- carbine

- BR

- DMR

- lightrifle

- AR

- storm rifle

- SMG

- suppressor

You could have made two weapons instead of nine and saved so much effort and headaches... what's the point? Keep in mind all nine of those need their own unique designs, audio, effects, balance, "purpose" in the sandbox.

"Variety"

"Large sandbox"

Just some terms people throw around to justify these sorts of nonsensical changes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H5 magnum = not a utility weapon, but let's just go on saying it is anyway for shits and giggles because when has the Halo community cared about being right.

And likewise if you are not going to define utility weapon then you are not saying anything by using that word.

I agree, the game isn't fun to play at competitive level. I used to be hyped and excited playing with/against pros in H3/Reach in matchmaking/GB.  Now it's like well......cool I guess, Hopefully this stacked to4 when I go in solo or in 2's doesn't wreck me too bad.   Maybe because I'm older and don't have the drive to play 8 hours a day anymore?  The competitiveness is still there for me, but I don't have the drive to go into theater and analyze every single thing I could've done right or wrong and keep improving.  I just want to play and chill from a long day at work.  

I don't have nearly as much time to play as I used to either but I don't think that's it. I felt the same way with Reach and I could play pretty much all day every day back then. The gameplay is just more aggravating than enjoyable in a competitive setting.

Even though I've never played HCE or H2 before online and I don't have much time to game I still enjoyed playing competitive matches of those games in the MCC.

Let's try to avoid saying "it's just not fun" or other non-definitive statements, that's Waypoint or /r/Halo -esque bullshit language. We need to be very clear about what's wrong with the game and how it's a detriment to the experience...trust me, you're not lacking for things to bring up.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Let's try to avoid saying "it's just not fun" or other non-definitive statements, that's Waypoint or /r/Halo -esque bullshit language. We need to be very clear about what's wrong with the game and how it's a detriment to the experience...trust me, you're not lacking for things to bring up.

Ok captain.

I don't have nearly as much time to play as I used to either but I don't think that's it. I felt the same way with Reach and I could play pretty much all day every day back then. The gameplay is just more aggravating than enjoyable in a competitive setting.

Even though I've never played HCE or H2 before online and I don't have much time to game I still enjoyed playing competitive matches of those games in the MCC.

Yeah I played "competitive" and hardcore settings since Halo 2, never got into HCE unfortunately.  I personally found them all fun and balanced up until Halo 4.  Even though I think Halo 5 has potential, I don't think 343i will do enough to cater to the competitive community.

so you are saying we need to be specific about why we don't want to play a video game? Like because its not fun?

I don't know what is more disturbing. Your using a word for which you won't tell us what you mean by it (so you can change your intended meaning during debates) or that you suggest that there is a high level of communication with 343 by which real change is possible.

so you are saying we need to be specific about why we don't want to play a video game? Like because its not fun?

Like instead of saying "omg the matchmaking is garbage" say "no party restrictions is the worst idea since armor lock"

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still confused about the part where 343 felt like the game needed:

- pistol

- carbine

- BR

- DMR

- lightrifle

- AR

- storm rifle

- SMG

- suppressor

You could have made two weapons instead of nine and saved so much effort and headaches... what's the point? Keep in mind all nine of those need their own unique designs, audio, effects, balance, "purpose" in the sandbox.

I'm a Forger. Of those nine, I've bolded six that have a very clear purpose.

Magnum : Starting weapon.

DMR : Long-ranged pickup. Use when you want players to take advantage of sightlines, like on BTB maps.

Light Rifle : Long-ranged pickup. Has lower range than the DMR. Use when you have sightlines, but don't want range domination, such as Fathom.

AR: Starting weapon.

Storm Rifle: An actual niche weapon. Use when you want a CQC weapon, but a shotgun doesn't cut it, being either too weak or too strong.

SMG: Use in a similar case as above, but take advantage of the battery versus ammo scenario (ala Beam Rifle versus Sniper Rifle). For instance, use the Storm Rifle if you want players to have a single disposable niche weapon, but use the SMG with low reserve ammo and you can place multiple ones.

Edit. Apparantly, the Suppressor might also have a purpose. If it's anything like Halo 4's counterpart, then it's probably a BTB weapon. Place it down for shredding vehicles.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Like instead of saying "omg the matchmaking is garbage" say "no party restrictions is the worst idea since armor lock"

I don't know where you've been but people have been saying why it's not fun since launch

DMR : Long-ranged pickup. Use when you want players to take advantage of sightlines, like on BTB maps.

Light Rifle : Long-ranged pickup. Has lower range than the DMR. Use when you have sightlines, but don't want range domination, such as Fathom.

Storm Rifle: An actual niche weapon. Use when you want a CQC weapon, but a shotgun doesn't cut it, being either too weak or too strong.

SMG: Use in a similar case as above, but take advantage of the battery versus ammo scenario (ala Beam Rifle versus Sniper Rifle). For instance, use the Storm Rifle if you want players to have a single disposable niche weapon, but use the SMG with low reserve ammo and you can place multiple ones.

I'd argue that the BR has more of a place than the DMR, if only because 343 hasn't understood that removing bleedthrough damage on headshot weapons is a stupid idea.

I think it's the lack of game modes and competitive maps that has caused my interest in Arena to plummet. I'd like assault and oddball back for sure. I also would like to see the sandbox rebalanced but it isn't a factor that is driving me away from the game. If they can do all of this plus some how make the aim feel better for high sensitivities than I would be pretty happy.

I really like Plaza, and think it's one of the better map designs, and I really like strongholds and slayer on it despite hearing a lot of the opposite. I like Rig Strongholds but I find it's somewhat lopsided with basement and nest hills. I for some reason, really dislike Rig Slayer. It's pretty slow and segmented but I think I'm biased because i can't figure out the best thing to do on that map for my team when we have sniper in back red. Truth and Regret are stale with the two base two tower maps but at least H5 creates different routes not seen so it's a bit different.

Just stating the obvious and it's not very in depth review but if I tried to write that it'd be so long that nobody would read it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They may have clear purpose that lets people check off imaginary boxes on their "I'm an awesome forger" list, but they don't have a good purpose from a gameplay balance perspective, which is what matters.

You can't have a sandbox filled with common weapons that beat or outclass the starting weapons. It just doesn't work. It's rock-paper-scissors balance, which is bad.

Unless they choose to pick up certain weapons, players should always be able to take advantage of sight-lines. Players should always be able to stand a chance at close range.

I for some reason, really dislike Rig Slayer. It's pretty slow and segmented but I think I'm biased because i can't figure out the best thing to do on that map for my team when we have sniper in back red. Truth and Regret are stale with the two base two tower maps but at least H5 creates different routes not seen so it's a bit different.

No radar would make Rig play a lot better. Right now, a good team will just camp the BR tower area with the sniper. They have the best sight lines to Camo and Sniper, and with radar it's virtually impossible to break that setup.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I wasn't really onboard with nerfing autos.

Warzone and the SMG is swaying my opinion of this.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You can't have a sandbox filled with common weapons that beat or outclass the starting weapons. It just doesn't work.

It's only a problem if the maps are littered with them.

I'm not gonna put 2 SMGs, 2 Storm Rifles, and a Shotgun all on a single map (Empire, if you're wondering). It's gonna be 2 SMGs, ​or 2 Storm Rifles, or one Shotgun.

Same with the precision rifles. When I don't want a Sniper Rifle, I'll stick in one or more DMRs ​or Light Rifles.

• Upvote (+1) 3

"I like CE because it's fun."

Are you convinced yet?

Just a quick list of awesome gametypes popular in H3/Reach that 343 never bothered with.

- Headhunter

- Stockpile

- One Flag

- Invasion

- Speed Flag

- Race

- Juggernaut

A lotta fun was had in those, really really miss them can't wait for BC

#ReachBC #We BaCk

I want Invasion back exclusively on Boneyard and Spire. This doesn't mean Invasion TS either, just good ol' 6v6 Invasion on those two maps over and over again. They killed that playlist for me when they added the forge maps, there were disgusting.

How does having Storm Rifles, SMGs, DMRs, or Light Rifles on the map make it more competitive? Or is this just for variety? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been saying for a while that I think reach was and still is a generally good halo game, even with it's faults.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I never thought I would see the day where people on this forum would be praising Halo Reach

God bless them, they're doing it the right way. Reach's gameplay might've been shit but at least the game was structured properly.

• Upvote (+1) 4

How does having Storm Rifles, SMGs, DMRs, or Light Rifles on the map make it more competitive? Or is this just for variety? 

Read my previous posts. It's all about proper weapon placement.

• Upvote (+1) 1