CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It's still a very poorly written story. Before I rant, how did this topic even come up?

i think it had something to do with the fact that halo 5 has a pretty terrible story, a comparison was made.

i think it had something to do with the fact that halo 5 has a pretty terrible story, a comparison was made.

I feel like Halo 5 has pretty sub-par Campaign in general, but that's just me.

I see.

I think it could've been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better but I still enjoyed it for what it turned out to be. The Arbiter's return alone was pretty damn amazing.

I said that in kampys stream and got into a big arguement with this guy from 343 Heytred, he told me Halo is better than 3 and alot of other stuff I think is personally absurd

@@heytred

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see.

I think it could've been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better but I still enjoyed it for what it turned out to be. The Arbiter's return alone was pretty damn amazing.

Nah fam i cant see how someone would enjoy halo 5's story, so rushed and i felt like nothing happened.

And i guess the forerunnees didn't actually return because now its just cortana and her goons as the enemy for halo 6

aside from the story there wasnt anything new to it gameplay wise, if anything it took away in some areas, and was incredibly short, despite surprise surprise, 343 saying the opposite.

I said that in kampys stream and got into a big arguement with this guy from 343 Heytred, he told me Halo is better than 3 and alot of other stuff I think is personally absurd

Argument? I wouldn't call it that - at least not from my perspective. I said I think a lot people look back on games like Halo 3 with rose tinted glasses and gloss over a lot of problems we dealt with while playing those games. Like I said, of course you're entitled to your opinion. :)

I do however disagree with the point you made about Reach being better than Halo 5. I had a really good time with post bloom Reach, but I personally prefer Halo 5 as a whole. I'm obviously super biased though :kappa: . 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's still a very poorly written story. Before I rant, how did this topic even come up?

Halo 5's story was not only bad, but fucking weird as shit. Once again, I didn't feel like I was playing Halo. Felt like I was playing some weird dead space, Halo, CoD, bioshock hybrid. 

(Also the game loses points since 343 just needed to fall victim to the feminazi bitching and make cortana look stupid after her busty sexy look in H4. She literally was hard to look at and connect to in H5. That's saying something since she was more believable in Hce and H2 over 5.)

Argument? I wouldn't call it that - at least not from my perspective. I said I think a lot people look back on games like Halo 3 with rose tinted glasses and gloss over a lot of problems we dealt with while playing those games. Like I said, of course you're entitled to your opinion. :)

I wouldn't say that, I just think that Halo 3's positives outweighed the negatives. That game gave me a natural addiction to keep playing; couldn't explain it. That said I don't think we should ever go back to a world where bullets go to the next universe for random reasons
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I wouldn't say that, I just think that Halo 3's positives outweighed the negatives. That game gave me a natural addiction to keep playing; couldn't explain it. That said I don't think we should ever go back to a world where bullets go to the next universe for random reasons

See, the question I never see asked or answered is: Was it purely the game that made us feel that way or a combination of that, the platform (being a new and innovative social/gaming medium), and timing? 

I think Halo 2 and Halo 3 were my favorite Halo games because I was a freshman in high school when Halo 2 released. I was in college during the height of Halo 3. I was able to play a ton, travel to MLG events, and really commit to playing the game and making friends. It's hard for me to look back and objectively say this game was the best or that game was the best because I'm clearly influenced by so many other factors external to the gameplay itself. 

Still, I'll leave the discussion up to you fine fellows. You all are probably much more qualified to comment on it anyways. I'll sink back into the shadows now - just had to stop by and defend my honor.  :ghost:

• Upvote (+1) 4

See, the question I never see asked or answered is: Was it purely the game that made us feel that way or a combination of the platform (being a new and innovative social/gaming medium) and timing?

I think Halo 2 and Halo 3 were my favorite Halo games because I was a freshman in high school when Halo 2 released. I was in college during the height of Halo 3. I was able to play a ton, travel to MLG events, and really commit to playing the game and making friends. It's hard for me to look back and objectively say this game was the best or that game was the best because I'm clearly influenced by so many other factors external to the gameplay itself.

Still, I'll leave the discussion up to you fine fellows. You all are probably much more qualified to comment on it anyways. I'll sink back into the shadows now - just had to stop by and defend my honor. :ghost:

Heres my thing: Halo 3, objectively, offers something for everyone, casual, competitive, forger, machinima maker, screenshot artist, etc. You can argue the quality of that competitive experience but the fact is that game has something for everyone.

So when I look back on it, i'm looking back on everything I did and was able to do, because that isn't subjective. I could do so much in that game. And of course some is nostalgia; I made a lot of friends on that game and had a blast. But I think Halo 3 deserves more credit than being remembered simply for nostalgia.

• Upvote (+1) 9

See, the question I never see asked or answered is: Was it purely the game that made us feel that way or a combination of the platform (being a new and innovative social/gaming medium) and timing? 

Yes. Yes it was the game. How is this a question? I'm still playing H3 because it's the better Halo game. Idc if the HCS is going on, and I enjoy watching it and supporting the players, but H3 and Reach MLG v7 are way more enjoyable as Halo games than Vanilla Reach, 4, and 5. Here's my question. Why is the Halo franchise the only one trying to reinvent the wheel here? It has not worked 3 games in a row. It hasn't. Sorry. The numbers say otherwise and I think from what I have gathered is nobody working at 343 cares to work on Halo. To them it's just a job, but they don't want to be restricted to making Halo. Therefore they find ways to spin the franchise so that they can sprinkle their creativity in the game just enough to where they can say " Herrrrrr heyyyyy it's still deee Haloz gerrrppppp."

Sorry but everybody at 343, keep your ideas and creativity out of my Halo. If you want to be creative and use your imaginative and "unique vision" because your ideas are soooo awesome and different, leave 343. This isn't me being mean either, this is me begging for people who don't care to jump ship and have people work on the game who want to properly take care of my baby.  

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Nah fam i cant see how someone would enjoy halo 5's story, so rushed and i felt like nothing happened.

And i guess the forerunnees didn't actually return because now its just cortana and her goons as the enemy for halo 6

Really hoping Didactimus Prime comes back as a Super Guardian, sees Cortana, goes "hell naw" and creates a Forerunner/Promethean civil war since he believes the Forerunners should have the Mantle, not A.I. 

Really hoping Didactimus Prime comes back as a Super Guardian, sees Cortana, goes "hell naw" and creates a Forerunner/Promethean civil war since he believes the Forerunners should have the Mantle, not A.I.

I guess we all just forgot about the Precursors too

sigh, I'm so sick of 343 creating or setting up story opportunities and either not acting on them or just blowing them up

• Upvote (+1) 1

I guess we all just forgot about the Precursors too

sigh, I'm so sick of 343 creating or setting up story opportunities and either not acting on them or just blowing them up

What about Spartan Ops Season 2? :kappa:

See, the question I never see asked or answered is: Was it purely the game that made us feel that way or a combination of that, the platform (being a new and innovative social/gaming medium), and timing?

Still, I'll leave the discussion up to you fine fellows. You all are probably much more qualified to comment on it anyways. I'll sink back into the shadows now - just had to stop by and defend my honor. :ghost:

I really like Halo 3, I consider it to probably be my favorite game, but that's because of the fond memories I have associated with it. First game I bought with my 360 when I was in 7th grade. Coming home from school, playing all the different fun slayer and infection mini game variants, setting up a clan with IRL friends, then going to school just to talk with my friends about what we did. Repeat. It's the same reason why I love Modern Warfare 2. It's basically nostalgia and memories. It was my first online experience and I loved it.

Most of those guys don't play consoles or just don't play video games anymore so playing Halo 3 isn't the same and I don't find it fun anymore

• Upvote (+1) 2

Still, I'll leave the discussion up to you fine fellows. You all are probably much more qualified to comment on it anyways. I'll sink back into the shadows now - just had to stop by and defend my honor.  :ghost:

The year is 2007. I am eight years old. My Playstation 2 is currently running such goldies as Kingdom Hearts II, Lego: Star Wars and Star Wars Battlefront. (OG)

The possibility of obtaining a shiny new console is sufficiently out of my reach - the maturity required to do anything useful with it, doubly so. So I game. Alone. On a TV the size (and roughly, the shape) of a microwave. While you guys were building what would later be your nostalgia palace, I was completely oblivious to the world passing me by.

Fast forward to 2013. I am fourteen. The Playstation 2 has a charming new friend in the Wii next door, a financial move by my parents that really seemed good at the time. The TV has also evolved into a, now obsolete, 16" flat-screen. Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy and the old Ace Combat games populate my collection - not a single one of which is younger than five years old at this point.

It is in this moment that the epiphany strikes me. My social life, a sundered husk of an experience, is repeatedly accented by infernal discussions about the best multiplayer games out there. Nearly everybody I know has a 360 and uses it incessantly. I cave. The money drains from my account and an Xbox 360 arrives at my door bundled with a very specific game from a very specific franchise.

This game is Halo...

If I am nostalgic for anything, it is the ponderous opening music drifting out of the freakishly blue menu, the ADHD addled Prometheans teleporting away from a location and then running back to the exact spot they teleported from, or getting a panic attack any time I was matched with a player of a higher rank because I was imagining the deadly apparitions I hadn't progressed far enough to unlock that laid, ready to kill, in his "Select Loadout" menu.

My first exposure to Halo were fucking lens flares in my face, the feeling of bitter, hopeless resentment as the Damage Boosted AR with Dexterity Jet Packs from behind the giant beam of gold light on Solace, or a Beam Rifle peeling apart my face before I can even blink (or drop out of Sprint) as I make the mandatory 97th turn around Haven looking for something to do, or the asshole with the Scattershot Sprinting towards me in the dark, rapey hallways of Adrift.

And then I played Halo 3 at a friend's house, and I was all like, "Shit that was fun. What the hell have I been doing with my money?"

Hope that gave you a rough idea of where I'm coming from in this discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think this is why 343 don't post here anymore...

That just shows their level of competence and being able to take realistic criticism. You can't expect rainbows and flowers all the time. Trying to filter the voices of those who are getting annoyed at this point is a huge problem with our society in general. I guess 343 has their safe zones ready to go. Sorry but if I have a employee who is doing a garbage job, I confront him bluntly and be assertive. Not pussy foot and worry about tiggering their little feels. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

That just shows their level of competence and being able to take realistic criticism. You can't expect rainbows and flowers all the time. Trying to filter the voices of those who are getting annoyed at this point is a huge problem with our society in general. I guess 343 has their safe zones ready to go.

>safe zones

They're called safe spaces you triggering shitlord

• Upvote (+1) 6

That just shows their level of competence and being able to take realistic criticism. You can't expect rainbows and flowers all the time. Trying to filter the voices of those who are getting annoyed at this point is a huge problem with our society in general. I guess 343 has their safe zones ready to go.

Because you're spouting you subjective experience as gospel, as well as undermining 343's competence and vision without having any clue as to how those things work behind closed doors.

I have a strong opinion about their work and actions as a company but i never undermine their efforts or make it personal. Don't be such an asshat.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because you're spouting you subjective experience as gospel, as well as undermining 343's competence and vision without having any clue as to how those things work behind closed doors.

I have a strong opinion about their work and actions as a company but i never undermine their efforts or make it personal. Don't be such an asshat.

Just because I don't constantly put "IN MY OPINION" does not mean I am preaching the gospel. It's my opinion if it's coming out of my mouth. How utterly annoying and redundant it would be if I constantly just went, " WELL IMO " "BUT IMO" "IMO" "IMO" Etc etc etc

• Upvote (+1) 3