CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I was really thinking, and hoping the Didact would return in an AI form like that. There was so much leadup to it, and it could've been so good. And indeed, it makes no real "sense" in the context we had.

Leadup like this:

Halo's story is the only reason I keep buying Halo games these days, and now even that is going to shit. I seriously hate where they took the story with Halo 5. Cortana was DONE in H4. Finished. Whoever retconned the story last minute.. terrible choice.

Sure, now there's some parallels between rampant Cortana and Mendicant Bias, but they had to completely destroy her character in order to accomplish that.

4SK pistol and smaller cleaner/simpler maps (which we can get from forge it seems) would make this game so much better.  

Also, sprint sucks  :prayers:

It's entirely possible with the current toolset, but nobody wants to play it because that's not how matchmaking or tournaments will be run.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Chief and Cortana may die together in Halo 6, then they can start milking Locke!!!! RIP...

i definitely see this happening, moat of the characters in 343s halo games are new ones arent they? its only a matter of time before halo becomes totally unrecognizable in every single aspect.

it just pisses me off to no end that instead of making their own ip, they change a preexisting one to fit their vision, effectively saying fuck you to the fans who built this series.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i definitely see this happening, moat of the characters in 343s halo games are new ones arent they? its only a matter of time before halo becomes totally unrecognizable in every single aspect.

it just pisses me off to no end that instead of making their own ip, they change a preexisting one to fit their vision, effectively saying fuck you to the fans who built this series.

You'd think with Frankie in management, he'd be the one to keep the team in check, but then he ends up being the biggest apologiser for every stupid decision they make. Seriously, something's gotta change at that studio.

Not sure if this would interest anyone here but a friend of mine is trying to go through jump maps and finish them as fast as possible. This one is Jumpuzz and it utilizes a lot of the advanced movement techniques compared to other jump maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bxceq1z-1U

edited it out for a 720p/60fps version.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Samus is not the center of the Metroid Universe." -Yoshio Sakamoto, producer of Other M

See how ridiculous this sounds?

Is this in regards to Master Chief? I'm still pissed about his mission ratio.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Is this in regards to Master Chief? I'm still pissed about his mission ratio.

Someone at 343 said that Master Chief isn't necessarily the centerpiece of Halo. 

I respectfully disagree. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

You'd think with Frankie in management, he'd be the one to keep the team in check, but then he ends up being the biggest apologiser for every stupid decision they make. Seriously, something's gotta change at that studio.

maybe if he occupied a position besides community manager over at bungie. 

Someone at 343 said that Master Chief isn't necessarily the centerpiece of Halo. 

I respectfully disagree. 

After Johnson, ODST, and Reach, I'll have to disagree with you.

I like the Chief as much as anyone else, but he certainly isn't the reason why I like Halo or its campaign.

I like the Chief as much as anyone else, but he certainly isn't the reason why I like Halo or its campaign.

I didn't say "Master Chief is literally all Halo has going on," oh interpreter of things as ye wishes. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I would certainly agree Chief is not the only story to be told in the universe, but when you have a main Halo game come out, you damn well sure make him the equal focus compared to someone like Locke if not the majority of focus in the campaign. We play the mainline games to see where the Chief goes next and who he interacts with in the perspective of standing in his damn boots, not through the eyes of some nobody.

If the Didact became an AI that would totally retcon the Halo 4 terminal stating that composing "would not work on his new form."

Then again, what isn't getting retconned these days *sigh*

If the Didact became an AI that would totally retcon the Halo 4 terminal stating that composing "would not work on his new form."

Then again, what isn't getting retconned these days *sigh*

What if that WASN'T EVEN HIS FINAL FORM, and his NEXT form allows him to be composed. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I respect your opinion, but I don't share it (as is often the case where taste and preference are concerned in human interaction).

I found Halo 5's level design entirely unimpressive: its 'large, open arenas' could not compete with the size, scope and play options arising from Halo 3's levels. Many levels also centered on underwhelming set pieces; take 'Enemy Lines' for example, the Kraken was little more than moving level geometry, a platform that stopped moving when it was time for the player to interact with it, and an encounter with one process: fly on to the Kraken, defeat the enemies aboard, blow up the core and depart. The Scarab encounters in Halo 3 were far more dynamic, threatening and far more replay-able largely due to the number of ways such an engagement could be approached. Halo 5's vehicle sections also felt hamstrung by the level design, namely the geometry placed to funnel the player down certain paths, an experience that, when compared to Halo 3's vehicle-centric levels appears relatively claustrophobic. On-foot combat may have fared better as you identified, but I was always conscious of the fact that I was generally allowed two paths: the main path, and the elbow I could Spartan Charge into, and the weak enemy AI (in comparison to Halo CE and Reach) and Promethean enemy design (Knights and Watchers were fine; Soldiers and Crawlers need work) left much to be desired.

The difference between H5 and H3's level design was that the large scale levels in H3 were almost entirely vehicle levels, they were large scale but fairly sparse. The majority of on foot combat took place as small scale firefights in fairly straight forward play spaces. H5 is almost the exact opposite, the vehicle levels are quite claustrophobic and lacking in options (a lot of the vehicle areas can actually be tackled on foot which I consider a positive). However, in contrast to H3, the on foot combat takes part in large and very content dense arenas. There were very, very few areas where it was just a straight forward hallway with some enemies in it, even the most linear sections of the campaign almost always had a ledge to clamber onto or an alternate path giving you a more advantageous position. The verticality of the levels is something we've never really seen before in Halo, in previous games the combat took place in fairly flat areas whereas in H5 the levels were almost as high as they were wide. The way the play spaces were designed combined with the Spartan abilities lets the player be very creative with their gameplay and allows for much faster paced and action packed combat than in previous games. The section on Sanghelios culminating in Sunion is (IMO) the best designed string of levels in the Halo series.

H5 does lack the large scale and interactive set pieces found in games such as H3 but as I've said before I think the quality of the on foot combat outweighs their departure. Hopefully with H6 they can combine the two.

There's a lot more I could say about H5's gameplay and why I think it's easily the best in the series but this post has already dragged on a lot and I've yet to mention the story...

As for Halo 5' story, I've described many of my issues with it here:

I don't think the story Halo 5 sets up begins to make its own story good. This type of AI fiction is such a well-worn (and then some) area of science fiction, that it feels, as Haruspis put it, like 343i were 'scraping the bottom of the barrel,' and left me as far from excited about Halo 6: Subtitle's story as possible.An exploration of the effect of the loss of Cortana on the Chief's psyche would have been far more interesting, in this user's opinion, yet Halo 5 hardly explores this outside of the opening cutscene to Blue Team. The Didact would also have made a far better villain, had 343i matched the work Greg Bear did developing the character, within Halo 4 (and afforded him the requisite 'screen time,' as the Didact spent much of Halo 4 in his Cryptum which is not conducive to good character development), and then continued this in Halo 5.

Unfortunately, the mutations the Ur-Didact underwent when searching for a way to combat the Flood, as detailed in Halo 4's Terminals, meant that he is not 'compose-able.'

I agree with almost every point you made in that post, there are so many ways (too many to cover in a single post) I would change the story to improve it. That said I would keep the outcome the same. The AI turns evil trope has been used many times over the years but I don't think it's ever been done in quite such a way, a character which has been integral to the story for so long and is widely loved suddenly turns against the player. If 343 can handle it well I think Cortana could be a very compelling antagonist. I also think this is the time to study her effect on Chief's psyche, taking his only connection to his humanity, killing her then bringing her back only for her to turn on him is going to take a serious toll. H6 is going to involve the Chief actively trying to stop and presumably destroy her, how he handles this is something I think could be very interesting. The other aspect which I think makes H5 such a good setup for 6 is that humanity is again on the back foot; They're on the run and there's no obvious way to fight back. I think Halo is always best when things are looking bleak, it's the reason I enjoyed Reach's story so much.

I respectfully disagree. 

Whilst I agree the mission ratio sucked I'd say Cortana is far bigger centerpiece than the Chief ever was, especially after 5.