CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

but it's the fact that all these beautiful campaign vistas are not being used in MP and these same UNSC bases are used in all the environments that bothers me the most

Rig matches Meridian's theme, Fathom/Empire/Eden match Blue Team mission's theme, Coliseum is set on Genesis but I would definitely love to see an MP map (Big Team maybe?) set in a more natural-terrain area, Truth and Regret look pretty great but aren't in the campaign.

I personally don't have any problems with visual diversity in the Arena maps, but I would definitely like to see a mixup in future Human maps, and perhaps Campaign stuff like the Volcanic area under Meridian or the grassy-organic areas of Genesis

Okay, I was kind of a dick, but if there's way of triggering me, mentioning the Quake console versions in a positive light is a way to do it. If you say this in a Quake Live community, you'll likely get crucified. Now as for the differences, the movement really is enough to turn me off of it. It's not far off from Halo and it's a mile away from Q3A/QL. The jumping mechanic and the weapons don't do it for me if the movement is hindered as much as it was in QAA and Q4. If you enjoyed those games, that's fine, but then I highly recommend you play the first game and QL.

Also, if you want to play the first game, unfortunately, there are zero ways of buying it digitally in any legal way. There's a Steam version but the compression makes it look like a blown up Game Boy game and there's no music. If you want to play the first Quake, shoot me a PM and I can link you to a great download. Quake Live is of course free on Steam.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum being triggered haha so it's all good. (Mainly from the M+KB > Controller crowd, which on a unrelated note I agree with) I'm going to put the rest in spoiler tags just so my pointless misc game BS doesn't clutter this thread. I'll read w/e you have to say if you would like to continue. It's really just more insight I guess from my perspective. Sorry for any further triggering lol

Thanks for the response and discussion. Overall I'd disagree with just the one port but I might not know enough to refute that. I just really believe the mechanics are closer to Quake if you can replicate them on a shitty input method. I know the console ports are laughable to PC, but I find Halo's movement to be just about as basic as it can get, which I feel undermines the fact that you do have some options or variables in quake in terms of movement. Even things like rocket jumping, plasma climbing, rocket boosts for speed, etc exist and I guess I lumped all this together in terms of movement. I could be looking way to much into this whole thing and you could have just been referencing movement speed and jumping.

The reason I dug so much was for a few reasons. One, I'm the only player I know of on the XBLA port who plays that more than the PC part. Everyone else primarily plays on PC. There really aren't many of us that I would consider impressive, but there's about 10 of us who are skilled players on console that are able to circle and strafe jump just fine. They pretty much acknowledge all of the other releases as being bad ports, but really only give this one praise. I guess it's because they screwed less up, but I always felt frame rate hurt these shooters just as much as poor mechanics did. Q4 and UT3 looked awful and felt awful.

I probably don't have much more to contribute even though I wasn't really contributing to begin with. I guess the main reason I spoke up was regarding the movement, and the fact that I can strafe jump and circle jump in that game while increasing speed where that can't be done in Halo. As far as I know, they did fuck up those abilities in just about every other console port of an arena shooter. I believe Quake 4 had a very similar crouch slide strafe thing that could somewhat be manipulated but it just flat out sucked.

Some last things to clarify incase I misread or caused confusion. When asking how much Quake I have played, if you are referring to the first one, than I shamefully admit I haven't played the very original. I have played Quake 2 a small bit compared to Clan Arena (which is from Quake 3 right?) which is a small bit compared to the time I put into the XBLA port. 

Supposed to be effective. Not instant death ray machines.

The storm rifle is OP.

That's why it needs to be placed in vulnerable areas of the map and fought over like a mini power weapon. Right now it's placed coveniently near spawn points, which makes it unfair.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Spawns on the big team maps are fucked. Even if you are not at their base, the other team can spawn in the middle of the map, and be at your base in no time.

I thought it was interesting that this was an idea at least humored back in 2013. I don't have anything real to base this off of but I assume that they did plan to put in social playlists but somehow they screwed up (obviously) but the fix obviously isn't as simple as "well, just remove ranks". After MCC and all it's patch issues I'm afraid that when they try to fix these things, they break others.

I've said this a few times, I think its to do with how they built the game UI and backend system. You add a gametype into the rotation, thats easy. Once a playlist is addeded however it seems that there is no choice but to have it ranked. There is no backend system that allows you to add a playlist and hide the ranking system and not have placement matches. I'm almost 100% on that as there is no way they would of put shottty snipes/btb/rocket ffa as ranked if social was a thing in H5.

I don't think it was an oversight either, I think it was completely on purpose. They took everyones feedback from Halo Reach and 4 where there were no meaningful ranks and then somewhere along the development process they though, fuck it lets make the whole game a sweat fest and have EVERYTHING RANKED because that's what the people want.

It shows in how they have PR'd the MM too. Having the Beta be all about competitive Arena, then when people asked them "Why is the Beta only about competitive" they reassure people with "Oh don't worry the Beta isn't representative of the full game, the full game will have everthing", which by everything they meant competitive and warzone haha.

Also the hiring of the Pro team shows how little they catered to the casual/social side of the game. As well as bringing in Forgers to basically do their jobs for them in creating BTB maps.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather have the system we have for H5 then what happened with H4 but they had 3 years to make way to add social playlists and they failed.

I really hope with the amount of devs working on H5 that they can overhaul the backend and UI to be able to add social soon.

Rig matches Meridian's theme, Fathom/Empire/Eden match Blue Team mission's theme, Coliseum is set on Genesis but I would definitely love to see an MP map (Big Team maybe?) set in a more natural-terrain area, Truth and Regret look pretty great but aren't in the campaign.

I personally don't have any problems with visual diversity in the Arena maps, but I would definitely like to see a mixup in future Human maps, and perhaps Campaign stuff like the Volcanic area under Meridian or the grassy-organic areas of Genesis

Technically you're right, but they just don't FEEL as fresh or as beautiful as any of the campaign pieces. There's no High Ground, Ivory Tower, or Shrine in this game.

Technically you're right, but they just don't FEEL as fresh or as beautiful as any of the campaign pieces. There's no High Ground, Ivory Tower, or Shrine in this game.

I understand not being blown away by simple stuff like Empire and Fathom but I find Truth and Coliseum to be very good looking maps. I like Plaza a lot as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can we please discuss how (in my and probably some other peoples' opinions) the Halo 5 art style is not very good??? This is the biggest point of contention of H5 for me, having made MANY posts on Waypoint about it, to no avail. After all that effort of posting and going through the process of realizing my ideas of why I dislike it, I can say, without a doubt, I very much DESPISE the art style. The UNSC and Forerunners have lost originality (dear god what happened with the Forerunner architecture?) and it started in Halo 4, getting worse with Halo 5 (all UNSC/Human maps look identical) and I feel like this is a trend that will continue with every Halo game 343 develops.

I completely disagree.

5 has some of the best art design in the series (in the campaign at least) IMO. Sanghelios and Sunion are downright gorgeous. I also think the forerunner design is generally is far better than Bungie's. Some of the Forerunner areas on Meridian look fantastic with the lava pouring everywhere and Genesis in general looks amazing. I actually think Genesis has some of the best vistas in the series, the sense of scale you get when

you run down the side of the Guardian

is breathtaking. Also the area where you pilot the Phaetons through the canyon looks great.

That said whilst I do like the soft white curves of the UNSC design, I do agree it's a bit overused.

These are some shots I've taken and a few I've found:

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr

22632484949_c0829fbf49_o.png

screenshot-original2mb7c.png

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 3

That's why it needs to be placed in vulnerable areas of the map and fought over like a mini power weapon. Right now it's placed coveniently near spawn points, which makes it unfair.

Nailed it.

It shouldn't be a power weapon in Halo. Halo's power weapons are useful at any range. Sniper, rocket, railgun, grenade launcher. Autos shouldn't be power weapons.

Either we buff the pistol or decrease the storms ROF

• Upvote (+1) 2

I understand not being blown away by simple stuff like Empire and Fathom but I find Truth and Coliseum to be very good looking maps. I like Plaza a lot as well.

Truth is great, agreed on that one. 

Yeah, it's never been an arena shooter...

Except for the weapon and power ups placed on the map on static/dynamic timers.

Rocket jumping and grenade jumping.

Double kills, Triple kills, killing sprees, etc.

An overshield that slowly trickles down until you reach 100% shields... *cough*Mega Health*cough*

Hmmmmmm... Some of these sound familiar...

Ok, so then please explain to me why the hell more people aren't playing Tribes, Quake, Unreal, Toxikk and other arena FPS.

If you don't think the industry has changed than I can only guess that you haven't been gaming long enough to actually witness the industry change, because as someone that has been playing first person shooters since Wolfenstein 3D I can safely say with 100% accuracy that the industry has gone through MASSIVE changes, especially within the last 5 years.

Halo isn't a pure arena shooter though, it was a squad shooter and an arena hybrid -- that is why Halo was so unique it was its own genre essentially. I have yet to play another game that ever played like Halo. There's a world of difference between Quake 3/Unreal Tourney and Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It shouldn't be a power weapon in Halo. Halo's power weapons are useful at any range. Sniper, rocket, railgun, grenade launcher. Autos shouldn't be power weapons.

Either we buff the pistol or decrease the storms ROF

That's why I said mini power weapon such as the shotgun, sword, and SAW. I agree with buffing the pistol but we shouldn't be nerfing the kill times. It's already hard enough to finish your kills in this game.

Ever wind up hitching a ride in a warthog when you weren't welcome? good times

Hopping in the passenger seat and beating down the driver for dayssss

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 5 was just not planned out well from the beginning of development day 1, especially with the great decision of no split screen.

Of all the things to choose regarding that issue, split screen isn't one. Although controversial, there's a very valid reason why it's gone, and it's not because it's unfinished or 343's lazy.

I can't say it was the best decision, but at the same time, I can't call it a horrible one either.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo isn't a pure arena shooter though, it was a squad shooter and an arena hybrid -- that is why Halo was so unique it was its own genre essentially. I have yet to play another game that ever played like Halo. There's a world of difference between Quake 3/Unreal Tourney and Halo.

Not at all. This is why Halo is unique.

the difference in art style between the bungie games and 343 games is much like the difference between the original trilogy and new trilogy of star wars for me, one i like, one i hate. one favours aesthetics, one favours graphics / busyness.

After playing nothing but halo 5 since it come out I went to play destiny, man I can feel that 30fps.

Also I'm feeling like the only one who likes the "look" of halo 5. The game is gorgeous man. IMO anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

After playing nothing but halo 5 since it come out I went to play destiny, man I can feel that 30fps.

Praying for Destiny 2 to be 60fps.

• Upvote (+1) 3