CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This concept art is ugly. There's nothing to focus on. 343's art is sheeeeit

guardian_exploration_6_all.jpg

Fred_armor.jpg

We must have very different definitions of ugly.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Fred_armor.jpg

The armor isn't ugly at all, but it's really overdesigned. The Guardian concept doesn't at all look like it's from Halo, more like Mass Effect or Final Fantasy.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-

QpUC93R0fkY/Vi9DI7Qv2KI/AAAAAAAAUrQ/y2G0tg-Of4w/s400/Fred_armor.jpg

every piece of concept art has armor metal looking like its slapped together - no rhyme or reason. Doesn't fit Halo

The armor isn't ugly at all, but it's really overdesigned. The Guardian concept doesn't at all look like it's from Halo, more like Mass Effect or Final Fantasy.

Still better than anything in-game, which was my entire point.

Moreover, the penchant towards over design only hinders the viewer/player if it makes it more artificially difficult to play the game (see: Promethean Knights) or discern between important NPC's (see: Jul M'Dama vs literally any Elite under his control) In this piece, Fred has a scarf. That didn't come with the armor. If anything, it could say something small about Fred's personality. Perhaps he's a pragmatist who understands that his armor won't help him forever? One of those Boyscout "Be Prepared" types. Perhaps he just likes to accessorize? Either way, its better than being the one with the square head

With regards to the Guardian. At present, it's ripping off Sins of a Solar Empire. Moreover, I was unaware Halo had ever really had a feverishly original visual design to begin with. Its had a striking, blended one, but never entirely original - what with this, this, and this all existing well before 2001. Mass Effect itself is pulling from infinite Sci Fi tropes to build the Reapers, therefore it would only be within tradition for Halo to pull from similar sources. Artificial Organic is still a fairly underused motif, imo.

Still better than anything in-game, which was my entire point.

Moreover, the penchant towards over design only hinders the viewer/player if it makes it more artificially difficult to play the game (see: Promethean Knights) or discern between important NPC's (see: Jul M'Dama vs literally any Elite under his control) In this piece, Fred has a scarf. That didn't come with the armor. If anything, it could say something small about Fred's personality. Perhaps he's a pragmatist who understands that his armor won't help him forever? One of those Boyscout "Be Prepared" types. Perhaps he just likes to accessorize? Either way, its better than being the one with the square head.

With regards to the Guardian. At present, it's ripping off Sins of a Solar Empire. Moreover, I was unaware Halo had ever really had an original visual design. What with this, this, and this all existing well before 2001. Mass Effect itself is pulling from infinite Sci Fi tropes to build the Reapers, therefore it would only be within tradition for Halo to pull from similar sources. Artificial Organic is still a fairly underused motif, imo.

Maybe the idea of a large inhabitable ring is copied from Ringworld, but I have yet to see anything that Bungie's Forerunner design palette looks similar to. 343's on the other hand... Also the old human design influence is from structures we see all around us today. While not original in terms of aesthetics, it certainly was a unique idea to have a modern looking human race 500 years in the future. In that respect, Bungie's humans were original.

With regards to the Guardian. At present, it's ripping off Sins of a Solar Empire. Moreover, I was unaware Halo had ever really had a feverishly original visual design to begin with. Its had a striking, blended one, but never entirely original - what with this, this, and this all existing well before 2001. Mass Effect itself is pulling from infinite Sci Fi tropes to build the Reapers, therefore it would only be within tradition for Halo to pull from similar sources. Artificial Organic is still a fairly underused motif, imo.

The first games might  have drawn heavy inspiration from other Sci-Fi sources, but the overall art direction was rather the same among Bungies Halo games, sure not entierly the same but to me it allways looked like those game balong to the same universe, so even Bungie was stealing ideas, they somhow created an own style for Halo by choosing what to copy.

343 started copying stuff as well but it doesn't look like it belongs in the universe that Bungie started

but I have yet to see anything that Bungie's Forerunner design palette looks similar to.

giza-pyramids_24757_600x450.jpg

Nothing wrong with it. Nothing without obvious inspiration either.

And guys, I'm not defending 343 here. Their artstyle is absolutely cluttered in the face of one of the most focused yet combined aesthetics in gaming history.

If anything, its more damning to know they had better ideas they just didn't use.

So when is 343 implementing the version of JIP that doesn't suck where you can invite a friend of yours?

Bonus incentives: Double XP, Double REQ, CSR drops are reduced to 20% of what it is for regular loss. 

Just warn the person accepting the invite that it's for a JIP game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's really cool.

I love these three:

160_guardian_ascent_FINAL_revis.jpgarrival_FINAL_SHEET_revis_3.jpgkory_Sparth_collaboration.jpg

And why didn't this make it into the campaign?

urban_warfare_Final_approved_small.jpg

Apparently the city that Empire, Eden and Battle of Noctus takes place in was meant to be in the campaign but was cut. 

Because that is the new Warzone map.

But here comes the circle jerk discussion of talking shit about 343s art design.

I doubt it's concept for the Warzone map. I've read a lot of rumours about that city being cut from the campaign.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently the city that Empire, Eden and Battle of Noctus takes place in was meant to be in the campaign but was cut.

I doubt it's concept for the Warzone map. I've read a lot of rumours about that city being cut from the campaign.

No it is. If you go to the East or West armory (forget which) you can see that same exact thing.

armours and helmets aside i really like 343is art design, as a very unique style unlike what most other games do have nowadays

armors, helmets and weapons aside and i could partially agree, Genesis & Sanghelios do look really gorgeous (different but good) but I'm not a fan of their UNSC stuff, it would be acceptable if they didn't overuse it so much...

giza-pyramids_24757_600x450.jpg

Nothing wrong with it. Nothing without obvious inspiration either.

And guys, I'm not defending 343 here. Their artstyle is absolutely cluttered in the face of one of the most focused yet combined aesthetics in gaming history.

If anything, its more damning to know they had better ideas they just didn't use.

Hm. I suppose Forerunner stuff is pretty similar to ancient architeccture, which makes complete sense, considering who they are. How 343 doesn't understand this is beyond me.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I still prefer 343's Forerunner design to Bungie's.

Bungie had that ancient look nailed down but I didn't like how everything seemed to be made from concrete, it was all very grey. H2 I thought was just weird, the ruined buildings on Delta Halo looked cool but felt completely different to Halo CE and 3.

I find 343's designs far more visually interesting and I love the use of lighting.

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&srScreenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In terms of artistry I think the 343 team are a very talented lot, with a lot to offer. Just not Halo, at all.

Not only have they been extremely unfaithful to the original Halo aesthetic but they've also implemented form-over-function design philosophies which have intruded on important game elements like UI, weapon zoom and map design, to name a few. 

A lot of their style involves far-east design elements which absolutely do not work with Halo at all. For the exact same reason why people call out the boring round human structures, the weird looking wraith, the ridiculous and repetitive armour, and lack of visual realism.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think it suits Halo perfectly. Maybe I watch too many Animes and such but eh. I always felt that 343s design was a mixture of classic Halo with their own spin on it. I personally am glad that 343 doesn't follow Bungies design cause they aren't Bungie. They are 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I think it is, but your point is not lost. 

I think anybody who played the campaign can tell that there was a bunch of shit that was cut or incomplete. only 3 chief missions and 3 other missions that were basically total throwaways?  I doubt they thought that was a good idea, but had to do it to hit the deadline.

After how awesome the Hunt the Truth audio series was, i was incredibly disappointed by the campaign.

I think it suits Halo perfectly. Maybe I watch too many Animes and such but eh. I always felt that 343s design was a mixture of classic Halo with their own spin on it. I personally am glad that 343 doesn't follow Bungies design cause they aren't Bungie. They are 343.

It doesn't matter who they are, you don't waltz into someone's house and start rearranging their furniture like you own the place.

But they work on Halo, not on their own, new franchise..

If JJ came around messing up SW's design and changing it into something else because he was in charge of TFA, people probably would have rioted

Just look at the uproar the new light saber created..and that was just a small detail that still kinda fits into the universe

I've never understood the bitching that happens whenever something changes. Maybe because I don't grow attached to sights or sounds. I consider the word "iconic" to be moronic and the inability people have to get over change outstanding.
  • Downvote (-1) 3

But they work on Halo, not on their own, new franchise..

If JJ came around messing up SW's design and changing it into something else because he was in charge of TFA, people probably would have rioted

Just look at the uproar the new light saber created..and that was just a small detail that still kinda fits into the universe

And yet he changed how the iconic Stormtroopers used to look....

You don't copy a source material, you reference it.

It doesn't matter who they are, you don't waltz into someone's house and start rearranging their furniture like you own the place.

But its not Bungies house anymore is it?