CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Holiday Doubles in general needs an overhaul. These maps and all these power weapons really detriment the true doubles experience. They spawn entirely too frequently for these slow paced games. Eden for example, by the time I finish emptying out rockets, new rockets/sniper is about to respawn in about 10 seconds. They need to put less ammo in these weapons (2 rockets, maybe 8 sniper shots max), or switch out some of these weapons for a Plasma Caster.

Sounds easy on paper but just like Halo 4, we can't modify the amount of ammo a weapon spawns with from a weapon pad.

Sounds easy on paper but just like Halo 4, we can't modify the amount of ammo a weapon spawns with from a weapon pad.

I know, and that's my biggest issue. This is something that was thought of 7 years ago, and I don't understand why things like this aren't in this game. 

There are all these things I wish we could do that we've done years and years and years ago but they just refuse to put these features in the game.

Just played 4 games.  3 in a row were wins but were not recorded, one loss did.

Awesome.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know, and that's my biggest issue. This is something that was thought of 7 years ago, and I don't understand why things like this aren't in this game. 

There are all these things I wish we could do that we've done years and years and years ago but they just refuse to put these features in the game.

Yupppp. It's something that was complained about a fair bit with Halo 4's ordnance drops, too.

So hilarious that when overgrowth comes up half the lobby quits the build lol.

Honestly hope that 343 tracks which maps have the worst player retention. I would think this should send a stronger message than veto/voting stats ever could.

Honestly hope that 343 tracks which maps have the worst player retention. I would think this should send a stronger message than veto/voting stats ever could.

I guarantee they have. Wouldn't be surprised if that was a main reason for Orion's removal outside of the exploit. From my Week 1 experience that was the map where my teammates would usually quit.

I truly don't understand why you got negd. What you said is absolutely true. The competitive playlist in h4 (Team Throw Down I think the name was) regularly had a population of double digits representing under 1%.

Because people here don't like it when you don't conform to their agenda.

It's extremely "hilarious" in the FFA playlist that has a max of 6 people. 90% of overgrowth FFA matches, are 4 people max...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a few questions regarding gametypes for HWC:

1) Will gametypes be cut down to 11 total like usual, or just kept being added to and we'll end up having >20 (there are 16 gametypes atm not including breakout or Overgrowth (ew)) 1.1) Would you guys want 11 only? or more like 14?

2) How is 343 deciding on the gametypes that are put in/stay? I think the selection is a bit messed up atm, with Regret and Fathom only having 1 gametype each, yet Empire and Coliseum have 3 each...If anything I think every map should have 1 Objective and 1 TS in order to test it fairly...on that note:

3) Why are we still using 50% TS 50% Obj? Do we all agree that 33% TS, 33% CTF, 33% SH would be a better representation of skill? (and more enjoyable)

4) Does anyone actually want breakout or Overgrowth in rotation?

5) WHEN ARE WE GETTING ODDBALL!?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I have to give it to 343 on this point...

As a person who has never forged anything since Halo 3 considering I suck at it.... This forge is absolutely amazing.

I will admit the buttons were extremely throwing me off at first haha. But after you get the hang of it, it's very VERY clean. I can honestly say this without a doubt the best experience I'm having so far on this game. Me and my doubles partner have been sitting here forging (remixing to suit a Halo game) a Team Fortress 2 map and we didn't realize that it has been about 3 hours since we started. 

I can honestly say.. I'm having fun for once on this game. Kudos 343.

The amount of precision you can add to the structures are amazing. I work on a 3D modeling engine for my job and it's extremely identical in a lot of regards, such as precisely modifying the Roll, Pitch, and Yaw and X/Y/Z units. Makes it very simple to space things properly.

1) Will gametypes be cut down to 11 total like usual, or just kept being added to and we'll end up having >20 (there are 16 gametypes atm not including breakout or Overgrowth (ew)) 1.1) Would you guys want 11 only? or more like 14?

2) How is 343 deciding on the gametypes that are put in/stay? I think the selection is a bit messed up atm, with Regret and Fathom only having 1 gametype each, yet Empire and Coliseum have 3 each...If anything I think every map should have 1 Objective and 1 TS in order to test it fairly...on that note:

3) Why are we still using 50% TS 50% Obj? Do we all agree that 33% TS, 33% CTF, 33% SH would be a better representation of skill? (and more enjoyable)

1) We don't know.

2) We don't know.

3) I agree, but there aren't enough obj. variants yet, and Flag/Strongholds only work on different maps.

4) I'm ok with Breakout. Though we don't know if we're sticking with the OG version, or the Arena variant.

5) We don't know.

My ideal rotation:

CTF: Fathom, Coliseum, Truth, Empire

Strongholds: Eden, Plaza, Regret, Rig

TS: Eden, Truth, Plaza, Rig

Breakout: Altitude, Gambol, Trident

I have to give it to 343 on this point...

As a person who has never forged anything since Halo 3 considering I suck at it.... This forge is absolutely amazing.

I will admit the buttons were extremely throwing me off at first haha. But after you get the hang of it, it's very VERY clean. I can honestly say this without a doubt the best experience I'm having so far on this game. Me and my doubles partner have been sitting here forging (remixing to suit a Halo game) a Team Fortress 2 map and we didn't realize that it has been about 3 hours since we started. 

I can honestly say.. I'm having fun for once on this game. Kudos 343.

The amount of precision you can add to the structures are amazing. I work on a 3D modeling engine for my job and it's extremely identical in a lot of regards, such as precisely modifying the Roll, Pitch, and Yaw and X/Y/Z units. Makes it very simple to space things properly.

Make koth_nucleus.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I imagine they'll cut a few of the more complained-about gametypes (Coli StrongHolds, Trench Breakout), but doubt they'll cut anything more than they feel is absolutely necessary. I would expect to have at least 16 gametypes, especially if Overgrowth makes it in.

It's probably a mix of pro player feedback, and their internal testing with the pro-team. I also imagine they are trying to show off as much of their game as possible in HWC (hence the wide selection of gametypes, and a few of the more questionable gametypes remaining in the rotation).

Agreed. I know everyone is attached to the old OBJ/TS/OBJ and OBJ/OBJ/TS/OBJ/TS formats, but CTF/SH/TS and CTF/SH/CTF/SH/TS would be infinitely better, IMO. TS in this game should be used as a tiebreaker and nothing more.

Some people have talked positively about breakout, others want it gone. Altitude Arena Breakout has some potential and I'm sure Overgrowth SH will at least be tried, but It wouldn't break my heart if Breakout was removed wholesale and Overgrowth was thrown off a cliff.

SoonTM. A lot of people would rather see Bomb/Extraction first, and some think Oddball will play poorly with the added movement options. We'll probably see it eventually, though.

And lets be honest with ourselves, ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO BRAG ABOUT BEING CHAMPION X IN SEASON X? Nope.

Gladiators in wow arena would like to have a word with you. But yes I agree there's a lot wrong with this matchmaking.

Makekoth_nucleus.

That's actually not a bad freaking idea. Man we've been forging for so long I didn't realize I haven't eaten yet. I'm thoroughly enjoying this. 

It's all a giant placebo effect lol. I've tried all of the settings, and done short adjustments and really, really tried to feel a difference in the aim smoothing of each setting.

There is zero difference until you peg the stick and begin to turn. Zero. People that think the look accel changes the aiming responsiveness or acceleration curve of pistol or BR battles are totally wrong.

I'm sure there is a way with someone with the appropriate software to go out and prove it, but I don't think people care enough. For all of the shit that the aiming has been given, I'm shocked that everyone called off the dogs when 343 failed to deliver. On this freaking forum no less.

People bitch about literally everything in this game, and the one central mechanic that totally objectively blows, we give them a pass as to make sure they never have to address it again.

I'll never understand this forum.

I thought that we came to the consensus that the aiming really just sucks, regardless of the advanced control settings 343 "gave" to us? The only advanced setting that positively impacted my aiming was dropping the inner deadzone from its default value to 0% (albeit that change only improved my aiming slighty). 

I understand that this game has lower aim magnetism, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it feels damn near impossible to make fine, precise movements with the joystick without fighting the controller or having the controller speed up and have the reticle fly away from the enemy. Don't get me wrong I have gotten more perfect kills than I did post-patch, but I've never had this much problem aiming with other Halo games and in other console games in general. If I boot up Halo CE or H2A, I can keep the reticle on my enemy and have confidence in where my bullets go, but in this game I just cannot for the life of me feel confident in my gun. I've began to take this game a lot less seriously because if a triple-A studio who creates FPS (first person shooter) games can't nail the FREAKING AIMING, I just lose a bit of respect. I really don't know why 343 feels the burning urge to "reinvent the wheel" and change things that aren't broken.

I'm convinced I know why the 9 people on my friends list dropped this game day one and it is because they can't even aim and it is not in their control, I really don't know why else they would leave my friends list is very halo-oriented. Your know I can deal with not having multiple playlists, I can deal with being drip-fed content over 6+ months, I can deal with having no different gametypes except slayer variants, I can deal with having an uber-competitive game with 9/10 sweaty matches. But if I CANT aim for the LIFE OF ME, that is where I draw the line.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Overgrowth isn't even a bad map. The weapon placements are just bad.

Overgrowth feels like it was trying to be Rat Race, but forgot to add teleporters. Seriously considering adding two sets of 2-Way portals to the map and replacing the Sword with an Overshield, just to see how it plays.

Literally all you have to do on overgrowth is get sword control and make sure your team controls the shotty as well. As long as your teammate with the sword isn't a complete boob, and can hold onto it and control when it spawns its essentially game over.

Overgrowth hands down is a very poorly executed CQC map.

The gaming nerds on reddit are all about nostalgia (DAE remember this game?) doesn't really surprise me

Reddit enjoys the past Halos but they don't want to entertain the thought, that the original and refined formula *might* be better than the bastardized clone we have now. "DAE EVOLUTION?" we've evolved so much to the point where I feel like I am playing a completely different IP. I don't mind the little comestic improvements and aesthetic changes that have no real impact over core gameplay. Like Smart-Link without the headshot bonuses for automatics and such, but I just feel like I am playing futuristic shooter #5933 and not Halo, but hey... to each their own.