CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

How will a bomb spawning at somewhere other than dead middle of the map ever be fair? If it's not middle, it's either closer to one base or the other.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought you could get Helioskrill from REQ packs?

As far as I know you can, I remember people being upset because they thought it was sort of exclusive.

That's all I'm missing from my collection and when I opened a gold pack I got REQ points.

They said you could, but you can't. 

Finish those campaigns, boi.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How will a bomb spawning at somewhere other than dead middle of the map ever be fair? If it's not middle, it's either closer to one base or the other.

Pit Ricochet comes to mind. Long hall, camo room and shotty room. 

Still placed in a fair place for both teams.

The balls spawn at the midfield line. Truth, Regret, Empire, and Coliseum are horizontally symmetrical, which means both bases' routes are equidistant from the midfield. If a Ball Spawns Pink 2, both teams have the same route/distance to it.

If you play Warzone like Wasp or the Whiskey squad, you are a loser and a perfect example of what's wrong with Halo today. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you play Warzone like Wasp or the Whiskey squad, you are a loser and a perfect example of what's wrong with Halo today. 

It's annoying that this kind of play is encouraged. 

You've got the commendations, the XP/RP reward being time based and of course, most of these squads are now statting for Achilles.

Whenever I get a squad going, it is always try to win the game as fast as possible. I'll get those commendations in due time and I'm certainly not going to spawn kill or make the other team miserable as fuck for an extra 15 minutes.

• Upvote (+1) 5

It's annoying that this kind of play is encouraged. 

You've got the commendations, the XP/RP reward being time based and of course, most of these squads are now statting for Achilles.

Whenever I get a squad going, it is always try to win the game as fast as possible. I'll get those commendations in due time and I'm certainly not going to spawn kill or make the other team miserable as fuck for an extra 15 minutes.

They were at our base before we were, nothing we could do. I did manage to escape once and cap their armory but it didn't last long. I also out BR'ed them in every 1v1. So annoying. 

They were at our base before we were, nothing we could do. I did manage to escape once and cap their armory but it didn't last long. I also out BR'ed them in every 1v1. So annoying. 

Yuppppp. Matched against them recently and it was the same stuff. Was only talking to a third of our squad so we weren't able to communicate bosses, where to go, etc. That's probably my biggest issue with the people I run with, they all just want to get kills and call in REQs instead of killing bosses. Whenever we match a squad like Whiskey or Wasp, it is always the same reason we lose.

Lets say we're on ARC - we'll clear the base and about 8 people will all run to the Elite General. Literally 1-2 people need to go for that boss. Then we move onto the armoury and a good 5 people will go there or so. Once again, literally 1-2 people need to go to the armoury, preferably the same people that killed the Elite General. Everyone else should be pushing directly to their armoury and stopping them from capturing it. Once you've got them locked down and capture their armoury, them move back to Garage, triple cap and then push the core. If all goes to plan, games could end in 5-8 minutes but it just requires everyone to play their part. 

This is even more important when you match a squad of 12. There's nothing more frustrating than having your squad send most of the good players to the Elite General, resulting in the 2-3 players that rush their armoury getting stomped by 12 players.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yuppppp. Matched against them recently and it was the same stuff. Was only talking to a third of our squad so we weren't able to communicate bosses, where to go, etc. That's probably my biggest issue with the people I run with, they all just want to get kills and call in REQs instead of killing bosses. Whenever we match a squad like Whiskey or Wasp, it is always the same reason we lose.

Lets say we're on ARC - we'll clear the base and about 8 people will all run to the Elite General. Literally 1-2 people need to go for that boss. Then we move onto the armoury and a good 5 people will go there or so. Once again, literally 1-2 people need to go to the armoury, preferably the same people that killed the Elite General. Everyone else should be pushing directly to their armoury and stopping them from capturing it. Once you've got them locked down and capture their armoury, them move back to Garage, triple cap and then push the core. If all goes to plan, games could end in 5-8 minutes but it just requires everyone to play their part. 

This is even more important when you match a squad of 12. There's nothing more frustrating than having your squad send most of the good players to the Elite General, resulting in the 2-3 players that rush their armoury getting stomped by 12 players.

The problem is that for a 12 man, winning games in 3-4 minutes all the time is very boring, so some choose to Spawn farm as its slightly more enjoyable for certain people. However, this is terrible for the team getting farmed. Its not fun.

Until teams are matched against teams, 12 mans are always going to be a problem for both parties. Fast games all the time suck. Getting spawn farmed sucks.

The problem is that for a 12 man, winning games in 3-4 minutes all the time is very boring, so some choose to Spawn farm as its slightly more enjoyable for certain people. However, this is terrible for the team getting farmed. Its not fun.

Until teams are matched against teams, 12 mans are always going to be a problem for both parties. Fast games all the time suck. Getting spawn farmed sucks.

Oh totally. I've talked to some people who spawn trap and they do it because they win games easily. I just don't like that style of play, I don't support it and it certainly isn't healthy for Halo in the long-term but I can see why people do it. Easy commendations, easy XP and the lack of party matching in all playlists.

Probably because they are making Oddball to release as a 'default' gametype, but haven't hammered down the specifics for settings yet. If they say 'you can make Oddball' then the community will either

1. Make a ton of different Oddball versions with no universally accepted variation
  2. Complain that 343 hasn't released Oddball and are 'holding it back'

In the Infinity's Armory livestream, Max Grossman (who wrote much of the section of the 'A Whole New Ball Game' community update concerning new game types) effectively said that. It seems their intention is not to make a default Oddball (or Ricochet) mode, but to let the community fashion the game type through custom game variations of their rendition of Assault (or Grifball), I would imagine, unless there is significant community backlash.

https://youtu.be/02xPPex4IYA?t=39m25s

In the Infinity's Armory livestream, Max Grossman (who wrote much of the section of the 'A Whole New Ball Game' community update concerning new game types) effectively said that. It seems their intention is not to make a default Oddball (or Ricochet) mode, but to let the community fashion the game type through custom game variations of their rendition of Assault (or Grifball), I would imagine, unless there is significant community backlash.

https://youtu.be/02xPPex4IYA?t=39m25s

Which is great except I and I'm sure many others don't really have anyone on their lists that play H5. More so, does that also mean that it won't be included in any playlists?

They need to have some sort of universal standard of Oddball, even if 343 themselves make it using this custom ball tool. Then let the community make their own variants off that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's not how symmetry works...

Which is great except I and I'm sure many others don't really have anyone on their lists that play H5.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was beneficial or advantageous in some way, quite the opposite in fact. I would have liked to have seen confirmation of a default Oddball mode for both matchmaking and custom games for reasons of both consistency and accessibility.

What I was largely getting at was that @@Infinity suggested that 343i were avoiding mentioning Oddball or that, 'you can make Oddball,' because they were still working on a default Oddball mode and wished to avoid fragmentation/inconsistent definitions of the Oddball experience or community backlash, yet the fact that a multiplayer designer from 343i did mention Oddball in the context of making 'classic' game modes through custom game variation of Assault runs counter to that argument. 

More so, does that also mean that it won't be included in any playlists?

As I don't work for 343i, I can't answer that with certainty, but given the information made available to us at this stage, I would wager that we won't see Oddball in any official/default capacity, e.g. in playlists, when the February update launches and for some time afterward. It may, as I suggested, become an official mode and be featured in playlists if there is a strong community sentiment (which there likely is) for such an inclusion, or perhaps this may occur through some community playlist.

They need to have some sort of universal standard of Oddball, even if 343 themselves make it using this custom ball tool. Then let the community make their own variants off that.

Bingo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh yeah I suggest something useful and productive and SUUUDDEENNLLLYYYYYY 343's more than happy to turn an ear

Damn, I would be playing that for hours.

Guys, chill. Yeah, the article could've been worded a bit better ("It felt like work" well yeah no shit), but the gametype had to be adjusted to account for H5s new movement mechanics. You can customize it to classic ball if you wish. See how it plays before delivering the full bashing, c'mon.

That literally means nothing with how 343 is treating Halo 5's competitive scene. If any league wants to be included in HCS, they have to abide by 343's settings. This whole "we'll pick the gametypes everyone likes" by leagues doesn't exist with this game. Whatever 343 puts in MM/HCS  will become the standard whether we make better gametypes or not. And you can bet that the gametypes in HCS will be their new version of it. I know it's nice to say to ourselves "Well let's at least try it out first :)". How many times have we said this and then see 343 never budging on it despite the feedback. Can we just for once, just once, say "How about we flip it and try out 343's new settings in customs and keep the classic in HCS". 

• Upvote (+1) 5

They said you could, but you can't. 

Finish those campaigns, boi.

This makes me a happy lore kid

That literally means nothing with how 343 is treating Halo 5's competitive scene. If any league wants to be included in HCS, they have to abide by 343's settings. This whole "we'll pick the gametypes everyone likes" by leagues doesn't exist with this game. Whatever 343 puts in MM/HCS  will become the standard whether we make better gametypes or not. And you can bet that the gametypes in HCS will be their new version of it. I know it's nice to say to ourselves "Well let's at least try it out first :)". How many times have we said this and then see 343 never budging on it despite the feedback. Can we just for once, just once, say "How about we flip it and try out 343's new settings in customs and keep the classic in HCS".

This is the one downside of dev-run tournies; gametypes people may like or may not like are not filtered by the community and instead by people who have their own stake in the game to put their own settings in.

I'll give 343 credit for dropping Breakout completely. They could have been ultra-stubborn and ruined the X-Games with it.

I just got banned for winning a slayer TS game on the Rig in the gameday playlist?

No betrayals or anything...

I REALLY hope they change the flag in Breakout to a neutral bomb since that's how it functions.

Would help with consistency and put my crazy OCD to rest.