CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

i would heavily argue custom games, it may of been unintentional but the h3 custom game experience was the pinnacle custom game experience of the franchise.

Reach definitely had the superior Custom Games capability and options, but H3 was so classic and memorable because it was innovative. The novelty of coming up with crazy unique UGC for an FPS was very strong w/ Halo 3, but Reach definitely had better tools.

Ummm, WTF dude?

Of course it's a population issue.

The game keeps on searching for games because it's trying to find enough players at your skill level.

The issue is:

1. The game won't allow you to find players outside your region. Even if I WANT to play FFA on laggy American servers the game won't let me because for some reason EVEN THOUGH 343 PROMISED US they released the game without a region filter option for players to turn on and off.

2. The game is way too restrictive on player skill. The game is probably looking for players ranked Diamond or Platinum instead of expanding out to Gold, Diamond, Platinum and Silver and increasing until it finally finds a game.

Tight match making restrictions only work when you have a large enough population.

It's like 343 just copied the system from LoL without even realising the reason it works in LoL is because the game literally has 100X's the player population so they can do whatever the hell they want and still find you a game.

I'm telling you that this is something that happens since day of launch. If it is a population issue, then the population outside US and EU has always been very low, because there are a LOT of complaints about it since October 27. It is not something that started happening only now when the population is lower. Perhaps it's even worse now

Ummm, WTF dude?

Of course it's a population issue.

The game keeps on searching for games because it's trying to find enough players at your skill level.

The issue is:

1. The game won't allow you to find players outside your region. Even if I WANT to play FFA on laggy American servers the game won't let me because for some reason EVEN THOUGH 343 PROMISED US they released the game without a region filter option for players to turn on and off.

2. The game is way too restrictive on player skill. The game is probably looking for players ranked Diamond or Platinum instead of expanding out to Gold, Diamond, Platinum and Silver and increasing until it finally finds a game.

Tight match making restrictions only work when you have a large enough population.

It's like 343 just copied the system from LoL without even realising the reason it works in LoL is because the game literally has 100X's the player population so they can do whatever the hell they want and still find you a game.

Even if 343 fixed this problem in the next 5 minutes the damage is done.

Half the players have probably returned their copies for Fallout 4 when the game didn't ship with the content you'd expect in a Halo game and then the inability to find matches reliably would have been the final nail in the coffin.

The Aussies that still actually play Halo will never touch the FFA playlist again since they've given up after they tried searching 50 times for game without any luck.

Any fix 343 brings out now is too little and WAY too late.

The game has been out for a month and a half now and this has been an issue for us since week 1.

Not sure about your situation, but I never seem to have trouble finding a game when I'm playing with silver, gold, platinum players on my team and I'm 1700 onyx in Arena.  Your issues with restricting skill argument would be more in line to someone that's champion rather than just onyx.  I can find a game when I go in alone or going in with all different divisions.  I do agree that the population is smaller, but from my experience you can still match with silver and above depending who's on your team.  It was actually pretty funny yesterday as my to4 who are all platinum and below. I was the only onyx and we matched 2 onyx players.  

But hey I don't take this game too seriously because it's going to flop in the competitive scene because of 343i ignorance. I just like to pub stomp and play with friends and I have no desire to play with "pros" or match them.

I'm telling you that this is something that happens since day of launch. If it is a population issue, then the population outside US and EU has always been very low, because there are a LOT of complaints about it since October 27.

Of course the population will be low for games outside EU and US because a lot of these places are developing countries where people can't afford game consoles or they're separating by huge oceans or FPS just isn't popular in their culture.

For example, FPS isn't very popular in Asia, especially console FPS. Australia is an island with a low population compared to USA and our closest neighbours are New Zealand, another small country and then Papua New Guinea where you'd be lucky to find someone that even owns an Xbox.

But in previous games we could fall back on playing on US servers and still play the game.

Sure it was laggy, but as long as you're not playing seriously putting up with lag is better than not being able to play the game at all.

Obviously I wouldn't want to play high ranked Team Arena matches on US servers, but if I'm playing BTB on US servers I'd probably do fine.

They need to just give us the option like Halo 3 had.

There's zero need for them to do testing or anything fancy, just give us the fucking option that we had back in fucking 2007. Fuck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach definitely had the superior Custom Games capability and options, but H3 was so classic and memorable because it was innovative. The novelty of coming up with crazy unique UGC for an FPS was very strong w/ Halo 3, but Reach definitely had better tools.

better tools definitely that's why i didn't disagree with forge system, but in terms of the sheer variety of custom games? the glitches found within H3 allowed for a broad stream of variants that was lacking in reach, largely in part due to the glitches in h3 + this sort of block impulse system allowed users to create mechanisms while reach lacked this. reach didn't have that many varied, polished custom games that h3 had.

Of course the population will be low for games outside EU and US because a lot of these places are developing countries where people can't afford game consoles or they're separating by huge oceans or FPS just isn't popular in their culture.

For example, FPS isn't very popular in Asia, especially console FPS. Australia is an island with a low population compared to USA and our closest neighbours are New Zealand, another small country and then Papua New Guinea where you'd be lucky to find someone that even owns an Xbox.

But in previous games we could fall back on playing on US servers and still play the game.

Sure it was laggy, but as long as you're not playing seriously putting up with lag is better than not being able to play the game at all.

Obviously I wouldn't want to play high ranked Team Arena matches on US servers, but if I'm playing BTB on US servers I'd probably do fine.

They need to just give us the option like Halo 3 had.

There's zero need for them to do testing or anything fancy, just give us the fucking option that we had back in fucking 2007. Fuck.

Yes, the population outside US and EU is lower, but the problem is not just because of that. There are reports of many people from the same area with 2 full teams searching for games at the same time, in peak hours, and still could not find any game. Then, 343 acknowledged the issue, made some changes to the matchmaking system, so people outside of US and EU could play on those servers. But before long, people in Europe started to complain about frequent lag and then 343 reversed the changes and the problem returned. I know all of this because I have a great friend in Brazil. We play together online since launch but he can play Warzone, FFA or BTB only if there is someone from US in his team. Otherwise it keeps searching for players until he gets an error message after several minutes. The funny thing is that he only needs 1 person from US to find games almost instantly, and the rest of the players are usually from South America, suggesting that the population is not the only issue.
I think at least in social playlists, 343 should loosen a bit the matchmaking restrictions so everyone can play at any time.
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm tired of complaining too. But I'm also tired of spending money on products that don't work as advertised.....

Then stop now.

Just say no.

Acceptance is a beautiful thing and the road to recovery.

• Upvote (+1) 3

One positive thing they did, however, was group the types of body armour pieces together. If they hadn't, those pieces would have had too much individuality and no importance within the (purely visual) anti-gestalt of the mishmash of like 100 variants. Grouped together, they reinforce each others' identity, allowing them to fit within various niches of "skeletal", "heavy", "agile," "simple", "complex", etc.

I agreed until that part. The various armor sets seem overwhelming because the customization was done lazily. There's sometimes 5-6 variants per unique armor model, and the main differences are just a bunch of dark, light or white stripes thrown around. It seems like a lot and 343 sold it to us as "100s" but the truth is that there can't be more than 40 unique models in total. 

As for armor losing individuality... that's fine. You're supposed to associate an unique armor design with a character, not with the name of the armor itself. 

You see this armor:

id4163_1.jpg

You think Master Chief. It's automatic. You don't think "Mark VI".

An individual wants armor to do the same for them. To represent them. When I customize something, it's because I want it to represent me, not because I want to represent something generic.

And that's the main reason Halo 5 customization is boring. On top of unlocks being meaningless, there's no individuality to emblems, color schemes, armor, weapon skins... all of it is premade. Can't even customize the colors of stripes that define certain armor variants. How boring is that?

• Upvote (+1) 4

This series is going to need more spin offs if it's going to survive. It being just a shooter won't work, especially if those shooters are subpar.

This series is going to need more spin offs if it's going to survive. It being just a shooter won't work, especially if those shooters are subpar.

Thank the gods for Halo Wars 2

Halo Wars 2

Halo: Spartan Assault

Halo: Spartan Strike

Board Games

Halo has been getting non-FPS titles for a while now.

• Downvote (-1) 1

That would just be milking the series until it dies. It won't help it survive or popularize it.

Shooters are still one of the most popular genres out there. The main other popular genres are MMOs, MOBAs or an RTS. We know Halo Wars 2 is happening (and even then, that's a light RTS), as for the rest... a MOBA wouldn't be able to compete versus the existing ones like League, Dota or Smite, and MMO is a falling off as a genre because of people being too lazy to invest time and the era of P2W.

It's not as hard as it sounds to make a great shooter by Halo standards, but the more you try to push for innovations, the more likely you are to mess something up and ruin the whole thing in the process.

I'll save you the wait then. If they really wanted people to come back to their game based on holiday cheer, they should have made it snow on their maps, or added some lights on trees, or santa hats on Spartans. Something that people actually care about, not two emblems that someone spent their lunch break on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That would just be milking the series until it dies. It won't help it survive or popularize it.

Shooters are still one of the most popular genres out there. The main other popular genres are MMOs, MOBAs or an RTS. We know Halo Wars 2 is happening (and even then, that's a light RTS), as for the rest... a MOBA wouldn't be able to compete versus the existing ones like League, Dota or Smite, and MMO is a falling off as a genre because of people being too lazy to invest time and the era of P2W.

It's not as hard as it sounds to make a great shooter by Halo standards, but the more you try to push for innovations, the more likely you are to mess something up and ruin the whole thing in the process.

I'd but a quality halo RPG.

So this kind of confirms (maybe, could be wrong) that they had oddball, KOTH, assault in there the whole time. They were part of the sustain plan...

I'm so triggered right now holy shit.

Careful, business practices are all grounds for tin foil hat theory accusations around here. 

• Upvote (+1) 2