CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

8awaHF6h.jpg

This image is just, awe inspiring. The scale is amazing with the Guardian, the environment in the distance conveys that and looks amazing on top of it. This picture is just amazing. There's also another part of Genesis in the first mission with you on it, as the Chief, that I love. If you look in the background of a certain area, you can see something like 3 Guardians, all at different distances and it just shows their size and numbers in varying ways. Won't lie, Halo 5's the first that actually blew me away with skybox design like that.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'd like to test arena breakout with two flags on regular maps and no radar. Could be interesting.

To build off of this. ..what if instead of two flags they kept the one flag, but made it so you could cap at either base? That way the 1 person alive can't camp a specific side and it gives the team going for the objective in that situation more options.

He didnt mean that. Currently the imbalance is too high on the numbers advantage.

Currently the one person in a 2/3 v 1 has no options at all. All they can do is hold back, play passively. Same for the 2/3, their only option is to kill the 1 guy, so there no incentive to split off. In other 1 life games, the gametype itself isint as linear, with multiple options available to both sides, thus creating more comeback potential.

In my opinion the only option you have when outnumbered is to kill players as quickly as possible to make it even again.

If your opponents are good enough, there is  literally no way to win a 3v1, or even a 2v1 because unless you have a shotgun there is no way of killing someone quick enough before they can get back to cover.

And this is disregarding they can just cap the flag, in which case you have to kill all the guys that can potentially cap the flag before they can kill you once, which they have all the time in the world for.

That sort of an imbalance isn't just too high, it is gametype breakingly bad, because all it requires is for one team to be down players before the match is essentially over.

especially with the destroyable walls similar to the stuff we see in the Warzone maps.

I find this so cheesy, I mean it's cool to teach people that charge exists, but these "force player to do mechanic X every single game" events get stale REALLY quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I just don't understand why we don't have a Sanghelios canyons map in MP or a Sunaion map instead of all of these urban human areas.

Halo threads remind me of old portable CD players these days, if the disk was broken, it sometimes kept repeating 2-5 seconds of a song over and over again ...I posted this same opinion at least 6 times over the last months on here alone...

We still have to go through 3 remixes (Rig, Coliseum, Fathom) so maybe we will get some good looking Maps in 3 months...

• Upvote (+1) 2

This image is just, awe inspiring. The scale is amazing with the Guardian, the environment in the distance conveys that and looks amazing on top of it. This picture is just amazing. There's also another part of Genesis in the first mission with you on it, as the Chief, that I love. If you look in the background of a certain area, you can see something like 3 Guardians, all at different distances and it just shows their size and numbers in varying ways. Won't lie, Halo 5's the first that actually blew me away with skybox design like that.

My favourite moment was in the final level when you're on the lift down to final sandbox area and all the guardians are jumping out. Just awe inspiring.

It looks gorgeous in terms of raw graphical power. Art style is UGLY.

Halo 5 has waaay too much low res stuff for my tastes. The texture's I see a for the majority pretty disgusting, either flat and plain like the human walls or washed out grotesque like the sand and dirt. The lighting looks incredibly unrealistic. The only things graphically impressive are the things that demand high detail like the spartan models and weapons. I see the graphics as making the best out of a shit art direction and a shit console pushed to constant 60fps.

Thats why everything's washed out with horrible lighting, that's why the shadows are so fake, that's why everything is glossy, and that's why everything looks 'anime' lol. Because the materials they can use for fidelity are so bad they resort to cheap bells and whistles instead of pure graphical quality.

What being said, they somehow managed to go from the thick and gritty look of Reach to the clay washed out bullshit of Halo 4, 2 years after Reach was released on the same bloody console, so I'm sure it has something to do with their in-house pos graphics engine making everything look worse then everybody else.

Now compare Destiny to Halo 4 & 5, which I consider graphically as the spiritual successor to Halo Reach, with the same gritty and detailed aesthetic purposely reminiscent of the concept art. It's on both 360 and xbone and in all situations looks way better both graphically and aesthetically then anything 343 have put out.

If you look in the background of a certain area, you can see something like 3 Guardians, all at different distances and it just shows their size and numbers in varying ways. Won't lie, Halo 5's the first that actually blew me away with skybox design like that.

Reaches skyboxes were the first to absolutely blow me away, I'm glad that's one of the things 343 carried on well.

I find this so cheesy, I mean it's cool to teach people that charge exists, but these "force player to do mechanic X every single game" events get stale REALLY quickly.

Personally, they just felt so unecessary. I mean, they were used to close of otherwise inaccessible areas, but that's the sort of stuff you would hit, blow up, or crouch jump over in previous Halo's. Just feels like a gimmick which unfortunately has turned into a cancerous game mechanic.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Art style =/= graphics

Never been a fan of this distinction to be honest. Technically true, but in most discussions people use graphics to refer to the entire visual package. Devs who create beautiful games without using raw fidelity as a crutch should get more praise. The early Halo games may have had lower polycount models, but the world was crisp and easy to parse during gameplay, which is more important imo, and should a stronger factor when determining "good graphics."

Graphics feel like the be-all-end-all in today's industry and the actual games behind it are suffering.

Reaches skyboxes were the first to absolutely blow me away, I'm glad that's one of the things 343 carried on well.

I was indifferent to them. I think the only ones I truly enjoyed from Reach were Winter Contingency's/Nightfall's, because they were simple with large planets. Looked like wallpapers I use on my desktop. Oh, and the one from Glacier. With the Forerunner artifact. Sure had scale. Pillar of Autumn however... was just... An assortment of colors and random cloud types, which turned me off, and things like the Package, Exodus and New Alexandria were wayyyyyyy too simple. Wished they had a little more to them past basic colors. Although, I give Bungie props for the space elevators in New Alexandria, and the forboding silhouettes of the Covenant army near the mountains in PoA each time lighting struck by that area. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Watching The Sprint and they're talking about implementing these and I'm just like "Why are you wasting time on this?"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Never been a fan of this distinction to be honest. Technically true, but in most discussions people use graphics to refer to the entire visual package. Devs who create beautiful games without using raw fidelity as a crutch should get more praise. The early Halo games may have had lower polycount models, but the world was crisp and easy to parse during gameplay, which is more important imo, and should a stronger factor when determining "good graphics."

Graphics feel like the be-all-end-all in today's industry and the actual games behind it are suffering.

Those devs do get praised. The Halo community says all the time on how Bungie's games looked better because of their art style. Though we can't act like 343 didn't make Halo 4 look technically (graphically) impressive. It's important to distinguish because they are two separate things. I hate how 343's games look as well, I can't stand it, but I do recognize that their VFX team (not their art team) have done an impressive job with both Halo 4 & 5. The human faces, the foliage, Cortana, Master Chief are extremely impressive in a technical viewpoint and it's worth nothing and it's something that Bungie has never come close too when compared to what else was out there during the release of their games. I still can't believe what they accomplished with Halo 4 on the Xbox 360.

Just because someone compliments their VFX work doesn't mean they are complementing the art team. The art team are given the assets that were made by the VFX team and what I'm saying is that 343's VFX team (they may call them something different) has done a phenomenal job and what the art team has done with their work has been disappointing when not only compared to Bungie's Halo games, but games in general.

• Upvote (+1) 9

That's entirely subjective.

While I prefer the old games, some of H5 is downright gorgeous, art wise (mostly in the campaign).[/quote

Duh its subjective, I dont think i need to put that when stating an opinion

I think H5's campaign has the best art design in the series. Almost every level had a moment where I was blown away with how awesome it looked.

The art design in H4 was good but not great, 343 seriously stepped it up in 5.

I think H5's campaign has the best art design in the series. Almost every level had a moment where I was blown away with how awesome it looked.

The art design in H4 was good but not great, 343 seriously stepped it up in 5.

To bad that the campaign is only 3-4 hours long. Maybe we might get a Halo 5 Part 2 or something in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

To bad that the campaign is only 3-4 hours long. Maybe we might get a Halo 5 Part 2 or something in the future.

I still think it's coming this year. They don't put a colon in a game title for nothing.

sick post m8

• Downvote (-1) 3

Welcome to Team Beyond: the worlds home for competitive halo...

...where we play Halo games on easy/normal difficulty.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I still think it's coming this year. They don't put a colon in a game title for nothing.

I heard it'll be standalone DLC that'll be coming out in 2 years. I think it's called Halo 6

Didn't 343 say that they had no campaign DLC planned for H5? Also, Bonnie Ross commented on the sub-title for a numbered Halo game. It's because they want to stop numbering the games and move to sub-titles only and Halo 5: Guardians is the buffer zone of that change. Halo 6 won't have a 6 in it.

They could add a 3 hour expansion and it would 3-4-3 hours long.

Screenshot_116.png

• Upvote (+1) 7