CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh, is today the update?

Rolled back, not reset. 

People's ranks have randomly gone back to what they were a few weeks back.

One I always forget to bring up is Ogre 2's "Halo 3 was 10x more competitive than shadowrun" I forget the rest of the quote but it was made regarding the number of teams playing lol.

I don't really see what's wrong with that quote.

There's a difference between "competitive" and "skilful". I could make up a ridiculously hard Halo rule set that required players to wear blindfolds and play with their feet, but if no one else is doing it it's not competitive.

Pretty much no one played Shadow Run, which means there was little competition. Hell, the competition for Shadow Run was so easy that players practised both Shadow Run AND Halo and still took top positions in tournaments.

The less players there are the less chance anyone will reach the skill ceiling and the easier it is for the competitors since there's only a few decent teams to play against.

Great example is the competitive scene in Australia. We had Halo 1 tournaments which were skilful but it wasn't very competitive since there wasn't a lot of prize money on offer and the scene was very small. Australian teams that attended MLG didn't stand a chance at winning because there's less competition here.

Off topic, I have no idea why anyone liked Shadow Run in the first place.

It was definitely ahead of its time (some of the abilities ended up in games like Destiny years later) but it also had a lot of issues. I mean, having bloom affected simply by turning your gun - reducing your ability to make twitch shots? This was done because the game had cross system support between console and PC so they handicapped PC players on purpose so players using keyboard and mouse didn't gain an advantage. Doesn't seem very "competitive" to me.

obsVKtp.jpg

20 dollar map pack with 9 maps

20 dollars back then = 25 dollars today.

10 dollar REQ pack

10 is 40% of 25 dollars.

40% of 9 maps is 3.6 maps.

10 dollars got us 3.6 maps back in the day. Now we get some dandy REQ packs where 343 keeps a majority of the profit.

Anything wrong with this, or is it just me?

In b4 but the pros that make up .001% of the population will get a little more money and DLC is free now...even though it will be forge remakes of shitty maps we already have.

Holy shit, you read my mind dude.

I was about to hunt down the price of the Halo 2 map pack and make this EXACT post.

HCS Pack is $13.45 AUD for a few skins that a couple of artists cranked out in a weekend?

FFS I can get ENTIRE FUCKING GAMES on Steam for that price.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=ut1&category1=998&os=

Hell, check it out yourself. CS:GO is currently $7.50.

343 - Players outside Europe and NA are struggling to find games.

Players ranked in champion can't find games.

You have the audacity to release and charge money for REQ packs when you're game IS NOT WORKING for a good percentage of the population.

Ugh.

• Upvote (+1) 6

It's a good thing that none of Halo 5's items are locked behind a paywall.

Unless you want to spend 2 hours grinding for 10k req points to get a chance to unlock something you want. Have fun with your 6 gungooses instead after 2 hours of grinding.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most fun I've had with a game since 2004

FUCKING YES LETS GO

REACH BC HIT ME UP FOR MULTITEAM SHENANIGANS FOR THE FUNNEST GAMEPLAY SINCE PEGGLE

FUCKING YES LETS GO

REACH BC HIT ME UP FOR MULTITEAM SHENANIGANS FOR THE FUNNEST GAMEPLAY SINCE PEGGLE

Lets go. I quit when Rocket Hog Race is voted for.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why do people keep telling me this like it's the reason I hate microtransactions? My quarrel with micro-dlc is that it's unethical to ship a $60 game half finished with content locked behind a pay wall. Publishers are just swindling you for every penny they can while shipping as little as they can; and in turn we get half-assed games where the population dies off and makes it hard to play the game.

Treyarch does it right. They didn't release any micro-dlc until about halfway through their games life cycle. Black Ops 3 doesn't have any at all yet.

But nothing is locked behind a pay wall. If I play enough I can unlock any armor and weapon skin that the game has.

Yes it provides luck, and sure, waiting until the game is finished before releasing them is smart. But if they want to delay it until that point, how would we unlock armor, skins etc. before that releases.

Ehh, apples and oranges. The purpose of the map pack(s) was not to generate crowdfunding for tournament winnings.

Some of the included maps in that were also free only because they were sponsored by Mountain Dew. 

I'm pretty sure those maps sponsored by Mountain Dew actually came out towards the end of Halo 2's life. Wasn't it Tombstone and Desolation, remakes of HeH and Derelict?

Let's not talk about paid map packs. To begin with, they're a horrible concept.

Either practically everyone bought them and all was well (see Halo 3) or nobody touched them and they were isolated to specific playlists. In both cases, they split the population, which hurts the community.

There were actually fine back in the day. They didn't charge too much for them, you got a decent amount of maps in each pack and it wasn't content that was already ready to release 6 months ago that they held on to simply so they could charge for it later.

DLC back in 2005 is VERY different to DLC in 2015.

Also, I'm pretty sure all the maps ended up being free and added to rotations after a couple of months.

I'm the last person that will defend DLC but I'll definitely make a case that Bungie's version of DLC in 2005 was pretty consumer friendly, especially since getting any extra maps at all wasn't really a thing on console back then.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We have zero control of what people upvote and downvote. The only post that are removed are ones that violate our rules, which have nothing to do with opinions. All opinions in /r/Halo are welcomed. It's a general Halo community, not a specific one like Beyond, FoegeHub, or GrifballHub. If you see a post that you think is downvoted unfairly, respond and get involved in the discussion and see if you can change some opinions, but mods have not control over what people upvote and downvote.

That's dodging the question dude, he wants to know why "controversial" was removed.

I'd like to know as well.

That's dodging the question dude, he wants to know why "controversial" was removed.

I'd like to know as well.

I misread, I'm not sure why? I'll look into it.

Lets go. I quit when Rocket Hog Race is voted for.

You mean, you don't sit there, rocket the floor constantly and troll your team-mates for putting you in this despicable match?

Unless you want to spend 2 hours grinding for 10k req points to get a chance to unlock something you want. Have fun with your 6 gungooses instead after 2 hours of grinding.

6 gungooses? Well yeah, you'll get that if all you do is open Bronze packs.

Halo Reach was also a grind fest, but I was perfectly content with that. The only difference now is that armor unlocks are bound by RNG instead of leveling. I can't say it's better, but at the same time, I can't call it worse.

Each to their own, but saying that the REQ system's a paywall is simply untrue.

No, it's not an opportunity cost. Different people do different things. You don't have artists do programming and what-not. At the most, doing REQ content would only cut into Forge, and only the design aspect of it like the object palette.

Excluding the REQ weapons, the REQ system is pretty much just an extension of the armor customization we've had since 4 and Reach.

Logically speaking, the REQ system's existence would have little impact on something like the number of maps in Arena or the amount of game-types, which are governed by map designers and gameplay people.

So you're saying the people who make reqs have no transferable skills that can be used on other areas

of the game?

And that the money they use to pay these people who can only make reqs and nothing else is also, for some reason, only usable to pay people that can only make reqs and nobody else on earth?

Lolk

But nothing is locked behind a pay wall. If I play enough I can unlock any armor and weapon skin that the game has.

Yes it provides luck, and sure, waiting until the game is finished before releasing them is smart. But if they want to delay it until that point, how would we unlock armor, skins etc. before that releases.

Like i've stated before I'm not talking exclusively about Halo 5. I'm talking about microtransactions in general on $60 titles. And in no way is grinding for REQ points fun when the most you get from Arena is 900rp per game and a Gold pack cost's 10k rp.

And I have no idea what you are trying to say in your second sentence.

I misread, I'm not sure why? I'll look into it.

Cheers dude, while you're at it am I allowed to post my latest video to /r/halo or do I have to spam pictures of kittens in a bunch of subreddits to pad my submissions?

I hate Reddit's approach to original content, it screws small content creators so much.

So you're saying the people who make reqs have no transferable skills that can be used on other areas

of the game?

And that the money they use to pay these people who can only make reqs and nothing else is also, for some reason, only usable to pay people that can only make reqs and nobody else on earth?

Lolk

Well the artists who don't work on environmental don't exactly have a whole lot they can do at the moment other than design new weapons and armour for 5 or work on Halo 6.

6 gungooses? Well yeah, you'll get that if all you do is open Bronze packs.

Halo Reach was also a grind fest, but I was perfectly content with that. The only difference now is that armor unlocks are bound by RNG instead of leveling. I can't say it's better, but at the same time, I can't call it worse.

Each to their own, but saying that the REQ system's a paywall is simply untrue.

I'd much rather grind for points and choose what I spent them on than praying to RNGesus to please give me the one emblem I've been using since Halo 3.

So you're saying the people who make reqs have no transferable skills that can be used on other areaa

of the game?

And that the money they usr to pay these people who can only make reqs and nothing else is also, for some reason, only usable to pay people that can onlh make reqs?

Lolk

Artists don't code weapons. Programmers don't draw guns. They may work together, but they're separate specializations.

If you want to complain about the barebones Arena, you should be complaining about Warzone, not the REQ system. Warzone's something that ​does use map designers.

RNG packs aside, the REQ system is more-or-less the armor and weapon skin customization system we've had with 4 and Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd much rather grind for points and choose what I spent them on than praying to RNGesus to please give me the one emblem I've been using since Halo 3.

As I said, it's a matter of personal opinion, and it doesn't change the fact that Halo 5's content isn't locked behind a paywall.

I like the REQ system, not because I think it's better, but because Reach had horrid credit inflation for later items.

Was there supposed to be an update tonight or just that HCS Pack thing? 

HCS pack

Weekly update is due on Friday:

Rolled back, not reset.

People's ranks have randomly gone back to what they were a few weeks back.

Uh

What

Artists don't code weapons. Programmers don't draw guns. They may work together, but they're separate specializations.

If you want to complain about the barebones Arena, you should be complaining about Warzone, not the REQ system. Warzone's something that ​does use map designers.

RNG packs aside, the REQ system is more-or-less the armor and weapon skin customization system we've had with 4 and Reach.

So hire more programmers and less artists.

Why are you having such a hard time understanding such a simple concept?