CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

It takes the same amount of skill as knowing where the power weapons are, ie no skill.

This just isn't true, you can't tell me if 2 evenly matched teams are playing a close game and one team isn't as good at timing power weapons that it wont make a difference in the outcome of the game. Knowing that a power weapon comes up every 3 minutes isn't a "skill" but remembering and keeping track of the in game time to be at the spawn when the weapon drops is a definite skill, and could decide the outcome of a close game.

The game looks smooth and polished, but it just feels so forced. I’ve been trying to quantify what it is exactly and I think the bottom line is that they are simply trying too hard. It’s like they are paying lip service to all of these check boxes for “competitive” players and “classic” Halo. I would imagine a bot scanning the internet Halo forums would come up with the same list of words to check off:

Power weapons, Timing, BXR, Fast Strafe, 4 shotted, arena maps

And like a bot, they have the buzzwords but absolutely no grasp of why they matter or what they mean in a broader context. They have “4 –shotted” on the kill feed, but that makes it feel like I need to be shown every time someone 4 shots. They give you a BXR medal, but again that only serves to cheapen the engagement. People want to miss shots and have skillful aiming, so they keep thrusters and sprint.  

Maybe my own enjoyment of Halo is different from most other players, but I find Halo to be at its best when the game leaves me alone to succeed or fail. I don’t need the game constantly prodding me in one direction or another; give me a skill based sandbox and let me play. None of the things they are adding actually improve the competitive merit of the game; absolutely none.

Give me a fast strafe, give me consistent weapons, give me faster kill times, give me less aim assist. I don’t want or need an announcer constantly shouting at me about how good I’m doing or where to go next. I don’t need indicators flashing around the screen all the time. I don’t need five medals popping up every time I kill someone. I want a clean, polished game to be an individual in. They're trying to replicate the feeling of callouts and lanning and parties in the game, and it just doesn't work.

It’s like when a country that doesn’t speak your language tries to replicate one of your favorite movies.  You can tell they’re trying really hard, and they have all the elements that technically match the original, but it always falls laughably short. I feel like if 343 could, they would have my Xbox high-fiving me after each kill. It's one giant patronization.

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It takes the same amount of skill as knowing where the power weapons are, ie no skill.

No?

Just because you know when something is going to come up doesn't mean you know what to do about it

People lose focus all the time, tunnel on chasing a kill, when in reality they should have let him go and beeline the item

Sometimes people tilt hard when they're losing and lose track of the clock entirely, next thing you know they have 10 seconds to get to sniper and they're crossmap from it

First game I played I ended up playing with Naded. Jesus.

Sprint feels pretty useless, but the map felt really large (played on Truth).

Also AR felt powerful. Ended up using is more than the pistol. The SMG didn't feel as powerful as I thought it was. Maybe it's just because I'm bad, haha.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No?

Just because you know when something is going to come up doesn't mean you know what to do about it

People lose focus all the time, tunnel on chasing a kill, when in reality they should have let him go and beeline the item

Sometimes people tilt hard when they're losing and lose track of the clock entirely, next thing you know they have 10 seconds to get to sniper and they're crossmap from it

Someone brought up this point a while back..

Coaches in tournaments pretty much tell everyone the timers..

The announcer pretty much emulates a coach. 

Sprint seems unneeded.

Because it is to be honest I like it for campaign but if it's gonna fucking ruin multiplayer for me then I rather not have it

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone brought up this point a while back..

Coaches in tournaments pretty much tell everyone the timers..

The announcer pretty much emulates a coach. 

Doesn't the announcer only say 10 seconds until its up?  Teams need to know a lot earlier than 10 seconds that the power weapons are coming up.  Still need to know the respawn timers and definitely earlier than 10 seconds.

Doesn't the announcer only say 10 seconds until its up?  Teams need to know a lot earlier than 10 seconds that the power weapons are coming up.  Still need to know the respawn timers and definitely earlier than 10 seconds.

Think he says 30 seconds beforehand. 

Sprint is pointless. Just increase base movement speed.

Also this may be nitpicking but I'm not a fan of the music that plays every time you die.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Mechanical there isn't anything that needs to be changed, other than adding and removing things." -Ninja

Ninja's honeymoon phases are pretty intense. Personal Ordnance was going to take competitive Halo to another level at one time.

• Upvote (+1) 2

But how are they suppose to beat bad kids 50-10 when they actually get a power weapon occasionally!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ninja's honeymoon phases are pretty intense. Personal Ordnance was going to take competitive Halo to another level at one time.

lol yea it is right now. He's a good pro but he knows absolutely nothing about balancing and Halo mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 2

After watching Heinz play, here's my constructive feedback.

1) resize maps, get rid of sprint.

2) get rid of ADS

3) have playlist w/ no Spartan abilities

4) get rid of hover, get ghandi hop back

5) get rid of the announcer - sounds terrible, like nails on a chalk board; I'm OK w/ weapon timers, just make the call outs more benign and not so faux dramatic

6) get rid of 90% of the medals

7) get rid of the dude-bro attitude stuff (high fives and crap, overall attitude and fee), so cheesy and trashy

8) most other stuff looks good enough, aiming looks good.

As is currently, this is a no-preorder, campaign only buy and resell product more me.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sniper is like Halo 3's with the kick. I like it, you either go for the headshot or get your team to clean up the body shot

With the increased mobility/faster kill-times the sniper should be closer to H1's than H3's in my opinion. The rifles shoot so fast(especially the DMR) the sniper's RoF is just way too slow right now to keep up(you shouldn't get only one shot to no-scope an AR rusher) and the kickback is counter-intuitive in a heavy movement oriented game like H5 will be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also this may be nitpicking but I'm not a fan of the music that plays every time you die.

Oh fuck me. Why do they make it so hard for me to enjoy their game? Sometimes it feels like they try to hype you up so you care (static timers) and then they just throw shit at you to make you feel bad about the game (ads, sprint, this shit). I just wanna enjoy a new halo game ffs.

From what I have been watching/reading I honestly don't mind not being able to play atm.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why are you able to get top control so quick?

-Spawn bottom red/blue? Sprint bottom and jump top mid.

-Spawn top red/blue? Sprint and jump top mid.

-Spawn P1? There's a lift to P2.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This just isn't true, you can't tell me if 2 evenly matched teams are playing a close game and one team isn't as good at timing power weapons that it wont make a difference in the outcome of the game. Knowing that a power weapon comes up every 3 minutes isn't a "skill" but remembering and keeping track of the in game time to be at the spawn when the weapon drops is a definite skill, and could decide the outcome of a close game.

No?

You guys aren't getting it. Of course it takes skill to get those weapons from competent teams, I'm not arguing against that. Nobody is. What we're saying is that it takes zero skill to buy a timer and hit start when the game boots. That has nothing to do with skill and for you to tell me I'm wrong tells me you're either misunderstanding the point or you're incapable of understanding it. All Halo 5 does is include the timer for you and hit start, big deal. I mean are you just angry that some casual players will have a heads up without investing money in a timer like you did? That's moronic. Nobody is gaining an extra advantage unless the information was hidden from your team or something, which it isn't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Prophet's Bane needs to be redesigned; the speed boost combined with sprint and thrust makes it too powerful. And it burns my eyes.

Flinch needs to go away

Sniper Rifle (and other weapon zooms) should not be delayed.

Base movement speed should be increased.

Need to be able to shoot while thrusting.

Way too much visual noise (especially on Truth), same with audio. Imagine how annoying it will be to hear "peeerrrrfect" after every four-shot during pro games.

I'm pretty convinced based on the newest FPS games that have come out/are coming out (CoD:AW, Halo 5, etc.) that I am just getting too old for FPS games and the games are targeted at someone younger than me. And I'm only 21. Scary.

Time to get a PC man

Play arma, cs, there are so many options

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Mechanical there isn't anything that needs to be changed, other than adding and removing things." -Ninja

I hate all his opinions on Halo. All of them.

• Upvote (+1) 3