CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The grenades in this game are literally fucking Jesus. They have so much reach and so much AOE, and even with thruster you're completely fucked when they come your way.

It's like they're fucking nuclear pinballs.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Jawshe's post in the aiming settings thread nails it down:

His post does not align with my experience at all ... aim accel definitely matters and is noticeable in close-range 1v1 battles and in complex team-shooting situations (when you're quickly turning from one opponent to another).  I agree that for fine-tuned aiming, in a mid-range 1v1 battle, aim accel doesn't have much of an effect, but it's simply not true that aim accel only matters for doing 180 turns or whatever.  

Of course I tried the extremes of the look acceleration. The AIM SMOOTHING curve changes 0%. The TURNING SPEED changes plenty.

The main problem with aiming in this game deals with aim smoothing, not look acceleration. Removing dead zones helps but it's just a moderate help. Aim smoothing is unaffected, and remains the worst part of the aiming.

Saying the aiming isn't helped at all isn't correct, and I'll never claim that. However, saying the curve at which typical, non-pegged 100% aiming is helped is totally false. It's the same shit and in pistol or BR battles, the aiming is damn near the same as the pre patch levels. Only difference is deadzones, look acceleration has nothing to do with it.

Sure, I guess the issue is that (for me) removing the inner deadzone fixes the slight issues I had with H5 aiming; now it feels fine to me.  I understand that it may not feel that way to other people

The grenades in this game are literally fucking Jesus. They have so much reach and so much AOE, and even with thruster you're completely fucked when they come your way.

It's the trajectory of the random ass bounces they get. It's like they have aim assist.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Yes, my friends and I used to connect two Xboxes and run 8-player Halo 3 customs at parties, and we had people who had never touched video games wanting to try it out. Halo has lost that party game feel more and more ever since Reach (where the game lost its simplicity, became less casual friendly, and the splitscreen stopped working properly).

It was just like nothing else on the market. 

Still not as bad as Reach beta.

Saving the world from aliens = fucking awesome.

Being able to connect two xbox's together and have 8+ player CTF Blood Gulch was also quite a rare event for me back then and it was extremely exciting. No other game had those feels until Halo 2, and even then we'd switch between them. Even the most casual tourist gamer was down for a Halo LAN back then.

Now I get excited if find a game in under 10 mins in more than 1 playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now I get excited if find a game in under 10 mins in more than 1 playlist.

I've started playing with the guys here now. I'd rather US/European host and 10 second search times than 15 minute search with Australian Server.

Slayer KDA: 4.8

Friends Slayer KDA: 1.3

We played all 10 games together.

He got Diamond 6 I got Diamond 3. 

Wut...

I had a lower KDA and lost MORE games on my alt and got Onyx.

I regret saying the ranking system makes any sense and I fully admit I was wrong. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm so sad and annoyed that FFA doesn't have a shooting skill gap anymore. It's literally either people crouching around with storm rifles or someone with a weapon better than yours 95% of the time.

8-man was nowhere as bad, just the spawns (which are still bad in 6-man)

And of course, as I recorded a clip of me getting spawn killed in 6-man FFA, the game crashed. I'm beyond done at this exact moment.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm so sad and annoyed that FFA doesn't have a shooting skill gap anymore. It's literally either people crouching around with storm rifles or someone with a weapon better than yours 95% of the time.

And of course, as I recorded a clip of me getting spawn killed in 6-man FFA, the game crashed. I'm beyond done at this exact moment.

BR Starts.

Hell every gametype should be BR Starts

I've been wanting to upload my latest FFA that I won by camping the tower in Empire with an SMG/shotgun for no less than half of my kills, but the theater system and the DVR won't allow me.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Especially since Overgrowth is weighted and comes up half the time. Overgrowth FFA is a vicious cycle of dying to a sword, then a rail gun, then a shotgun.

BR Starts literally wont fix anything, the BR is very forgiving when it comes to bullet magnetism. I wouldn't be suprised if camping were to increase. The meta of the game is just fucked in this game straight up. IMO it would just be better to blanket nerf the autos in Arena, than to add in BR starts and "call it a day".

BR Starts literally wont fix anything, the BR is very forgiving when it comes to bullet magnetism. I wouldn't be suprised if camping were to increase. The meta of the game is just fucked in this game straight up. IMO it would just be better to blanket nerf the autos in Arena, than to add in BR starts and "call it a day".

Give my my damn Enchiladas. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fuck BR starts. 343 should just buff the pistol, nerf the automatics, and nerf the bullet magnetism on all of the weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 1

His post does not align with my experience at all ... aim accel definitely matters and is noticeable in close-range 1v1 battles and in complex team-shooting situations (when you're quickly turning from one opponent to another).  I agree that for fine-tuned aiming, in a mid-range 1v1 battle, aim accel doesn't have much of an effect, but it's simply not true that aim accel only matters for doing 180 turns or whatever.  

Sure, I guess the issue is that (for me) removing the inner deadzone fixes the slight issues I had with H5 aiming; now it feels fine to me.  I understand that it may not feel that way to other people

If you don't have a problem with the aiming, then I envy that. And there is no doubt in my mind there are plenty of people who are fine with the aiming. But the aiming is slippery and unresponsive and there is no getting around that. I like my Dodge Stratus but it is not a fast car.

• Upvote (+1) 1

BR Starts.

BRs are the last thing we need to put an emphasis on the shooting skill gap...

The problems with this sandbox need to be attacked at the core. Nerfing the stupid automatics (ESPECIALLY IF RADAR IS STAYING IN COMPETITIVE), the sniper, buffing the pistol are the most obvious things right now. Ignoring the rest and just putting BRs would have the same effect as lowering 8-man FFA to 6-man did. You might help one thing a little, but 5 others will be broken in the process.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Fuck BR starts. 343 should just buff the pistol, nerf the automatics, and nerf the bullet magnetism on all of the weapons.

I honestly don't think the autos need a nerf if the pistol is changed to a 4 shot with the same rof. Maybe just slightly reduce the range of the storm rifle and smg.

If you don't have a problem with the aiming, then I envy that. And there is no doubt in my mind there are plenty of people who are fine with the aiming. But the aiming is slippery and unresponsive and there is no getting around that. I like my Dodge Stratus but it is not a fast car.

I agree 100% that it's not as perfectly smooth as H1/H2 (also I should add that H3 has always felt weirdly sluggish/annoying to me) but for whatever reason I feel very comfortable with H5 aiming.  It reminds me of H4 MCC, very fluid.  Either way, I hope they add a toggle to adjust H5 aiming (removing v-sync or whatever) so everyone can enjoy it

Although I certainly have my issues with the tactics in FFA in this game, in the 10 or so games I've played since the patch, I can say that I prefer 6 man to 8 man FFA.

It's so much more deterministic. My kills stay mine more often, there are fewer random grenade kills, there are more options present in movement, and all those factors lead to the person playing the game better ending up with the win more often.

It does suck when people inevitably quit and it turns into 4 or 5 man FFA, but it's a better experience to me to have fewer people on the map rather than 8. I'd rather have more intentional, deliberate fights rather than having 5 seconds to get a kill off of spawn before getting shot in the back.

• Upvote (+1) 3

(ESPECIALLY IF RADAR IS STAYING IN COMPETITIVE)

I honestly want to take a flight down to 343 industries and shake all of the people and ask them why radar is in competitive. And I want to shake them again and ask why our radar is tiny as hell for all of the non-competitive gametypes. 

I just shake my head sometimes and wonder if these people have even watched old competitive gameplay. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree 100% that it's not as perfectly smooth as H1/H2 (also I should add that H3 has always felt weirdly sluggish/annoying to me) but for whatever reason I feel very comfortable with H5 aiming.  It reminds me of H4 MCC, very fluid.  Either way, I hope they add a toggle to adjust H5 aiming (removing v-sync or whatever) so everyone can enjoy it

There needs to be a few levels of adjustment for aim smoothing.

Now, I know why 343 introduced the aim smoothing post beta. It's because they highlighted the pistol as a difficult to use spawn weapon. They were afraid that people were going to find the pistol too jarring and twitchy for bad players. I think that's similar to the approach with the H3 BR. It had low aim assist, so they smoothed over the aiming to help people out.

But we need an option for good players that can control their reticle to allow for a more precise way of aiming. We need it so badly. So I agree with you there.