CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The better question is: Will the series make it that far?

Yes.

We've had 8 Forza games all of which sold far less than Halo does. Microsoft isn't going to drop it's star franchise because of 1 game not selling as much previous titles. Halo 5 is still a big success for them.

Majestic's story continued in the Escalation series if I recall correctly. Thorne is alive and well, DeMarco ended up dying after being transferred to Fireteam Bailey. Grant, Hoya and Madsen are all alive as far as we know, too. Fireteam Castle all died during a Spartan Ops mission. There was also a Spartan-IV called 'Tashi' on Fireteam Castle too. Also, Holly Tanaka was actually apart of Fireteam Domino who was mentioned in Halo 4: Spartan Ops too.Unless Halo's marketing suddenly becomes terrible, absolutely.

Never bothered reading Escalation, and completely forgot about those portions of Spartan Ops. I only remember Fireteam "Switchblade" or something, by the Harvester. Here's hoping Thorne comes back, I liked him.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Never bothered reading Escalation, and completely forgot about those portions of Spartan Ops. I only remember Fireteam "Switchblade" or something, by the Harvester. Here's hoping Thorne comes back, I liked him.

I assume you knew he was going to be a member of Osiris before they got Fillion? 

Would have loved to see that.

So @@aKREZZ - real talk for a minute.

I think you run with Wasp and 10 others in Warzone. I tend to do the same and it's fun as shit. What I don't understand is the whole spawn killing for the full 1000 points rather than just blowing up the core.

When I played with you guys a few weeks back, I was so bored while we were playing. I just wanted to blow the core up and get the next game going.

Do you get some sort of enjoyment out of spawn killing for the full 1000?

Not trying to take jabs or anything, just genuinely curious what your thoughts are.

Why would it be more fun to end the game and sit in a lobby?

People asked me the same question with reach btb because sometimes we'd hold the objective. If nobody good is on to match whats the point of rushing through games? You spend more time in the lobby and running through the same game openings then you do actually playing the game.

Oh god please don't tell me Locke will have anything to do with the rest of the series. He is the more boring and uncharacterised protagonists I've ever had to witness in a story-driven game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why would it be more fun to end the game and sit in a lobby?

People asked me the same question with reach btb because sometimes we'd hold the objective. If nobody good is on to match whats the point of rushing through games? You spend more time in the lobby and running through the same game openings then you do actually playing the game.

I'd rather the game end and find another match against more competent players? Spawn killing people for 10-15 minutes just seems eh to me.

So @@aKREZZ - real talk for a minute.

I think you run with Wasp and 10 others in Warzone. I tend to do the same and it's fun as shit. What I don't understand is the whole spawn killing for the full 1000 points rather than just blowing up the core.

When I played with you guys a few weeks back, I was so bored while we were playing. I just wanted to blow the core up and get the next game going. 

Do you get some sort of enjoyment out of spawn killing for the full 1000? 

Not trying to take jabs or anything, just genuinely curious what your thoughts are.

Commendations brah, and more time = more exp.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd rather the game end and find another match against more competent players? Spawn killing people for 10-15 minutes just seems eh to me.

But when you're on the level of wasp's warzone party or my reach btb parties unless you're matching known players everyone is so far below you that every game is a huge blow out. When a good party is on then you try to match them and quickly end games that are not against them. But if nobody good is on, whats the point? You're just wasting your time looking for competition that doesn't exist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh god please don't tell me Locke will have anything to do with the rest of the series. He is the more boring and uncharacterised protagonists I've ever had to witness in a story-driven game.

thing is Locke doesn't have that much character, at this point 343 could get a good writer to morph him into an interesting guy, and it wouldn't be jarring at all.

I assume you knew he was going to be a member of Osiris before they got Fillion? 

Would have loved to see that.

Oh, yeah, knew that from the menu and actual concept art. I would've been torn on having him, or Fillion, because I love both. Though, I'd have loved to see Thorne's dynamic brought into the mix again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd honestly rather have had Palmer than Tanaka.

Tanaka is 100% the most useless of the characters. Palmer is too high up in the ranks but Thorne should have filled her spot when Buck was added.

Yes.

We've had 8 Forza games all of which sold far less than Halo does. Microsoft isn't going to drop it's star franchise because of 1 game not selling as much previous titles. Halo 5 is still a big success for them.

I could be wrong, but I imagine that Halo games cost significantly more to develop than Forza. Halo's popularity is in free fall whereas Forza's is steady. With Halo 5 performing significantly worse in sales and population versus previous installments, I foresee Halo 6 not only performing worse, but much worse than Halo 5. Microsoft could possibly pull the plug after Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Commendations brah, and more time = more exp.

Commendations makes sense, sure. I know a few guys I played with were calling in all their stuff to get them all done. As for XP, it caps eventually. I think I get the same amount of XP/REQ points from a 20 min game as I do a 6-8 minute game.

But when you're on the level of wasp's warzone party or my reach btb parties unless you're matching known players everyone is so far below you that every game is a huge blow out. When a good party is on then you try to match them and quickly end games that are not against them. But if nobody good is on, whats the point? You're just wasting your time looking for competition that doesn't exist.

Fair argument. At that point, I don't think I'd bother playing myself, or only play when I knew other competent players were online.

Well I finally started playing Arena again. Played about 20 more games and now I have a better opinion of the game. It's dogshit. H4 comp was more enjoyable. I would rather have easy to use precision weapon battles than this random ass game.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeIYu7Vu-e8

I think there are actually some people that are hyped for these abilites. Not hardcore gamers or people that have played Halo before, but these two groups have never been the focus of 343i's games. The target audience is clear: Teenage males that enjoy super-hero abilites and feeling like a badass.

What I find depressing though is that they could literally make a Halo game that stays true to the orginal formula, with how much money they spend on making these trailers and advertising in general, they would not lose a single customer. These trailers can make ANYTHING look cool, even "out of fashion" classic Halo gameplay.

Watching this trailer again, I laugh at the fact Locke ground pounds through a building and lets the debris fall on top of him while posing, but in a different trailer Master Chief almost "dies" because of a building's debris falling on top of him. 

And lol, I had forgotten all about that out-of-place voice that ruins the trailer faster than sprint ruins a Halo map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Commendations makes sense, sure. I know a few guys I played with were calling in all their stuff to get them all done. As for XP, it caps eventually. I think I get the same amount of XP/REQ points from a 20 min game as I do a 6-8 minute game.

Fair argument. At that point, I don't think I'd bother playing myself, or only play when I knew other competent players were online.

Gotta stat pad those stats you can't see in-game

Well I finally started playing Arena again. Played about 20 more games and now I have a better opinion of the game. It's dogshit. H4 comp was more enjoyable. I would rather have easy to use precision weapon battles than this random ass game.

Honestly, I would take MCC's version of Halo 4 over Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Yep. lots of people are like that. I don't think I could have fun doing that in this game either. Reach was a little different because I really couldn't stand the 4v4 gameplay so I didn't have any options other than playing BTB.

Are they going to skip Halo 9 and go straight to Halo 10?

:holmes:

You forgot Halo 8.1 : Sorry we really fucked that up edition

• Upvote (+1) 1

Huh. Waypoint agrees.

:kappa:

Tanaka is 100% the most useless of the characters. Palmer is too high up in the ranks but Thorne should have filled her spot when Buck was added.

But then it wouldn't be "boy-girl-boy-girl"

It sounds like a joke but I guarantee you gender balance means A LOT to those in charge at 343. Many of their public statements have reinforced that.

They could have made Spartan Thorne go transgender between H4 and H5 though, then they get another "female" character and even more diversity.

• Upvote (+1) 2