CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I get the argument but I keep my Pistol equipped through the entirety of Warzone matches. Usually lean on it more frequently in Arena as well. Something about the feel for it works for me better.

Hmm that's interesting. I usually keep my pistol because it's more enjoyable to use but when I want to play to win I will swap it as much as I can.

I tend to only use my pistol in Warzone because I use it to warm up for Arena. I'm pretty much always in the top 2 or 3 for kills.

Say what?

Literally the only thing which isn't great about H5's campaign is the story.

The gameplay is superb, the level design is some of the best in the series, the graphics are great, and the art style and presentation in general is top notch. Oh and the music is amazing.

It's not about how good you do with it it's about the fact that you would be doing a lot better if you swapped it for a BR. If 2 equally skilled players dueled pistol v BR the BR guy would win a pretty big chunk of his engagements. Losing to a guy you have been crapping on solely based on his weapon is the most frustrating thing about the game for me.

Well they are still very instrumental in the plot.

Yes Cortana is clearly the main focus of the story however in H4 the Didact and the Prometheans undeniably still play a major role regardless of how many hypotheticals you throw about. The Didact is alive and the Prometheans make up a large portion of the combat.

As did the Sentinels and Enforcers of yore. No zippy lights for them, though.

The plot of both H4 and H5 would be completely unrecognizable without the Forerunners. That's easily enough to warrant not using the same dead and derelict style of Bungie's.

Can't say a ton about Halo 5, but virtually anything could have killed Cortana the way she died in Halo 4. Hell, an automated, unstoppable, impersonal Forerunner dreadnought advancing on the Earth might have made more sense within the game's universe and saved us from the Didact's monologuing - no artstyle change required, assuming our stipulations upon it. If I were the Didact, my first response would be to run and rebuild. Imagine that game. Does Chief risk undoing the work of the past 3 games, leaving an entity who knows the rings better than anyone else to rebuild an alien empire (which the human race has historically not been on good terms with) despite posing no actual clear and present danger and his orders possibly not even being morally justified?

That's a story of reclamation incarnate. Bungie's aesthetic would only enforce the Didact's motivation.

I don't think the Guardians would look good in dull concrete grey.

And I don't think they look good. I suppose we're at an impasse.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I get the argument but I keep my Pistol equipped through the entirety of Warzone matches. Usually lean on it more frequently in Arena as well. Something about the feel for it works for me better.

Know this feel, all too well. I've actually been shying away from the BR now, and have been keeping the Magnum as a primary, with another weapon being secondary. Feels good and solid to use and I can easily contest other users with it, in game.

I tend to only use my pistol in Warzone because I use it to warm up for Arena. I'm pretty much always in the top 2 or 3 for kills.

Say what?

Literally the only thing which isn't great about H5's campaign is the story.

The gameplay is superb, the level design is some of the best in the series, the graphics are great, and the art style and presentation in general is top notch. Oh and the music is amazing.

The visuals are meh by today's standards. The textures are so blurry and flat. The jaggies. The jaggies everywhere!

The levels would be cool if the AI wasn't so bland. Thats probably the biggest issue. In thier times the AI in hce-h3 was great. That is no longer the case. They're glamorised pylons.

The character development is amatuer hour and the story overall is non sensical.

Its essentially a COD campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Idk if this will work but look at these pics. Notice how flat all of h5's textures are? Notice all the jaggies everywhere?

halo-5-guardians-revive-6f8a940a82824864

daylight.jpg

TheOrder1886-410.jpg

Something about the feel for it works for me better.

Same. The Magnum has much faster switching and reload speeds. Plus, you can fire instantly out of sprint, which is important to me since I slideboost a lot.

And unlike the BR, you can actually thrust cancel with it. Trying to do it with the BR cancels the burst mid-way.

Same. The Magnum has much faster switching and reload speeds. Plus, you can fire instantly out of sprint, which is important to me since I slideboost a lot.

And unlike the BR, you can actually thrust cancel with it. Trying to do it with the BR cancels the burst mid-way.

How does one do this "thrust cancel"?

The visuals are meh by today's standards. The textures are so blurry and flat. The jaggies. The jaggies everywhere!

The levels would be cool if the AI wasn't so bland. Thats probably the biggest issue. In thier times the AI in hce-h3 was great. That is no longer the case. They're glamorised pylons.

The character development is amatuer hour and the story overall is non sensical.

Its essentially a COD campaign.

the level design couldn't have been further apart from a cod game, as for everything else, id actually agree.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At least try.

-Dated visuals

-Tons of characters thrown at you with absolutely no character development

-Pylon AI

-Nonsense story

What game am I talking about? H5 or a random COD campaign. You tell me.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Modern Warfare campaigns>>>>>

Just get IW to make a Modern Warfare Collection for this year

Can't even recall a character in Halo with any decent development tbh

Cortana, MC and the arbiter were done fairly well. But that's the thing, because there were so few characters and the story was kept simple, simple characters didn't stand out. H5 tries to be a big time narrative game with 8 playable characters amongst a cast of others. But it has cardboard cut oit characters so it feels so wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Almost all of the good character development has been in the EU of the series (lore too strong).

2 and reach probably have the most, the former more so than the latter, halo ce and 3 were more about the plot and mystery than anything else, with 3s contribution being an injection of emotion into already established narratives and characters.

Cortana, MC and the arbiter were done fairly well. But that's the thing, because there were so few characters and the story was kept simple, simple characters didn't stand out. H5 tries to be a big time narrative game with 8 playable characters amongst a cast of others. But it has cardboard cut oit characters so it feels so wrong.

In all of h1, what does the MC do with character development? Same with cortana? You can't explain h1-h3 development for the two as comparing a trilogy to 1 game is unfair. I agree with arbiter but I do think the development is pretty lack luster (oh man I've been tricked!! Now let's team with former bad guys. Pretty standard if you ask me)

In all of h1, what does the MC do with character development? Same with cortana? You can't explain h1-h3 development for the two as comparing a trilogy to 1 game is unfair. I agree with arbiter but I do think the development is pretty lack luster (oh man I've been tricked!! Now let's team with former bad guys. Pretty standard if you ask me)

But that's the thing, because there were so few characters and the story was kept simple, simple characters didn't stand out. H5 tries to be a big time narrative game with 8 playable characters amongst a cast of others. But it has cardboard cut oit characters so it feels so wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still can't believe H5's plot is for real. When the leaks happened I thought it was a terrible troll, and then it was in the actual game, wow. It's like they turned tumblr fanfiction into official lore.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reach? Highly disagree. Unless you meant the book. The game was a real mess that way.

reach wasnt perfect, but it wasnt bad as a stand alone narrative.