CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Yeah, I feel a bit confused on this point. I understand the want for social so if you screw around you won't lose rank, but still getting appropriate skill pair ups seem alright to me. i dunno, maybe they could make skill matches less strict, but perhaps not do away with it entirely.

Why are you confused? The post I posted lays out the points very clearly.

Look at it this way. When I played the MCC with my wife( who is terrible) we played social and lost a lot. Probably about half our games. Sometimes we got blown out. Sometimes we blew the other team out. Some games it was close. That allowded it to be fun. If we lost half our games and they were all nail bitters id probably stop playing with her because it wouldn't be fun. Constant, close, competitive games fuel a competitive fire. In a social setting you don't want every game to be competitive.

Even if this game had split screen we wouldn't play this game. Wed play BLops 3 because even h5's social playlists are too competitive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Overgrowth is possibly one of the worst halo maps to exist... i don't understand why they would add so many close quarter weapons along with camo. They have pro team testing these maps and still can't do things right blows my mind. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

"Good MM" is subjective.

Constant 50-49 games are good if you are a competitive player. Otherwise its not. Right next to a lack of content the biggest complaint I see about h5 is that it is too competitive.

Having ranked and social both geared towards the same people is nonsensical.

Look at it this way. When I played the MCC with my wife( who is terrible) we played social and lost a lot. Probably about half our games. Sometimes we got blown out. Sometimes we blew the other team out. Some games it was close. That allowded it to be fun. If we lost half our games and they were all nail bitters id probably stop playing with her because it wouldn't be fun. Constant, close, competitive games fuel a competitive fire. In a social setting you don't want every game to be competitive.

Even if this game had split screen we wouldn't play this game. Wed play BLops 3 because even h5's social playlists are too competitive.

It sounds you're the one at fault here, not the game.

A close match isn't automatically competitive, you're the one making it competitive by getting worked up and being concerned about the result. The point of a social playlist is that you don't have to worry about the end result; whether or not you win is irrelevant.

Being pub stomped on is never fun. The fact that you lost doesn't matter but the previous 5-10 minutes of playing were shit because you were constantly dying and couldn't get any kills. Not having pub stomps is a very good thing.

On the other hand having a close match and losing is still fun in social because you don't have to care about the end result but you still had a good game. The losing players weren't constantly being destroyed and could have actually had a fun match.

Basically the end result doesn't matter, but a close game is far more fun for the losing team than being pub stomped on.

Stop worrying about whether you win or lose. Don't get sweaty towards the end and camp in the corner with a shotgun, instead go for the 360 noscope; It's a social match regardless of whether it's close or not, treat it like one.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I suppose my assumption is that for social one would want it to be somewhat skill matched, but significantly less strict compared to your ranked playlist. My confusion more starts on: Is complete random matching or just very loose matching best for social? Though I'm still on the same page as you that the skill match ups are way too strict for this to be a proper social playlist.

The point of a social playlist is that you don't have to worry about the end result; whether or not you win is irrelevant.

...you don't have to care about the end result but you still had a good game.

Stop worrying about whether you win or lose. Don't get sweaty towards the end

Were it so easy. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

An undo button in forge would be helpful.  I've deleted my bases so many times because I'm dumb.

Yeah the lack of undo is kinda annoying.

One workaround is to constantly quicksave though.

Just make sure you already 'saved as' the map, if you don't, it doesn't auto generate the saved file.

Just pretend you're really playing Fallout...

• Upvote (+1) 1

It sounds you're the one at fault here, not the game.

A close match isn't automatically competitive, you're the one making it competitive by getting worked up and being concerned about the result. The point of a social playlist is that you don't have to worry about the end result; whether or not you win is irrelevant.

Being pub stomped on is never fun. The fact that you lost doesn't matter but the previous 5-10 minutes of playing were shit because you were constantly dying and couldn't get any kills. Not having pub stomps is a very good thing.

On the other hand having a close match and losing is still fun in social because you don't have to care about the end result but you still had a good game. The losing players weren't constantly being destroyed and could have actually had a fun match.

Basically the end result doesn't matter, but a close game is far more fun for the losing team than being pub stomped on.

Stop worrying about whether you win or lose. Don't get sweaty towards the end and camp in the corner with a shotgun, instead go for the 360 noscope; It's a social match regardless of whether it's close or not, treat it like one.

Ok, you are trying to push your subjective opinion of what is fun onto a diverse playerbase of millions. That is obviously ridiculous.

Hoe often in COD(outside of ranked lists) do you feel like every player in the game is roughly the same skill wise? Not often. Why do you think games like COD set up thier MM the way they do? Because they can't figure out how to properly rank people? Because of population issues?

LOL. Obviously not.

COD devs(and every single other console FPS developer except for 343) understand that if you throw every player into constant, tight matches against equally skilled opponenets that the population and popularity of your game will plummet.

Ps yes I do enjoy losing 50-20 more than 50-49. You see this in sports as well. Its much easier to bounce back from being blown out than it is to bounce back from a heart breaking close loss.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Were it so easy.

Seriously. Even drunken pond hockey that doesn't even resemble a game for 95% of its duration will become competitive as soon as the words "next goal wins" are uttered.

Nice I figured spots on the beyond spartan company would never clear up!  @@Moa must have banned like 30 people last night.  :kappa:

Could someone explain the Ultra Rare Rocket Launcher to me? Is there a video of it in action? It says it's a guided rocket and I can assume what that means but I wonder how it actually works. How can you guide this? Is it similar to a perfect dark fly by wire rocket? Or can you fire the rocket and continue to move normally? I ask this cause 343 could very well have been listening for new weapon feedback.

I'm sure either way is fine, but ever since the first footage of the Hyrda came out I expressed my disappointment in how the lock on worked. Seemed a bit too easy to me and I offered an alternative suggestion which would give you complete control of the hydra and allow you to bend them around corners. The game I cited was Nexuiz, a dead arena shooter. You can press the fire button and rapidly fire individual rockets, or you can press and hold the fire button and shoot a single rocket that you can guide in any direction via your right stick. It allowed you to continue to move and build your stack while guiding the rocket, but that's incredibly hard.

So anyway, I posted it a few times throughout the months before I made a video of how it worked in Nexuiz, and sent it to Josh Holmes in a PM here. We didn't talk feedback but he informed me that I accidentally made the video private and he wanted to watch it. So I fixed it, told him, and although I haven't heard back from him, it gathered like 20 right away after it was sent..

So I kinda hope I had some influence, but obviously this could have all been created before I provided my feedback. Only @@Sal1ent would be able to answer that but it kinda motivates me to think of other additions whether it was in Halo or another game. Thanks for adding in some sort of guided rocket as well as this other thing that supposedly allows players to Rocket Jump? Can't wait to try these out. 

Ok, you are trying to push your subjective opinion of what is fun onto a diverse playerbase of millions. That is obviously ridiculous.

And you aren't? You're trying to say people would rather get pub stomped on than have close games. I think that's ridiculous.

I'd much rather have 10 games in a row where I lost 50-49 than 10 in a row where the score was 50-20, even if I won half of those pub stomps.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

What's the opinion of overgrowth? Only played it a few times, seemed like a decent FFA map?

Could be a cool map, but 343 decided to ruin it with the weapon layout. It's kind of like if you took Empire, and instead of putting sniper and rockets on it, and decided that storm rifles, shotguns and a overshield bottom mid was a better idea.

Hold up a sec...

Let me try again. It's kinda like if someone took Chill Out, remade it for Halo 5, and put a rocket launcher, a fuel rod and an incineration cannon all on 2 minute timers.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I suppose my assumption is that for social one would want it to be somewhat skill matched, but significantly less strict compared to your ranked playlist. My confusion more starts on: Is complete random matching or just very loose matching best for social? Though I'm still on the same page as you that the skill match ups are way too strict for this to be a proper social playlist.

Ya. Just looser than ranked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And you aren't? You're trying to say people would rather get pub stomped on than have close games. I think that's ridiculous.

I'd much rather have 10 games in a row where I lost 50-49 than 10 in a row where the score was 50-20, even if I won half of those pub stomps.

Ranked already exists if you want tight, competitive games with equally skilled opponents.

Also way to ignore 3/4 of my post. Well done.

The SPNKr fires way too fast, I think. You can get the second rocket out before the first one even explodes.

Static timers are going to need some work, but I'll try working on them with a couple other people this weekend. All of the methods I've tried so far have had a single game-breaking bug.

I find it counter-intuitive that players have to find a workaround to be able to put items on static timers. You would think that with how much more advanced Halo 5's forge is compared to the other Halo games that it would be more convenient for us to be able to put items on static timers. 

Anyways I hope that you find a workaround for this problem because I would like to see all items on the map be on static timers not just the tier 3 power weapons. I like having every item on the map be on static timers for consistency and clarity.

Let me try again. It's kinda like if someone took Chill Out, remade it for Halo 5, and put a rocket launcher, a fuel rod and an incineration cannon all on 2 minute timers.

@ Take notes, we're gonna be using this for our Chill Out remake. :kappa:

Ranked already exists if you want tight, competitive games with equally skilled opponents.

Also way to ignore 3/4 of my post. Well done.

In ranked whether you win or not is the main concern. In social the main concern is to have a fun game, a pub stomp is not a fun game, a close game can be a fun game regardless of whether you win or lose.

Also I ignored the rest of your post because it was irrelevant, we're talking about Halo, not CoD.

In the kill feed of the new Arena map there's a shotgun.

Map ruined.

I'll just leave this post, which I was negged for by the way, right here.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Could be a cool map, but 343 decided to ruin it with the weapon layout. It's kind of like if you took Empire, and instead of putting sniper and rockets on it, and decided that storm rifles, shotguns and a overshield bottom mid was a better idea.

Hold up a sec...

I'd say.. take OS off completely, switch Camo to OS, but move it slightly closer to Shotty room. Remove rockets, and put sniper under window near dark hall. Remove the shotty and needle ports. Buff the shotgun a million times and we're ready for some good old overgrowth baby.