CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ok, so can someone here please explain to me how Warzone is supposed to be a social game type designed for casual gamers?

Because to me it seems like the opposite.

I just got done playing a 14 minute game on ARC. I think the opposing team must have captured all 3 bases in the first 4 minutes of the game and then the next 10 minutes of the game was our entire team being spawn camped by tanks, wraiths, ghosts, snipers, etc, etc. While everyone on our team was throwing stones at the enemy.

Oh, just quit out and search for a new game...

Woops, quitting is frowned upon in this game so if I join a Warzone game where the opposing team is straight up decimating us I get to sit there and endure it for 10 minutes while I can't even walk out the entrance of my base. If I quit out the game I might get a match making ban. So basically I get forced into playing a match I don't want to play and there's no surrender option so I can just get it over and done with and move onto the next game.

STRIKE 1

REQ cards are only available to those that have them saved up and haven't sold them all trying to unlock a freakin' DMR *cough*me*cough*, which means casual gamers without all the unlocks and without things like tanks, etc, are just getting straight up murdered by players that sit home all day and have an entire library of REQ's to choose from.

Basically this just creates a snowball effect where players that are good and can unlock REQ's quickly go through 50 cards a game and absolutely destroy everyone in their path.

If you're not paying real currency for REQ packs you're paying with your time. I don't get to play Halo 8 hours a day any more and I haven't even finished collecting the common stuff yet which means I play using my loadouts and nothing else unless I pick up someone else's gun or vehicle.

Lets be honest here - It's pay to win.

I can't just go into a game and depend on my skill to win a game, because even if I have the highest kill count of the game, if I can't summon a tank to take out the AI it doesn't matter.

STRIKE 2

Every now and then I get a game that's very close right up to the end and it will be a race to take out the last boss, but there's also many times where the game ends 1000 - 80 or something.

I know Warzone is supposed to be a social fun mode, but I'm pretty sure dying 50 times in a game to tanks parked outside your base isn't classified as "fun" for many people. The game doesn't seem to even attempt to match you up with players your skill level, not even loosely. I don't expect teams of 12 to only find teams of 12, but it would be nice if I could at least count on my team mates to be able to move their character and aim at the same time. I'm not asking for much.

STRIKE 3

So there you have it. This game mode frustrates the shit out of me and half the time I'm sitting in the top 3 for kills. I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for casual gamers that jump into a game only to be killed by the same dude in a tank 20 times in a row.

The games drag on for an eternity sometimes and you're punished if you quit the game.

All of this is absolutely awful for a casual gaming audience.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Just ran 12's with @@Snip3down.

JPVPEWX.jpg

i cant

Lmfao I was in the Stormbreak game 1000-74. I got a kill and was content with not goosing so I rode around a gungoose on the other end of the map.

I genuinely feel sorry for some of you guys who aren't enjoying this game.

Personally it's some of the most fun I've had playing Halo matchmaking, despite the issues.

I think I vs'ed you in Warzone Assault a couple of days ago. The tag seems familiar. Add me if you want someone to play with/grind.

Not a remake.

I'm pretty sure they let it slip that it was Burial Mounds by mistake unless it's officially been confirmed it's not.

Not a remake.

It is consistently being referred to as Burial Mounds, both by Ducain AND Xbox themselves, so if it isn't a direct remake it is a very strong spiritual successor.

Not a remake.

To be fair, remakes apparently don't exist anymore for 343 despite the map saying otherwise. I think they like to use "spiritual successor" now just so they can get away with more of their creative changes even though the map fits the remake description way more than a spiritual successor.

Valhalla is a spiritual successor. What 343 is doing are remakes tuned to work for Halo 5, but remakes nonetheless.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thanks man! It was really fun to make.

Still have it playing on repeat man so freaking awesome. I would love to see some crazy metal lyrics go along with it.

Meh, I don't think Microsoft needs Halo to sell Xbox's.

They should create a new IP or gain exclusive rights to Destiny or something like that. Or they could be the first console to allow cross compatibility between console and PC for all their multiplayer titles which instantly double or even triple all their game populations.

They don't need it to sell Xbox's, but it would insane of them not to try and recapture some of what they had going during the original trilogy era.

Microsoft would have to strike gold twice in order to come up with new IP that has the weight of Halo. Cross compatibility would be awesome, but it's a crazy amount of complexity and risk for something that the average consumer might not even comprehend.

I agree with you, they should take more risks, push into innovative territory. I just can't see it happening after the failure of basically every innovative feature on the Xbox One. They need to stabilize, which will probably take the entire generation (as it did for Sony and the PS3).

Sonic used to be associated with Sega systems and now they don't even exist but Sonic lives on.

Crash Bandicoot and Abe used to be the mascots for Playstation and right now some kids are reading this sentence saying "Who the fuck is Crash Bandicoot?". Now when you think of Playstation you think of Nathan Drake.

Tomb Raider used to live on Playstation and now the latest Tomb Raider is time exclusive to Xbox.

Sonic is literally the only thing that has kept Sega relevant, because of the connection people make between the character and the company. Similarly, people associate the Xbox and Halo to an extremely high degree. As long as both exist and are associated, the speed at which each can slip into irrelevancy is slowed.

Halo has so much more going for it as a "mascot" franchise than your examples here that I can't even wrap my head around comparing them.

There's no need for Microsoft to try and force Master Chief to continue being the Xbox mascot.

It's not a question of need. It's about which path is going to be more profitable. Does separating Halo and Xbox make Microsoft more money in the long run? I doubt it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok, so can someone here please explain to me how Warzone is supposed to be a social game type designed for casual gamers?

Because to me it seems like the opposite.

I just got done playing a 14 minute game on ARC. I think the opposing team must have captured all 3 bases in the first 4 minutes of the game and then the next 10 minutes of the game was our entire team being spawn camped by tanks, wraiths, ghosts, snipers, etc, etc. While everyone on our team was throwing stones at the enemy.

Oh, just quit out and search for a new game...

Woops, quitting is frowned upon in this game so if I join a Warzone game where the opposing team is straight up decimating us I get to sit there and endure it for 10 minutes while I can't even walk out the entrance of my base. If I quit out the game I might get a match making ban. So basically I get forced into playing a match I don't want to play and there's no surrender option so I can just get it over and done with and move onto the next game.

STRIKE 1

REQ cards are only available to those that have them saved up and haven't sold them all trying to unlock a freakin' DMR *cough*me*cough*, which means casual gamers without all the unlocks and without things like tanks, etc, are just getting straight up murdered by players that sit home all day and have an entire library of REQ's to choose from.

Basically this just creates a snowball effect where players that are good and can unlock REQ's quickly go through 50 cards a game and absolutely destroy everyone in their path.

If you're not paying real currency for REQ packs you're paying with your time. I don't get to play Halo 8 hours a day any more and I haven't even finished collecting the common stuff yet which means I play using my loadouts and nothing else unless I pick up someone else's gun or vehicle.

Lets be honest here - It's pay to win.

I can't just go into a game and depend on my skill to win a game, because even if I have the highest kill count of the game, if I can't summon a tank to take out the AI it doesn't matter.

STRIKE 2

Every now and then I get a game that's very close right up to the end and it will be a race to take out the last boss, but there's also many times where the game ends 1000 - 80 or something.

I know Warzone is supposed to be a social fun mode, but I'm pretty sure dying 50 times in a game to tanks parked outside your base isn't classified as "fun" for many people. The game doesn't seem to even attempt to match you up with players your skill level, not even loosely. I don't expect teams of 12 to only find teams of 12, but it would be nice if I could at least count on my team mates to be able to move their character and aim at the same time. I'm not asking for much.

STRIKE 3

So there you have it. This game mode frustrates the shit out of me and half the time I'm sitting in the top 3 for kills. I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be for casual gamers that jump into a game only to be killed by the same dude in a tank 20 times in a row.

The games drag on for an eternity sometimes and you're punished if you quit the game.

All of this is absolutely awful for a casual gaming audience.

Arena isn't much better attracting casuals either.

I wonder if 343 is creating real social playlists or more ranked playlists that happen to have hidden ranks.

I wonder if 343 is creating real social playlists or more ranked playlists that happen to have hidden ranks.

What would be wrong with the later?

It means if I play great for my ten games, get placed in Champion (even if it's hidden), I'm still going to be finding uber sweaty games. Matchmaking times will also be incredibly slow because there won't be many Champions online.

Reach had the best approach, just loosen the matching restrictions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Social lists have always just hidden the ranks and loosened the matching restrictions iirc. You still have a skill value getting calculated behind the scenes, its just allowed to fluctuate more quickly and isn't as important when creating matches.

Arena isn't much better attracting casuals either.

That's what I'm trying to say.

343 is pushing arena as the competitive Halo. All ranked, make sure you pop your adderall and drink a can of red bull between each game.

Then Warzone is supposed to be where you just chill out and don't take it too seriously...

Except then you've got a bunch of Warzone warriors that are ranked Challenger in arena that can't find games thanks to the awesome match making system so they come into Warzone and obliterate everyone and everything in their path.

I know 343 wants fast search times but I think they need to try to balance the teams a bit.

There's a few groups I've run into numerous times and every time I see their names appear I may as well just put my controller down because I know for the next 10 minutes where going to be trapped inside trying to protect our core while half a dozen tanks sit directly outside our entrance.

People can say "it's not pay to win" as much as they want, but it really is pay to win. If you've got an entire team using REQ packs every time they respawn against a team that uses a couple of Warthogs of course the team pulling out spartan lasers, tanks and banshees is going to win 99% of the time.

Yes, you can unlock REQ's for free, but the better weapons are less common which gives an advantage to the kids that max out daddies credit card buying them straight up.

EDIT:

And yes, I realise BTB is coming soon, but it's too little too late. Pretty sure the window to get players hooked on Halo has passed and they're probably enjoying unlocking their 50 million different gun mods in CoD or Fallout 4.

Warzone just doesn't feel like a good casual mode. Like most people here I started out as a BG CTF 24/7 noob and Warzone sure as hell doesn't capture the casual gaming awesomeness in the same way as a bunch of indestructible Warthogs.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Then they're essentially pointless lol.

Social should stress fast search times with looser party and skill restrictions.

Ranked should have tighter skill and PARTY restrictions.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Burial Mounds was great.

Out of all the maps in the original Halo's there were much better maps than Burial Mounds.

Social lists have always just hidden the ranks and loosened the matching restrictions iirc. You still have a skill value getting calculated behind the scenes, its just allowed to fluctuate more quickly and isn't as important when creating matches.

I know.

Out of all the maps in the original Halo's there were much better maps than Burial Mounds.

Yeah, let's get another Zanzibar remake  :bravo:

• Upvote (+1) 3

Knowing 343i they were probably thinking about it.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just ran 12's with @@Snip3down.

i cant 

12's can be insane. Our record game score so far is 1000 - 38. 

D2hzB70.gif

our Time record is 4 minutes 19 seconds, in a 1000 - 40 game (http://i.imgur.com/gqd1jEA.png and http://i.imgur.com/QRZNG21.png)

In both cases, that includes 25 points for the other team from their initial NPC boss. We ran with 10-12 people for these.

This was our strategy; there was one match where a total of 11 opponents quit over the course of the game, once we beat them to their own armory. Felt a little dirty, lol. But we needed the quick RP farming for more HCS packs before they vanished

only reason we're not getting another zanzibar remake by forgers is because 343 is working on an in-engine remake, but don't worry they replaced that boring old brick wall with some fancy white architecture :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 5