playing it. Some armchair quaterbacking i see. Would yo ever pick up a BR having a 4 shot pistol ?. You have to play it to know.

We already know all the rifles are easier to use than the pistol. Having a 4-shot pistol would make it so you'd only ever use the other precision weapons at mid to long range where the pistol's reliability at hitting shots drops off significantly.

You mean Ball on Overgrowth? I don't think it would be fun. Overgrowth is just a poor man's Plaza, except pushes aren't as organized and spawns are far worse. TS and Strongholds Plaza both do a better job at making people organize pushes than Overgrowth ever will. And when you're holding the ball, you're most likely not going to be pushed up near where spawn trapping is viable since it's not a safe position (it would create a negative influence anyway, making people spawn on the other side of the map).

As for ball vs. sword? Doesn't really matter, the ball holder shouldn't be fighting or attempting to get kills with the ball. It's just a mechanic to make moving and staying alive more viable.

Riptide could work because the map layout just has a bunch of rooms with strange entrances and sightlines, which is the kind of thing you want for Ball. You want people to have push from different places at the same time and break a perfect setup. Since there's a lot of different rooms, there's a potential for many setups to be viable, and since the map is enclosed, it's also harder to play ball since you can't just throw it out, so decision-making with the ball is more important.

I was just referring to Ball in general being fun. I agree, all in all Overgrowth is a bad map. But I am looking forward to seeing how Ball plays on it to see if it's any different.

Ball Vs. Sword, it's definitely not ideal, but with the Ball being a one hit melee and the swords mechanics being how they are, I don't see any reason why the ball can't shut the sword down if it came to it.

So you know all that without actually playing it. Some armchair quaterbacking i see. Would yo ever pick up a BR having a 4 shot pistol ?. You have to play it to know.

Who cares if players don't pick up the BR? Is there some requirement that every weapon must be used in a game?

• Upvote (+1) 2

343 better at least start talking about this month's update, because the game's population is in free fall.

They had a fairly good start in last week's update.

What is wrong with the 5 shot pistol?

A 4 shot pistol would never happen, and I have a very hard time seeing how it wouldn't break the game's balance.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

OR better yet, a random game mode in a playlist simply titled "Ball"  that includes Grifball, Oddball, Assault, etc.

As of right now, they'll have to remove a playlist to add any others.  The population has struggled to break 30k almost the entire week.  

Remember, whatever the pop count is, you basically have to cut it in half to get a good estimate of the Arena pop count (bc Warzone).

I think Moa's right, it'll just be a common weekend playlist.  

Griffball is popular, but it's not more popular than Doubles, Snipers, Action Sack, Invasion, Social Slayer, etc. and so on.

343 better at least start talking about this month's update, because the game's population is in free fall.

Where are you getting population numbers

• Upvote (+1) 1

What is wrong with the 5 shot pistol?

A 4 shot pistol would never happen, and I have a very hard time seeing how it wouldn't break the game's balance.

The idea being here that the current weapon balance is "broken", and a 4sk pistol would be an improvement in making the game more competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 3

OR better yet, a random game mode in a playlist simply titled "Ball"  that includes Grifball, Oddball, Assault, etc.

The only problem I see that is Grifball is so different compared to others. While not a bad gametype(I love Grifball), I can see people treating it like Breakout in Team Arena

• Upvote (+1) 1

They had a fairly good start in last week's update.

If they expect this game's population to be "sustained" by weekly info drops about monthly content drops...they're in for a really rude awakening.  

I agree, the info they sent out last week was good, but they're losing the attention of prospective players/customers by the hour at this point.  

The entire "monthly DLC" model is plain horseshit.  I'm honestly not even sure if getting on the megaphone and dropping info more frequently would really help at this point.  

The game is tanking, and I know some here don't want/like to hear that...but I'm just pointing it out, in hopes that maybe someone from 343--who knows good and well that it is indeed tanking--might consider pushing those with the final say to try something different and divert from the current plan.

The current plan is bullshit, and it has always been bullshit.  They need to drop multiple months of content together, and simply get this game completed as soon as possible.  That's the only way this game won't beat Halo 4's title of "quickest to enter the memory hole".  Right now, H5 looks to be slightly ahead of H4's pace.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo is usually comparable with Battlefront, which has population stats at swbstats.com

Xbox Live Chart

Battlefront Pop Counts

I've been watching pretty damn close over the past week.  The past two days, H5 never surpassed Battlefront (I missed hours between 2-8am ET [tend to be lowest player counts anyway]).  Battlefront's peak population over those two days has remained under 35k...meaning Halo 5's has been even lower.

To offer some clarity of the importance of all this:  Let's say Warzone and Arena split the population 50/50.

If H5's peak population is around 32k, that means the peak population in Arena (where we're hoping to get more modes/playlists/variety) is a measly 16k.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Xbox Live Chart

Battlefront Pop Counts

I've been watching pretty damn close over the past week. The past two days, H5 never surpassed Battlefront (I missed hours between 2-8am ET [tend to be lowest player counts anyway]). Battlefront's peak population over those two days has remained under 35k...meaning Halo 5's has been even lower.

I bet you that BLOPS3 isn't over 60k
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I bet you that BLOPS3 isn't over 60k

I wouldn't bet against you...but only because I truly don't care what BLOPS3 population is.  You might be right or wrong.  I dunno.