CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

HEYY MY FIRST BAN HAMMER...cuz my teammate ( who isn't even in my party) quit.

and we're a bunch of plat's vs a bunch of onyx who just 0-100 us in stronghold.....wut.

i 1v1d my cousin w/o radar.. He then tells me how much more insecure he feels without it. Then I respond telling him how GREAT it felt being able to freely roam around the map knowing theres no storm rifle troll hiding around the corner waiting and staring at his radar.. THATS feeling secured.

Except 1v1s will never work in this game because of the footsteps. Soundwhoring happens in 4v4s too, its just more difficult to do because of the chaos. Removing radar makes things better but the footsteps will just substitute for a lot of the BS radar caused anyways. 

You can still easily camp in a corner with a storm rifle, even in 4v4s, and just listen for footsteps instead of watching a radar.

@@Vetoed, I've brought this up a lot when talking to people about ranking systems and MM stuff. Thought I'd through it out there.

I completely agree that we need expanding search parameters; there ARE cases where people cannot find matches because of their Rank/ELO. However, I genuinely feel that their is a bigger issue tied to your cases specifically. The way you describe it makes it seem as if the second you get placed you are getting locked out of matchmaking, which seems a bit nutty, especially when I've seen Pro Players getting matches in Champion across tons of playlists.

I'd try getting into contact with Bravo over Twitter so the MM team can look into your gamertag specifically. Could be Region, ISP, time of search, etc. Worth a shot.

Not trying to discredit your claims, just saying they seem a bit bombastic at times so I'd hope they can be investigated.

On Topic:

This Community Update on Friday is going to be massive.

• News about the next playlist update (Team Arena changes, Breakout maps integrated, MM test results?, etc.)
  • February Update Preview (Grifball B O Y Z)
  • Possible Spectator Mode Update news

Super excited to see what they have to talk about

• Upvote (+1) 2

The 4th place guy had 17 kills and do you know how many headshots he had? 1. ONE HEADSHOT. WHAT THE FUCK. You cannot tell me autos aren't a problem when a guy can get 17 kills in FFA with only 1 headshot.

Cute. Last season I won a game where I only dropped 1 headshot. It was a high Onyx match on Fathom (which is one of the wider open maps). I had 2 games of Fathom before where I got completly destroyed because I played aggressive and tried to challenge people. The 3rd game I was like "fuck it" and I camped in all the corners of the treehouses and dominated with the Stormriffle. I played so campy and cheap like I never did before. I even felt bad myself and got some messages from other players because they were so mad about my gameplay.

I saved the gameplay and wanted to upload it or make a commentary. Maybe I will try to do that soon. The weapon "balance" is all over the place in FFA and I cant see myself compete in it if it stays that way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On Topic:

• News about the next playlist update (Team Arena changes, Breakout maps integrated, MM test results?, etc.)

Massive?

ounym.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4

They really should nerf the requirements for the First Strike medals in the SC kills tab like they did with the Kills from the Grave.  Seeing as how you only have 1 opportunity per match to get it.

I feel like you are just someone who loved Halo 1 and Halo 2 less so then hated or disliked Halo 3 by reading that list.

I'm aware there are going to be a lot of people here that will attest to the "Fact" that Halo 1 had the highest skill gap, then Halo 2, etc...but personally I have to disagree with that sentiment.

I think Halo 3 has the most underrated skill gap in the franchise by far, and is on the same level as 1-2, if not higher than 1 and possibly 2 in many regards. The BR and Sniper in Halo 3 is by far the hardest to use skill-wise, and map movement and the ability to be sneaky in H3 is always prevalent. I'm not sure how the "Meta gets Worse" in Halo 3...as you can dirty power weapons and time OS/Camo...I don't know why nading down weapons is such an amazing meta if that's the only reason.

Whatever though. I enjoyed every Halo title besides Reach and Halo 4, but I still played a fair amount of both. I think Halo 5 has an overrated skill gap, some will try to say it has the highest since Halo 3 or higher which is laughable to me, but I'm not sure how it has no Meta at all? Can you explain what you mean by saying H5 has no meta because I'm curious as to what you are trying to say.

I think there is a small meta to halo 5, but the amount of item control in halo 5 compared to halo ce is completely different. it also goes beyond just item control, you have to sacrifice map positions in halo ce to get the items.

take a map like dammy in hce for example. there are two snipers, one is super close to camo, then you have rockets, which is close to os, but you're completely exposed to get os, and you most definitely give up height advantage to get it..and if you take the easy route to get os, which are the bridges, which is highest risk of exposure, you're giving up rockets due to the fact you have to nade jump to get over the wall to make the shortcut, otherwise you're walking back down the bridge and all the way around toward the portal to get rockets.

that to me is meta on an item control decision making process. i havent even gotten into shooting and aiming yet.

so in halo 5, i see some meta, but it isnt near as deep as halo ce was. good players were constantly timing everything in halo ce, you had to keep your head practically on a swivel to survive against good players, i dont see it so much in halo 5 because everything has become overly simplistic. a map like peagesus cluld really use a second powerup on the opposite side of the map to counter the overshield. this would make for a much more interesting game because now you're making players have to control four items instead of three...

meta is probably diff for everyone but the meta in halo ce reminds me a lot of quake, and that's why i enjoy hce so much. its far more than just a 3sk pistol.

i think halo 5 has solid foundation but they're not going full out, because i think there's an underlying fear of alienating players or scaring them off if things are too hard or require more thinking than a basic run n gun game.

i apologize for any grammar misrakes, im on my phone.

On Topic:

just removing break out from team. arena isnt all that massive imo.

I am pretty sure about 60% of the FFA games I've played have gone the full 12 minutes meaning no one made it to 25. This is a huge problem and I believe it really shows why this game type needs a huge overhaul ASAP. This is supposed to be a fast paced gametype where it's constant action. In some games I have gone 30 seconds or more without even seeing somebody. Are you "pro-armor ability" people sure this is the "fastest Halo yet"? FFA is so slow it's ridiculous. Then when you finally see someone they are corner camping with an smg or SR and melt you. Now you respawn and go through it all over again. I'm curious if this is also a problem at champ level FFA OH WAIT THEY CANT FIND GAMES.

Also, I just won a game of FFA on Riptide (only 24 kills) and I had 10 fuel rod kills. This weapon literally BREAKS 6 man FFA. The ammo capacity and quick spawn timer is not good AT ALL (same with Regret). The 4th place guy had 17 kills and do you know how many headshots he had? 1. ONE HEADSHOT. WHAT THE FUCK. You cannot tell me autos aren't a problem when a guy can get 17 kills in FFA with only 1 headshot.

I just want to play good old fashioned FFA man at least I can't match parties here. But thy gametype doesn't even get different weapon placements. If they can change things between slayer and strongholds they can do the same for FFA.

Some maps need to to be straight up removed from FFA. For instance: Fathom is too damn huge for 6 person FFA.

Holy crap, I actually managed to place Onyx in FFA. Now its time to never touch FFA again, and just stare at that shiny rank.

Though, considering I placed Plat in both SWAT and Team Arena, I'm assuming that the ranking system for FFA is still a bit weird.

Plat is the highest one can place in Swat. It's rather glitchy lol.

On Topic:

Honestly, I am just expecting a huge cock tease :salt:

just removing break out from team. arena isnt all that massive imo.

One step closer to it being the HCS playlist.

anyone else having real bad rubber banding / lagging in matches? i too got my first ban hammer yesterday after i lagged out of 3/3 warzone games... and 1 break out. this was my first time playing since the Feb update.

anyone else having real bad rubber banding / lagging in matches? i too got my first ban hammer yesterday after i lagged out of 3/3 warzone games... and 1 break out. this was my first time playing since the Feb update.

Yeah most people are saying they've encountered a lot more lag since 343 implemented the matchmaking/networking tweaks. I've definitely noticed significantly more cases of it while playing the last few days. 

Yeah most people are saying they've encountered a lot more lag since 343 implemented the matchmaking/networking tweaks. I've definitely noticed significantly more cases of it while playing the last few days. 

fixing one thing breaks another i guess. i dont get much time to play but out of the like 6 games i started last night i was only able to complete 2.

I am so happy this Breakout experiment is falling flat on its face, partially because I absolutely hate the gametype, but mostly because they tried to stuff it in our faces with nobody's consent. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I am so happy this Breakout experiment is falling flat on its face, partially because I absolutely hate the gametype, but mostly because they tried to stuff it in our faces with nobody's consent. 

i enjoy break out, not so much these community maps but thats bc i dont like change and learning new maps lol. but break out arena was just awful and having it in the team arena playlist was bad as well. glad it will be in its own playlist only

they stuff alot of stuff in our faces based on selection bias. ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really want to know if the people at 343i are going to do something about matchmaking for people that search solo in arena. At this point it's probably the most frustrating Halo I've ever played ever, and it feels like I am being punished for playing by myself. Most of the time I'm going against team of fours, and it's not fun at all. That's why I stick to Warzone until I have a solid squad for Arena.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really want to know if the people at 343i are going to do something about matchmaking for people that search solo in arena. At this point it's probably the most frustrating Halo I've ever played ever, and it feels like I am being punished for playing by myself. Most of the time I'm going against team of fours, and it's not fun at all. That's why I stick to Warzone until I have a solid squad for Arena.

i really think they need playlists for slayer and arena that are no parties allowed. win/loss determining a player's rank or skill is negated when you search solo.

@@Vetoed, I've brought this up a lot when talking to people about ranking systems and MM stuff. Thought I'd through it out there.

I completely agree that we need expanding search parameters; there ARE cases where people cannot find matches because of their Rank/ELO. However, I genuinely feel that their is a bigger issue tied to your cases specifically. The way you describe it makes it seem as if the second you get placed you are getting locked out of matchmaking, which seems a bit nutty, especially when I've seen Pro Players getting matches in Champion across tons of playlists.

I'd try getting into contact with Bravo over Twitter so the MM team can look into your gamertag specifically. Could be Region, ISP, time of search, etc. Worth a shot.

Not trying to discredit your claims, just saying they seem a bit bombastic at times so I'd hope they can be investigated.

It seems a little bombastic to people who haven't experienced it and I feel like that's one of the reasons it's not taken seriously. A lot of people are rated Champion and get games just fine. It's a percentage of people in Champion who get screwed over. And don't be mistaken that it has to do with the Champion #. Current top Champions are people with low MMRs who don't struggle to get games. The people who were previous high Champions just can't get matches right now due to their high MMR, and get screwed over out of their deserved top spots. I've had top 5 highest CSR and MMR since preseason in FFA, couldn't get consistent matches then, and I sure as hell can't now since MMR has carried over since. I guarantee that the current top Champions in FFA are kids with 10-20% win rates who just get games 24/7.

It has nothing to do with region or ISP. I live in North America on the east coast have an open NAT and great ping in most games I'm in when the server isn't across the world. I have Verizon FiOS, average 50 MB up and down, never had issues before I got ranked high, and I don't experience ANY in Warzone. I don't need those PR responses or investigations. It's legit as simple as I've explained it. Trust me that I've investigated too with different people based on their ranks and locales. I don't need to be told "it'll be looked into".

High ranks struggle to find games in general. FFA is a struggle to find games in general (I was watching Formal two nights ago, the dude BARELY touches Halo 5 and couldn't even find games in FFA). Imagine the combination of both. I legit averaged 1 game per hour yesterday. Even Kampy was going for Champ 1 in FFA last night and spent more time watching clips than in games. I've seen widespread issues of good players struggling to find games across the board on Twitter. I could link you a dozen tweets from different people, but I don't even think there's a point in that, because it's literally just has I've been describing it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've just embraced FFA completely. Sure it takes a while to find sometimes, but better than getting wrecked by Onyx TO4.

That's why I stick to Warzone until I have a solid squad for Arena.

You think they're upset about this? Warzone is thier baby and thier sugar daddy.

One thing that was nice about early preseason FFA was that there were enough players on that even at high Champion, games could be found, and because of the tight restrictions, they were often very close and competitive. Over time though, matchmaking times increased to the point where it stopped completely. At this point, creating matches period takes precedence over skill-based matchups.

Two possibilities for FFA and to a lesser extent other playlists.

1.) people stopped playing

2.) MMR became separated to the point where matches became harder for those at the very top

Safe to say both. What would be cool would be a self-adjusting MMR-range matchup potential. A system takes into account real-time population per MMR range and can in those moments adjust potential matchups based upon a preference that we can set.

From my understanding, Halo 3's system increased the range of potential matchups by +/- 10 levels for a set amount of time spent searching.

Let's say this;

I'm high champion in a playlist with 10 people within 10 MMR of my level. We are all very close in skill, and 8 of us in a game would generate the best possible match. However, 8 of these people are in a game which will take 8+ min to end. Also, there are 100 players within 50 MMR of my level. I can find a game with 7 other of these 100 within 2 minutes.

I should be able to choose with a preference setting which one of these I want to go with, with an appropriate CSR-gain penalty per game for choosing to play with lesser-skilled players. I should also get a message that tells me there are an insufficient or incompatible amount of players within my strict MMR range if I choose the first option.