CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Slayer has been the most popular ranked playlist in Halo 2 and Halo 3, and from the December data, Halo 5 as well.

Dude - you're starting to piss me off with your ignorance. Listen up.

My argument was to convert Ranked Slayer to Social Slayer in H5.

Social Slayer has always been much more populated than Ranked Slayer, since the beginning of Halo 2. 

I think having both Social and Ranked slayer is redundant in H5, something that can't happen because we need to condense playlists as much as possible. Thats why converting Ranked to Social is the best option. 

The two biggest niches that need to be filled are 1) Competitive players and 2) Casual players. Competitive players want ranked Team Arena (with OBJ/slayer mix) while casuals want unranked Social Slayer. Ranked Slayer is the odd one out because it is redundant. Team Slayer was popular in past games because they offered default settings (radar, etc.) and slayer only. The competitive playlist in H5 has the same settings as default so it makes the playlist even more redundant.

Slayer is the most popular playlist right now, you're right. But thats because its the "casual" playlist compared to Team Arena. 80% of people in the Slayer playlist right now don't care about ranks. So making the playlist social will still give people who only want to play slayer that option, but will also provide a much needed social playlist to the game.

The only people that will be annoyed by my suggested change are those competitive "Slayer kids" who are too egotistical to compete in the Team Arena playlist, yet still want to achieve a high rank. Besides that small group of players, nobody cares what rank you are in Slayer because its known to be far less competitive than Team Arena.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Social Slayer has always been much more populated than Ranked Slayer, since the beginning of Halo 2.

I think having both Social and Ranked slayer is redundant in H5, something that can't happen because we need to condense playlists as much as possible. Thats why converting Ranked to Social is the best option.

The two biggest niches that need to be filled are 1) Competitive players and 2) Casual players. Competitive players want ranked Team Arena (with OBJ/slayer mix) while casuals want unranked Social Slayer. Ranked Slayer is the odd one out because it is redundant. Team Slayer was popular in past games because they offered default settings (radar, etc.) and slayer only. The competitive playlist in H5 has the same settings as default so it makes the playlist even more redundant.

Slayer is the most popular playlist right now, you're right. But thats because its the "casual" playlist compared to Team Arena. 80% of people in the Slayer playlist right now don't care about ranks. So making the playlist social will still give people who only want to play slayer that option, but will also provide a much needed social playlist to the game.

The only people that will be annoyed by my suggested change are those competitive "Slayer kids" who are too egotistical to compete in the Team Arena playlist, yet still want to achieve a high rank. Besides that small group of players, nobody cares what rank you are in Slayer because its known to be far less competitive than Team Arena.

So many baseless assumptions.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 1 also had a much larger FOV than other games.

Halo 5 has the same FOV of 4/Reach and a centered reticle, the viewmodel size is relatively unchanged.

Look at this comparison:

Zqh7p1z.png

Halo 5's AR is H4's on absolute steroids.

I don't really get the argument for it, aside from Devan's comment on a "more centered HUD," but even that seems to be grasping at straws to me. The less clutter the better.

You missed my point. FOV, reticle height, and viewmodel size are all entirely unrelated.

Compare any other weapon in H4 to its H5 counterpart. The AR in 4 took up a lot less space than in other games.

343 chose the centered reticle because:

1. Its what literally every other shooter uses. It makes it easier for players to jump between games without being thrown off.

2. It allows players to see more of the ground in front of them while holding the reticle at "head level". Being able to see more of the ground in front of you has a positive psychological effect on peoples (esp. new players) perspective/bearings/orientation etc. Thats why 99% of new players held their reticle slightly down in past Halos and looked more towards the ground. 

On another note, Halo 5 would really benefit from a slightly wider FOV than current. A wider FOV makes it easier to orient yourself, especially in a fast-paced and highly mobile game like H5. Close-range battles are sometimes downright annoying because of the current FOV. Plus, a wider FOV gives the illusion of speed, which makes the game feel more fast and exciting.

The game already has a wider FOV setting in Forge through the filters, and it actually feels really nice. Only reason I don't advocate for it is because it breaks weapon zoom.

It's ignorant to say that the most popular ranked playlist shouldn't be made social? I don't care about your reasoning about why ranked social doesn't matter and all that stuff, I simply think removing the most popular ranked playlist would be a bad idea, no matter what the playlist is.

The only thing that's ignorant is saying things like, "80% of people in slayer don't care about ranks". Pulling random percentages out of thin air and assuming things based on your own personal experience doesn't really mean too much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just want the ability to play solo without worrying about being stomped by teams, this game isn't fun at all when playing on your own.

What is the purpose of the Team Arena (with Slayer mixed in) playlist again?  Is there a reason it has a permanent spot?  Is there a reason we can't choose a playlist with only objective game types whenever we want?

• Upvote (+1) 1

What is the purpose of the Team Arena (with Slayer mixed in) playlist again?  Is there a reason it has a permanent spot?  Is there a reason we can't choose a playlist with only objective game types whenever we want?

Because an Objective playlist will perform poorly, just like it did in ever other Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because an Objective playlist will perform poorly, just like it did in ever other Halo.

Only difference between Team Arena and Team Slayer is Arena has CTF and Strongholds mixed in.  

If objectives aren't popular enough to command their own playlist, don't use Slayer--a game mode already in place with its' own dedicated playlist--to keep it afloat!  

If you want to use historical Halo playlist data:  Both Team Snipers and Team Doubles have long been known to be more popular than objective game types/playlists.  Where are they?  Not in the game...yet Team Arena and Breakout are?  

Either remove Team Arena or remove slayer from the playlist. All I'm saying is - let us have some control over what we are playing in this game!

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

While I don't disagree I feel past objective playlists suffered from really poor settings.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Less is more.

More accurate skill matching, more healthy search times/population, etc. Adding playlists just dilutes both the ranking and matchmaking systems' potential.

Ranked Slayer is nothing more than an easier/less competitive version of Team Arena, and the reason it is easier to play Solo is because everyone else thinks its easier to play solo, so they search that playlist alone – domino/mob mentality effect.

Ranked:

• Solo Arena (Max Party of 2)
  • Team Arena (Min Party of 4)
  • Team Doubles (Min Party of 2)
  • Free-For-All (Max Party of 1)

Social:

• Slayer
  • Breakout
  • BTB
  • SWAT

Four niche experiences for Social, Four pure-competitive variants for Ranked.

P.S. I'm not suggesting removing experiences like Doubles, Snipers, Infection, etc. The core playlists should cover standard experiences and appropriate niche experiences should be rotated.

Why is less more? I find that to be an empty cliche. I also keep seeing this list since I started reading these forums and I vehemently disagree with it. Yeah obviously slayer is easier to achieve a champion, and breakout and swat are very easy relatively...but some players are "Swat kids" who exclusively search swat, some players enjoy ranked slayer and breakout because they like slayer-only or breakout and it's easier to achieve a higher rank/champion by a large margin compared to "mlg" team arena. 

I've seen you support the social rankings and ranking system in general and you do realize this would achieve nothing for the social playlists you suggested and it would make champion near unachieveable for virtually the whole population as if it wasn't exclusive enough being 200 players per playlist. 

Why can't there be a Ranked slayer and a social slayer playlist existing simultaneously like there is in every other halo title? The large majority of Bronze-Platinum ranked players will search social more heavily than ranked but social would be the most populated regardless, while not significantly hurting the ranked counterpart's population, if it's actually "social" and not more hidden ranked MMR bullshit. 

Less is not more. There should be ranked Team Arena, Slayer, Doubles, Swat, Breakout and possibly Snipers/BTB. There should be real social playlists like dare I say infection/Grifball or an action sack variant containing the two, a social arena playlist with forged maps from older halo titles, social BTB, social slayer. 

The problem is there is no fun social gametypes for the very casual players and there is only BTB social 75% of the time at this point since launch. 

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/farming-kills-in-warzone-it-s-no-good-for-halo/75612239-7fc0-4519-835f-a67ae0a1c07b/posts

Looks like even the Waypoint kids are finally starting to get pissed off about the clans who just triple cap and farm them for kill commendations two 10+ page today hopefully this means Party restrictions are coming to warzone very soon.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why can't there be a Ranked slayer and a social slayer playlist existing simultaneously like there is in every other halo title?

Because this game only has about 40-50k people playing it, and since Warzone and Arena split that number in half, you only have about 20-25k people playing Arena.  That's not enough to have two of any kind of playlist.  As of right now...variety in Halo is dead...there's not enough people playing to support it.

Just because something is changed to align with the other, prominent (or better) solutions doesn't automatically make it bad. It just has to compliment the game thats doing the borrowing. Your Halo 4 argument doesn't make any sense because that game took ideas from other games and didn't implement them properly to suit Halo. I thought this was established a long time ago?

In 2016, most people play more than just Halo. Having the reticle match other games helps when switching between games and is helpful for new players. If something makes the transition to Halo easier and doesn't hurt the game, then whats the problem? The reticle change is good for everyone. Same reason the new default controls are more in line with other shooters. It makes more sense from an industry standard, and doesn't hurt the game in the slightest because you can change the controls if you want the old style.

Either way, the centered reticle is better from a gameplay perspective. So whether it was borrowed from another game doesn't matter anyways.

Oh, and CE used the centered reticle before CoD, BF, etc. 

The problem is it isn't better for Halo 5's (not comparing it to other games) gameplay, and has negative effects. It literally blocks your surroundings more, because the gun has to be "held" higher, regardless of the size of the gun.

It just emphasizes how restricted the FOV has been in modern Halo titles. ODST had the FOV perfect.

EDIT: Not really looking to dive into this issue more though, I just don't feel like I'm going to be convinced otherwise on this particular topic. you have your opinion and I have mine. Agree to disagree I guess.

Only difference between Team Arena and Team Slayer is Arena has CTF and Strongholds mixed in.  

If objectives aren't popular enough to command their own playlist, don't use Slayer--a game mode already in place with its' own dedicated playlist--to keep it afloat!  

If you want to use historical Halo playlist data:  Both Team Snipers and Team Doubles have long been known to be more popular than objective game types/playlists.  Where are they?  Not in the game...yet Team Arena and Breakout are?  

Either remove Team Arena or remove slayer from the playlist. All I'm saying is - let us have some control over what we are playing in this game!

I'd rather we just properly turn Team Arena into a HCS playlist like they said it was going to be, until they added Overgrowth, Riptide and Arena Breakout when they released.

Snipers in Halo 5 is terrible, purely because of how shit the Sniper is.

Doubles is terrible because we can't modify starting ammo on weapon pads. 

That's why those aren't playlists and until they fix the sniper and the weapon pads, they probably won't be anything more than temporary playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 1

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/farming-kills-in-warzone-it-s-no-good-for-halo/75612239-7fc0-4519-835f-a67ae0a1c07b/posts

Looks like even the Waypoint kids are finally starting to get pissed off about the clans who just triple cap and farm them for kill commendations two 10+ page today hopefully this means Party restrictions are coming to warzone very soon.

Ya, so more people can be unable to find games. Good idea.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because this game only has about 40-50k people playing it, and since Warzone and Arena split that number in half, you only have about 20-25k people playing Arena.  That's not enough to have two of any kind of playlist.  As of right now...variety in Halo is dead...there's not enough people playing to support it.

But there are tons of players who are Bronze-Platinum, even Diamond ranks, that don't search ranked slayer that much or can't find a team of 3-4 so they opt to play Swat or Warzone. 

Warzone is heavily populated so I don't think taking players away from that playlist/s so they can search fun social slayer or other socials hurts the game or total population or matchmaking times to any degree. It would bolster the total Halo 5 population if anything, if there was an array of social playlists like Halo 3 had. 

The real question is does 343 want people to deviate from playing Warzone at all because that's where the incentive for microtransactions derives from. Not trying to put on a tin foil hat but that's a strong possibility as to why there have not really been any social playlists since launch and it's obvious they want people to play warzone and buy packs. 

So many baseless assumptions.

You mean these?

- Social has always been more popular than Ranked.

- Team Arena is more competitive because most top players play it over Slayer.

- Team Arena should remain ranked because a. Its the "HCS" playlist, and b. Most competitive players prefer Team Arena.

- Most of the Slayer playlist is populated by casuals (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc.), most of which do not care if the playlist is ranked or social.

- Limiting the use of too many playlists is beneficial to MM, considering connection, skill and search times.

- We need a Social playlist, preferably Slayer only.

Exactly which of these assumptions would you care to refute? Most can be backed by literal evidence/stats, and the rest are just basic logic. If you really want to get picky, I'd say even if you could prove one of those assumptions wrong, you cannot say any of them are baseless. Baseless would imply I have absolutely no reason to make said assumptions. I don't think you'd have a fun time trying to convince the people here otherwise.

Anyways, what would you suggest then?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Too many ranked playlists dilutes the value of ranks. Ideally we'd have:

Ranked

Team Arena - HCS gametypes only

Doubles 

FFA

Maybe Breakout - undecided on this

Social

Team Slayer

BTB

SWAT

Team Snipers

Infection

Action Sack

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Could someone explain why I can't load up a map or gamemode I have bookmarked? This games custom features are abysmal :/

Edit: I can load up maps but not gamemodes

Could someone explain why I can't load up a map or gamemode I have bookmarked? This games custom features are abysmal :/

Edit: I can load up maps but not gamemodes

Its an issue we're all having; dont know what the problem is

You mean these?

- Team Arena should remain ranked because a. Its the "HCS" playlist, and b. Most competitive players prefer Team Arena.

- Most of the Slayer playlist is populated by casuals (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc.), most of which do not care if the playlist is ranked or social.

- Limiting the use of too many playlists is beneficial to MM, considering connection, skill and search times.

Exactly which of these assumptions would you care to refute? Most can be backed by literal evidence/stats, and the rest are just basic logic.

What do you suggest, then?

The Slayer playlist is not mainly comprised of Bronze-Platinum players. I would say that Bronze-Gold players combined do not search Slayer nearly as much as the Platinum-Low Onyx population on average, and that's obviously discluding the people who play the playlist the most, mid-high onyx to champion level players (individually not as an aggregate because there are less players in that pool obviously).

I just don't like seeing ranked slayer being taken and turned into a social only playlist, why can't it be both? I've seen another person or two in addition to you say slayer is just an easier champion, and yes that's true but at the same time it's the second hardest champion in the game to get. It's also only slayer gametypes which is important. 

But why is that a problem? Excluding the champions right now this season, it's very hard to get a team arena champion so I think eliminating slayer poses a problem in that regard...should Champion ranks be comprised of 80% Pros, Pros' alts, AMs? Idk I just really don't like the idea of taking out ranked slayer at all. 

It's not like adding social slayer is going to make it hard to find games in ranked slayer at all...

Too many ranked playlists dilutes the value of ranks. Ideally we'd have:

Ranked

Team Arena - HCS gametypes only

Doubles 

FFA

Maybe Breakout - undecided on this

Social

Team Slayer

BTB

SWAT

Team Snipers

Infection

Action Sack

How does it dilute the value of ranks? You have a rank that is attached to a certain playlist. A Swat champion means you have a champ in swat, and is viewed as an inferior champion to team arena, it devalues it in no way. 

If anything it allows players to achieve Champion (only 200 people btw) in certain niche playlists: Swat, Breakout, a competitive by not ultra-competitive playlist in Slayer, or play against the very best for Arena. 

Did someone getting a Slayer 50 or a Swat 50 in Halo 3 take away from everyone's MLG 50's? I don't think that was the case at all. 

Btw the servers might be down...can't even find a game of warzone

You mean these?

- Team Arena should remain ranked because a. Its the "HCS" playlist, and b. Most competitive players prefer Team Arena.

Exactly which of these assumptions would you care to refute? Most can be backed by literal evidence/stats, and the rest are just basic logic. If you really want to get picky, I'd say even if you could prove one of those assumptions wrong, you cannot say any of them are baseless. Baseless would imply I have absolutely no reason to make said assumptions. I don't think you'd have a fun time trying to convince the people here otherwise.

Anyways, what would you suggest then?

"80% of people in the Slayer playlist right now don't care about ranks.

The only people that will be annoyed by my suggested change are those competitive "Slayer kids" who are too egotistical to compete in the Team Arena playlist, yet still want to achieve a high rank. Besides that small group of players, nobody cares what rank you are in Slayer because its known to be far less competitive than Team Arena."

Do I really need to explain why these are ridiculous assumptions?