CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I still can't believe H5's plot is for real. When the leaks happened I thought it was a terrible troll, and then it was in the actual game, wow. It's like they turned tumblr fanfiction into official lore.

Where are these goddamn leaks everybody saw but me? Literally all of Halo went silent for a week or so before the game released out of naive, paranoid fear of having something spoiled for them. I went out of my way to search for them and couldn't find anything.

There was a campaign spoiler thread on here some time ago that had rumors and supposed leaks in it.

reach wasnt perfect, but it wasnt bad as a stand alone narrative.

It kinda was. There was no development past a basic character outline for most, if not all of Noble (Past Jorge), nor did it feel like "Reach", especially with how people acted to the whole invasion aspect. Felt sooooooo weak. It was so much missed potential it's not even funny.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It kinda was. There was no development past a basic character outline for most, if not all of Noble (Past Jorge), nor did it feel like "Reach", especially with how people acted to the whole invasion aspect. Felt sooooooo weak. It was so much missed potential it's not even funny.

what do you mean by it didnt feel like reach, I felt that bungie injected a good amount of gravity into the situation with visual shots, music, etc. I mean it's not fall of reach but it's not a bad story in its own right IMO.

Just ordered my PC parts, should all be arriving next Thursday. I cannot wait for the 60FPS streams to be a reality. 

Also, The Order is terrible. I don't care how pretty it is, the gameplay "or what little there is of it" is trash.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Its essentially a COD campaign.

Lol wat?

Come on now this sort of comment is just straight up ridiculous.

Idk if this will work but look at these pics. Notice how flat all of h5's textures are? Notice all the jaggies everywhere?

halo-5-guardians-revive-6f8a940a82824864

Funny thing is that the whilst H5 definitely doesn't have the best IQ, the picture you linked is incredibly clean, especially in comparison to that Bloodborne image. I'm genuinely curious where you think the jaggies are in that image...

I do think it's funny you're trying to put H5's visuals down by comparing it to 30fps games running on a more powerful machine as well. 

-Dated visuals

-Tons of characters thrown at you with absolutely no character development

-Pylon AI

-Nonsense story

What game am I talking about? H5 or a random COD campaign. You tell me.

1. Halo 5 does not have dated visuals. For a 60fps game running on the X1 it is a pretty damn good looking game (as is CoD actually, they're typically fairly good in the visuals department)

2. Fair enough.

3. Not even remotely true. 5's AI may not be the best in the series but it's still fairly good. It effectively uses its surroundings and is pretty good at flanking you.

4. I've said this before but as a standalone story I agree, H5 is pretty meh, as setup for H6 though it's very good.

Even if all these were true that hardly makes it even remotely similar to a CoD campaign. Seriously saying "it's just CoD" is quite possibly the laziest criticism you can throw at Halo...

I think H5 is the best playing Halo campaign we've ever had.

It has large open arenas filled with multiple routes, flanking opportunities and hidden areas allowing for a number of different approaches and tactics for each encounter. It's extremely high paced and absolutely jam packed with action. This is the first Halo where the game actually gives you a sense of being a badass Spartan. You're fast, agile and able to absolutely destroy your enemies. Where it lacks in the larger vehicle set pieces I think it more than makes up for it in the absolutely sublime on foot combat.

I still can't believe H5's plot is for real. When the leaks happened I thought it was a terrible troll, and then it was in the actual game, wow. It's like they turned tumblr fanfiction into official lore.

I actually like that Cortana is the main villain now. We finally have someone formidable/omnipotent again, something that we have been lacking since the Flood was around. 

The EU has done a great job of showing how evil humanity can be right now, but the games absolutely fail at conveying any of this. ONI being hyped up so much in HTT and other marketing stuff really had me thinking that we would finally tackle the elephant in the room that is the ONI. Sadly, the only aspect of ONI in the campaign is that Locke was an ONI agent before he became a S-IV.

Just ordered my PC parts, should all be arriving next Thursday. I cannot wait for the 60FPS streams to be a reality.

Also, The Order is terrible. I don't care how pretty it is, the gameplay "or what little there is of it" is trash.

Well that is obviously a matter of opinion. It seemed like pretty standard third person shooter cover gameplay to me but thats just my opinion.

i'm at least a year out before i'd be good enough for professional work but maybe. 

I will be needing some sweaty kids when i play it. i want to make sure there are no spawning issues. 

Add my gamertag (Jawshe) and send me a message when you need a playtester. I'd be happy to help you get this thing balanced. Looks incredible so far. I would help with 1v1s, 2v2s, 4v4, or FFA testing. Anything really.

Hit me up.

I actually like that Cortana is the main villain now. We finally have someone formidable/omnipotent again, something that we have been lacking since the Flood was around. 

I mean, the comics pretty much all but confirmed that the Didact was turned into an AI when he got caught up in the explosion of five Composers. If you kept the Didact, and went ahead with what the comics were laying out for him, we'd get an omnipotent villain WITH a motivation that actually makes sense.

Uh, welcome to Halo games...?

how many characters go through actual development in the halo series? 2 or 3, the best we have are just personalities, something reach did fine if you ask me.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

what do you mean by it didnt feel like reach?

The story of Reach had been a long established as a giant orgy of murder, bloodshed, war and glass for 10 years before the game ever released. The book and the game portray the events very differently.

As for the characters, allow me to say that Noble team marching single file into the meat grinder with little more than a pause and a scowl half way through is not conducive to an incredibly dramatic game - or even one with characters who have another purpose besides dying.

And "grizzled war hero." I've just described one of three characters. Guess which.

As did the Sentinels and Enforcers of yore. No zippy lights for them, though.Can't say a ton about Halo 5, but virtually anything could have killed Cortana the way she died in Halo 4. Hell, an automated, unstoppable, impersonal Forerunner dreadnought advancing on the Earth might have made more sense within the game's universe and saved us from the Didact's monologuing - no artstyle change required, assuming our stipulations upon it. If I were the Didact, my first response would be to run and rebuild. Imagine that game. Does Chief risk undoing the work of the past 3 games, leaving an entity who knows the rings better than anyone else to rebuild an alien empire (which the human race has historically not been on good terms with) despite posing no actual clear and present danger and his orders possibly not even being morally justified?

That's a story of reclamation incarnate. Bungie's aesthetic would only enforce the Didact's motivation.

And I don't think they look good. I suppose we're at an impasse.

I'm honestly worried that 343 will never allow the Forerunner and Human design return to its former glory. Like the city in warzone doesn't even come close to trumping ODST's New Mombasa.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The story of Reach had been a long established as a giant orgy of murder, bloodshed, war and glass for 10 years before the game ever released. The book and the game portray the events very differently.

The actual Fall of Reach is only like a few hours long in-universe (in the old canon), and it only takes up like the last tenth of the book. Not even, actually, since there's also plenty of pages devoted to Blue Team's mission to wipe the NAV data of the Circumference. Even in First Strike, the only real "horrifying" thing that happens is how a bunch of Marines got killed by an air strike that happened before Fred and the gang ever made it to the generator. And the only reason that happened was because the person in charge was an idiot, apparently, and didn't bother calling in for the air strike to be further out.

Halo: Reach makes the invasion far more brutal than the books ever did, considering one of Exodus' earliest sections includes you seeing half a dozen civilians being torn apart by Brutes. The fact that you CAN actually save them all (at least, in the first section) makes it feel you all the worse when you fail to protect any of the civilians.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The EU has done a great job of showing how evil humanity can be right now, but the games absolutely fail at conveying any of this. ONI being hyped up so much in HTT and other marketing stuff really had me thinking that we would finally tackle the elephant in the room that is the ONI. Sadly, the only aspect of ONI in the campaign is that Locke was an ONI agent before he became a S-IV.

Yeah having Cortana as the villain actually makes me care about the story again.

Was getting really bored of the whole Forerunner thing. Theres just no backstory to them in previous Halos (to the Prometheans specifically) so I didn't really givea shit when H4 and H5 used them as the protagonist. Everyone I talked to was either:

1. Who are these orange robot guys and why am I fighting them?

2. Oh they're Forerunners? These don't look like forerunners. 

Mini rant: I hated how Forerunners went from this mysterious, ancient, colossal technology/legend to cheesy anime style robots with human flaming skulls as faces. Their tech went from ancient looking (almost some sort of mysterious ruins that were almost magical in their functions) to all this shiny, edgy blade looking (Asian looking) tech. Like seriously, that made me question 343 before any of the following events after H4 launched. 

Anyways, point is that Cortana has some emotional investment and I think she will be a much better/interesting protagonist.

• Upvote (+1) 5

As for the characters, allow me to say that Noble team marching single file into the meat grinder with little more than a pause and a scowl half way through is not conducive to an incredibly dramatic game - or even one with characters who have another purpose besides dying.

And "grizzled war hero." I've just described one of three characters. Guess which.

well the game shows some admittedly fuck up shit in its own right, brutes are shown killing civilians, transports filled with non combatants are blown out of the sky etc.

This is something I didn't initially give odst enough credit for, there are literally dead people everywhere in that game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm honestly worried that 343 will never allow the Forerunner and Human design return to its former glory. Like the city in warzone doesn't even come close to trumping ODST's New Mombasa.

I'm praying that whatever design philosophy went into the Force Awakens can sink it's way into the next developer who picks up this franchise because they liked it as a kid before Microsoft milked it beyond tolerance or imagination and promptly discarded it after it stopped making as much money as they'd hoped.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone who honestly prefers Reach's story over Halo CE/2/3's is nothing more than a hipster trying to root for some obscure opinion.

ODST was actually good, but I still assign a partial hipster label to them. I know I know, unpopular opinion.

Negs inc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ODST was actually good, but I still assign a partial hipster label to them. I know I know, unpopular opinion.

Negs inc.

ODST's story does not excuse how little of that game there actually is.

Anyone who honestly prefers Reach's story over Halo CE/2/3's is nothing more than a hipster trying to root for some obscure opinion.

Negs inc.

not saying they're better but that they're par for the course.

Negs inc.

Damn people, having opinions!

I'm going to sound like a cynical asshat here, but holy shit is Arena Breakout a horrible gametype. Regular Breakout at least "works" with an SMG and Magnum, because the Magnum can easily contest and kick the SMG's ass, and losing a teammate isn't "horrible" since you can still take on other users, due to the game's increased pace. Arena Breakout is just bad since the AR is still "OP" in relation to the sandbox, and losing one teammate is a drastic advantage for the other team, since the teamshot is real with the longer killtimes. It's frustrating.

what do you mean it didnt feel like reach?

Reach in the book, was a massive, but short battle, one where you felt a sense of urgency for people to make a move in the book, or else they'd lose nearly everything. The UNSC was almost never the "top dog" and were basically being whittled down in the fight, since the Covenant quickly replaced those who fell, or quickly slaughtered those to make the odds stack even more against the UNSC. In the game, the UNSC are somehow able to hold the Covies back for 2 months, delaying massive armies with their own armies, and come off as an "even force" rather than one that's delaying an inevitable dark reality in which Reach remains as the last "guardian" to Earth. 

It felt like just another battle in Halo, not one that could end with Humanity's utter defeat and demise as a whole.