CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Possibly one of the few cases where "literally" was used correctly.

The definition for literally was updated to fit the current usage in our society.

343 just needs to add a social playlist with no background CSR being tracked. It's so simple and will appeal to people of all skill levels.

except for the people in the lowest skill tiers...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Some matches will lopsided (like they can be now), but for the most part it will work out. Many games utilize this all the time with no troubles.

Could I get some to msg me and tell me how to take clip from a stream and put them on YouTube? And also how to embed YouTube clips here?

Some matches will lopsided (like they can be now), but for the most part it will work out. Many games utilize this all the time with no troubles.

Games with massive populations and low skill gaps, Halo has neither of those.

The current form of social is fine, they just need to make it so stats don't count on your service record.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Games with massive populations and low skill gaps, Halo has neither of those.

The current form of social is fine, they just need to make it so stats don't count on your service record.

Stats not counting is actually common sense and would be a welcome start.

343 just needs to add a social playlist with no background CSR being tracked. It's so simple and will appeal to people of all skill levels.

There should alwaya be skill based MM. It should just be looser in social than ranked. Right now its not though. Itd wager you can clearly see the effects on playlist populations. We all saw that holiday social and SBTB struggled with population compared to what we traditionally see from social playlists and I would bet all "social" playlists meet a similiar fate.

And if they're feeling overwhelmed they can play ranked which has tighter MM. Thats the beauty of having ranked and social with different types of MM. It gives ACTUAL CHOICE in preference. Right now h5 only gives an illusion of choice which essential renders "social" playlist useless.

Can you elaborate on how it is "fine?"

It literally doesn't work.

1. They don't provide a social experience as MM places you in constant, close, competitive games.

2. You cant play in mixed skill parties as lower skilled friends will get stomped.

3. Theyre pointless as they provide the exact same experienced the ranked list do.

4. Players at either ends of the skill spectrum cant find games.

1. You are acting like your definition of 'social experience' is religiously and exclusively correct. It isn't. We're discussing two opinions so stop insisting that one experience is definitive fact.

2. Halo 5's ranking system balances mixed parties. Once again your logic is completely backwards: If you are vouching for random matchmaking, then you are essentially asking for the potential for pub stomping. You are okay with pub stomping entire teams but you want to protect your friend who is going to be stomped in a Skill based system? Make up your mind. 

3. No they don't, because they aren't Ranked. Ranks should be the only thing that are incentivizing you to win, other than internal desires which are an issue with the player itself, not the system.

4. This is an issue, but not with Social. It is an issue with Halo 5's matchmaking parameters. They should originally stay tight and open up more and more as matches cannot be found.

Social Playlists require three things:

• Fast matches
  • No Ranks
  • No Stat Tracking

If you are insisting that Social means making winning easier at a random pace, then I don't know what else I can say to get through to all of you. There are negatives with MMR-Based Social that can be fixed (stats, search parameters), there are negatives with Random-MM Social that cannot (pub stomping).

The argument is silly for other games like COD/Battlefield because the skill gap in those games is low and the player count per team is much larger; more players means more room for inconsistency with matching (hence why BTB feels more 'Social'. Halo 5 at its core is a competitive game, one of the most competitive default Halo games to date, so this whole 'close matches = bad for social' is really just a testament to you vouching for how competitive Halo 5 is, in my opinion.

As a personal example, I play BTB and Social Slayer with @ a lot. We are pretty far apart in skill, so regardless of whether or not the matches are close, neither of us really care if we lose. We'll banter about how 5v5 Overgrowth is pure ebola, but losing a match is the least of our concerns.

• Downvote (-1) 1

When I play the social playlist I still feel like I need to try my absolute hardest or I will get stomped by players who are champions in other playlists.

Its as simple as that.

I don't think skilled players want a place to pub stomp. Yeah, some matches will end up like that, but most skilled people just want a place where they can mess around, try new playstyles/weapons, etc. out. Just not have to go balls to the wall every game. Somewhere you can take a few close friends who maybe suck, and it be a game that can be fun for them too. Somewhere where you don't have to worry about your KDA (which is needlessly plastered all over your service record).

A social playlist should have the same feeling as Warzone - there's huge imbalances, yes, but nobody cares because 95% of people are just playing it to chill out. There will be the 5% who have to pub stomp to stroke their egos, but I think omitting stats (like Warzone does for KDA) would stop most of that. 

In CoD, every single pub lobby has that one kid going 50-2. That game also lets those players constantly call in Killstreaks to rain shit upon noobs. Noobs still love the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Does/did pub stomping in unranked matches stop masses of people from playing COD?

No?

Then stop using "pub stomping ruins social for casual players" as an argument.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. You are acting like your definition of 'social experience' is religiously and exclusively correct.

Social Playlists require three things:

:holmes:

sorry but to me one of the most important thinks is that you're not stuck in a situation where you're playing alone, maybe you're not even playing yourself but a friend is, and you keep getting matched against a TO5 that fights like they're playing for the 2mil $ but for some reason, they don't want to play ranked because god knows why...

• Upvote (+1) 2

As a personal example, I play BTB and Social Slayer with @ a lot. We are pretty far apart in skill, so regardless of whether or not the matches are close, neither of us really care if we lose. We'll banter about how 5v5 Overgrowth is pure ebola, but losing a match is the least of our concerns.

You're being very generous by calling it "ebola" only.

The definition for literally was updated to fit the current usage in our society.

Yeah, in a dumbass move that makes the term literally contradict itself by definition. Of course, the newer term is listed as "informal", but it's still really dumb.

:holmes:

sorry but to me one of the most important thinks is that you're not stuck in a situation where you're playing alone, maybe you're not even playing yourself but a friend is, and you keep getting matched against a TO5 that fights like they're playing for the 2mil $ but for some reason, they don't want to play ranked because god knows why...

So basically what you want is pub stomp, but not get shite on by better people. Mm interesting.

The only complaint I have with social is that the score in 5v5 should be 75 or 70 kills

• Downvote (-1) 3