CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@EagleBurn, I have no idea how you can be a mod on r/halo, every time I post something it's instantly gets downvoted, be it sales, gameplay, art, music whatever. It's so damn frustrating.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@EagleBurn, I have no idea how you can be a mod on r/halo, every time I post something it's instantly gets downvoted, be it sales, gameplay, art, music whatever. It's so damn frustrating.

Don't reddit mods get worshipped like Gods/Deities?

I think H3 has the best level art, and H1 does have a really good color pallet. H3 MC look like plastic though, and H1 MC looks just as boxy as H2's.

I think Halo 3 had the best level art, it was beautiful. I didn't play but maybe 20 games in reach, but despite my hate for that game the spartans looked really good in it imo.

Really dislike the art design of the spartans in h4/5. Not sure what it is but they suck.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wouldn't say worship, but no one talks back to me. It's actually annoying and impossible to have any real conversations there. I've been a mod on the Xbox.com forums (back when it was good before the NXE update made everyone leave), TWCenter.net (Total War community) and /r/Halo. I'm never accepting another mod/admin/staff position for a community again. I just want to visit a community and relax and have people talk to me normally.

And since we're on that topic, I think we should get rid of user reputation. Reputation for posts is fine, but user reputation isn't. It create hierarchy and a need to stay in the status quo to get more rep and that isn't beneficial for forums. It's not that big of a deal, but it would be an improvement. @@CyReN @@Moa @@Saucey

I know that feeling with communities and general staff positions. Sometimes entertaining, mostly aggravating. I agree on the latter point though. 

I went looking for an extra credits video and found they moved. They have also been busy.  I thought you all might find this one very interesting.

Extra Credits are amazing, one of the best channels on youtube easily.

And since we're on that topic, I think we should get rid of user reputation. Reputation for posts is fine, but user reputation isn't. It create hierarchy and a need to stay in the status quo to get more rep and that isn't beneficial for forums. It's not that big of a deal, but it would be an improvement. @@CyReN @@Moa @@Saucey

Hey now, I worked hard to grow my cucumber. Don't you dare take that from me.

• Upvote (+1) 6

you might as well take the green bar tbh its irrelevant to who is a "good" poster anyways and does have a hierarchy (which I always found odd to begin with). I know its old school to have the green/red bar but I do like in other forums they don't have just green/red or like/dislike but other reactions to a post like Insightful, Agree, Like, Disagree, OT, etc. just my opinion. Keep the stats hidden I guess as well? eh idk

I went looking for an extra credits video and found they moved. They have also been busy.  I thought you all might find this one very interesting.

https://youtu.be/zL5kOyHWI_E?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5DZUWTC25vSZbJ6OCk1XB1p

I used to know how to embed...

You can't embed short linked Youtube videos, grab the full URL from your browser @@CyReN - You guys may want to fix this.

Exactly, team chemistry goes far beyond communication. And to act like 4 singles communicating will beat a team of 4 with chemistry is ignorant.

Not every team of 4 is a bunch of MLG pros pub stomping. A lot of times I'm in a party with a bunch of dudes I've barely played with. Sometimes I just team up with a recent player because we both happened to play well in the same game and are simply in a party to reduce the chance of crappy team mates.

So no, it's not ignorant at all.

You're assuming that every team of 4 you run into are an actual tournament team that practise together constantly.

It can be frustrating at times. I think I've built an immunity to it at this point though.

I wouldn't say worship, but no one talks back to me. It's actually annoying and impossible to have any real conversations there. I've been a mod on the Xbox.com forums (back when it was good before the NXE update made everyone leave), TWCenter.net (Total War community) and /r/Halo. I'm never accepting another mod/admin/staff position for a community again. I just want to visit a community and relax and have people talk to me normally.

A PC guy like me with 1000+ rep? On a console forum? Seems legit!  :halo:

Or I know how to professionally roast 343i  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Are people still struggling to find games at high ranks or outside NA?

In EU we dont have big problems. And while I feel for you, we dont need to ruin the game for everyone else because of this. There needs to be another solution and not just letting match solos against stacked teams.

Guys, the match making system ALREADY tries to match teams of 4 against teams of 4.

Uhm no it doesnt? This was a straight out lie by 343i. The game doesnt look into teams at all. When I search, I find games in like 10 seconds. I often matched the same team back to back while searching 1s/2s. I also match TO4 more often or at least 50/50 to other solo players. You cant tell me that when I get games in 10 seconds, that the game is actually looking for party sizes, location and rank. I would rather search up to 3-5 minutes when I am in a team and match another team so we get a good game rather than what we have now. Party restrictions was never a problem for solo searchers. H3 is proof enough. You could get fair games in minutes after 7 years when the population was waaaaay lower than H5s now.

I think it's more realistic for 343 to put XBL party restrictions into certain arena playlists to encourage players to actually talk to each other like CoD used to have.

Oh good I cant believe I still read this in 2015. I dont want to talk with wannabe thugs, little kids or ragers/whiners. I am very carefully with who I pick to play with. If you once blame me or another teammate during the game you can gtfo. I played with countless skilled players where I just had to leave because of their attitude. You cant force people to communicate. It can even go backwards when people start blaming each other and betray or rage. I also dont need any more morons making fun out my accent when I try my best to speak their language.

Sorry to shatter your dreams guys, but what you're asking isn't realistic with the current state of the population.

The game matched me against people way above and below my skill rank since release. I matched a lot of foreigners as well. This wont get much worse with PR.

Playing high ranked solo in MCC and H5 is one of the worst and most frustrating experience I ever had in online games and one of the reasons this game is dying. Thanks to no party restrictions.

Edit: Getting a 50 in MCC or Champ in H5 while searching solo is almost impossible. Playing alone at the top is almost impossible. Thats how bad it is.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Watching @@VinFTW 's character arc has really made this thread for me.

"Character arc", aka, not blindly hating or blindly loving a game.

The vames content got stale quick, currently waiting for more content.

The games issues got annoying real fast,

Currently waiting for fixes.

I don't make shit up, if a game is good I'll talk it up, if it sucks I won't play it.

Not a hard concept using objective and factual evidence to generate a dynamic opinion on a game.

At this point I was hoping to be playing assault on actual btb maps, or awaiting a real, quality fileshare system, which won't happen, hence the disappointment. If we got actual, great btb maps with new modes and a good forge file-share system id be set.

But nope.

• Upvote (+1) 2

ODST and 3 had the same art style. lmao

Not quite.

halo-3-20070923023555552.jpg

2845531-7034920970-Halo3.jpg

aannddd

B001HWB68K.04.lg.jpg

1146424-51626_halo3odst_screenshot_01.jp

halo-3-odst-covenant-rookie-visor.jpg

Yes, they look similar, which is a given considering they were built on the same engine, albeit ODST is just a very very refined version of it.

Outside of this however they're pretty distinct.  The lighting in ODST was much more dynamic and in your face, which is great considering what the game was, and every scene and level seems to have some sort of overlaying ambient coloring (the screenshots below show this, with a tan filter in effect.   Other ODST Campaign missions had a blue tint) while Halo 3 remained fairly neutrally colored with soft lighting.  In fact the only neutrally colored level in ODST would be the Mombassa city at night.

110364114-Full.jpg

nq3uojdx3dlsehgvnhhx.jpg

110363940-Full.jpg

level3-roadblock.jpg

Keep in mind the 4 screenshots above happen at the same location in terms of canon.  It's pretty easy to distinguish the games apart, even without having an actual knowledge of the content within each respective level.  While the lighting and coloring is a giveaway, take a look at the architecture in the 1st and 3rd shot above, of Uplift Reserve.  You can tell how much Bungie grew as a studio just by comparing that to Tsavo Highway, I could argue that the ODST art actually resembles Reach more than it does Halo 3.  Especially given the shots above :)

• Upvote (+1) 4

anyone know when 343 are gonna fix the sluggish aiming this game still has?

New controller options are being added in the December update. 

"independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity, and more"

Full details on what will be included is being revealed in the live stream on Friday, I think.

It can be frustrating at times. I think I've built an immunity to it at this point though.

If there's enough support behind it, we'll consider it. 

Are people still struggling to find games at high ranks or outside NA?

Yes?

Well then no.

The only way this could ever be fixed is if Halo 5's online population DOUBLED (Would probably need to quadruple actually) and maintained those stats long term.

Pro tip: That's never going to happen.

Sorry to shatter your dreams guys, but what you're asking isn't realistic with the current state of the population.

Even if 343 were to loosen the skill restrictions they'd have to have Bronze players matching with Onyx players for this to work which would be just as bad as teams of 4 playing against solo players, instead you'd just have teams of 4 bronze/silver players matching against diamond and onyx players.

I guarantee if 343 made it so a team of 4 could only ever match against a team of 4 there would be double the amount of bitching when people realise they're waiting half an hour for a single game and then once they finally get a game the skill levels are completely unbalanced.

I think it's more realistic for 343 to put XBL party restrictions into certain arena playlists to encourage players to actually talk to each other like CoD used to have.

This way you can still find games quickly, the matches should still be pretty even and you can communicate with your team mates instead of all just running around doing your own thing and then wondering why you're losing.

You're not losing because you're playing a team of 4, you're losing because you're not communicating with your team mates, whether that's because you choose not to or because you can't because your team mates are in a separate party.

EDIT:

Guys, the match making system ALREADY tries to match teams of 4 against teams of 4.

The fact that teams of 4 are matching solo players just proves my point. There's not enough people playing this game for the match making system to be this restrictive.

If I know I'm playing against a to4 when I'm searching solo or in 2's I block them.  I'm 1700 in onyx and don't have any problems finding another game. The funny thing is, it's just so obvious when you play against to4 compared to randoms when you compare your stats and the overall matchmaking experience. Example, I matched against Mackeo and his sweaty team when my buddy and I were searching in 2's (no surprise honestly) obviously we lost big time because we had teammates go way negative and I'm pretty sure our randoms were searching alone by deductive reasoning.  How is that fair to them or us to play against a team?  Obviously I blocked them, the next game started getting good and close games again. See a trend?

@@Pyroteq I think this is a good solution for your warzone matchmaking issue (well one of them), if you just block certain players in warzone you won't match up with them again.

If I know I'm playing against a to4 when I'm searching solo or in 2's I just block them.  I'm 1700 in onyx and don't have any problems finding another game. @@Pyroteq I think this is a good solution for your warzone matchmaking issue (well one of them), if you just block certain players in warzone you won't match up with them again.

That doesn't work in Halo 5. I've matched people that I've blocked before.