CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I guarantee Pro Team wasn't thinking of immersion when rigorously testing the mode.

I want to say, "I guarantee it wasn't the pro team's idea, either", but Christ I don't even know if I can have that much faith at this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was an engineer explaining the changes to a game type. You think he is going to cater the wording to fit something that won't throw you all into a fit of rage (which, by the way, is impossible).

Thousands of people read these articles; they aren't exclusively written for us.

I guarantee Pro Team wasn't thinking of immersion when rigorously testing the mode.

I'd be inclined to believe you if 343 didn't have a history of changing things in order to cater towards bad players. I don't know how else to phrase it so forgive me if anyone's offended, but we all know what's been going on.

Secondly, is the Halo community really so stupid that saying "we made this change to accommodate the gameplay changes" will go over their heads?

Thirdly,

In Halo 5, this was exacerbated by the even faster player movement,

How is anything exacerbated when the ball carrier would presumably have the same abilities?

I remember when strongholds was shit on at the start of H5, hell I even shit on it. 

Now it's hype as fuck. 

I feel like we should be giving Assault a chance before we bitch. What does that say about us that we can't try a gametype out before bitching about it? What good is our opinion then? Why should they listen to us?

• Upvote (+1) 6

I remember when strongholds was shit on at the start of H5, hell I even shit on it. 

Now it's hype as fuck. 

I feel like we should be giving Assault a chance before we bitch. What does that say about us that we can't try a gametype out before bitching about it? What good is our opinion then? Why should they listen to us?

I still think it's the only gametype where rig is playable, that was honestly really fun early on for me.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't mind the different spawning locations.  As long as they're fair, they might be fun.  The only way it would make a meaningful difference to gameplay, however, is if they implemented about a 15 second delay after detonation before spawning the new ball.  That way teams have time to respawn and actually contest the area.  That is the point of the different spawn locations, right?  Demonstrating control over different areas?

I don't mind one hit melees, but double thrust is VERY likely to get annoying quickly.  And if ball throwing is not on, expect some seriously ridiculous juggling.

All in all, I'm really excited for this.  The game needs these modes so freaking badly, and the potential for creativity is through the roof here.  We're gonna get some really fun stuff out of Ball modes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't mind the different spawning locations.  As long as they're fair, they might be fun.  The only way it would make a meaningful difference to gameplay, however, is if they implemented about a 15 second delay after detonation before spawning the new ball.  That way teams have time to respawn and actually contest the area.  That is the point of the different spawn locations, right?  Demonstrating control over different areas?

I don't mind one hit melees, but double thrust is VERY likely to get annoying quickly.  And if ball throwing is not on, expect some seriously ridiculous juggling.

All in all, I'm really excited for this.  The game needs these modes so freaking badly, and the potential for creativity is through the roof here.  We're gonna get some really fun stuff out of Ball modes.

Quality post, as always.

I think the damage of Double Thrust is going to be reliant on how big the movement nerf is for the carrier. It might be the case that juggling might be less effective than using your Thrusts. Who knows. Excited to see the game type come out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now it's hype as fuck. 

I'm pretty sure people were shitting on Strongholds because they axed KOTH for it. 

But Strongholds is fine, and you know why? Because it doesn't have stupid, quirky bullshit. It's a simple concept with normal combat, and actually works well within the high mobility of H5 by encouraging players to spread around and divide their attention. 

Actually it's so neatly put together I can't help but wonder if 343 even thought it up. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Quality post, as always.

I think the damage of Double Thrust is going to be reliant on how big the movement nerf is for the carrier. It might be the case that juggling might be less effective than using your Thrusts. Who knows. Excited to see the game type come out.

Thank you.  My only fear with double thrust is the mindless charging people will do in an effort to get easy melee kills.  If the distance they can cover is too big, it's going to be really freaking annoying.  Like a one-hit spartan charge with no buildup.  So yeah, hopefully there is a fairly severe movement penalty to walking with the bomb that might offset that tactic.

I'm pretty sure people were shitting on Strongholds because they axed KOTH for it. 

But Strongholds is fine, and you know why? Because it doesn't have stupid, quirky bullshit. It's a simple concept with normal combat, and actually works well within the high mobility of H5 by encouraging players to spread around and divide their attention. 

I'm just going to pretend the last sentence doesn't exist, just for the sake of pretending I'm have a mature discussion with you for once:

I think CTF was also a big mystery at the start too, because of Flagnum, but I also think this mode IMPROVED with H5's mechanics because of teams strategies with the flag player. Players like lunchbox go up to the 50 yard line with the flag, other players play much more passively with it. Lethul used it to win that Fathom CTF in the grand finals of X-Games, just pushing up and laying down fire.

Another sure-fire failure we misinterpreted because we assumed that just because it was bad in one game it will be bad in all. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

You should not be able to fire a weapon while holding the objective. Ever. 

It plays fine in H5. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'm just going to pretend the last sentence doesn't exist, just for the sake of pretending I'm have a mature discussion with you for once:

I think CTF was also a big mystery at the start too, because of Flagnum, but I also think this mode IMPROVED with H5's mechanics because of teams strategies with the flag player. Players like lunchbox go up to the 50 yard line with the flag, other players play much more passively with it. Lethul used it to win that Fathom CTF in the grand finals of X-Games, just pushing up and laying down fire.

Another sure-fire failure we misinterpreted because we assumed that just because it was bad in one game it will be bad in all.

And in Halo 4, I made a game-saving push with a care package rocket launcher and promethean vision.

That's not to say it enriches the game in any way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You like everything.

I don't like Storm rifle tho

Also lol at you assuming I like everything, you must not really see my posts when I'm talking about balancing the game

• Upvote (+1) 1

You seriously have a Sanders avatar?

only until either he wins or loses, then it's back to my legendary avatar.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't like Storm rifle tho

Also lol at you assuming I like everything, you must not really see my posts when I'm talking about balancing the game

I cant believe people think that about you

Just goes to show MOST people here have zero argument, which is why you see so many people resorting to "lol shill".

smh... pathetic... disgusting...

But how well does it play without it?

It's a valid question, maybe they'll explore it after HWC season 1. I personally think it fits the game well due to the high level of passive/defensive potential. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I cant believe people think that about you

Just goes to show MOST people here have zero argument, which is why you see so many people resorting to "lol shill".

smh... pathetic... disgusting...

Hey are you going to make a counter-argument to my response to yours?

Hey are you going to make a counter-argument to my response to yours?

Shit, I honestly didn't see it.

I mean, you have a point, for sure, but I think in the confines of ARENA 4v4 tourney play, it's still way better than anything Infinity-obj ever did. 

It's just movement options and dynamic ball spawns, it could play really well when you consider the strategy involved in setups. It's almost like KOTH, where you had to either move on and get ready for the next setup or choose to scrap up time.

My point is, let's see how it goes. Pros will be vocal if its awful and I'm sure they'll get it changed/removed like Breakout if its a disaster.

It COULD be really good, or it could be really bad.

Thank you.  My only fear with double thrust is the mindless charging people will do in an effort to get easy melee kills.  If the distance they can cover is too big, it's going to be really freaking annoying.  Like a one-hit spartan charge with no buildup.  So yeah, hopefully there is a fairly severe movement penalty to walking with the bomb that might offset that tactic.

Maybe the Thrust length may be shorter than the standard Thrust, who knows.

Actually it's so neatly put together I can't help but wonder if 343 even thought it up. 

Conquest Small in BF, Domination in CoD.