CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm going say this thought out loud, because fuck it. I feel I have more control over my aim in 20 fps Reach then I do on Halo 5.

It's so fucked. I was playing SWAT and and snipers yesterday and even with a fucking massive handicap I was still out skilling people which is something I just about never feel in Halo 5. Every time I missed it feels like it's my fault instead of the game fighting against me, and although my eyes were in 20fps agony and delay was like a 70inch plasma I was empowered in a way I've never sensed in H5.

can someone remind me why it was ever ok to put overgrowth in FFA with 6 people, a shotgun, railgun, sword and camo? holy shit i want to die playing that.

And I'm saying this too, Swordbase might be a god awful map but the gameplay on it is still 10x better than the pure, concentrated cancer that is Overgrowth.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Epitaph is playable compared to Overgrowth. I don't get how initial spawn imbalance like that gets past testing, don't they gets statistics of how many times does blue side wins on that map. Or initial spawn in Plaza Strongholds, blue side gets camo for free. I would love to see statistics on side win percentage in:

- the rig

-plaza

-overgrowth

-eden strongholds

I don't think 343 test teams speak up. Or there isn't anyone tracking MM statistics. I think Strongholds in asymmetrical maps should have 2 rounds.

They will remove Overgrowth eventually, and everyone will be like, "look, they ARE listening!"

As far as the proof thing, I still have none so this is really a stretch..

but I asked Josh Holmes after the beta if the Hydra can function like the Rocket Launcher from Nexuiz instead of how it currently works. Apparently the latest SPNKR Rockets have a user guided system like I asked. So yes, still no proof. No idea how I could even get it. I also understand it doesn't exactly fall in line with the other criticism about auto or overall weapon balance or player mechanics. Could have been a huge coincidence but I know he watched the video where I detailed my "ideal" rockets.

Now if they add a Shock Rifle next, then they're definitely listening to me at least lol. Not what you were looking for... but just thought I'd share.

And I'm saying this too, Swordbase might be a god awful map but the gameplay on it is still 10x better than the pure, concentrated cancer that is Overgrowth.

I have not played Overgrowth but I find that hard to believe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

but I asked Josh Holmes after the beta if the Hydra can function like the Rocket Launcher from Nexuiz instead of how it currently works. Apparently the latest SPNKR Rockets have a user guided system like I asked. So yes, still no proof. No idea how I could even get it. I also understand it doesn't exactly fall in line with the other criticism about auto or overall weapon balance or player mechanics. Could have been a huge coincidence but I know he watched the video where I detailed my "ideal" rockets.

Now if they add a Shock Rifle next, then they're definitely listening to me at least lol. Not what you were looking for... but just thought I'd share.

Wait, I'm confused by what you're saying. Did you mean to type Hydra/SPNKR in there?

So yes, still no proof. No idea how I could even get it. I also understand it doesn't exactly fall in line with the other criticism about auto or overall weapon balance or player mechanics.

Maybe Josh can post an Instagram pick of himself in roundtable meeting with this thread open on his laptop. Bonus points if TB's ideas are on a whiteboard. :prayers: :holmes: :prayers:

Wait, I'm confused by what you're saying. Did you mean to type Hydra/SPNKR in there?

After the beta I had sent him a message seeing how the Hydra functioned asking if they could change it to how a rocket launcher from a different game functions. I showed him a video but we didn't discuss much about it. I don't remember how much time was left before Halo 5's release, but I'd imagine it wasn't a whole lot when I sent my message. So yes they Hydra wasn't changed like I asked but I'd assume they didn't have much time.

What ended up happening is instead of changing the Hydra, they added the feature one or two of the rare or legendary SPNKRs. Apparently one of the legendary rocket launchers functions this way too. I made a few posts about it and most of them always include the fact that I haven't unlocked them yet.

I also wanted to stress there is a difference between listening to some request like mine versus requests to tweak the sandbox or remove player abilities. I also emphasized that by no means was this any literal proof. It could just be a coincidence. I just saw a post of yours last night and am playing devils advocate with a minor example.

After the beta I had sent him a message seeing how the Hydra functioned asking if they could change it to how a rocket launcher from a different game functions. I showed him a video but we didn't discuss much about it. I don't remember how much time was left before Halo 5's release, but I'd imagine it wasn't a whole lot when I sent my message. So yes they Hydra wasn't changed like I asked but I'd assume they didn't have much time.

What ended up happening is instead of changing the Hydra, they added the feature one or two of the rare or legendary SPNKRs. Apparently one of the legendary rocket launchers functions this way too. I made a few posts about it and most of them always include the fact that I haven't unlocked them yet.

I also wanted to stress there is a difference between listening to some request like mine versus requests to tweak the sandbox or remove player abilities. I also emphasized that by no means was this any literal proof. It could just be a coincidence. I just saw a post of yours last night and am playing devils advocate with a minor example.

What function does it perform, early detonation?

I have been out of the loop for like 2 weeks.  Have I missed much? I am wondering if we will be getting any forged maps in arena.  This sparks my interest. 

I figured 343 has been quiet through the holidays.

I have been out of the loop for like 2 weeks.  Have I missed much? I am wondering if we will be getting any forged maps in arena.  This sparks my interest. 

I figured 343 has been quiet through the holidays.

I suspect a lot of nice things happening to H5 considering they are now settled at the new studio, such as Overgrowth getting changed/removed.

I would not expect big things for the January update, considering the holidays and the move. Some nice little tidbits, but nothing to the extent of Forge in December.

Everyone here should be doing their part absolutely abusing Overgrowth games. Quitting the build? Come on guys, we're better than that.

Everyone here should be doing their part absolutely abusing Overgrowth games. Quitting the build? Come on guys, we're better than that.

Yep, let's ruin the experience for other players. 

Okay fam, I tried. I really did. I couldn't catch up from my 6 day vacation from Beyond with the gf in Denver. Too much... just too much. Glad to see in the last two pages things seemed to have settled down.

I love you guys. Well most of you. 

If you can singlehandedly ruin the experience of a whole map by yourself, then it's just a bad map.

Unfortunately, abusing broken mechanics and/or functions is just about the only way to get things done in the video game world.

People got Orion removed pretty quick. Did it suck for the players involved on the original games? Yeah. But now no one has to go through that map, new or old.

I mean, they put it in the game and we wouldn't be doing anything that the game wasn't letting us do.

Do you really think that they're going to shove away something that was dev-tool made without substantial empirical evidence?