CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So, good news (so far):

For those of you with TWC issues, apparently the fix is getting a $60 Zoom Docsis 3.0 modem. 

I had my friend play a game of BtB, and there wasn't a single instance of lag.

Now, a few weeks ago, before it got REALLY bad, I could play for an hour or so a night without lag, but then every game after that would lag and force me off. A few days ago I lagged literally every game. EVERY game. 

Not this one tonight.

SO, I think it's fixed, but I will be playing a good long night of Arena with some of you folks tomorrow night to test it for real.

@@Moa, @@Batchford, @, @@Sorbin + any other Onyx bros, let's play tomorrow! I'm ready to grind some Arena now.

:prayers:  :weback:

Awesome! I might not be on tomorrow much since its NYE but I'll be on this weekend a good amount. 

Are you ignoring this question?

How exactly does being able to fly across the map add to the game when we spawn with such a weak spawn weapon?

1. No, I answered it. People have made classic settings many, many times, including myself. I even have NSA CTF in my fileshare.

2. What does a weak spawn weapon have to do with the ability to fly across the map?

Fuck I would love this to be in Arena

Scaling's so messed up on the top floor. Like... Jesus. That map would need serious tweaks before it would be introduced into Arena. 

Post Post Edit: On top of that, someone else mentioned peek-shooting being prevalent, which it would be, given how corner/corridor-centric Countdown is. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are no intricacies in H5 that can offset the shallowness brought by killtimes longer than one second, in addition to players spawning with sprint+thrust as base abilities.

You don't need to play or spectate any gameplay footage to understand this. It's funny how some try using this as a point of shame. I am PROUD to not have violated my X1's disc drive with the filth that is H5 this long after launch.

okay lol. I guess the game having probably the strongest amount of reversals a Halo has had besides h1, How this game is way less team shot centric compared to h3, h2 or reach, how the game has exploits/mechanics that are pretty much only for aggression (Super slide, Thrust slide, Fastfall, Thrust Cancel,  etc) Where you have to be smart about it (losing Thrust in a battle is a bad move.) How unlike in H2, H3 or Reach you can take much bigger risks (aka, aggressive behavior) and come out on top because of new abilities. Thrust You cant throw it early in the battle or too late. Do it at the right time or you're messing yourself up But I guess since the game has sprint and thruster it cant have any depth at all.  

Because lets be honest, H2 early release did not have this much depth to it in the first 2 months, nor did h3 nor did Reach. I don't think this game is uber competitive, I don't think any Halo game is in general but this game does have some depth to it. At least more than most Halos. It's actually funny, this game is actually the game with probably the most execution necessary for a Halo game  besides maybe H1. Super slides are going to be necessary at high level play and some of those are hard as hell to do, the only similar thing in a Halo game was double shot and even that wasn't used a lot. This time though, everyone is learning it.

And no one cares that you didn't buy Halo 5 yet. Like for real, do you want us to hand you a cookie for not buying a video game?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Scaling's so messed up on the top floor. Like... Jesus. That map would need serious tweaks before it would be introduced into Arena. 

Post Post Edit: On top of that, someone else mentioned peek-shooting being prevalent, which it would be, given how corner/corridor-centric Countdown is. 

Scaling looks fucked everywhere.

And the idea to use all those individual cable pieces as windows looks so messy. I hope he at least put an invisible blocker over them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

okay lol. I guess the game having probably the strongest amount of reversals a Halo has had besides h1.

Personally, Reach had 3x as many reversal's per game then Halo 5, especially with people actually sticking withe DMR instead of going balls deep with automatics all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personally, Reach had 3x as many reversal's per game then Halo 5, especially with people actually sticking withe DMR instead of going balls deep with automatics all the time.

Reach zbns as fun as it was, had an easy rifle with a horrid strafe and no other options. Once you hit high Onyx in this game, there's an apparent change in how players use Thruster in battles and it seriously screws with your aim. I went against Liquid in tournament and their strafes with Thruster are at that point where you have to reorient yourself a second and figure out where to aim sometimes. In reach if you weren't shooting a 5sk or 6sk you were getting stumped. Even Formal said a lot of the times in Reach zbns it was a first see kills scenario (not to the extreme but you get the point). At least in this game when you are 1 shot, you are still a thread (especially when you use thrust at the right time)

Also, as much circle jerky everyone here is with Autos (I totally agree they need a nerf or pistol needs a buff), high level in general has a low amount of auto kills. Audley did a stat check and in a set only 6% were auto kills. No where near the amount you would guess after reading these forums. I don't even see a lot of Autos in 1900-2000 Onyx and Champion level in Team Arena (high onyx in Slayer, doubles, etc don't count since that's easy to get)

. I suck at this game and when I go against them (i usually run with competitors so they're all 1900+ while I'm 1600+) I'm practically for the most part always losing to Pistols or a rifle. And even with the easy rifles I see a lot of missed shots as easy as the BR is. Empire is the one map I think autos are ridiculous that is in tournament play and that's mainly because of storm rifles.

Scaling looks fucked everywhere.

And the idea to use all those individual cable pieces as windows looks so messy. I hope he at least put an invisible blocker over them.

It does look messy, yes. I just cringe at the people suggesting he make ALL the map remakes in the comments. I mean, he got a "basic" idea of it down, but man. He NEEDS to learn proper scaling into different Halo titles, on top of more efficient/aesthetically pleasing designs. .-.

It does look messy, yes. I just cringe at the people suggesting he make ALL the map remakes in the comments. I mean, he got a "basic" idea of it down, but man. He NEEDS to learn proper scaling into different Halo titles, on top of more efficient/aesthetically pleasing designs. .-.

Well aren't you a critic :p

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't you have that Chill-Out remake to finish?

You mean that properly scaled, aesthetically pleasing Chill Out to finish?

Absolutely

Fuck I would love this to be in Arena

Oh god please not Countdown. If we're introducing legacy Halo maps don't pick them from Reach...

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Oh god please not Countdown. If we're introducing legacy Halo maps don't pick them from Reach...

Yeah, Countdown was a meh map that looked good when mixed in with a lot of crappy ones. It still amazes me that the same developer who made CE, H2, & H3 didn't make one good map in Reach. It's actually impressive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly, its basically the greatest map remake of all time

You know my initial comment wasn't to attack you, but to push you to continue doing it so I could see the final product, right?

You know my initial comment wasn't to attack you, but to push you to continue doing it so I could see the final product, right?

In due time child

(Or when @@GreatCesari stops beating me to all the remakes)

Some maps like Countdown don't really need to be made 100% identical to the original with respect to scaling, etc in order to play well. In fact, they can often even be improved. For example, the original actually had a lot of death-timer areas up the top which were also quite cluttered and distracting, and this remake looks like it has omitted those which is a good thing. I reckon this remake looks pretty good, even with some of the rather large scaling changes. The aesthetics are also pretty good as far as forge maps go. So yeah, I'd welcome maps like these into the game, they can't be worse than most of the crap 343 gave you.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah, Countdown was a meh map that looked good when mixed in with a lot of crappy ones. It still amazes me that the same developer who made CE, H2, & H3 didn't make one good map in Reach. It's actually impressive.

Didn't people like Anchor 9? Or is it just an MLG map because its symmetrical?

I honestly don't have an opinion on the first two DLC map packs for Reach, since I barely ever played on them.

The changes occurring within that studio between each title were probably crazier than we ever realized, especially after H3.