CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh yeah, the nostalgia goggles are real

The autopilot levels of autoaim in Halo 2 combined with the dual wield gimmick ruining half the weapons in the game were far more gamebreaking than anything you could possibly think of in any other Halo game

Halo 3 had erratic BR spread, shit movement acceleration, and an equally bad weaponset, but was still a better game than Halo 2 purely on merit of the lower autoaim and the lower autoaim alone

Halo 5 is literally the first game since CE where all the weapons are useful and it seems like everyone just wants to completely ignore this

Stop comparing h5's weapon sandbox to hce's. Everything being powerful =\= everything be useful and well designed.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Useful =\= balance

You seem to not understand that. 

Okay, I'll bite. How is a useless weapon balanced?

Stop comparing h5's weapon sandbox to hce's. Everything being powerful =\= everything be useful and well designed.

Triggered? I'll compare whatever I want to whatever I want.

Instead of just telling me to stop doing things you don't like explain how H5 is not the most balanced weaponset in a Halo game since CE. I really want to see what kind of mental gymnastics you've got here.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Its not but an underpowered weapon hurts a game a loooooooottttttt less than an overpowered one.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Instead of just telling me to stop doing things you don't like explain how H5 is not the most balanced weaponset in a Halo game since CE. I really want to see what kind of mental gymnastics you've got here.

The AR is the least powerful automatic in the game (bar maybe the suppressor). Yet it has a faster perfect kill time then the pistol. That means every other auto is even more powerful.

Couple that with the shirty aiming and you can't hit pistol shots on close range. However, autos are perfectly fine. That's a problem.

Then you have the sniper which is a joke honestly.

Rockets should be buffed though.

Oh and all the rifles shit on the pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 5

First day over from waypoint?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Aiming system is broken, no matter what you think. Some people just aren't as in tune with how a game feels aiming wise, not a knock at you but it does happen. Someone on these forums claimed to not realize his sticks were inverted at one point, so nothing is impossible I guess. 

The automatics are OP as fuck and lower the skill gap. 

The kill times are way too slow with the sprint and thrust mechanics working the way they do.

Etc.

I'd argue none of those are game breaking in the slightest, some of the issues aren't ideal like the autos having far too much range but the game most definitely isn't broken.

If it's easy as fuck to use, AR/Storm, it shouldn't have kill times equal to or better than the skill based weapons. Not that hard to grasp. 

Rockets being the exception because the skillful part is the fight for them. 

But the games I just this weekend saw demonstrated that the AR is a non issue

If I were to take what I read in this thread at face value there would have been tons of mid-long range quickscope meltdowns with the AR and SMG and this literally never happened

As for the storm rifle, it's a projectile based weapon and deserves to be stronger than hitscan

I think the real problem here is that for decades the SMG/AR and Plasma rifle were simply garbage weapons that, once you learned how to aim, were never useful in any circumstance since Halo 2 and you simply expect them to continue to be garbage weapons.

The only weapon that seems over the top to me in Halo 5 so far is the Railgun.

I'd argue none of those are game breaking in the slightest, some of the issues aren't ideal like the autos having far too much range but the game most definitely isn't broken.

Fair enough. 

Quick question though, was Halo 4 broken in your eyes? Why or why not? 

A messed up aiming system is one of the most broken thing an FPS can have. Weapon balance, abilities and maps all can easily be reasons people don't play a certain game. They are game-breaking to many people just like Halo 3's aiming was.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

Yes, almost all weapons are actually useful in this game. It can be nice sometimes but does it mean it is balanced in arena? No because it encourages people to only use autos.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thats your opinion. The fact that I feel like thor the invincible god of thunder every time I grab a storm rifle is a pretty big deal imo.

Because they don't care about competitive play? Different strokes for different folks.

Because something huge happened for the Halo community and all they care about is funny gifs. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, almost all weapons are actually useful in this game. It can be nice sometimes but does it mean it is balanced in arena? No because it encourages people to only use autos.

We just had an entire weekend of halo that demonstrated without a doubt this isn't happening at all

The AR is a highly situational close range weapon that you use in CQC against an opponent who is 100% going to thrust out of your crosshair

The split between rifle/pistol kills and auto kills was probably 80%/20% and that's being generous

• Downvote (-1) 1

If I were to take what I read in this thread at face value there would have been tons of mid-long range quickscope meltdowns with the AR and SMG and this literally never happened

As for the storm rifle, it's a projectile based weapon and deserves to be stronger than hitscan

I think the real problem here is that for decades the SMG/AR and Plasma rifle were simply garbage weapons that, once you learned how to aim, were never useful in any circumstance since Halo 2 and you simply expect them to continue to be garbage weapons.

If the autos were hard to use, very little auto aim and zero bullet magnetism, they would be fine. If they filled a role other than straight up killing faster than anything remotely skillful they would be fine. If they were very limited like the plasma pistol or shotgun on the map they would be fine. 

However, that's not the case. They are everywhere on the map with fast respawns and are straight up better up close than the utility weapon or other rifles on the map. They are not just "useful", they are OP and thus broken. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why do people think that when H5 is criticized, it automatically means that H2 and H3 are being put on a pedestal as perfect games?

"Halo 5 is broken"

"So, Halo 3 and Halo 2 had issues too!"

"....ok how does that change what I just said?"

I feel like saying Halo 5 is the best out of the box since CE is kinda weird. It SHOULD be the best we've had how many titles that they could use data from? If they can't get Halo 5 right from the get go with all this information then there is something wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A messed up aiming system is one of the most broken thing an FPS can have. Weapon balance, abilities and maps all can easily be reasons people don't play a certain game. They are game-breaking to many people just like Halo 3's aiming was.

I don't consider the aiming to be broken.

Fair enough. 

Quick question though, was Halo 4 broken in your eyes? Why or why not? 

No, I wouldn't say it was broken. For a game to be broken it literally has to be unplayable, the MCC for example was broken.

H4 is a game which for the most part works absolutely fine. It has some design decisions I'd consider questionable but nothing which made the game unplayable.

• Downvote (-1) 2

So because pro level communication and teamshot reduces the impact of autos its not an issue? Even though at virtually all other levels of play autos play a hug role? Especially in gametypes with less than 8 people.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't consider the aiming to be broken.

No, I wouldn't say it was broken. For a game to be broken it literally has to be unplayable, the MCC for example was broken.

H4 is a game which for the most part works absolutely fine. It has some design decisions I'd consider questionable but nothing which made the game unplayable.

Congrats the aiming isn't broken to you! Now let's look at all the threads on multiple websites and the countless people that have been complaining about it. To deny the aiming system is an issue is just denial. You HAVE to see all these people that are complaining. It's 100% a different aiming system than past Halo games and that makes it feel very wrong from the start.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If the autos were hard to use, very little auto aim and zero bullet magnetism, they would be fine. If they filled a role other than straight up killing faster than anything remotely skillful they would be fine. If they were very limited like the plasma pistol or shotgun on the map they would be fine. 

However, that's not the case. They are everywhere on the map with fast respawns and are straight up better up close than the utility weapon or other rifles on the map. They are not just "useful", they are OP and thus broken. 

Were we watching the same game this weekend?

You keep saying this is happening and there is a whole weekend of VOD to the contrary. If what you were saying was true there would be more AR kills than Pistol kills in the feed.

When we're evaluating the balance of the game I'm afraid Pro footage >>> Your matchmaking experience. If you make the AR weaker then it would never get used period, which as I said like a page ago, might be what you want in the first place.