CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I mentioned this in my beta review video, which I know at least Quinn watched.

It's ridiculous.

Enemy pick up power weapon?

Just have your team spam grenades and get a completely random kill that no one on your team did anything to deserve apart from watch the UI.

The indicators shouldn't appear unless you have direct LOS.

Toxikk has weapon indicators that work far better. Indicators appear only when you're close to the weapon and have line of sight to the weapon spawn point.

And yeah, this completely breaks 1v1.

I'm guessing the pro team tested 4v4 and NOTHING else in this game because I could have told 343 this was a horrible idea within the first 5 seconds of learning about it.

I have no issues with the indicators, but they need to disappear after like 5 seconds, regardless of the weapon being picked up.

Maybe drop spawns will still work.

I'm all about Weapon Pad indicator feedback but please can the Forge community not reinvent Halo 5's weapon system.

Would be super awesome if I could pick up any Forge map and have the same experience (for gold-pro-team-classic-the-future-is-orange maps) as H5 Matchmaking

• Downvote (-1) 1

I'm all about Weapon Pad indicator feedback but please can the Forge community not reinvent Halo 5's weapon system.

Would be super awesome if I could pick up any Forge map and have the same experience (for gold-pro-team-classic-the-future-is-orange maps) as H5 Matchmaking

Functionally, it would be exactly the same. Weapons spawn at the same rate on every current map, and I don't feel there's a need to change that.

My first reaction was "Damn I'd kill for a ODST 2"

but then I realized that it's 343 we're talking about here and their ODST will probably feature S IV's instad of ODSTs and it will be nothing like H3:ODST so I guess we don't need something like that...

Yeah... 343 acts like they get cancer from anything that Bungie made... I could play a match of some mindless warzone in Halo 6, just hopin that p2w microtransactions are gone and the 343 flavour too.. I dont want Halo end as pachinko machines or mobile games that Waypointers and reddit hivemind would defend..
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's an odd request.

The importance and power of weapons is relative to the player count, type of map, and whether vehicles are present or not.

Insisting on default timers and tiers is only going to hamstring creativity, especially for non-4v4 modes like 2v2, 8v8, and FFA.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Imagine if 343 could somehow... finish the content ahead of time... and not run the tests/cert at the last minute... and just have the content waiting to be enabled with the flip of a switch.

Maybe they want to release the new content as soon as possible instead of finishing it and waiting for an arbitrary release date?
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I honestly just want a social playlist like team training or social slayer.  Especially when I have nobody on and have to go in solo or to2 and play to4 onyx in arena all day which is no fun and mentally exhausting.  As stated by various members in here sounds like Warzone is a trainwreck with matching full parties so I'll stay away from that.

Does 343i assume that only kids and younger adults with no obligations play this game?  I don't know about you guys, but I'm an adult that has responsibilities and obligations that prevent from playing this game 8+ hours a day (not that I could anyway) Why do I play the sweatiest people everytime I get on?  Most of the time when I get on it's after work and daily activities (going to gym, family time) for maybe a hour or two a day before I go to bed.  Some nights this game is hardly tolerable with state of matchmaking.

I have no issues with the indicators, but they need to disappear after like 5 seconds, regardless of the weapon being picked up.

The current system is complete over kill.

It tells you how long until the weapon spawns, has the announcer remind you and then has a giant indicator that shows you where it is and when it's picked up.

How the fuck did we go from timing the weapons ourselves - either dynamic or static spawns, to this system where the game literally tells you EVERYTHING about the spawn times?

And competitive players think this is more skilful?!?

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It tells you how long until the weapon spawns, has the announcer remind you and then has a giant indicator that shows you where it is and when it's picked up.

How the fuck did we go from timing the weapons ourselves - either dynamic or static spawns, to this system where the game literally tells you EVERYTHING about the spawn times?

Was playing along with a talking timer ever that skillful to begin with? Does it really matter that much?

I could understand if Halo had item spawns like Quake, but competitive Halo has been using static timers for nearly a decade.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Didn't think mathematics were a skill halo players cared for. You still have dynamic power ups and you have weapons that spawn 10s after a drop anyways. It's not like, or ever has been like quake. We even use a timer in h1

This is one of those things that brings casual players to fight for PWs all the time rather than it being for comp players who looked online for spawn times. Which I guess is dropping in skill? But it's such a minimal factor I'm surprised players cared for it so much.

Honestly I'm kind of whatever on the weapon disappearing, most of the time those weapons that are on pads are contested by me/teammates because we understand their importance so I never really notice the pad disappearing since were generally communicating anyways. I really can't think of a situation where one of us called out an enemy position based on the weapon pad disappearing

• Upvote (+1) 5

As opposed to how skilful using a timer is? To be honest I think this system is more fair for everyone while also retaining some aspect of timing with OS and Camo that isn't exploited by the use of a timer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Maybe they want to release the new content as soon as possible instead of finishing it and waiting for an arbitrary release date?

It gets to a point where as a developer, you have to decide if you want to look competent and not let your consumers chill in the dark for 24-48 hours wondering if an update is coming (and perhaps sometimes making plans that go down the drain because of a lack of communication – ultimately resulting in frustration for them) or if you would rather make random unplanned updates that might not work as expected; something that most people will remember the developers of MCC for... just for the sake of getting the content out as early as possible (even though that might mean delays regardless).

To me, the choice is easy.

You don't leave people guessing for entire days at a time.

I know from firsthand experience how frustrating it is to try and reach out to the devs who are the most invested in the community with an amazing bunch of feedback just to end up having to guess some more whether:

- The feedback has been taken into account

- It has been ignored

- None of them has ACTUALLY seen it

I never have the slightest clue with 343.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Was playing along with a talking timer ever that skillful to begin with? Does it really matter that much?

I could understand if Halo had item spawns like Quake, but competitive Halo has been using static timers for nearly a decade.

I'm not talking about static timers vs dynamic timers. Whether timers are static or dynamic I don't think it matters all that much.

For reference Q3 and UT both use dynamic spawns and those games both take 10X's the skill as Halo so I'll just let that fact speak for itself.

But ignoring that it doesn't matter whether the timers are dynamic or static and I don't even oppose a count down reminder for players too lazy to check the in-game clock.

What I DO strongly oppose is:

"ATTENTION YOUR OPPONENT IS AT THIS EXACT LOCATION ON THE MAP EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NO LINE OF SIGHT ON THEM"

WTF?

So now not only do we not time weapons or power ups ourselves but we also have the game TELL US EXPLICITLY where the opponent is.

On a map with multiple power ups you're not sure which one to go for?

Don't worry! The game will let you know which one remains uncontested.

Do people here seriously not think this is a huge issue?

Maybe it's not game breaking for 4v4 (Although it's still laughable to see in a "competitive" shooter) but it sure as hell breaks the game for 1v1 and 2v2.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not talking about static timers vs dynamic timers. Whether timers are static or dynamic I don't think it matters all that much.

For reference Q3 and UT both use dynamic spawns and those games both take 10X's the skill as Halo so I'll just let that fact speak for itself.

But ignoring that it doesn't matter whether the timers are dynamic or static and I don't even oppose a count down reminder for players too lazy to check the in-game clock.

"ATTENTION YOUR OPPONENT IS AT THIS EXACT LOCATION ON THE MAP EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NO LINE OF SIGHT ON THEM"

WTF?

So now not only do we not time weapons or power ups ourselves but we also have the game TELL US EXPLICITLY where the opponent is.

Maybe it's not game breaking for 4v4 (Although it's still laughable to see in a "competitive" shooter) but it sure as hell breaks the game for 1v1 and 2v2.

From that standpoint, I agree with you. The announcer wouldn't be as bad if there wasn't a visual indicator that tells people when the weapons have been picked up. If it's going to put up a nav point, it should stay there for 2-3 seconds at most regardless of whether the item gets picked up or not, then just fade out.

So did 343 confirm the patch is releasing today or are you all just hoping it does?

The only thing 343 has said about this patch is that it will be releasing the week of the 15th. I think alot of people just saw the 15th and ran with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

WTF?

I dont agree with the timers being skillful, id rather the system be transparent. However, the issue above is a huge deal. Player location knowledge for free is huge. An easy fix would be to just remove the UI altogether once it hits zero seconds left.

As opposed to how skilful using a timer is? To be honest I think this system is more fair for everyone while also retaining some aspect of timing with OS and Camo that isn't exploited by the use of a timer.

Little over-reaction here man. Exploit wouldn't be the first word that comes to mind.

WTF?

I already agreed with you in saying that the waypoint disappearing upon weapon pickup is stupid.

So now not only do we not time weapons or power ups ourselves

I was focused on this point, which seems a little redundant to bring up. Haven't coaches timing weapons for players been a thing for a long-ass time? And haven't weapons been on really simple timers ever since we've been able to modify them?

There shouldnt be any nav marker on any weapons full stop. No previous Halo's had them, for good reason, and it never hindered accessibility.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I was focused on this point, which seems a little redundant to bring up. Haven't coaches timing weapons for players been a thing for a long-ass time? And haven't weapons been on really simple timers ever since we've been able to modify them?

Having coaches in MLG tournaments was always stupid and I hope no other tournament organisation decides to continue the tradition of having someone remind players what they're supposed to be doing in a game they literally get paid to play.

Meanwhile LoL players with 5 players per team and way more things to worry about in game are watching an MLG tournament and scratching their heads wondering why the hell players need a coach in an arena FPS.

The spawn systems through the Halo series has always been wonky. At first it was simple and then Bungie made it way more complicated than it needed to be. The "static" timers introduced in H3 MLG settings were buggy as hell.

The Korean WCG grand finalist in 2004 was penalised for trying to use a watch to time weapons against Zyos and the main reason people wanted a timer for Halo 1 was because the game had no in game clock forcing you to use an external device to time weapons.

Don't get me wrong, having an app time for you was useful but I'd much rather just look at the in game clock and memorise the times myself.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Meanwhile LoL players with 5 players per team and way more things to worry about in game are watching an MLG tournament and scratching their heads wondering why the hell players need a coach in an arena FPS.

Er, they have in game timers. And even the stuff that doesnt have a UI, such as flash, they just copy/paste the times into Notepad on their PCs, or just use their in game chat.

Er, they have in game timers. And even the stuff that doesnt have a UI, such as flash, they just copy/paste the times into Notepad on their PCs, or just use their in game chat.

They only have in game timers for the jungle camps THEY kill or see die.

They're not told when the enemies blue is coming back up or when dragon is coming up again if they didn't see it die.

And they can use text chat, but that's no different to me saying "OS was picked up at 9:20" or "OS comes back in 2 mins at 7:20". The information is useless if no one remembers it 2 minutes later.

I don't care if the UI tells me when a weapon is coming back that my team picked up (assuming dynamic times) I care that players are being given away important information on the position of their opponents for free.