CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The child inside of us who discovered Halo will always hang on to "the great perhaps"

I guess. They're just hurting themselves in the long run

I didn't say to be positive about the state that Halo is in. I said be positive when giving your feedback.

I apologize profusely if I don't have the personal constitution that is up to your expectations and have, as a result, been lost to sarcasm and bitterness.

There are many people who like Halo 5 for what it is and would like it even more if some improvements were made

There were a lot of people who liked Halo 4.

Except it is true. You know for a fact it's true. If we didn't give our feedback after Halo 4, I dread to think what Halo 5 would have turned out like.

We got rid of awful things like ordnance, custom loadouts, no descope, perks, armour mods, etc but obviously we're still left with things like sprint and all the new stuff introduced that has proven to be annoying and "game breaking".

Every single Halo has been DRASTICALLY different from the one before it (save for H2 to H3, and even then), without any prompting of the userbase to see what they would've wanted, what they liked and what they didn't like. How you can think this time around is any different is absolutely beyond me.

We didn't do anything.

I'm well aware of how you've been posting since at least 2012 or whenever I started getting active on THC and I truly think your post attitude changed after MCC. Understandable I guess but it just sucks to see someone with your knowledge to just waste it. If you don't think they listen then that's a shame. 

I'm also aware how much energy you've poured into this game series - you wouldn't be here if you didn't care in some capacity. I don't expect you to have the patience and energy to keep making great posts over and over, it's not like I'm asking you to drop bomb shells every time you post. I'm just asking that when you post, you aren't an ass about it. If you don't think it's worth it because they aren't listening - why bother?

Number of times a Bungie or 343 employee has acknowledged any of my contributions to the Halo knowledge base, or anyone else I hold in high esteem:

tumblr_static_zero_run_ekah_render.gif

Bravo even blew off a Skype conversation with chaosTheory that was supposed to happen.

But once again, thanks for saying I'm out of my mind. If you put as much effort into your posts as you did your insults, perhaps we wouldn't be wasting each others time here.

It's almost like the burden of deciding whether or not it's a waste of time doesn't even rest with you or I...

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think there is ample evidence that in the grand scale of things 343 is going to do whatever they want with the franchise regardless of any and all feedback.

You can pick and choose various issues on either side that have either been changed or not changed in support of your own narrative but the bottom line is that the single most hated mechanic from Reach and H4, sprint, is still in the game and is not going anywhere. If that isn't enough evidence that 343 has, in the words of Bungie, certain things that are quite simply "design decisions" that WILL NOT be changed, I don't know what is.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't continue to make great posts critiquing the game, but I don't understand how anyone can really believe the reason H5 has serious problems still is our "tone". That to me is utterly ridiculous and amusing. 343 is not a petulant child whose response is based on tone. I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to be polite, but get real.

I feel like some of you literally live in this little bubble where Halo is still doing fantastic despite the fact that a nearly brand new Halo game can't break into the XBL top 10 consistently even after the Christmas boost. If you love this game that's honestly great, but don't pretend that H5 has done anything other than continue the ongoing spiral into irrelevancy that Halo has been experiencing for the past 5+ years.

Complaining about people who are bursting your little positivity bubble is honestly juvenile. While certain users, myself included at times, can likely work on their presentation, listening to the "counter complainers" whine about how these people are just stuck in the past and H5 is doing great is literally just as annoying.

/rant

Except the main argument has nothing to do with anything you typed. 

No one cares if you dislike the game, its how people on here do it. It's about complaining about dev interaction when shit like "l0lzzerzzz immur5iunszzzz" is pasted all over the place. I mean, come the fuck on, you wonder why we get zero time of day. 

At the end of the day, you're getting NO WHERE NEAR closer to the a dream of a better Halo. Rather, you're all just digging the whole deeper. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

At the end of the day, you're getting NO WHERE NEAR closer to the a dream of a better Halo. Rather, you're all just digging the whole deeper.

Or, it might be exactly like we're actually saying it - that we have no effect on things whatsoever.

Except the main argument has nothing to do with anything you typed.

No one cares if you dislike the game, its how people on here do it. It's about complaining about dev interaction when shit like "l0lzzerzzz immur5iunszzzz" is pasted all over the place. I mean, come the fuck on, you wonder why we get zero time of day.

That's not what I was arguing man. I'm saying the argument that our "tone" has anything to do with how good each iteration ends up being is silly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Or, it might be exactly like we're actually saying it - that we have no effect on things whatsoever.

I 100% know that you're wrong. 

Sure, we can't change EVERYTHING and ANYTHING we want about the game, but we certainly can influence more than you think.

There are some invaluable, intellectual, and key members of the community here, but it doesn't matter. Nobody wants to come here from 343 to talk or discuss any possible changes. 

That opportunity is probably long gone, and a lost hope now. Damage is done, just like MCC on a lot of us. 

That's not what I was arguing man. I'm saying the argument that our "tone" has anything to do with how good each iteration ends up being is silly.

Obviously. At the end of the day, the main pillars of the game stay the same, regardless of what the community says. BUT, there are opportunities here to refine and fix the minutiae. 

We have potential left, but it's being squandered by dog-piling. 

You honestly think that fan feedback had absolutely no effect on H4 to H5?

Really?

Also you're talking rubbish if you think 343 haven't been listening to feedback for H5.

- Orion removed

- SWAT settings modified

- FFA set to 6 players (I know some people don't like this but SO many people were asking for it)

- JIP removed from BTB

- Social playlists added

- Arena Breakout replacing Team Arena

Sure some of these things should have been that way from the start but saying they haven't responded to feedback is rubbish.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If the chances of going back to Halo's roots are extremely low, then what is the answer for the future of Halo? More game breaking gimmicks and continued decline in sales and population until Microsoft sees Halo as no longer viable?

If you think many people like Halo 5 for what it is, then you must also think many people liked Halo 4 for what it was, as it had an even higher population than H5.

That's a question I can't answer my man. Regardless of what direction Halo goes it, it is always going to sell a shit ton. Even if player retention doesn't reach levels of Halo 2, 3, Reach and even 4, it will always make a ton of money in sales and I guess REQ pack sales now. Lets not forget the non-game products too like books, megabloks, etc. 

There's no doubt that people like Halo 4 for what it was, but that didn't make the MP team shy away from fixing big issues with that game for Halo 5. 

I 100% know that you're wrong. 

Sure, we can't change EVERYTHING and ANYTHING we want about the game, but we certainly can influence more than you think.

There are some invaluable, intellectual, and key members of the community here, but it doesn't matter. Nobody wants to come here from 343 to talk or discuss any possible changes. 

That opportunity is probably long gone, and a lost hope now. Damage is done, just like MCC on a lot of us.

First of all, the "other side" of the Halo community can be far more autistic and asinine than this corner, but I'm not going to disagree with the idea that devs would rather have their boots licked than actually have to field real questions.

Secondly, there have been invaluable, intellectual, and key members of MANY communities in Halo's history that were geared toward a more cohesive, tight, and competitive Halo experience, and this is the first time a dev even showed up at all (though obviously not to hear us out). We have never been a priority.

What changes do you think are going to be discussed?

Forumer: "Josh, the pistol should be a 3sk and here is a giant fucking diatribe explaining in perfect detail why it would be beneficial to the base gameplay."

Sal1ent: "To answer your question, the REQ pack probabilities are evenly dispersed, so there is no set 'strategy' to gaming the system. We're happy to see you guys supporting the HWC! :)"

• Upvote (+1) 6

You honestly think that fan feedback had absolutely no effect on H4 to H5?

Really?

It's amazing how you guys keep asking this incredulously of me, and yet you can't support the idea to save your lives.

• Upvote (+1) 1

First of all, the "other side" of the Halo community can be far more autistic and asinine than this corner, but I'm not going to disagree with the idea that devs would rather have their boots licked than actually have to field real questions.

Secondly, there have been invaluable, intellectual, and key members of MANY communities in Halo's history that were geared toward a more cohesive, tight, and competitive Halo experience, and this is the first time a dev even showed up at all (though obviously not to hear us out). We have never been a priority.

What changes do you think are going to be discussed?

Forumer: "Josh, the pistol should be a 3sk and here is a giant fucking diatribe explaining in perfect detail why it would be beneficial to the base gameplay."

Sal1ent: "To answer your question, the REQ pack probabilities are evenly dispersed, so there is no set 'strategy' to gaming the system. We're happy to see you guys supporting the HWC! :)"

1) Classy.

2) Wrong

Just looking at the potential of a half-full glass here man. Don't blame me because I still hold out for hope. You can give up if you want, but I'll be around until my thumbs won't be able to play Halo any more. 

I just can't see the logic behind "a few bad apples ruin the bunch". I don't understand how the devs can simultaneously "reading everything and passing it on" but also ignoring everything because of some negative posts.

Has the tone of this forum really changed that much since launch? I see the same posters who were negative prelaunch being negative now, and the same posters who were positive prelaunch being positive now. A few people have swapped but the overall tone seems more or less the same.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I just can't see the logic behind "a few bad apples ruin the bunch". I don't understand how the devs can simultaneously "reading everything and passing it on" but also ignoring everything because of some negative posts.

Has the tone of this forum really changed that much since launch? I see the same posters who were negative prelaunch being negative now, and the same posters who were positive prelaunch being positive now. A few people have swapped but the overall tone seems more or less the same.

It doesn't matter whether or not you see the logic behind it. It's what's happening. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Breakout and Radars HAVE to go if this game is going to have merit at a tournament level.

Watching fucking tie rounds in Breakout is unacceptable. I hope that 343 is taking note of the responses to their cancerous gametype.

• Upvote (+1) 7

And I don't understand how people who continue to be negative about something continue to post in the thread that's dedicated to that something especially when said people think that nothing's going to change. 

Still waiting on a valid answer to this because really there's no reason for you guys to be here if you feel like this

Maybe they just got tired of it?

What do you think is going to happen, that we're going to TRICK them into making a good Halo game?

No, that we'll keep giving feedback and try to change course. Its not like this is physicaly strenuous or taxing; just need to be persistent. Halo 5 is meh but that isn't going to stop me from trying to change that.

Honestly, I think for the first time since I actually began posting on forums and gaining somewhat of an understanding of halo(and I'm stressing somewhat here since others have destroyed me on certain issues), that I'm afraid for the future of this franchise, with this community(not beyond so much as waypoint, reddit etc.)and these devs, this series is heading to a scary place.

What I don't understand is that if they read our posts..why don't they respond and interact with the community? 

Idk, maybe the pages of pages ridicule after a post is made?

It's shameful and embarrassing. I wouldn't come back either.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Really? Care to back that up?

Why else are they still talking to other people on places like Forgehub, r/Halo, and Twitter but not here?

What I don't understand is that if they read our posts..why don't they respond and interact with the community? 

Probably because as soon as one developer posts then it opens a can of worms of mixed feelings here and it completely derails the conversation.