CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo 1 had a centered reticle, and relatively small viewmodels.

Halo 2 and 3 had uncentered reticles, and had massive viewmodels.

Halo 1 also had a much larger FOV than other games.

Halo 5 has the same FOV of 4/Reach and a centered reticle, the viewmodel size is relatively unchanged.

Look at this comparison:

Zqh7p1z.png

Halo 5's AR is H4's on absolute steroids.

I don't really get the argument for it, aside from Devan's comment on a "more centered HUD," but even that seems to be grasping at straws to me. The less clutter the better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the gun models weren't the size of refrigerators, would you still like a cross-hair that isn't centered? It wasn't something detrimental enough to me to quit playing h3 but it still doesn't make sense to me to sacrifice it's position to cater to whatever visuals are on the "horizon", if that's indeed the intent.

Like I said in my previous post, you just get to see more of what's in front of you with a lowered reticle, allowing for a more clear image. I think FOV would have a much bigger impact rather than scaling down the viewmodel.

Yea, they would have to have two dev teams. Which would be good because you have on dev team with a sole vision for H1-2-3 and one with a sole vision for Sprint Halo.

It would also mean that the games could be in development alot longer, thus meaning better games. Or another way you could look at it is a new game more often if thats good or bad is another question.

Im an old school player and much prefer the old Halo 2-3 style games. I do still play the newer ones, mostly because, well, its Halo. But I can understand why you would think having two series' could get abit confusing.

But if they created a clear story to go along with it, it could work. Halo 1/2/3 is based, lets say 200 years before the events of Sprint Halo, which is why they have inferior abilities. It would also mean you could have two different stories lines, which would be interesting in my opinion. (The flood/covenant is a Halo 1/2/3  foe and the promethean a Sprint Halo foe)

But this is all just If and maybe. It didnt and wont happen but. . . .

If there's one thing I learned, certain immersion and gameplay elements generally shouldn't be used as anchors or plot arcs, or anything. That's mainly in reference to sprint and the like.

Remove stat-tracking, ranks, and MMR from it and it will be a perfect place for players seeking that "social" vibe.

That's basically what we've been saying for a while.

343 chose the centered reticle because:

1. Its what literally every other shooter uses. It makes it easier for players to jump between games without being thrown off.

2. It allows players to see more of the ground in front of them while holding the reticle at "head level". Being able to see more of the ground in front of you has a positive psychological effect on peoples (esp. new players) perspective/bearings/orientation etc. Thats why 99% of new players held their reticle slightly down in past Halos and looked more towards the ground. 

On another note, Halo 5 would really benefit from a slightly wider FOV than current. A wider FOV makes it easier to orient yourself, especially in a fast-paced and highly mobile game like H5. Close-range battles are sometimes downright annoying because of the current FOV. Plus, a wider FOV gives the illusion of speed, which makes the game feel more fast and exciting.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Lets step bck from this whole "social" discussion for one second and rethink:

Back in Halo 3, with its thriving population, the most populated playlist by far was social slayer.

Social Slayer in Halo 3:

- ZERO skill/MMR matching = Fast search times, relaxed atmosphere.

- No skill-based rank, but still gave EXP.

- Attempted to match similar-sized parties, but would loosen this parameter the longer you searched.

- Separate "Social" stats from Ranked. This deincentivized pub-stomping/padding stats/KD.

- Halo 3 also did not display K/D anywhere in game (Ranked or Social). You could only check it via Bungie.net, which let people relax in social.

- Reach and even Halo 4 had non-MMR playlists that ended up being the most populated playlists by FAR.

I honestly think they should remove the Team Slayer playlist from H5 and convert it to a permanent Social Slayer playlist that uses the same methodology as Halo 3's rendition. Lets be honest - the current Slayer playlist only appeals to those "try-hard" people who refrain from Team Arena to avoid competition, yet still want to feel like a Champion. Remove stat-tracking, ranks, and MMR from it and it will be a perfect place for players seeking that "social" vibe.

Completely agree.

Centered reticle is MUCH better, one of the best changes in H5.

Completely agree.

Centered reticle is MUCH better, one of the best changes in H5.

I think you quoted the wrong post lol.

But thanks for agreeing. Its hard to explain but theres definitely a positive effect to it that most people don't outright notice.

I think you quoted the wrong post lol.

But thanks for agreeing. Its hard to explain but theres definitely a positive effect to it that most people don't outright notice.

Talking about 2 seperate things, your social post is 100% spot on, and I was commenting on my opinion of the reticle. I'm not like Raven and triple post when you can condense them into one.  :walshy:

1. Its what literally every other shooter uses. It makes it easier for players to jump between games without being thrown off.

I don't know if that's what you want your main argument to be.

Based on this point, Halo 4 must be a god-send.

EDIT: And your second point is that it just appeals to new players, again, not exactly the best argument.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Clearly not or people wouldn't be arguing about it.

The argument isn't exactly on what social should be. Most people accept no ranks, less restrictions in searches, etc are what social SHOULD be. People only argue on reasoning. "You only want this to pubstomp". Yunno?

Ranked slayer was the most popular playlist as well, and still is in Halo 5. Removing slayer from ranked would be a huge problem, IMO. It's the only true classic Halo playlist that's doable searching solo.

We should be adding playlists, not removing/changing them. The fact that Halo 5 launched with less total playlist than Halo 3 had social is why we're in this mess in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 1

if you're spectating someone does the game tell them somehow?

No.

Ranked slayer was the most popular playlist as well, and still is in Halo 5. Removing slayer from ranked would be a huge problem, IMO. It's the only true classic Halo playlist that's doable searching solo.

We should be adding playlists, not removing/changing them. The fact that Halo 5 launched with less total playlist than Halo 3 had social is why we're in this mess in the first place.

We haven't had playlist population since December. We have no idea what the most popular playlist is any more, unless I've missed something.

I don't know if that's what you want your main argument to be.

Based on this point, Halo 4 must be a god-send.

EDIT: And your second point is that it just appeals to new players, again, not exactly the best argument.

Just because something is changed to align with the other, prominent (or better) solutions doesn't automatically make it bad. It just has to compliment the game thats doing the borrowing. Your Halo 4 argument doesn't make any sense because that game took ideas from other games and didn't implement them properly to suit Halo. I thought this was established a long time ago?

In 2016, most people play more than just Halo. Having the reticle match other games helps when switching between games and is helpful for new players. If something makes the transition to Halo easier and doesn't hurt the game, then whats the problem? The reticle change is good for everyone. Same reason the new default controls are more in line with other shooters. It makes more sense from an industry standard, and doesn't hurt the game in the slightest because you can change the controls if you want the old style.

Either way, the centered reticle is better from a gameplay perspective. So whether it was borrowed from another game doesn't matter anyways.

Oh, and CE used the centered reticle before CoD, BF, etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets step bck from this whole "social" discussion for one second and rethink:

Back in Halo 3, with its thriving population, the most populated playlist by far was social slayer.

Social Slayer in Halo 3:

- ZERO skill/MMR matching = Fast search times, relaxed atmosphere.

- No skill-based rank, but still gave EXP.

- Attempted to match similar-sized parties, but would loosen this parameter the longer you searched.

- Separate "Social" stats from Ranked. This deincentivized pub-stomping/padding stats/KD.

- Halo 3 also did not display K/D anywhere in game (Ranked or Social). You could only check it via Bungie.net, which let people relax in social.

- Reach and even Halo 4 had non-MMR playlists that ended up being the most populated playlists by FAR.

I honestly think they should remove the Team Slayer playlist from H5 and convert it to a permanent Social Slayer playlist that uses the same methodology as Halo 3's rendition. Lets be honest - the current Slayer playlist only appeals to those "try-hard" people who refrain from Team Arena to avoid competition, yet still want to feel like a Champion. Remove stat-tracking, ranks, and MMR from it and it will be a perfect place for players seeking that "social" vibe.

That makes too much - 343 will never implement such a simple solution.

Less is more.

More accurate skill matching, more healthy search times/population, etc. Adding playlists just dilutes both the ranking and matchmaking systems' potential.

Ranked Slayer is nothing more than an easier/less competitive version of Team Arena, and the reason it is easier to play Solo is because everyone else thinks its easier to play solo, so they search that playlist alone – domino/mob mentality effect.

Ranked:

• Solo Arena (Max Party of 2)
  • Team Arena (Min Party of 4)
  • Team Doubles (Min Party of 2)
  • Free-For-All (Max Party of 1)

Social:

• Slayer
  • Breakout
  • BTB
  • SWAT

Four niche experiences for Social, Four pure-competitive variants for Ranked.

P.S. I'm not suggesting removing experiences like Doubles, Snipers, Infection, etc. The core playlists should cover standard experiences and appropriate niche experiences should be rotated.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No.

We haven't had playlist population since December. We have no idea what the most popular playlist is any more, unless I've missed something.

I gaurentee you slayer is the most popular ranked playlist. It's been this way for every single Halo.

There should always be a ranked slayer playlist as well as a social slayer. It's really as important as having a ranked HCS playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't mean remove the playlist completely, I said replace it with a social version of Slayer. Its been aid a thousand times but you can't have the same number of playlists in H5 as we did in H3. We don't have the population to support it, unfortunately.

No.

Somebody on r/halo compiled an API thingy thing that counted the number of players ranked in each playlist for the January season. Team Slayer had the most.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I gaurentee you slayer is the most popular ranked playlist. It's been this way for every single Halo.

There should always be a ranked slayer playlist as well as a social slayer. It's really as important as having a ranked HCS playlist.

Actually, Social Slayer and/or Social  BTB has been the most popular playlist in every single Halo since Halo 2. By far.

Actually, Social Slayer and/or Social BTB has been the most popular playlist in every single Halo since Halo 2. By far.

Slayer has been the most popular ranked playlist in Halo 2 and Halo 3, and from the December data, Halo 5 as well.

Why would you care about winning/losing there is no reward, nothing happens. If you want to tryhard in social is your problem none is forcing you to do it.

Why why are people this thick. Is all in your head, admit that you want to stomp and move on.

It's not about wanting to win. It's about wanting to have fun. I want to be able to chill and still be able to do something other than look at a respawn screen. I can be an onyx player but while playing social I don't want to play at that level every game but the game matches me against those players every single game.

To be fair that is entirely a choice you are making whether the games are ranked or not.

It's really not that simple.