CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hyperbole. The left gives off the impression of being a data driven chart, while the right is just a bunch of equal sized circles overlayed.

You are right. The pistol circle needs to be much much smaller.
  • Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ok I'm completely done with h5 right now.

I was one game away from diamond. Since then the majority of my games have been against to4 or to3 and I dropped down a lot of ranks. I stopped playing halo 5 for a week and played some destiny mp instead. After watching Aspen I wanted to see how high i can get before the end of the season. But my aiming is completely gone. It feels like I havent played with a controller for months. At destiny I felt comfortable with the aiming after the first game. And half of my games are against full teams again.

So now that I don't want to play ranked any more there is absolutely nothing else to do in this game. Ranked is beyond frustrating with the shitty aiming, team matchmaking and broken autos. Warzone is fun for one or two games before it gets repetitive as hell. And there are no social, silly or fun playlists whatsoever.

At this point there is nothing in this game to keep me playing. And I think a lot of people reached this point way before me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok I'm completely done with h5 right now.

I was one game away from diamond. Since then the majority of my games have been against to4 or to3 and I dropped down a lot of ranks. I stopped playing halo 5 for a week and played some destiny mp instead. After watching Aspen I wanted to see how high i can get before the end of the season. But my aiming is completely gone. It feels like I havent played with a controller for months. At destiny I felt comfortable with the aiming after the first game. And half of my games are against full teams again.

So now that I don't want to play ranked any more there is absolutely nothing else to do in this game. Ranked is beyond frustrating with the shitty aiming, team matchmaking and broken autos. Warzone is fun for one or two games before it gets repetitive as hell. And there are no social, silly or fun playlists whatsoever.

At this point there is nothing in this game to keep me playing. And I think a lot of people reached this point way before me.

You and a lot of people man. 

I also find it incredibly sad that 30 fps Destiny aiming feels better than Halo 5's 60 fps aiming. They really fucked the aiming up between the beta and final release that's for sure. 

That's because the pistol is a better team-shot weapon; it kills with a single headshot. Playing solo against aggressive players, the AR is almost always the better choice, because it's consistent and predictable with it's kill time, and you can't miss shots. Less people run solo in Onyx and higher, and less people play aggressively (the ones that do are usually in teams, and aggressively team-shot with the pistol). That's why it's like that.

In H5 FFA, where spawns are satans pets and every encounter is solo, the AR has shown to be way too good. Effective in mid-close range battles, the pistols usually used for farther distance and picking off. But when you see a red dot close in, switching to AR is always the right decision.

You must've missed that tournament because players were missing AR/SMG shots and getting shit on stream.

Playing with more AR than Pistol is an even worse idea if you're playing solo. After running smurfs with AR only the team shot necessity is worse than Halo 3 where you need to be in each others LoS to kill people unlike the pistol because anything past CQC the AR player will most likely miss shots and a pistol player will win.

If you're issue is the enemies are far too aggressive, the answer isn't to use the AR lol. Even as a solo player you can effectively zone enemies out in this game pretty damn well. Have someone at the enemies Bubble in CTF Truth and players can live forever there, have someone at Tower in Empire and they can do the same with DMR/Pistol, Rig Slayer is quite honestly just zoning and spacing (you can do a lot in T2 or Bunker wall with a pistol and nades), Coli slayer/CTF you can zone players hard when you force elbow spawns, etc etc. Even as a solo player I don't see how these positions favor an AR because their ranges don't work for that. Aggression is stupid when it doesn't work, which it wouldn't if you have smart positioning because you can zone enemies pretty hard by just yourself. 

You are right. The pistol circle needs to be much much smaller.

Cant tell if you guys are serious sometimes with these posts lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

2k csr? You do realise that is like 0.000001% of the playerbase right?

Even at the fringe of diamond/onyx(the eqivalent of people who struggled but got a 50) theres big time auto usage. Below that? Its an epidemic.

do you think pudge is overpowered as well

You must've missed that tournament because players were missing AR/SMG shots and getting shit on stream.

Playing with more AR than Pistol is an even worse idea if you're playing solo. After running smurfs with AR only the team shot necessity is worse than Halo 3 where you need to be in each others LoS to kill people unlike the pistol because anything past CQC the AR player will most likely miss shots and a pistol player will win.

If you're issue is the enemies are far too aggressive, the answer isn't to use the AR lol. Even as a solo player you can effectively zone enemies out in this game pretty damn well. Have someone at the enemies Bubble in CTF Truth and players can live forever there, have someone at Tower in Empire and they can do the same with DMR/Pistol, Rig Slayer is quite honestly just zoning and spacing (you can do a lot in T2 or Bunker wall with a pistol and nades), Coli slayer/CTF you can zone players hard when you force elbow spawns, etc etc. Even as a solo player I don't see how these positions favor an AR because their ranges don't work for that. Aggression is stupid when it doesn't work, which it wouldn't if you have smart positioning because you can zone enemies pretty hard by just yourself.

What exactly does the pistol beat? It's the worst precision weapon and gets beaten by most autos at close range. It's probably more niche than the autos honestly.
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What exactly does the pistol beat? It's the worst precision weapon and gets beaten by most autos at close range. It's probably more niche than the autos honestly.

Did you even watch xgames? It was the most-used weapon, and a lot of pros didn't even bother with DMR/BRs

Did you even watch xgames? It was the most-used weapon, and a lot of pros didn't even bother with DMR/BRs

Pros used rifles constantly and when they did they beat pistol users in a majority of their engagements. It's a known fact the rifles are all better than the pistol. Name one other Halo game where you could pick up another rifle and have an advantage over the starting rifle.

And of course it's the most used weapon, you spawn with it. If there were 8 BRs on each map you best believe the BR would be most used. It's much better than the pistol. Same with carbine, DMR and LR.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Oh yeah, the nostalgia goggles are real

The autopilot levels of autoaim in Halo 2 combined with the dual wield gimmick ruining half the weapons in the game were far more gamebreaking than anything you could possibly think of in any other Halo game

Halo 3 had erratic BR spread, shit movement acceleration, and an equally bad weaponset, but was still a better game than Halo 2 purely on merit of the lower autoaim and the lower autoaim alone

Twitch views beg to differ

H2A was a complete trainwreck, Twitch dropped the game immediately. The finals for the first H2A event had lower numbers than the opening games because the game was complete stalemate horseshit

The X-games event started off sluggish but slowly gained steam and were quite respectable by the end

Twitch is the current demographic that MLG/GB used to be 5-10 years ago. If you can't get Twitch behind your game, which H2A couldn't, it's DOA. The technical issues of the game had nothing to do with the H2A stream viewercounts being a total flop, they started out high in the 30k range or whatever, and only got lower and lower as the day went on, until they were like a piddly 6000 by finals or something.

This isn't about nostalgia, it's about what works and what doesn't work for a Halo game. Armor abilities/Spartan abilities have proven to not work for Halo. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of Halo players have left this franchise because of them. No matter how you look at them, they are game breaking, meaning they turn off the player to a point where they do not want to play that game whatsoever. Halo 5 is the game that it really hit me: No matter what, ability gimmicks cannot and will not EVER work for Halo and as long as they are included in future Halo games, sales and population will continue to drop until this franchise is ultimately dead.

You are claiming that Halo 2/3 had game breaking issues. However, if those issues you mentioned were so game breaking, why did hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people play these games to death? BTW, the H2/H3 BRs had a much bigger skill gap to them than the H5 and H2A BR.

Twitch views for H5 have been really low until just recently. Could that have anything to do with the Microsoft backed $2 million tournament that's going on? Back in the glory days, Bungie/Microsoft didn't have to back Halo tournaments, as the games themselves were so good that outside companies like MLG were more than willing to host them.

H2A sucked(for many reasons) and is not a good representation of original formula Halo. Super easy BR and sniper made me dread having to play it when it would pop up in Big Team. Also nuke-like nades and the over abundance of them didn't help.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I did miss the tourney, and god knows how any pro player could miss shots with the AR. It has ADS for christs sake, it can melt at mid range if you want it to. I know I don't miss shots with SMG's or AR's unless the aiming goes wacky, just like all the H5 weapons. The ADS range increase and the headshot multiplier means the pistol only wins and mid/close if it hits every single shot. Am I just good at the game, or?

I disagree. In my experience zoning without a team is the hardest it's ever been in Halo, because of how unpredictable the movement mechanics are and how quickly and easily people can kill you. You give an example like truth, which doesnt really work because playing aggressive doesnt get you anywhere unless you have a solid team-shot because of how open and slow the map is. With that map specifically AR's are unless pushing p1/c1 or the guys hiding in the base corners. Rig Slayer is just zoning, but it's pretty much impossible to zone that whole area yourself without being able to control at least caster or scattershot, good luck with that lol. Even if you were to do that, using the corners or Truth's bases or the many corners of Rig's walls to radar pounce is so effective, it's range covers almost all of those areas and as long as you keep moving with aggressive spot coverage you'll have a much higher change then either covering aggressively with the pistol, where 1 missed bullet will lose you a fight, or covering conservatively with the pistol were you'll just get naded out no matter what your range advantage is.

Aggression is stupid when it doesnt work, but the best players make it always work because it will win you games when they're on the line, playing conservatively won't unless you're against idiot opponents.

more nostalgia goggles

No, the masses you're talking about either left for COD, or never picked up Halo because they play League of Legends

Even your nostalgia goggles are rewriting history. Bungie and MS were major sponsors of MLG, providing thousands of dollars in hardware and games. The prize pool itself came from other sponsors and the event costs broke even with open bracket tickets. If it wasn't for their backing, providing MLG with a billion xboxes and copies of Halo, they wouldn't have had any money to put towards the prize pool in the first place

• Downvote (-1) 1

So it works as intended?? The rifles all get beaten by those same autos at close range.

So it works as intended?? The rifles all get beaten by those same autos at close range.

The thing is it shouldnt beat the pistol if the pistol lands all of its shot, but it does.

It was the most used weapon because 1. It's a super-effective teamshotting weapon and 2. because they spawn with it. The reason Pro's don't always pick uper the better precisions is because it's usually irrelevant or just a distraction to the play that's being made in the moment. If a BR just happens to be there when there's no immediate play or move, the pro will usually pick it up. Also the fact that it feels better to use.

KT wise it beats a good amount of weapons.

Practicality wise it still beats a lot of weapons like it was showed on stream and even in scrims and the like. Watch snipedown, dude doesn't even use the ARs much even when you look at his Waypoint stats https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/service-records/weapons/players/eg%20snip3down%20ew?gameMode=Arena

He has double digit AR kills lmao. Then look at Victory X who even Lethul had to admit is great at this game and every rifle besides LR beats his AR kills https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/service-records/weapons/players/victory%20is%20back?gameMode=Arena

Lets not even mention that for every pro the Pistol kill is almost always number 1 so it being a niche is completely false just by empirical evidence alone. Saying it's a niche makes no sense when even on stream you saw a lot of Pistol kills. There are A LOT of Pistol kills in this game im not sure how people refute this

Also you see really good players not opt out the Pistol almost ever. Look at Victory X who always goes with the BR/Pistol combo or the Carbine/Pistol combo because he favors long range. 

do you think pudge is overpowered as well

Hey man if you want to talk dota balance we can go to that thread and i can teach you a thing or two about that as well.  :)

The thing is it shouldnt beat the pistol if the pistol lands all of its shot, but it does.

It is just barely beaten by the AR and SMG if you don't miss shots. I'm leaving the SR out of this because everyone knows it needs nerfed. The pistol user right now has to land a perfect AND make the auto user miss shots. Sounds like he has to outplay the guy in order to kill his opponent who is using the better weapon for the range he is fighting him. So no issue there. 

The thing about people on here is that they all think that it is impossible to miss with an auto, when it isn't. It's like everyone thinks that AR popped some Addy and is so laser focused that it will never miss a shot, when that just isn't the case.

KT wise it beats a good amount of weapons.

Practicality wise it still beats a lot of weapons like it was showed on stream and even in scrims and the like. Watch snipedown, dude doesn't even use the ARs much even when you look at his Waypoint stats https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/service-records/weapons/players/eg%20snip3down%20ew?gameMode=Arena

He has double digit AR kills lmao. Then look at Victory X who even Lethul had to admit is great at this game and every rifle besides LR beats his AR kills https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/service-records/weapons/players/victory%20is%20back?gameMode=Arena

Lets not even mention that for every pro the Pistol kill is almost always number 1 so it being a niche is completely false just by empirical evidence alone. Saying it's a niche makes no sense when even on stream you saw a lot of Pistol kills. There are A LOT of Pistol kills in this game im not sure how people refute this

Also you see really good players not opt out the Pistol almost ever. Look at Victory X who always goes with the BR/Pistol combo or the Carbine/Pistol combo because he favors long range.

KT wise the pistol still isn't good. Plus average kill time means more than perfect and the BR/DMR all are way easier to use for basically the same kill time. Again, the only reason pistol is #1 is because it is the starting precision weapon. No pro would choose a pistol over a BR if given the chance to choose one or the other. Victory X did absolutely awful this event so I wouldn't look at his set up as the main thing. The pistol is the weakest rifle and in turn will also get beaten by more autos. Yet it's also the most difficult and has bad RRR. That's a problem.

Play a 4v4 where one team spawns with BR's and the other spawns with pistols. Do this with every rifle in the game and you'll see a pattern. Now, play a 4v4 and never use anything but your pistol. Look at the results.

Hell, try and play FFA with just a pistol. You'll see in a second that the game is not balanced.

Okay I'm seeing the "autos are a non-issue" argument quite a bit. So let me ask you this:

If it's not an issue then why do you care if thy get nerfed? You say they aren't a problem but you refuse to let them be nerfed for the masses of people complaining. Why is that? Unless you do realize that they are giving you kills you probably should not be getting.

It is just barely beaten by the AR and SMG if you don't miss shots.

It is beaten by the AR even if you hit every shot, big balancing no-no. It is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING SHAT ON by the SMG, no matter how many shots you hit. You need to be in mid range to have a chance against an SMG.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People always seems to forget the timeframe that Halo 2 and Halo 3 came out and that's largely the reason they were so popular. Yeah they're better games than H5, but they had issues. Boy did they have issues. I don't find the majory of the abilities in Halo 5 as detrimental as a lot of people say. It's fast, it's 60fps, and a shitload better than Halo 4 and non-doubles Halo Reach. I agree the auto's need nerfing though. And take out the damn hit-markers.

Lack of party restrictions is probably Halo 5's biggest flaw though. The ranking system is great, but it's turned to crap because of this.

Okay I'm seeing the "autos are a non-issue" argument quite a bit. So let me ask you this:

If it's not an issue then why do you care if thy get nerfed? You say they aren't a problem but you refuse to let them be nerfed for the masses of people complaining. Why is that? Unless you do realize that they are giving you kills you probably should not be getting.

Because we just had Halo 5's first major event and the complaints about the AR are clearly ridiculously overblown

That's the whole context this topic came back up

Why should the game be balanced around low level play?

It is beaten by the AR even if you hit every shot, big balancing no-no. It is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING SHAT ON by the SMG, no matter how many shots you hit. You need to be in mid range to have a chance against an SMG.

If an automatic weapon has a faster perfect kill time than a precision weapon then there is a huge problem. And guess what? All of them do. So it's an enormous problem. Even if they don't get the kill they do way more damage than they should. Pistol is all or nothing. Autos will always do SOMETHING. That was one of the biggest arguments against the BR and now people defend it for autos? I dont get it.