CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

This sustain plan isn't enough.  I haven't heard enough from 343.  I am not a happy fan.

edit.  I'm too impatient for more content.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is fucking proof 343 enjoys to fuck things up for no good reason.

Or you know, they were very early work in progress concepts that were never actually in game. The fact that Tanaka's armour is completely incorrect in that image and Thorne is replaced with Buck should give you that idea.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Okay guys. Time to redirect here. Serious discussion.

Does anyone have an idea(s) about what we can do to possibly open a better communication channel with 343; clearly and concisely bring up a thought up list of topics of reasonable changes for both competitive and casual communities alike to save this game from the Halo 4/Halo MCC fate? Because, I kid you not... I don't want to see my favorite franchise die.

As cheesy as it sounds, I honestly wouldn't be where I am today without this game. This goes for the friends I've made, who I even consider more family than my own family (For those on here that know me, you know what I'm talking about). This goes for all the memories I've had with friends online and off, going to events, working at MLG, and I probably wouldn't be Simulation Programmer if it wasn't for this game.

What do you guys think we can honestly do? No more trolling guys.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Or you know, they were very early work in progress concepts that were never actually in game. The fact that Tanaka's armour is completely incorrect in that image and Thorne is replaced with Buck should give you that idea.

Yes I saw that, but my question is why would 343 go in an opposite direction from these mockups? There really is no good reason.

Can someone point me to where on TB I should go to actually talk about halo 5? This thread is now basically full of nothing but shitposts, rep posts, posts about other video games besides halo 5, and reddit/waypoint bashing.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Can someone point me to where on TB I should go to actually talk about halo 5? This thread is now basically full of nothing but shitposts, rep posts, posts about other video games besides halo 5, and reddit/waypoint bashing.

Or you could just start a conversation like I tried to do two post above yours. You haven't really said anything in this thread either so it's kind of hard to try to and be the white knight here.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Strategy/Meta-game thread is pretty top.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Then talk about Halo 5 instead of complaining about people complaining.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Okay guys. Time to redirect here. Serious discussion.

Does anyone have an idea(s) about what we can do to possibly open a better communication channel with 343; clearly and concisely bring up a thought up list of topics of reasonable changes for both competitive and casual communities alike to save this game from the Halo 4/Halo MCC fate? Because, I kid you not... I don't want to see my favorite franchise die.

As cheesy as it sounds, I honestly wouldn't be where I am today without this game. This goes for the friends I've made, who I even consider more family than my own family (For those on here that know me, you know what I'm talking about). This goes for all the memories I've had with friends online and off, going to events, working at MLG, and I probably wouldn't be Simulation Programmer if it wasn't for this game.

What do you guys think we can honestly do? No more trolling guys.

I think a good start would be to stop calling them incompetent/idiots/shit and saying they should all be fired. It seems weird to wonder why someone won't talk to you as you constantly call them shit. Not "you" as in you specifically, just a general "you".

There are numerous numerous valid complaints in this thread. There are many issues that need attention from 343. This thread has devolved into a pure bash 343 thread. Random crazy shit is being made up as long as it involves h5 sucking ass and 343 being idiots.

As a 343 employee, hell as a human, would you rather go to waypoint were they are being sucked off (which still blows my mind) or go somewhere like here were they are the worst anything ever?

• Upvote (+1) 4

As a 343 employee, hell as a human, would you rather go to waypoint were they are being sucked off (which still blows my mind) or go somewhere like here were they are the worst anything ever?

We need an official staff communication thread, and strictly encourage productive conversation and redirect/delete non contributing posts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We need an official staff communication thread, and strictly encourage productive conversation and redirect/delete non contributing posts.

Hell, one of the rules here is "No Dev Bashing".

Doesn't change the fact that it keeps happening.

If you believe posts are breaking rules, by all means report them and they will be looked into.

I miss the days when competitive halo players would put aside their own personal bias when speaking on objective competitive merit.

The halo 3 BR was built to be random- see the link I gave you which shows Bungie's reasoning behind their design decisions. The gun was even random on LAN- that's the way it was designed to behave.

I will never forget spectating an H3 tourney when Puckett was still casting and hearing him say, "Ogre 2 puts a shot into (pro's name here)'s back and...oh wait...looks like that shot didn't register."

Your personal opinion has nothing to do with halo 3's objective competitive merit. The random number generators programmed into the BR spread and registration chances automatically make the gun detrimental to competitive play.

Its kill time was 1.5 seconds (probably closer to 2-2.5 with all the bullets that wouldn't connect either due to spread or registration issues) gave players a ton of time to react to being shot. The h3 BR forgives players for being caught off guard in this sense. Not to mention its long kill time turned every game into which team can get the most BR's on an opponent since players are so gimped/limited by the gun's lack of power and range. Ever hear of linear aggression?

This is just focusing on the utility weapon. I could easily go on about the sluggish strafing mechanics, long item timers, poor map design, and depthless melee system.

I definitely know Halo 3 has it's faults. In fact, I agree with everything you say here. I'm not saying Halo 3 is perfect, or even close. My argument is that even with these faults, it has far more competitive merit, better balance, and is more fun than Halo 5.

It would really help if we had a megathread dedicated to future Halo games development feedback, this a hugely active thread in of itself and is also the official discussion thread for Halo 5: Guardians. We need another thread strictly for feedback. I agree, we tend to get footloose with our frustrations, and trust me after last year all of us were miserable, but it doesn't help matters when the staff are also scared off. We need a dedicated thread for feedback.

What do you guys think we can honestly do?

Get in contact with Phil Spencer and plead with him to clean house at 343 and directly hire as many people who took part in developing Halo CE - Halo Reach as possible. Task them to develop a new Halo game using the traditional formula.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I honestly agree. The reason I don't care for Waypoint is their insistent need to bitch to the point where no progress is made. But you know. Hate will always get you more attention.

My argument is that even with these faults, it has far more competitive merit, better balance, and is more fun than Halo 5.

You'll need more than personal experience to make a case for that.

Who cares though? Why waste the time to argue whether halo 3 or 5 is a better game in terms of objective competitive merit?

Objectively speaking, halo's competitive side has been a shit show ever since halo 3's release date.

It hasn't become better or worse by a margin great enough to be noticeable.

Get in contact with Phil Spencer and plead with him to clean house at 343 and directly hire as many people who took part in developing Halo CE - Halo Reach as possible. Task them to develop a new Halo game using the traditional formula.

You mean you want another Halo Reach?

Then talk about Halo 5 instead of complaining about people complaining.

To be fair, when people actually tried discussing the game in an actual competitive sense, the discussion dies down very quickly here. The strategy thread is for the most part, the same people posting strong discussions on the game competitively (no offense to anyone, just being frank here) with a few posters that post there occasionally asking for help (absolutely nothing wrong with that and its awesome you're asking for help!). Half the time I see the thread going to the second or so page and had to be bumped by a few people to help it live. Its quite obvious no one here really cares to talk about the game in an actual competitive sense but want to talk like arm chair designers. Which isn't right or wrong, just my observations from being on the MLG/THC/TB boards. This isn't anything that is TBs fault really, this is just how forum posters on competitive Halo talk. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

You mean you want another Halo Reach?

No. I want a new Halo game using the traditional formula. Meaning, no gimmicks or bullshit, just straight up Halo with the best graphics, physics and shooting mechanics as possible.

I think a good start would be to stop calling them incompetent/idiots/shit and saying they should all be fired. It seems weird to wonder why someone won't talk to you as you constantly call them shit. Not "you" as in you specifically, just a general "you".

There are numerous numerous valid complaints in this thread. There are many issues that need attention from 343. This thread has devolved into a pure bash 343 thread. Random crazy shit is being made up as long as it involves h5 sucking ass and 343 being idiots.

No I know what you meant, and I fully agree. For the most part they are literally being praised left and right on other mediums besides TeamBeyond. Not saying we need to praise them but the approach has to be different. 

An idea I literally just thought of, as I was typing the first sentence of this post so bear with me, is perhaps another thread that strictly lists a bulleted list of issues (Kind of similar to that Halo MCC bug list we had), difference being maybe there is a HEAVY amount of moderation in this thread. It's not for random discussions/posts.

Not sure if there is a possibility on these forums, but probably even a private thread of handpicked users (ones that can be trusted/proven not to say constantly derogatory/unhelpful/unrelated/etc posts) and 343 developers. Knights of the round table if you will haha. Every post should be required to be objective and for every ISSUE that is raised by a user, a potential solution must be offered. That way there is an actual collection of ideas of discussion of thoughts rather than "I think this is stupid because it's never been in Halo before." If people are being non-constructive, first offense - possible warning, second offense - kicked from the thread. Simple as that.

Now this idea in itself may be stupid but eh, I literally just thought of it as I was writing this post.

I have to find that thread that had all those issues/possible improvements but I think majority, if not everyone, in this thread knows what I'm talking about. 

Yeah I'm almost positive this wouldn't even work due to the fact that there would need to be a desire for said employees to want to work on Halo. The problem isn't the fact that these developers are incapable of doing these tasks. The problem right now is that there are conflicting opinions on what should be in/out. That's the issue.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Or you could just start a conversation like I tried to do two post above yours. You haven't really said anything in this thread either so it's kind of hard to try to and be the white knight here.

Not trying to be a white Knight buddy. Just don't want to have to scroll through pages to find actual halo 5 discussions.