CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Did menke leave whats happening??

Josh Menke left 343 industries, most likely because he's already done and is moving on to other games.

Strafing looked promising in that short video on empire. Base speed looks quick.

I noticed this as well.  Maybe sprinting won't be that much faster than base speed.

I noticed this as well.  Maybe sprinting won't be that much faster than base speed.

it's still got a load of other problems.

Strafing looked promising in that short video on empire. Base speed looks quick.

i though the precision weapons looked dead accurate, even when not scoped.

I introduced a buddy to Halo through MCC, before I knew the MCC problems we were going to have of course.  Anyway, the game has been getting better and we've been able to play a few games.

Last night I linked him the Halo 5 clips from the xboxdvr sites.

This was his tweet back to me when he watched the ~minute 30 video with the 2 ground pounds

I met this guy during MW3 and have been playing games with him ever since. He had never really played Halo before MCC. Thought this was hilarious, as even brand new, inexperienced Halo players are like wtf. :P

• Upvote (+1) 3

As a concept it's pretty cool IMO, but it implementation in beta looks to be a bit questionable. It's splash damage is huge, and it's range is ridiculous. I would take away the splash damage and make it so that you can only kill your opponent if you land directly on them, but if you miss, you won't damage them at all, making it more punishing. I would also make it so that it can only be done within 15 or 20 degree angle so that it can't be used to escape. A slightly longer charge, and slower pound would be nice, though the latter could be overkill.

Thruster pack is going to ruin every strafing battle unfortunately.

Thruster pack is going to ruin every strafing battle unfortunately.

It's a mini chess match. Who will use it first and when? A good player might be able to squeeze in an extra kill or two with a well timed tp.

It's a mini chess match. Who will use it first and when? A good player might be able to squeeze in an extra kill or two with a well timed tp.

Or who will use it to get away because they were losing and should have died. Yeah I fucking hate the thruster pack. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Or who will use it to get away because they were losing and should have died. Yeah I fucking hate the thruster pack. 

I am calling it right now: distance of thrust will be nerfed, cooldown 7-8 seconds.

Thruster pack is the same things as strafe, minus being able to shoot/throw nades (which I and many others want changed)

I thought the thruster pack was cool because i could do really sick things with it, like 180 assasinations on n00bs. Most people I played with in H4 didn't have that level of mastery over movement. I could use the thruster pack to make cool jumps on haven, solace (even though that map is fucking awful), use it while in lift to fuck with people's timing, juke people out, make quick scope thruster pack snipes and shit.

what i said is probably really hard for you guys to appreciate, but the thruster pack is one of the few things that i enjoyed about halo 4. if sprint is removed, i think thruster pack would add a little bit of skill gap in halo 5 movement.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm in between what I want with future Halo games when it comes to sprint.

I'm not really for sprint but I feel like if they're wanting to immerse the player to be a Spartan, you should be able to fire while sprinting and thrustering, kinda like gameplay from Unreal Tournament, where you have increased speed but still can fire along with shields not able to recharge while doing so..

Having Spartan IVs yell at me doesn't make me feel like a Spartan.. when I think of a Spartan, I think of John, Kelly, Linda, and Fred... they were silent, organized killing machines.. I understand that Spartan IVs are more like advanced military than super genetic soldiers like the original Spartans so it kinda makes sense but honestly I think less AI communication is better.. just let players communicate like they should.. little heads up cues are fine just don't overdo it.  

I thought the thruster pack was cool because i could do really sick things with it, like 180 assasinations on n00bs. Most people I played with in H4 didn't have that level of mastery over movement. I could use the thruster pack to make cool jumps on haven, solace (even though that map is fucking awful), use it while in lift to fuck with people's timing, juke people out, make quick scope thruster pack snipes and shit.

what i said is probably really hard for you guys to appreciate, but the thruster pack is one of the few things that i enjoyed about halo 4. if sprint is removed, i think thruster pack would add a little bit of skill gap in halo 5 movement.

That assassination was Godlike. But yeah, thruster pack was also one of my favorite things about H4.

The funny thing is that thruster pack is a much better alternative to sprint, I suggested that instead of removing sprint (which we all know won't happen) they should replace it with perhaps a slightly more powerful version of thruster, would make halo 5 better without doing anything too crazy, sprint is such a common aspect of games these days that I doubt they would ever do something like that.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

You make it sound like the person thrusting away vanishes from your line of sight instantaneously, which almost will never be the case, unless the person is sitting right next to a wall (which makes it a good escape option thrusters or not). You're better off fighting back than trying to thrust away because you're giving them what I'm assuming will be 2 free shots while facing towards them as you thrust away.

It's way more likely that thrusters will be use to juke others in strafing battles, which would be a good implementation. Just make it so it's possible to shoot while using them, and that's how it'll be used most of the time.

The funny thing is that thruster pack is a much better alternative to sprint, I suggested that instead of removing sprint (which we all know won't happen) they should replace it with perhaps a slightly more powerful version of thruster, would make halo 5 better without doing anything too crazy, sprint is such a common aspect of games these days that I doubt they would ever do something like that.

Yeah I don't understand why its so hard for 343 to understand that adding sprint just messes up everything about halo. the negative effects of sprint on halo have been stated like a million times already, i dont want to start talking about that. why are they trying to create a broken game? I don't know who they are trying to please, what is their objective, and why they want to alienate halo fans that actually give a shit about the series. I feel like quinn and kevin franklin were just having some weird ass conversations about the future of halo, like kevin franklin probably was like "dude how sick would it be if we made the spartans hella actioney and made grunts and you could see the wind when you sprint, and were so cool they actually talked to each other in the game", and quinn was like "forsureee dude that sounds like the future of halo. fuck all this slow movement, silent master chief shit." I feel like way too many decisions were made early on in development by people who don't know the fuck halo really is. 

/rant

If 343 doesn't believe that unanimous poll on waypoint where like 3000 people voted and 70% said they didnt want sprint and flinch in the next halo, I have an idea for them. Why don't they have a highly advertised poll that is shown everywhere, waypoint, twitter, in MCC halo channel, on reddit halo, beyond, on their youtube channel, and finally discover whether people want sprint or not in halo 5? 

@Sal1ent

I ask with as much patience as I have in me that you don't come here with the intention of calming the revolt. I want you to understand what we're saying - even and ESPECIALLY if you can't make what we want happen. 

Still in awe. Possibly GOAT post of beyond forums?