CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

<p>

Since H5's Default Settings = Competitive settings, I'm copy/pasting this from a recent thread. Pretty much my only actual complaints with Arena.

• Remove Radar
  • Remove Regret Slayer
  • Remove Storm Rifles from Empire, Truth
  • Remove SMGs from Fathom
  • Remove BRs from Coliseum, Fathom
  • Nerf Storm Rifle
  • Buff Plasma Caster Charge Shot
  • Reduce Sniper Hitbox
  • Replace Plasma Caster on Truth w/ Rockets/OS/SPNKr
  • Based on Pro Team Feedback: consider adding Riptide
You want to remove Regret and are ok with Slayer Rig.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Since H5's Default Settings = Competitive settings, I'm copy/pasting this from a recent thread. Pretty much my only actual complaints with Arena.

• Remove Radar
  • Remove Regret Slayer
  • Remove Storm Rifles from Empire, Truth
  • Remove SMGs from Fathom
  • Remove BRs from Coliseum, Fathom
  • Nerf Storm Rifle
  • Buff Plasma Caster Charge Shot
  • Reduce Sniper Hitbox
  • Replace Plasma Caster on Truth w/ Rockets/OS/SPNKr
  • Based on Pro Team Feedback: consider adding Riptide

4 SHOT PISTOL

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

4 SHOT PISTOL

The likeliness of this happening is slim to none. If they're going to do anything to the Magnum, they'll make its fire rate faster.

I don't know what it is specifically, but for me it's impossible to enjoy playing it. I think 100 is too low of a score to achieve and I also find it intolerable in a competitive setting, but what else would they put in considering they would only have two gametypes otherwise. It might just be that to me the maps are completely awful mixing with the trashbag sandbox we have, but I can't stomach strongholds. 

EDIT: I guess what I have been thinking about, is if you are going to focus a gametype on controlling specific points on the map, why not just go with the tried and true king of the hill? But I might just be being biased towards previous halos and previous gametypes. I will readily admit that I don't have as much experience with strongholds in Halo 5 as a lot of people (most people) on this forum do, but I haven't played it once and thought "this is a great gametype."

Honestly it sounds like you dislike it more due to bias against H5 rather than actual problems with the gametype itself.

Strongholds is a very good gamemode both for playing and watching, I wrote this post a while ago in a different thread but this is why I think it's so good:

1. The game won't end due to time running out.

- In other modes playing for time is something you regularly see. It draws the game length out and usually isn't very interesting to watch or play.

2. A team is scoring at all times.

- This keeps tension high and means that one team is almost always being aggressive because points are always at stake.

- In games like King you can have an entire hill go by with no one setting foot in it or in Oddball where the ball is left just sitting there. It can create long sections where nothing is really going on and can create some pretty "stalematey" gameplay.

3. The game is very high action.

- Because one team is always winning points the other is always on the offensive. It creates this interesting dynamic of constantly flipping which team is attacking and defending; there's never a stalemate in Strongholds

4. A point has to be captured for a team to score.

- This helps prevent what I mean by "scrappy time". You immediately start scoring upon entering the hill in King whereas in Strongholds you need a properly coordinated push to control the point until it's captured.

5. - A player isn't required to be "incapacitated" for a team to be scoring.

- I've never been that keen on the dynamic where one player is forced to lose their weapon, move more slowly or be forced to remain in one location to score. This is largely just a personal preference for when I'm playing but it does have a fairly major impact on my last point.

6. As I said before there is a much greater potential for comebacks.

- Having a large point deficit in King or Ball makes it far more difficult to come back and win than in Strongholds, couple of the previous points link into this:

- No scrappy scoring means if you lose control you can't expect to gain those last few points from scrappy plays such as suicidal pushes.

- Not incapacitating a player means that if the losing team gains control they aren't put at a disadvantage when scoring making it easier for team to maintain control.

- This can make for some extremely exciting and clutch matches. It's not often you'll see a match of King or Ball where a team comes back from losing 0-99 and wins. That can happen in Strongholds (I've actually had a number of games had something similar occur and that's in solo matchmaking...).

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Does anyone else feel like your shields recharge way too fast? Because I cannot tell you how many times I've been in the middle of a med/close range fight with someone, only to have them thrust away and be back to half or even full shields by the time I get them back in my sights.

4 SHOT PISTOL

Did anyone actually tested this ?. It would require a lot of work to test this and gather data. Is a huge change, renders all rifles useless and no one knows how it would change map flow. I don't know until I don't see gameplay, pro players playing with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Did anyone actually tested this ?. It would require a lot of work to test this and gather data. Is a huge change, renders all rifles useless and no one knows how it would change map flow. I don't know until I don't see gameplay, pro players playing with it.

No its doesn't.

BR = Ease of use + slightly longer range

DMR = Ease of use + Long range

LR = 3 shot kill

Carbine = who gives a fuck the sandbox is so over saturated

There is currently no way to test it because changing modifiers fucks to much with all the rest of the weapons but one thing is for sure, there would be a lot less people thrusting away to safety. It would also be an indirect nerf to the autos which is sorely needed.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No its doesn't.

BR = Ease of use + slightly longer range

DMR = Ease of use + Long range

LR = 3 shot kill

Carbine = who gives a fuck the sandbox is so over saturated

There is currently no way to test it because changing modifiers fucks to much with all the rest of the weapons but one thing is for sure, there would be a lot less people thrusting away to safety. It would also be an indirect nerf to the autos which is sorely needed.

So you know all that without actually playing it. Some armchair quaterbacking i see. Would yo ever pick up a BR having a 4 shot pistol ?. You have to play it to know.

• Downvote (-1) 6

So you know all that without actually playing it. Some armchair quaterbacking i see. Would yo ever pick up a BR having a 4 shot pistol ?. You have to play it to know.

What even is giving you the idea here that we need a pistol+ 3-4 other weapons that fill its exact role?
  • Upvote (+1) 3

What even is giving you the idea here that we need a pistol+ 3-4 other weapons that fill its exact role?

People like to use various gun. And we need those people if we want to reach the golden Halo days again.
  • Downvote (-1) 7

People like to use various gun. And we need those people if we want to reach the golden Halo days again.

Yes, back in the glory days with the BR, sniper, rockets, sword...um, shotgun...uh...

• Upvote (+1) 6

So what does the pro team at 343i do?

Play test new maps, modes, etc. 

They test the game.

I'm really fed up with having to try every game, I just want some proper social. Did they say anything about that weekend social slayer playlist being permanent?

Nope. They think everything is good the way it is.

Yes, back in the glory days with the BR, sniper, rockets, sword...um, shotgun...uh...

Normal matchmaking had Spikes, bruteshot, hammer, smg, items, we even had the flamethrower in normal maps. And people wonder why halo was so popular for the casuals.

Our ground vehicle kills progression is truely pathetic lately.

I added you on XBL the other day. I'm down to grind WZ with you whenever we're on the same time.

Normal matchmaking had Spikes, bruteshot, hammer, smg, items, we even had the flamethrower in normal maps. And people wonder why halo was so popular for the casuals.

You'l notice everything you listed there offers significantly different gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Speaking of playlists

Wow that was spot on for me. It's sucks to see where Halo has been as where it's at now. And, like he mentioned, Bungie handed 343 the golden ticket for Halo going forward and it was totally ignored in my opinion. He's probably also spot on with the micro-transactions in relation to types and modes as well.

I know the ultimate point of the video was to lean on 343 as a community to get them to add the things we have come to expect in a Halo game, but being reminded of what we had before and the road map Bungie handed 343 and what 343 chose to do with that map is really disappointing. I just wish they'd fix MCC as close to 100% as possible and that would be my go to Halo game when I need my Halo fix. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

You just gave a reason to pick up a BR, people like to look at it and people will still like to look at if the pistol is a 4sk

especially if 343 reduces the magnetism on the pistol but keeps it the same for the BR

They tested Overgrowth? Lol they are bad at what they do.

Oh I forgot the pro team have the final say in everything.

Silly me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh I forgot the pro team have the final say in everything.

Silly me.

You think 343 would place the weapons sword/shotgun if the pro team strongly disagreed ?.
  • Downvote (-1) 2