CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I remember when Halo 5 came out, a lot of people snuffed the complaint of lack of content by saying Warzone is this amazing thing that we've never had before and totally makes up for anything that might be missing, like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Did anybody else think from launch that it's essentially a souped out replacement for Invasion? But not even as good. Warzone Assault itself is basically Invasion without the core, and normal Warzone also having AI. Warzone's gameplay is different obviously, with REQs and and an overall score win-condition.

But to me, the experience is very much the same. What Invasion was in Reach was a seperate, more focused and deep alternative to BTB. More importantly, it was part of the trend of adding gametypes and content over the previous Halo's that bungie had. On the other hand I feel like Warzone is replacing all the gametypes and social experiences, like Breakout too.

I get the feeling Halo 5 was horribly managed, leading to huge delays and missing features, and part of that was spending too many resources on their new gametypes. Which is ridiculous, because the only thing functionally new that Warzone brings is in-game AI and REQs, and all Breakout added was a new HUD components. Not to mention both adding stupid 'immersion' intro's. Surely all that didn't get in the was of making actually important gametypes, like Oddball and Infection which have been in Halo for a decade, give or take. Again, horribly managed game development.

TL;DR Warzone is like Invasion, but less fun, and got in the way of other gametypes instead of complimenting them, because the game was managed horribly

I remember looking at all of the game reviews for Halo 5 on day one. Most of the publishers made it as if Warzone was the single saving grace of this game. As if that single gametype made the entire game worth the $60 entirely. They really wrote it out as if there was some sort of deep meta behind the mode, as if there was this complex MOBA-esque gametype that allows for hours of carefree fun, inhibition, and constant engagement for all levels of skill. When really the gametype really just turns into BTB fiesta through burncards, with a Promethean boss here or there. Big Team Battle gets the job done fine, but we all know that the main purpose behind Warzone is to push the REQ system on players (which actually worked).

The only thing I wish that the Halo community has is some damn foresight. Fayvn quite literally is the Nostradamus of the Halo community. Go watch his Warzone impressions literally a month before the game came out he called it out for what it was, and over-glorified BTB strongholds gametype with static AI on map. I don't know what type of fans the Halo community brings out, but most of the fans just can't think critically and look past the new "shiny" stuff. Its only in the middle of January and people are finally up in arms about the lack of content on /r/halo.

Go check this thread out: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/419l2x/after_reading_about_the_january_update_ive/

People are slowly but surely waking up, I just dislike that it takes months for the community to come to terms with a game. Happened with Halo 4 and looks like its happening again with Halo 5, I really wonder if and when we'll see an top rated post on reddit dissing the metagame of Halo 5. I really doubt it but anything can happen at this point, it isn't like there is any damn direction of the community.

I've come to realize that getting first person shooter games day one really is a scam. I'm beginning to feel really dumb, but at least I've learned something. This community is going to the death of the game I swear.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Giving a big shout-out to @@Moa, @@Batchford, @@heytred @@VinFTW, @@RyanW and @ specifically for the fun game night, tonight. Was insanely fun, and you guys are really goddamn funny in the party. Couldn't stop laughing through many of your comments. 

I had a blast - and thank you for all your feedback during my little test stream I did earlier today.  :D

I had a blast - and thank you for all your feedback during my little test stream I did earlier today.  :D

Stream more, when you can. That's quite enjoyable. You'd make a good "commentator" in gameplay, if the party's anything to go by.

Giving a big shout-out to @@Moa, @@Batchford, @@heytred @@VinFTW, @@RyanW and @ specifically for the fun game night, tonight. Was insanely fun, and you guys are really goddamn funny in the party. Couldn't stop laughing through many of your comments. 

:)

Without a doubt, the highlight of the night:

• Upvote (+1) 4

I remember looking at all of the game reviews for Halo 5 on day one. Most of the publishers made it as if Warzone was the single saving grace of this game. As if that single gametype made the entire game worth the $60 entirely. They really wrote it out as if there was some sort of deep meta behind the mode, as if there was this complex MOBA-esque gametype that allows for hours of carefree fun, inhibition, and constant engagement for all levels of skill. When really the gametype really just turns into BTB fiesta through burncards, with a Promethean boss here or there. Big Team Battle gets the job done fine, but we all know that the main purpose behind Warzone is to push the REQ system on players (which actually worked).

The only thing I wish that the Halo community has is some damn foresight. Fayvn quite literally is the Nostradamus of the Halo community. Go watch his Warzone impressions literally a month before the game came out he called it out for what it was, and over-glorified BTB strongholds gametype with static AI on map. I don't know what type of fans the Halo community brings out, but most of the fans just can't think critically and look past the new "shiny" stuff. Its only in the middle of January and people are finally up in arms about the lack of content on /r/halo.

Go check this thread out: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/419l2x/after_reading_about_the_january_update_ive/

People are slowly but surely waking up, I just dislike that it takes months for the community to come to terms with a game. Happened with Halo 4 and looks like its happening again with Halo 5, I really wonder if and when we'll see an top rated post on reddit dissing the metagame of Halo 5. I really doubt it but anything can happen at this point, it isn't like there is any damn direction of the community.

Completely agree. Favyn did a great job of laying out to people what we're actually getting without the lovely PR spin 343 had on release, and you're right, people are slowly comping to grips with it. It's great to see.

I've come to realize that getting first person shooter games day one really is a scam. I'm beginning to feel really dumb, but at least I've learned something. This community is going to the death of the game I swear.

BLOPS 3 has done nearly everything right by me. It does microtransactions right, it does playlists, gametypes and content right. I think it's a wonderful exception to the way AAA shooters are going, and although its story and aesthetics are cheesy as fuck, the game itself is a breath of fresh air when it comes to modern FPS's, and I play it up whenever I can.

@@Moa

You sound like Dean from HaloFollower hahahaha

I guess the rumors of you leaving mod for Follower are true

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 9

M2bZq.gif

:)

Without a doubt, the highlight of the night:

That was a bloody massacre. Holy shit.

My perspective, the synchronized Railguns brought the hype:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Checked out waypoint earlier and even they're starting to realize how bad this game is. As far as most people waking up, I think that happened just a couple of weeks after the game came out as people were quick to move on to other games. This game hasn't even been in the top 5 most played since around then and now hovers between the 10-12 spots. This just further illustrates that people don't want gimmicky ass broken Halo games. People just want real Halo back. The question is: Will we ever get real Halo back or will 343 nose dive this franchise until Microsoft pulls the plug on it? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Checked out waypoint earlier and even they're starting to realize how bad this game is. As far as most people waking up, I think that happened just a couple of weeks after the game came out as people were quick to move on to other games. This game hasn't even been in the top 5 most played since around then and now hovers between the 10-12 spots. This just further illustrates that people don't want gimmicky ass broken Halo games. People just want real Halo back. The question is: Will we ever get real Halo back or will 343 nose dive this franchise until Microsoft pulls the plug on it?

this is projection, we all on this forum want halo back, and current halo is not doing well in really any stretch of the imagination, but that doesn't NECESSARILY mean classic halo would do better, we hmestly can't say that for certain, although it's not impossible.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Only played mcc the past week, come back to halo 5 for a game and can't Aim again lol!

Well least I can aim in good halo games :)

Srs how do you fuck up aiming? Ugh..

• Upvote (+1) 5

Only played mcc the past week, come back to halo 5 for a game and can't Aim again lol!

Well least I can aim in good halo games :)

Srs how do you fuck up aiming? Ugh..

I play on 4sens in halo 1-3. 7 sens 4 acceleration seems the best to me although it's still not the same.

"Unified settings are better"

I would rather a decent but rough around the edges game that can easily be tweaked and improved instead of just removing things. I hope to see an AR change, as in make it not based on high damage and maybe harder to use, along with other changes to autos. 343 have said they are not scared of sandbox changes.

I like how there are unified settings for matchmaking and comp. We might finally get no radar in matchmaking as the main rule for ranked, while keeping radar in social playlists.

/2cents

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would rather a decent but rough around the edges game that can easily be tweaked and improved instead of just removing things. I hope to see an AR change, as in make it not based on high damage and maybe harder to use, along with other changes to autos. 343 have said they are not scared of sandbox changes.

I like how there are unified settings for matchmaking and comp. We might finally get no radar in matchmaking as the main rule for ranked, while keeping radar in social playlists.

/2cents

As I've stated before unified settings will only work properly if the settings are based around competitive play FIRST. That's basically what you are saying so I do get that. I would rather have them tweak the universal settings to make them better instead of just splitting the 2, but I honestly feel like 343 isn't gonna rebalance the weapons.

As I've stated before unified settings will only work properly if the settings are based around competitive play FIRST. That's basically what you are saying so I do get that. I would rather have them tweak the universal settings to make them better instead of just splitting the 2, but I honestly feel like 343 isn't gonna rebalance the weapons.

They rebalanced H4 of all games, so if they have an "eSport" game then you can for sure see the weapon sandbox being rebalanced potentially several times during the lifecycle of H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not being able to see who's in a party of a player is the biggest fucking pain in the ass

Took Xbox this long to get this feature in, can you imagine how long it'll take for Halo?

They rebalanced H4 of all games, so if they have an "eSport" game then you can for sure see the weapon sandbox being rebalanced potentially several times during the lifecycle of H5.

I really hope so. I know they have that whole on the fly tuning system let's see em use it.