CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

H5 doesn't use ELO until Onyx though, H2 used ELO.

There is too much behind-the-scenes to really discuss the ranking system. I think it does an excellent job of comparing major skill tiers (the difference between a Plat and Diamond is pretty big, etc).

It might be hard to fight out of a Division Solo searching, but its worth the tradeoff when moving away from a grind-y system like ELO.

Then what the hell does it use, TrueSkill?

Everything is ELO in the background doesn't matter if the visuals are 1-50 or Bronze-Onyx. The system gives the whole team a score based on W/L and your opponent skills.

H5 doesn't use ELO until Onyx though, H2 used ELO.

There is too much behind-the-scenes to really discuss the ranking system. I think it does an excellent job of comparing major skill tiers (the difference between a Plat and Diamond is pretty big, etc).

It might be hard to fight out of a Division Solo searching, but its worth the tradeoff when moving away from a grind-y system like ELO.

The circumstances are different. If you are playing a game of sport in real life, you have physical and visual bragging rights to improve an image. After a game of Social H5 you never see those people again and the game is gone from existence (except for Stats, 343 pls)

In a ranked game, that image of a loss persists through your rank.

I'm not suggesting that people don't like to win... everyone likes to win.

I'm stating that losing in Social literally doesn't matter, close matches or not.

You're missing the point. Close games against equally skilled opponents can and oftn do fuel a competitive fire. This happens with or without visual ranks(obviously the effect is more intense with visual ranks).

Most people play social with the purposeful intent of not lighting thier competitive fire.

You can blame each individual all you want but the fact of the matter is if most people want social to be laid back and every time they hop into it they find themselves in white knuckled games they will not enjoy it.

Weve only had a small glimpse into playlist population in h5 but it heavily suggests that most people are not enjoying how "social" playlists are currently set up. Holiday social was the second least populated playlist in the entire game and SBTB(usually a staple top 1-3 populated list) was also far down the list. While these two lists obviously had thier own unique issues you cannot ignore the fact that in previous halo games social playlists with loose MM parametres dominated the playlist population charts. And those social lists were almost always horribly balanced/designed.

Considering my GF who has never played FPS games and isn't too mechanically inclined placed in Bronze, yeah I think you're right on that.

@@Cane Storm got his ass-whooped by her though in a 1v1, guess his sig holds true. :kappa:

I know it was you actually playing! She was just on the mic. Her trash talk game was on point though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does/did pub stomping in unranked matches stop masses of people from playing COD?

No?

Then stop using "pub stomping ruins social for casual players" as an argument.

It stopped me.

Well there's that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know it was you actually playing! She was just on the mic. Her trash talk game was on point though.

I'm like Bronze tier trash talk. She's legit Champion rank.

Well now @@semester2009 can actually sleep at night knowing that he wasn't getting pooped on by Lily.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Raise you ffa riptide

And I raise you Overgrowth on everything. Maybe except strongholds.

Riptide really isn't that bad

PW selection could be better though... I just wish that commendations weren't the rationale for putting certain weapons on map.

Then what the hell does it use, TrueSkill?

Everything is ELO in the background doesn't matter if the visuals are 1-50 or Bronze-Onyx. The system gives the whole team a score based on W/L and your opponent skills.

ELO is literally raw numbers, you win, your number goes up, lose it goes down, and the intensity of increase/decrease is based on the ELO that you Won/Lost to. H2 assigned a 1-50 number for each range of ELO.

Once again, too much is happening in the background of the normal Divisions but I think there is more to it than simple ratings.

The problem with social is if I just wanna play casually I won't be able to do it because I'm playing against a team composed of mainly onyx players so I'll be on the respawn screen the majority of the game. Wow, sooooo much fun! We shouldn't be playing on or against teams that are almost entirely composed of one skill level which is what's happening now. That isn't social and it doesn't make the game fun to play.

It also doesn't help that 343 decided to plaster social stats all over the stats page which only encourages people to go into tryhard or stat whore mode for their precious KDA number. Whoever at 343 thought that was a good idea, smh.

A lot of people I know weren't thrilled that they randomly decided not to put the cross-hair in the center of the screen. Interesting to see it was a design choice in what seemed to prioritize aesthetics over gameplay. 

After playing so much of centered cross-hair Halo 5 I had so much trouble playing with Reach when it became BC. Small change that makes a big difference. 

Also:

• Upvote (+1) 1

FFA Overgrowth.

"Social" 5v5 Overgrowth with shotgun still on the map against a group of 5, and you are playing solo with people with no mics...or thumbs. 

After playing so much of centered cross-hair Halo 5 I had so much trouble playing with Reach when it became BC. Small change that makes a big difference. 

Also:

Is it the same in Reach? I played such little reach that I completely forget. I'd really like to know more about their decisions for stuff like this.

Is it the same in Reach? I played such little reach that I completely forget. I'd really like to know more about their decisions for stuff like this.

Wasn't centered. Just felt off and now prefer the cross-hair to be centered

FFA should just be Truth 24/7 :ghost:

You speak the Truth. :kappa:

Frickin FFA, man. Played on Empire using nothing but autos and the shotgun and won by a large margin. I felt ashamed of myself, but that's basically how you have to play now on most maps in H5. Sigh

And I raise you Overgrowth on everything. Maybe except strongholds.

Overgrowth Strongholds most underrated game type of 2015

I miss 8 man FFA's

People quit out in like 1/3 of the games I play, and 4-5 player FFA on these massive maps is just terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hate the center-screen reticule.

The gun models are EVEN LARGER now thanks to that, and it looks more unnatural from an #IMMERSION standpoint.