CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The game looks smooth and polished, but it just feels so forced. I’ve been trying to quantify what it is exactly and I think the bottom line is that they are simply trying too hard. It’s like they are paying lip service to all of these check boxes for “competitive” players and “classic” Halo. I would imagine a bot scanning the internet Halo forums would come up with the same list of words to check off:

Power weapons, Timing, BXR, Fast Strafe, 4 shotted, arena maps

And like a bot, they have the buzzwords but absolutely no grasp of why they matter or what they mean in a broader context. They have “4 –shotted” on the kill feed, but that makes it feel like I need to be shown every time someone 4 shots. They give you a BXR medal, but again that only serves to cheapen the engagement. People want to miss shots and have skillful aiming, so they keep thrusters and sprint.  

Maybe my own enjoyment of Halo is different from most other players, but I find Halo to be at its best when the game leaves me alone to succeed or fail. I don’t need the game constantly prodding me in one direction or another; give me a skill based sandbox and let me play. None of the things they are adding actually improve the competitive merit of the game; absolutely none.

Give me a fast strafe, give me consistent weapons, give me faster kill times, give me less aim assist. I don’t want or need an announcer constantly shouting at me about how good I’m doing or where to go next. I don’t need indicators flashing around the screen all the time. I don’t need five medals popping up every time I kill someone. I want a clean, polished game to be an individual in. They're trying to replicate the feeling of callouts and lanning and parties in the game, and it just doesn't work.

It’s like when a country that doesn’t speak your language tries to replicate one of your favorite movies.  You can tell they’re trying really hard, and they have all the elements that technically match the original, but it always falls laughably short. I feel like if 343 could, they would have my Xbox high-fiving me after each kill. It's one giant patronization.

This, dude. I agree with everything you said. And I'm the same kind of person when it comes to playing Halo. Solid response. 

You guys aren't getting it. Of course it takes skill to get those weapons from competent teams, I'm not arguing against that. Nobody is. What we're saying is that it takes zero skill to buy a timer and hit start when the game boots. That has nothing to do with skill and for you to tell me I'm wrong tells me you're either misunderstanding the point or you're incapable of understanding it. All Halo 5 does is include the timer for you and hit start, big deal. I mean are you just angry that some casual players will have a heads up without investing money in a timer like you did? That's moronic. Nobody is gaining an extra advantage unless the information was hidden from your team or something, which it isn't.

Ive never bought a timer, I always relied on timing the guns with my brain and the in game clock. Not everyone that times weapons goes out and buys a timer. I'm just saying all the little things that give good players advantages over bad players are being implemented into the game. This does nothing but stagnate the competition and decrease the skill gap. There is literally zero competitive benefit to adding an in game timer, it makes the game easier when their focus should be making the game harder.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I hate all his opinions on Halo. All of them.

It's his livelihood so he just spews out bullshit. He doesn't want to say it's terrible and everyone should quit playing halo because it might scare off his viewers and subscribers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

great post @bigshow38

It's his livelihood so he just spews out bullshit. He doesn't want to say it's terrible and everyone should quit playing halo because it might scare off his viewers and subscribers.

That's not someone I want to put faith in then. That's no different than Frankie saying "it feels like Halo"...don't jerk around your fans and halo fans for the sake of your popularity and relations with 343.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This shouldn't be so hard; IMHO, take H1 lateral movement and lack of aim assist and mix in H2's jump, button glitches, and BR along w/ the same map scaling and you have a great game.  For innovation, spend literally 1000's of man hours making like 50 new maps, and then playtest them down to 10 new maps as good as the favorites of old.  Why is this so hard.  Instead we get cross game (cod) rip-offs that are characterized as innovation and "moving the game forward".  SO sick of this shit.

Why are you able to get top control so quick?

-Spawn bottom red/blue? Sprint bottom and jump top mid.

-Spawn top red/blue? Sprint and jump top mid.

-Spawn P1? There's a lift to P2.

Going up top and controlling top is two very different things

Ive never bought a timer, I always relied on timing the guns with my brain and the in game clock. Not everyone that times weapons goes out and buys a timer. I'm just saying all the little things that give good players advantages over bad players are being implemented into the game. This does nothing but stagnate the competition and decrease the skill gap. There is literally zero competitive benefit to adding an in game timer, it makes the game easier when their focus should be making the game harder.

I guess I've been playing CE wrong for years...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Currently downloading but from what I've seen and heard it seems like Sprint can be removed in the final game and maps wouldn't be a problem especially if thruster stays.

great post @bigshow38

That's not someone I want to put faith in then. That's no different than Frankie saying "it feels like Halo"...don't jerk around your fans and halo fans for the sake of your popularity and relations with 343.

Oh I know. I don't put faith in what a lot of pros say either. A lot of them said Halo 4 was great after they played it at E3. I'm just saying that's why they say a lot of the things that they say, whether they're right to do so or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This shouldn't be so hard; IMHO, take H1 lateral movement and lack of aim assist and mix in H2's jump, button glitches, and BR along w/ the same map scaling and you have a great game.  For innovation, spend literally 1000's of man hours making like 50 new maps, and then playtest them down to 10 new maps as good as the favorites of old.  Why is this so hard.  Instead we get cross game (cod) rip-offs that are characterized as innovation and "moving the game forward".  SO sick of this shit.

Like what? Literally the only map without issues Midship

Currently downloading but from what I've seen and heard it seems like Sprint can be removed in the final game and maps wouldn't be a problem especially if thruster stays.

heard? where?

You guys aren't getting it. Of course it takes skill to get those weapons from competent teams, I'm not arguing against that. Nobody is. What we're saying is that it takes zero skill to buy a timer and hit start when the game boots. That has nothing to do with skill and for you to tell me I'm wrong tells me you're either misunderstanding the point or you're incapable of understanding it. All Halo 5 does is include the timer for you and hit start, big deal. I mean are you just angry that some casual players will have a heads up without investing money in a timer like you did? That's moronic. Nobody is gaining an extra advantage unless the information was hidden from your team or something, which it isn't.

Yeah but that's not what caused me say "what"

What caused me to say "what" is "It's just simply knowing when something spawns, there is no skill in that, it's just memorizing numbers." when timing is way more complex than that

I may be able to get to play the beta this weekend, if the game is announcing when the thing spawns over and over I have a problem with that. If it's just a notification 10 seconds prior that's tolerable, but in an ideal competitive game that had cyclic timers I'd prefer the weapons to be announced WHEN they spawn, not before, just to teach players that these weapons always spawn at the same time.

Like I said what we're being given is tolerable but the only way you can do the mental gymnastics required to say it has no impact on the skill gap is to have a completely naive view on timing

Doesn't the announcer only say 10 seconds until its up?  Teams need to know a lot earlier than 10 seconds that the power weapons are coming up.  Still need to know the respawn timers and definitely earlier than 10 seconds.

I've heard 30 seconds. 

After watching Heinz play, here's my constructive feedback.

1) resize maps, get rid of sprint.

2) get rid of ADS

3) have playlist w/ no Spartan abilities

4) get rid of hover, get ghandi hop back

5) get rid of the announcer - sounds terrible, like nails on a chalk board; I'm OK w/ weapon timers, just make the call outs more benign and not so faux dramatic

6) get rid of 90% of the medals

7) get rid of the dude-bro attitude stuff (high fives and crap, overall attitude and fee), so cheesy and trashy

8) most other stuff looks good enough, aiming looks good.

As is currently, this is a no-preorder, campaign only buy and resell product more me.

To be fair that #3 wont work, the actual gameplay needs to be universal. Adding another playlist just to cater to some settings will divide the player base a lot more.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I stopped taking things Ninja says seriously a long time ago. He'll never bad mouth it and I dont blame him, hes gotta put himself first, the games his income source, but all he does is lie through his teeth

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm confused? Literally have no idea what you are implying. Explain?

Any and every good CE player uses a timer that announces time until a weapon comes up and counts down when it comes up. 

It's exactly what this game is doing. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why the fuck are the spartans chatting to each other in the middle of the game.

"Great kill!", "Watch out for that grenade!"

Tryibg to sell to CODdled kids needing their participation trophies and constant reinforcement

I get that this is a Beta and they want to get peoples feedback but honestly...how did this make it through development with the Sniper being how it is? That scares me for any likelyhood of it changing. Quick-scoping is gone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

heard? where?

From friends playing that said the maps aren't as big as everyone thinks

If my post seemed to have implied I had the inside scoop from a dev I apologize.