CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If you play Warzone like Wasp or the Whiskey squad, you are a loser and a perfect example of what's wrong with Halo today.

What do they do?

What do they do?

Take over the map but never actually kill the core, letting them farm a ton of kills for the sake of stats and commendations.

On that note, is anyone playing Warzone today? @@Moa @ @@heytred

• Upvote (+1) 1

Take over the map but never actually kill the core, letting them farm a ton of kills for the sake of stats and commendations.

Should be on if I'm not sleeping.

I'll be on in a little over an hour! I'll be streaming though.

Played Halo 5 for the first time in a while (months?). Had a chance to briefly use the Halo 2 BR. 

My god is it glorious.  :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 3

In the Infinity's Armory livestream, Max Grossman (who wrote much of the section of the 'A Whole New Ball Game' community update concerning new game types) effectively said that. It seems their intention is not to make a default Oddball (or Ricochet) mode, but to let the community fashion the game type through custom game variations of their rendition of Assault (or Grifball), I would imagine, unless there is significant community backlash.

https://youtu.be/02xPPex4IYA?t=39m25s

I seriously dont understand their reasoning for trying to combine all of the "holding a ball" into one gametype, and making each gametype into just a "sub-gametype" of the "Ball" gametype.

What is the benefit to 343 for doing this? What is the benefit for us? Is it really that difficult to keep each mode as a distinct gametype, with its own categorical name, symbol, etc.?

Benefits of compacting 4-5 modes into one:

-SLIGHTLY less work for 343 for minor UI stuff. It cant be saving much "coding time" since they are programming the settings to allow all the modes anyway.

- I literally can't think of a #2...

Now think of all the negatives that come with their decision..

- Confusing for players, especially new players. The gametype distinction will be hard to make when the ball looks the same no matter which mode its in for new or casual people. "I thought the goal of Ball was to plant it so it blows up the enemy base. Now its telling me I have to hold it to get points?" Its ironic that this seems to be an oversight by a company that felt the need to remind players to "control power weapons to eliminate the enemy team" everytime they play a game mode literally named "Slayer". Weird. Anyways..

- The "ball" won't have a unique model for each mode (logical assumption), so instead of having a cool-looking skull, a bomb, etc. We seem to only have a generic "ball".

- The sub-gametypes will be a mess like others have said. The settings will be different depending on the creator. We shouldn't have to "jerry-rig" staple gametypes. We want them to feel like official modes that are distinguishable. Its like comparing the forged BTB maps they gave us to official on-disc dev maps.

- The resulting lack of continuity and distinction just means were going to have to wait until the "best" combinations of settings is adopted and then chosen to actually be put in MM. Knowing 343 this may take months upon months to actually happen. I want to be playing assault, oddball etc., in the playlist, the day the update is released. Not 6 months from now when 343 decides to adopt some dudes oddball settings (if ever).

- There are so many conflictions that will come from trying to cram all these modes into one. One major example is for objective placement. If someone is forging a map (new or existing) how is there going to be different ball spawn point(s) dependant on the specific sub-gametype? If its oddball I want to place one ball spawn in the middle, but then if its multibomb I have to place a "ball" spawn point at each base. In that case, how do I modify a map to support both oddball and multibomb etc. if they are both considered by the game as the same gametype that share objective placements and player spawning? There are tons of other huge compatibility issues like this that come to mind.

Lastly, how do we know if all the necessary options will be available to recreate (or create new versions) the classic settings?

I just don't understand why we are once again getting compromised, "ripoff" substitutes of what we've had in past games. Things like theater, file browser, spartan AND emblem customization, BTB maps, remixes, and MANY other "downgrades" seem to all stem from 343's desire to cut corners. Im tired of getting bargain bin, mickey mouse interpretations of things that were once high quality.

I want a fucking "Bomb" mode with a nice little bomb emblem in the UI in the game and menus, and the bomb to be a cool looking bomb that makes an epic explosion, and specific announcer things like "BOMB armed, BOMB planted", BOOM. I want specific medals and waypoints that are unique to bomb modes. I want to be able to make neutral and multibomb modes. I want to have a seperate, specified "Oddball" mode with its own unique elements. Including, you know, an actual skull and not the same generic ball model shared with bomb etc. This isn't asking for much 343 - we got this 15 years ago from premature Bungie.

Nevermind what we've got in the past, what about giving us some new additions? Why not create an "official" Grifball mode like Bungie did for Infection (Ironically missing from H5 as well) back in Halo 3? Have the announcer say "Grifball" at the start, give us Grifball medals and UI, make something funny like a grunt's head as the Grifball itself. Fuck. Use your heads (no pun intended). Try and impress us by delivering pleasant surprises rather than expected corner cuts.

I literally see no benefit to condensing all the gametypes into one "Ball" mode, besides letting 343 do less work with assets (announcer, UI, etc). It comes off as lazy and yet I'm sure they'll spin it to sound like they are "giving us the tools to create our own gametypes".

As for PR, wouldn't you rather do a TINY more work so you can advertise "FIVE new modes!" rather than one?

Maybe I'm way off here but damn I'm sick of being dissapointed by 343s unfathomable decision making. Lets hope Ball is everything we expect AND, God forbid, more.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Play a game the way they find fun. Apperently this makes them the devil.

giphy.gif

Honestly, why do you guys care? Its warzone. Who cares if you get HTO'd? Its like getting stomped in action sack. It means less than nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Honestly, why do you guys care? Its warzone. Who cares if you get HTO'd? Its like getting stomped in action sack. It means less than nothing.

First of all it takes forever to end, they never even go for the bosses. Second of all I've never been stomped in action sack and never will. It's cheap as fuck and I guarantee you it's made some kids stop playing Halo all together. 

People should be rewarded with winning quicker, not dragging it out and spawn killing. Which they were, multiple tanks on both sides of the core with direct lines of sight with spawn points and multiple Gauss Warthogs with OS gunners literally behind the spawn in that circle room. These kids must be bullied at school or something. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

-snip-

I think it makes way more sense to create a base gametype that is as flexible as this, especially for us users.

As for which objective type spawns where I'm fairly sure that's something that would be organised by tags in Forge. In fact CTF already does it with the neutral flag setup in Breakout - flag spawns and scoring points are the same object, yet it's obvious to everyone that the neutral flag can't be scored on its spawn point and no flags spawn on the team specific spawn points.

All of those downsides you mention just seem like complaining for the sake of complaining from my perspective - I would have been extremely pleased with "root gametypes" like this as far back as 2010 when Bungie really began to push the capabilities of UGC with Forge 2.0. When one gametype can provide several tournament gametypes, niche gametypes, classic/legacy gametypes, silly gametypes, and still have room for further creativity how can it not be a good thing for longevity and holding interest?

I don't see any group of players who are outright not going to benefit from this, which is more than can be said for having to choose between Oddball/Assault/Grifball etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

First of all it takes forever to end, they never even go for the bosses. Second of all I've never been stomped in action sack and never will. It's cheap as fuck and I guarantee you it's made some kids stop playing Halo all together.

People should be rewarded with winning quicker, not dragging it out and spawn killing. Which they were, multiple tanks on both sides of the core with direct lines of sight with spawn points and multiple Gauss Warthogs with OS gunners literally behind the spawn in that circle room. These kids must be bullied at school or something.

Ya, you should be rewarded for winning fast, but you're not. So why would you blame the players for playing the game the way it rewards you to the fullest? If you want to blame someone, blame 343.

They must be bullied at school? Lol what?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is one of the guys called Lt Wasp?

Yes, but I think his current tag is Wasp Almighty.

If you want to experience true, heartfelt embarrassment for another human being: go to his twitch stream so you can see a 27 year old man beg for money for a gaming chair by setting up a "DX Racer Donation Fund."

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Ya, you should be rewarded for winning fast, but you're not. So why would you blame the players for playing the game the way it rewards you to the fullest? If you want to blame someone, blame 343.

They must be bullied at school? Lol what?

I blame both. When was the last time you were winning a CTF game 2-0 and decided to not cap the flag but spawn kill the other team into quitting? I know I don't do that and I would blame the players that do, not 343. 

Bully comment was meant as a hyperbole, but they obviously have the personality traits that go along with it. After the first 3 minutes, half of our team quit and no one ever joined in progress but they still didn't destroy the core. I would never do that. It's whatever now it's not like I'm still upset about it but I wish people had more respect for others in games. 

Yes, but I think his current tag is Wasp Almighty.

Can confirm, I seriously feel bad for the guy as he plays this game 8-10 hours per day, seems like the most depressing existence on earth.  I watched his stream a couple times, he doesn't even seem to enjoy the game very much

Overgrowth really shouldn't be a map. Any other weapons on there are completely defunct when you have a sword on there. CQB is non existent and a guaranteed loss almost against melee weapons and such.

Get rid of sword (read that shotgun was on there before, fucking hell 343 what are you thinking?) and that map I would probably enjoy.

Why is that?

Because it's ridiculously easy. For all the complaints I hear about bullet mag I'm impressed people still want h2 BR

Exactly so why are you guys in full sweat mode trying to drag the game out

• Upvote (+1) 1

I blame both. When was the last time you were winning a CTF game 2-0 and decided to not cap the flag but spawn kill the other team into quitting? I know I don't do that and I would blame the players that do, not 343.

Bully comment was meant as a hyperbole, but they obviously have the personality traits that go along with it. After the first 3 minutes, half of our team quit and no one ever joined in progress but they still didn't destroy the core. I would never do that. It's whatever now it's not like I'm still upset about it but I wish people had more respect for others in games.

I do that stuff all the time lol. Not as much now because I rarely play in full parties but in h3 and reach I did it all the time. I usually find it fun. If the other team doesn't they always have the option to quit and find a different lobby.

Ive had it happen to me. I either quit or stay and try to mess up sprees. Its nothing to be upset about. Its a video game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because it's ridiculously easy. For all the complaints I hear about bullet mag I'm impressed people still want h2 BR

Yeah that's true. We all still want to play with the iconic BR not the poorly designed new BR we have now. I missed that legendary BR sound, and it just feels right to use that BR even if it's super easy.
  • Upvote (+1) 2