CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yep, confirmed. AA's have been removed, and new Gameplay mechanics are being added. Those two ideas are seperate.

Spartan Abilities added in the past: Dual Wielding, Vehicle Boardin, Assassinations, and Sprint in H4

As for your opinion on assassinations, most people will agree that they are a cool addition to the game. Granted, some people want the option to disable them/opt out of them for competitive play, but majority of players enjoy the added animation.

It's just an animation. It's just a slow method to back smack someone. It adds nothing, it's only purpose is to look pretty. A kick mechanic for example could actually add depth to the game, real depth. Kick a create over to a wall, now you can jump up to a ledge, kick a Warthog off a cliff such that it lands on someone etc.

I would like game designers to really get out of this mindset of the visual, visceral experience and get more into the gameplay experience, the competitive experience, depth, variety etc mindset. The type of players typically attracted to multiplayer FPS's only really care about gameplay and how they can outshine other players. The other types of players may play multiplayer occasionally but it wont be their 'jam' so to speak. Either that or they are attracted by something else, like the social aspect maybe.

I think more people don't like assassinations than let on, most people don't complain about the minor annoyances.

My concern is the trailer goes 'All new Spartan abilities' then it shows a spartan thrustepack into the ground, ground pond and create a shock wave that kills all nearby players. If thrusterpacks and ground ponds are default abilities- That's terrible news to me.

Anyone else notice how in the Halo 5 Guardians CGI that he was "Spectating" Chiefs past events?

Spectator mode confirmed???  :kappa:

649d80c958711c273b193ab9f9aabe01.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anyone else notice how in the Halo 5 Guardians CGI that he was "Spectating" Chiefs past events?

lol pretty sure you are  kidding with this but that is not what I took from that scene...more Agent Locke reviewing ONI intel/ debriefing info on MC and his past

Now the scoreboard in the MP teaser screamed "broadcaster/spectator" mode to me

New spartan looks badass. Wasn't there a name that was mentioned for him in the trailer? I watched it at work and had the volume on the low so I couldn't tell.

Spectator mode confirmed??? :kappa:

#Halo5Chaser

New spartan looks badass. Wasn't there a name that was mentioned for him in the trailer? I watched it at work and had the volume on the low so I couldn't tell.

Agent Locke i believe.

C.G.I., you shouldn't take much away from it at all.

this is 2014 not 2007. Games are going to be much closer to the cgi trailers today then they used to be. plus each little clip had a purpose from showing the ground pound, to the slide. it was meant to show what every spartan will be capable of in H5. im open to the possibility im wrong but with Quinn confirming the existence of Spartan abilities the trailer seems more like an unveiling of 343's take on Arena combat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the new "Spartan Abilities" are sliding to cover and fist pumping the ground as we saw in the trailer then fuck my life.

It's just an animation. It's just a slow method to back smack someone. It adds nothing, it's only purpose is to look pretty. A kick mechanic for example could actually add depth to the game, real depth. Kick a create over to a wall, now you can jump up to a ledge, kick a Warthog off a cliff such that it lands on someone etc.

I would like game designers to really get out of this mindset of the visual, visceral experience and get more into the gameplay experience, the competitive experience, depth, variety etc mindset. The type of players typically attracted to multiplayer FPS's only really care about gameplay and how they can outshine other players. The other types of players may play multiplayer occasionally but it wont be their 'jam' so to speak. Either that or they are attracted by something else, like the social aspect maybe.

I think more people don't like assassinations than let on, most people don't complain about the minor annoyances.

My concern is the trailer goes 'All new Spartan abilities' then it shows a spartan thrustepack into the ground, ground pond and create a shock wave that kills all nearby players. If thrusterpacks and ground ponds are default abilities- That's terrible news to me.

You contradict yourself. Spartan abilities are just that, game-play additions. I personally want them to take the Halo formula and make it require more inputs, more actual skill than just positioning, knowledge, and (some) gun skill.

I really do enjoy what they have done. They've given the crowd that loves old school Halo their piece of the pie. Now looking towards Halo 5, they will build on arena shooter fundamentals so that we may have something more quake/unreal tournament-esque with the Halo brand. That sounds amazing. First things first, enhance the movement capabilities while maintaining equal starts. That means adding things the way they are adding them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm speculating that these spartan abilities will work like equipment/power ups. Im speculating that whatever doesn't work with competitive play can be removed via custom game options/forge.

If this is the case we cant have another H3 scenario where you deviate far from the vanilla game. Whatever MLG/competitive settings that are used must be the EXACT SAME across all ranked playlists. Social playlists can have all that sprinting and ground pounds possible.

If the new "Spartan Abilities" are sliding to cover and fist pumping the ground as we saw in the trailer then fuck my life.

Nah, don't sweat it. Remember, we have glorious CE and H2 untouched MP. :) We're so back, I think we're still in shock that we don't know it yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You contradict yourself. Spartan abilities are just that, game-play additions. I personally want them to take the Halo formula and make it require more inputs, more actual skill than just positioning, knowledge, and (some) gun skill.

I really do enjoy what they have done. They've given the crowd that loves old school Halo their piece of the pie. Now looking towards Halo 5, they will build on arena shooter fundamentals so that we may have something more quake/unreal tournament-esque with the Halo brand. That sounds amazing. First things first, enhance the movement capabilities while maintaining equal starts. That means adding things the way they are adding them.

I did not contradict myself. What I said is, I don't like assasinations, I prefer mechanics with more depth. For example I consider explosive physics impulses a good mechanic. It's one rule. Explosions can move things. Simple. But it has a lot of depth. It can be used to flip enemy vehicles, it can be used to grenade jump, it can be used to knock power weapons off ledges, it can be used to move creates around etc. I like bang for my buck. Not inflated complexity.

The fact that Spartan abilities are Gameplay addition is irrelevant. I still want any gameplay additions to be good. 

Cant wait to continue the chief's story! Agent Locke is interesting and glad the Arbiter is back. Halo Nightfall will probably show how Agent Locke comes into the picture for Halo 5. Should have done something like that for Didact and Halo 4.

Until proven otherwise, Spartan Abilities still don't sound good. Would sprint be a spartan ability now?

Sprint wasn't an armor ability in H4, everyone could use it.

:bravo:

Sprint wasn't an armor ability in H4, everyone could use it.

:bravo:

So if everybody has spartan abilities then that still doesn't fix the problem if everyone spawns with jetpacks and such.

Frankie did say there was an easter egg of some sort in there..

So if everybody has spartan abilities then that still doesn't fix the problem if everyone spawns with jetpacks and such.

That is true...and if they go that route...

d3f20333bcd89ffe8278abc181025c16.jpg?ito

*continues playing H1 2v2's*

• Upvote (+1) 1

xJumPeRJumPzZ, on 10 Jun 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:snapback.png

"BTW, the maps are going to be huge."

Ugh, so basically Sprint confirmed in one way or another. :( We'll have to see.

"Huge" in what way though? Snowbound in Halo 3 was huge... not in terms of its actual, playable area but the environment itself was quite expansive.

The new Ascension in H2A looks to be massive, outside of the actual play-space... because I'm sure there's a TON of actual geometry out in the background of that map given the draw distances that can be achieved on the Xbox One.

Not to mention the supposedly "real" map in the Halo 5 Beta trailer didn't look to be THAT big... However again, it's a wide open, outer-space setting so who knows how they're actually going about building that environment? There will of course be big maps in Halo 5, as with any Halo game, but I don't think it necessarily means we won't be getting smaller maps either.

I find developers would rather make something up than go back to the lore to grab a weapon. If they need a new gun to serve a new purpose, they'll make one from scratch.

Looks pretty similar 

612cb19ddab22b615ec646338febb982.png

250px-MA5K.JPG

• Upvote (+1) 2

A scopeless precision weapon. It might have a CE Pistol-type invisible scope, but if that's the case then this just changes the design too much for nothing. So this seems like it's completely scopeless, which I admit is also wierd as fuck. Which means smaller maps. Which means no sprint?

Is a scopeless precision even something that could work? Snipers would have a huge advantage even if there's descope.

agebt locke

I know I shouldn't look too far into this, but I can't get over the fact that the BR didn't have a scope. Not saying it's bad or anything because I don't know. It just intrigues me and I want to know. I am really confident that Halo 5 is going to be amazingly competitive and a breath of fresh air for the series without fucking everything up.

#WeBack  :Halo: