CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oc3ufMO.jpg

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why Achilles Helmet is not going to be seen for at least another month and a half.

Also, lol, only 1k exp for doing this, and a crappy SC Commendation pack. More Mongeese and EXP Gambits

That's fine, the level 2's are what  will take the longest apparently also it will be rarer if it takes this long.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're comparing one month of free content to a pack which will probably cost about £12.

How can you call it content? Its stuff that was shockingly absent at launch that was expected to be there.

The REQs are to encourage people to buy more REQ packs with money, because a casual, no, most people, will take months to unlock it by playing.

If this is what "free content" looks like, I'd gladly pay a couple bucks every 3 months for original and interesting content.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How can you call it content? Its stuff that was shockingly absent at launch that was expected to be there.

The REQs are to encourage people to buy more REQ packs with money, because a casual, no, most people, will take months to unlock it by playing.

If this is what "free content" looks like, I'd gladly pay a couple bucks every 3 months for original and interesting content.

Over 3 months we've had:

- 3 new maps (1 with an assault variant)

- 7 forge maps

- 4 forge palettes

- forge itself (which is extremely powerful)

- new weapons and weapon variants

- new armour, emblems and skins

Which has all been free and as such hasn't split the community across map packs making it basically pointless to buy DLC because you won't play it after a month.

BO3 will be getting 5 new maps, one of which is a zombies map, after 3 months for a "couple of bucks" (probably closer to 15). Oh and Xbox and PC players won't get this for another month.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I don't understand how anybody could legitimately call the stuff we've been getting "free DLC". These are just post-launch updates, filling in the content that they for whatever reason missed out at launch.

The only thing considered "brand new content" imo, is the 1 original map we've gotten since launch Noctus (which existed well before launch anyway) and REQ's, which are just reskinned and rebalanced weapons. The forge maps are just forge maps, and remixes are so fucking derivative and unoriginal it makes me ill thinking about the fact people see them as new. I'm still waiting for the real  DLC content with the quality that we're used to.

Bungie always release a couple 100% original maps/remakes at the  minimum, as well as the firefight and forge content they added. In Destiny the new content is even more substantial. New weapons, new maps, new raids, new strikes, new fucking shitloads of content. That is what I'd call real DLC, not the glorified post-launch updates we've been getting to make up for what we didn't get at launch, and to make themselves look better by calling everything free.

I've had a steak for dinner. I'd rather pay for a nice dessert then be given the free scraps they have leftover from making the steak I literally just ate.

• Upvote (+1) 9

They're reluctant because it's easier to create cool trailers for flashy games than well designed games. 343's marketing is pretty top notch, though--they managed to sell people on Halo 5's campaign, after all--so even their worst attempt couldn't be awful. I wonder what key points trailers are supposed to hit anyway. They are probably required to show at least fifteen weapons per trailer that feature the entire visible light spectrum of colors, at the bare minimum.

Might as well make the guns act as cool as they look, but investing money in that would probably result in fewer microtransactions, which cannot be allowed.

agree. the sales expectations far succeed any design choices.

In Destiny the new content is even more substantial. New weapons, new maps, new raids, new strikes, new fucking shitloads of content. That is what I'd call real DLC, not the glorified post-launch updates we've been getting to make up for what we didn't get at launch, and to make themselves look better by calling everything free.

I'm in no way defending 343is DLC model, but you can't give Destiny that much credit.  The first DLC packs were cut directly from the full game.  Dataminers were able to find the full content for TDB and HoW buried in the game code at launch.  That isn't exactly what I'd call quality 'DLC' either.  Especially when they charged for it. 

And Taken King cost almost as much as a full game.  Regardless of how good it might be, I shouldn't have had to pay another $40 for a story narrative that should have been present at launch.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I remember when a lot of people were actually suggesting something like REQ packs so we can get free DLC and have crowdfunding for the HCS. Didn't take long to change.

People can argue about the quality of the DLC and argue if that content was suppose to be there at launch, which let's be honest we don't actually know, all they want. It doesn't change the fact that it is DLC and just because it doesn't meet to your standards doesn't make it something else.

• Downvote (-1) 7

This is content expected at launch from every Halo game. 343 choose to cut it thinking everyone would be playing Warzone and feeding them money through Microtransactions. It shows their incompetence as a developer, lack of understanding of Halo, and it seems that the majority of the studio has never even played a Halo game. 

They do not realize the power of forge, at this point with no file-share, no community forge playlists; forge creations are just a small addition to the game. Even if you build an amazing map the audience of people that will actually play it is limited to people who will find it through forgehub and can get together a group of 8 people to try out random forge maps. Very few people. If the game does not allow forgers to share and promote maps Forge is useless. 

They had 3 years to develop Halo 5. After 3 years they launched the game with a total of 3 gametypes. Slayer, CTF and Strongholds. This is not acceptable from a major FPS studio in 2015. They are missing really fundamental aspects of what made Halo great. 

343 isn't even reaching the quality of games that were designed as copies of Halo or suppose to be Halo-Killers that failed: Crysis, Killzone, Haze. 

I have never seen a developer remake their own maps, in the same game. 343 calls them remixes, this is a lazy DLC attempt. Not to mention at least 6 of the launch maps are all based on the same UNSC location and reuse similar assets, now they are remaking those maps. Their plan is to deliver roughly 12 versions of basically the same map. It just doesn't make any sense, there are better developers ready to take over Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

You're comparing one month of free content to a pack which will probably cost about £12.

If I get content I expect at launch and get NEW shit, I'll take it over our current situation.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Am I incorrect in thinking that the reason we're able to have free DLC is that paid REQs are in the game?

Pretty much, gotta pick your poison

DLC or micro transactions

Not to mention they are too incompetent to realize the power of forge, at this point with not file-share, no community forge playlists; forge creations are just a small addition to the game. Even if you build an amazing map 343 has limited the amount of people that will actually play it to people who find it through forgehub and can get together a group of 8 people to try out random forge maps. Very few people. So you can act like Forge is an addition, but to people who have been around they might as well not even have added Forge back in, if they don't understand how to share and promote maps Forge is useless. As always 343 misses the basics that made something great in the first place. 

I don't know where you've been but they've done a fairly good job at advertising community creations and on how to get them through their weekly community updates and livestreams. 

File Browser is coming soon

Pretty much, gotta pick your poison

DLC or micro transactions

I'd rather micro transactions x100 over, but theyve just done it wrong. They needed to do it like Black Ops 3 or at least CSGO, instead of making it replace all the other progression rewards Halo has done so well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

remixes are so fucking derivative and unoriginal it makes me ill thinking about the fact people see them as new.

You may have had a point with Eden, but the other remixes neither play like nor look like their originals.

Riptide in particular is completely different from Fathom. Literally the only thing it has in common is a whale.

I know there's been the debate of 4v4 vs 5v5, but would game play benefit from 5v5 vs 4v4? Just because maps are more open/bigger

I'd rather micro transactions x100 over, but theyve just done it wrong. They needed to do it like Black Ops 3 or at least CSGO, instead of making it replace all the other progression rewards Halo has done so well.

• They should have done something similar to what they did with Achiles. Have every level 3 commendation(not spartan commendation) REQ pack give you a body piece and the level 5 commendation REQ pack give you the helmet that goes to that body piece. This will still leave armor and helmets for normal REQ packs
  • Have all common, uncommon, and rare emblems unlocked from the start with Ultra Rare and Legendary still only obtainable through REQ packs. 
  • Have an entire Mark VI variant plus the visor that goes with it in a REQ pack given to the player for finishing the game on Legendary.
  • Have an entire Locke variant plus the visor that goes with it in a REQ pack given to the player for finished legendary solo
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You may have had a point with Eden, but the other remixes neither play like nor look like their originals.

Riptide in particular is completely different from Fathom. Literally the only thing it has in common is a whale.

People expect that DLC contains content that is worth paying for. Most people would prefer this amount of armors and reqs not be added to the game, it was already ridiculous at launch. Most of the community does not want Remixs added to the game at all, it's actually a major negative when you are loading the same map with small variations. It makes people uncomfortable playing the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People expect that DLC contains content that is worth paying for. Most people would prefer this amount of armors and reqs not be added to the game, it was already ridiculous at launch. Most of the community does not want Remixs added to the game at all, it's actually a major negative when you are loading the same map with small variations. It makes people uncomfortable playing the game.

I would argue there are small similarities instead of variations in most of the maps

• Downvote (-1) 1

It really pisses me off that 343 is pushing the paid aspect of content so much more than the free stuff, I mean we have all these different kinds of req packs, and we get a shit ton of new weapons, armors and emblems each month, but when it comes to maps, we've gotten one new one, the rest have been remakes or forge maps(and I say remakes because remixes essentially remake a map that's already in halo 5s map pool). This latest update is just proof of this, urban is a simply a nighttime version of battle of noctus, but cutting off a section and changing the lighting makes it an entirely new map to 343...riptide is still basically fathom, but it has more ramps and walls, it's fucking disgusting that they put so little effort into giving us quality new dlc, they'd rather just recycle the things we currently have and move on.

Even if you don't have a problem with this, 343 still isn't putting in the maximum amount of effort in, instead of giving us all new maps, with brand new layouts, art styles, perhaps experimentation, strategies, 343 prefers to simply to give us edited maps we already have with new skins on them. Yay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How do I embed a YouTube video anyways? It keeps wanting to just post links.

Trying taking the "s" out of "https". Sometimes that works for me.