CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

No. I've been banned for doing it.

I've never been banned for doing it. I dashboarded every game of Arena Breakout and Overgrowth FFA over the course of 2+ weeks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I like riptide. Probably a top 3 map IMO.

I don´t think 343 knows how to balance asym maps. The initial spawns always heavily favor a team. Like for instance red team on Slayer Rig or Blue team on Overgrowth.

I like they layout for Strongholds Riptide. I kinda wish the slayer layout was the same.

Why do people dislike it? It's been a while since we've had a nice room based map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you guys think coliseum slayer would play better with static, sided spawns? Fathom as well?

We've been asking since h3 or Reach to have non static sides spawns for Slayer (anyone remember Sanc Reach?) and 343 delivers, now you guys want static again?

We've been asking since h3 or Reach to have non static sides spawns for Slayer (anyone remember Sanc Reach?) and 343 delivers, now you guys want static again?

Lol what? I have never asked for that ever. Literally not even once.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Who in the world would ever ask for non-static spawns? That's what vanilla H3 had and that got changed in MLG for a reason. Anyone that's was asking for dynamic slayer spawns probably also wanted AR starts.

Lol what? I have never asked for that ever. Literally not even once.

I'm saying collectively, everyone for the most part has wanted non static for slayer. I remember really well in Reach MLG that we were complaining about Sanc having static spawns in Slayer because it just made it delve down to staying at Hut and Carbine and less about mid. Non static made it so you had to control ring as a whole way better

Who in the world would ever ask for non-static spawns? That's what vanilla H3 had and that got changed in MLG for a reason. Anyone that's was asking for dynamic slayer spawns probably also wanted AR starts.

Lol I recall a lot of people back in MLG asking for dynamic because of how weak the map worked. Sanc slayer was a prime example when you look at h2 Sanc slayer which was dynamic
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Narrows, Amplified, Guardian (asym so kinda cheating) and more all had dynamic spawns in MLG. It really depends on the map, sometimes static spawns work better but most of the time dynamic spawns are the better choice for slayer.

The best solution is to just stop playing Slayer all together in competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol I recall a lot of people back in MLG asking for dynamic because of how weak the map worked. Sanc slayer was a prime example when you look at h2 Sanc slayer which was dynamic

I don't like sanc with dynamic spawns honestly. It caused a lot of problems and led to people staying back a lot more in fear of someone spawning right behind you. On any mid sized symmetrical map I've played I have preferred static spawns in slayer. This is why I usually play objective gametypes only, because in CTF and assault you had to have static spawns.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Narrows, Amplified, Guardian (asym so kinda cheating) and more all had dynamic spawns in MLG. It really depends on the map, sometimes static spawns work better but most of the time dynamic spawns are the better choice for slayer.

The best solution is to just stop playing Slayer all together in competitive.

Amplified had to have dynamic spawns the map is too small. Guardian isn't even symmetrical so you can't really have static spawns, and Narrows had static spawns in MLG.

Yea I agree it depends on the map, and removing slayer is something I have wanted for a while. I'm just saying since we have to have it in (for some reason) we should work on it. In my experience and mid sized symmetrical maps would probably play better with static spawns.

I don't like sanc with dynamic spawns honestly. It caused a lot of problems and led to people staying back a lot more in fear of someone spawning right behind you. On any mid sized symmetrical map I've played I have preferred static spawns in slayer. This is why I usually play objective gametypes only, because in CTF and assault you had to have static spawns.

Why'd you prefer it though? It sounds like you're lacking awareness on where the enemy will spawn. Coli slayer is really easy to know where they are spawning if you just look at your teammates positions and by using dynamic you are forced to utilize the map more and have less dead space. Fathom is the same as well (though the map is garbage for slauer either way tbh)

Edit: h2 Sanc no one was dumb and stayed in the base, people pushed out and held control of mid. No one is going to actively stay in the base and never leave their carbine/Hut

• Downvote (-1) 3

Static spawns were better on literally 2 maps in Halo's history, and it was because one was extremely segmented and the other extremely linear. Neither Coliseum nor Fathom require the static spawn treatment (why Fathom TS is a thing in the first place is a mystery).

I'm saying collectively, everyone for the most part has wanted non static for slayer. I remember really well in Reach MLG that we were complaining about Sanc having static spawns in Slayer because it just made it delve down to staying at Hut and Carbine and less about mid. Non static made it so you had to control ring as a whole way better

I've never seen that request. Not ever.

I've never seen that request. Not ever.

Were you around the MLG forums back in like '09-'12? Because I remember in threads like ORD (RIP) Where that was heavily discussed and we talked to people like Anakin about it IIRC

Why'd you prefer it though? It sounds like you're lacking awareness on where the enemy will spawn. Coli slayer is really easy to know where they are spawning if you just look at your teammates positions and by using dynamic you are forced to utilize the map more and have less dead space. Fathom is the same as well (though the map is garbage for slauer either way tbh)

Edit: h2 Sanc no one was dumb and stayed in the base, people pushed out and held control of mid. No one is going to actively stay in the base and never leave their carbine/Hut

In H2A the dynamic spawns on Sanc were criticized by a lot of people. Regardless of any opinion you should NEVER be rewarded for dying. Being able to get split spawns across the map or spawn behind an enemy is not a good thing. On maps that are mid sized there is no reason to allow people to spawn behind people. Flanking should always be done as a skill not as a luck based thing. Sanc isn't the worst but it would definitely play better with static spawns. This isn't an awareness issue it's a mechanical issue. I heard in pro streams before (don't remember who) during H2A and that person was talking about how you have to have people play a lot more passively on sanc slayer because you need to block all the spawns on your side of the map. Why even bother pushing up to ring when the guy you killed can spawn behind you while his team is on the other side. Now you are sandwiched in ring.

Dynamic spawns add nothing to the gameplay at all.

And Coli slayer is pretty garbage. @@Mikwen said this a while ago. Well, he said slayer in general in H5 is pretty bad but since we only have like 3 gametypes we are stuck with it. There are a million routes on all these maps and now you can move faster than ever. Dynamic spawns just compound the issues even more by allowing people to spawn behind you if you get aggressive.

• Upvote (+1) 3

In H2A the dynamic spawns on Sanc were criticized by a lot of people. Regardless of any opinion you should NEVER be rewarded for dying. Being able to get split spawns across the map or spawn behind an enemy is not a good thing. On maps that are mid sized there is no reason to allow people to spawn behind people. Flanking should always be done as a skill not as a luck based thing. Sanc isn't the worst but it would definitely play better with static spawns. This isn't an awareness issue it's a mechanical issue. I heard in pro streams before (don't remember who) during H2A and that person was talking about how you have to have people play a lot more passively on sanc slayer because you need to block all the spawns on your side of the map. Why even bother pushing up to ring when the guy you killed can spawn behind you while his team is on the other side. Now you are sandwiched in ring.

Dynamic spawns add nothing to the gameplay at all.

I never played H2A so I cant say anything on it, I just recall a lot of complaints in the Reach era about static spawns and people citing H2 Sanc Slayer being a million times better because of dynamic spawns.

What I can talk about though, is your point for being rewarded for dying in H5 specifically.

H5s spawn system is incredibly easy to follow and the only time you will get split spawns is if your team messed up. For example, lets say I'm playing Coli slayer, I am on S3, B Is front enemy cave (btw that LoS is gdlk), C is your elbow and one is your cave. They will spawn on enemy elbow or basement all the time. If your teammate is in a spawn location, they wont spawn there and the game will coordinate some type of solution. Basically, if you get split spawns its because either you messed up. If an enemy team punishes you for not covering a spawn location, that's your fault. It's the same thing with Rig Slayer. If you don't hold Bunker spawns, they will most likely spawn there and that's because you messed up and that's the same with any Slayer map. If they get a split spawn on you, you fucked up and it's not the games fault. That's your fault for having bad positioning.

And if they get a flank (which is you or your teammates fault) , you should 1) Know you ID'd 2-3 enemies when you know are all up and assume a flank is occuring so you need to communicate that, 2) get in position to get unexpected shots on flanker

Edit: Disclaimer I don't even like Slayer I'm just saying it's not Dynamic spawns fault you messed up

Edit 2:

And Coli slayer is pretty garbage. @ said this a while ago. Well, he said slayer in general in H5 is pretty bad but since we only have like 3 gametypes we are stuck with it. There are a million routes on all these maps and now you can move faster than ever. Dynamic spawns just compound the issues even more by allowing people to spawn behind you if you get aggressive

The million routes only get a problem when you're overly passive. I've had this issue with my team on Coli Slayer just because of the many routes Snipe has if you don't get aggressive. If you just hold snipe you're going to get shot in all different kind of directions, however if you get aggressive the routes are severely cut down and much simpler and narrower. The SAs don't make this really any harder, if anything you just need to think faster and it's not really hard.

You still have to act aggressive, just have some smart positioning and you'll be fine. Teams still are aggressive in Slayers and it still works for them really well with all these issues you guys are saying screw it up. Coli slayer especially you press your advance, you don't sit on Snipe and play passive, you have to be aggressive.

Typical post from you. If anyone disagrees with you it must be because they suck ass compared to the god that you are.

If watched pros scrimming complain about coliseum slayer spawns and how it makes the gametype play poorly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I never played H2A so I cant say anything on it, I just recall a lot of complaints in the Reach era about static spawns and people citing H2 Sanc Slayer being a million times better because of dynamic spawns.

What I can talk about though, is your point for being rewarded for dying in H5 specifically.

H5s spawn system is incredibly easy to follow and the only time you will get split spawns is if your team messed up. For example, lets say I'm playing Coli slayer, I am on S3, B Is front enemy cave (btw that LoS is gdlk), C is your elbow and one is your cave. They will spawn on enemy elbow or basement all the time. If your teammate is in a spawn location, they wont spawn there and the game will coordinate some type of solution. Basically, if you get split spawns its because either you messed up. If an enemy team punishes you for not covering a spawn location, that's your fault. It's the same thing with Rig Slayer. If you don't hold Bunker spawns, they will most likely spawn there and that's because you messed up and that's the same with any Slayer map. If they get a split spawn on you, you fucked up and it's not the games fault. That's your fault for having bad positioning

Split spawns I understand are a team mistake issue but with so many people playing solo they just sorta run everywhere. Split spawns themselves aren't the issue, but it does suck when one guy spawns across the map and the other spawns next to you. The main issue is that if you aren't blocking spawns on your own side of the map then an enemy can spawn there. That is ridiculous. It's already really easy to sneak around most of these maps and now you are adding in a other factor. Dynamic spawns will lead to more passive slayer play because you have to stay on your side of the map, or 100% push the enemy side and kill them all. You can't push up without fully flipping spawns. I don't think that is good for an already wonky gametype. And H5 has a lot of weird spawn points from what I've seen and enemies can still spawn right near you even when it seems like they shouldn't. I personally do not like dynamic slayer spawns on certain maps and I think Coliseum is one that would benefit from static spawns. Fathom is such an awkwardly shaped map that plays Slayer so poorly that I would recommend at least trying static spawns. It's so easy to get to the other base that static spawns might as well be used just to keep it a little more organized.

Again, I'm not saying I don't like it because I'm bad. I'm saying that it flows much better (from my experience) when you make slayer static spawns on certain maps. On vanilla Narrows I destroyed plenty kids. Doesn't mean I didn't like MLG Narrows better because of the spawn system. It is more enjoyable this way to me. We haven't even tried it yet in H5 so there really is no argument to make as to whether it's better or not. You might think it's "fine" but that's doesn't mean we should just a leave it alone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can someone fill me in on what the difference is between static and dynamic spawns? I have no idea what you guys all speak on.

MLG Narrows was static. You only spawn on the same side of the map you started on. Vanilla Narrows was dynamic. You would spawn on either side of the map throughout the game.

We had huge segmented maps in H3 with a weapon designed not to be accurate across the map that helps promote linear aggression. Static spawns work because a team had to be aggressively pushed past the 50 yard line to in order to be within range to spawn kill. That's not the case in Halo 5.

I'd hate to see static spawns come into play on slayer here. What will it accomplish? It sounds as if we're aiming for some level of consistency by making the system incredibly easy to figure out and greatly limit the amount of teamwork and awareness required by a team. I'm fine with static OBJ spawns, but making static spawns in slayer doesn't sound like an improvement.

@ - Static spawns in slayer = Red team will only spawn red 100% of the time. Dynamic spawns allow the Red team to spawn in Blue base when their base is full of the enemy team. Slayer currently is dynamic and OBJ is static.

Typical post from you. If anyone disagrees with you it must be because they suck ass compared to the god that you are.

If watched pros scrimming complain about coliseum slayer spawns and how it makes the gametype play poorly.

Or maybe the issue can be easily ramified by some thought process? You guys are making it sound completely random and not able to figure out conclusions from it which work in the team that is slayings position.

And lol yea I think im the best it cant possibly be me giving a solution to the problem that would make everything easier.

Last time I cared about a pros opinion was No bloom no skill. I'll make my own opinions thanks lol

Can someone fill me in on what the difference is between static and dynamic spawns? I have no idea what you guys all speak on.

Basically Static spawns = CTF spawns basically in a symm map (you spawn on your side only) while dynamic means it uses both bases.

We had huge segmented maps in H3 with a weapon designed not to be accurate across the map that helps promote linear aggression. Static spawns work because a team had to be aggressively pushed past the 50 yard line to in order to be within range to spawn kill. That's not the case in Halo 5.

I'd hate to see static spawns come into play on slayer here. What will it accomplish? It sounds as if we're aiming for some level of consistency by making the system incredibly easy to figure out and greatly limit the amount of teamwork and awareness required by a team. I'm fine with static OBJ spawns, but making static spawns in slayer doesn't sound like an improvement.

@ - Static spawns in slayer = Red team will only spawn red 100% of the time. Dynamic spawns allow the Red team to spawn in Blue base when their base is full of the enemy team. Slayer currently is dynamic and OBJ is static.

Linear maps should promote linear game play. Trying to create dynamic game play out of a straight line, two base, symmetrical map is a fool's errand that results in maps that reward death.