CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You're telling me Quake Arena Arcade moves more like Halo then Quake? I mean I can agree with some lesser games like Quake 4 like you mentioned but I strongly disagree with you about this one. I'm actually incredibly confused at this point because Quake Arena Arcade feels absolutely nothing like Halo to me. How much of the XBLA port did you play?

I'm saying it plays more like Halo than it does Quake. How much Quake have you played outside of consoles?

The movement plays more like Halo than it does Quake. The bottom line, Halo: CE already made the most arena-ish game that's possible with a controller.

I wonder how people would react if CE had faster movement (base run speed and less predictable/more combat-useful jumping).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm saying it plays more like Halo than it does Quake. How much Quake have you played outside of consoles?

That's fine you don't wish to disclose any info or answer my questions. I felt it was relevant.. I'll be happy to answer yours though.

I don't think I can get any sort of number for you in terms of playtime. I'll admit I haven't played it nearly a fraction of the time I played Halo, but that's also my main game. I feel though that I have played enough Quake, even though a high percent of it has been Clan Arena, to know that Quake Arena Arcade does not feel like any Halo game to me.

Is there any difference to you between Quake 4 or Quake Arena Arcade to you? Or are they equally shit?

You're telling me Quake Arena Arcade moves more like Halo then Quake? I mean I can agree with some lesser games like Quake 4 like you mentioned but I strongly disagree with you about this one. I'm actually incredibly confused at this point because Quake Arena Arcade feels absolutely nothing like Halo to me. How much of the XBLA port did you play?

someone bumped my tweet today..

Ranked vs Social from 2013:

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/318124566293667842

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/318125297939668992

He has the solution to the so-called problem in the second tweet he puts out, so what's going on here?

If that means we can stop having ridiculous automatics, OP snipers and radar in competitive, then make it happen...

"@DJ_DANYE the challenge is when players with many games/years of experience are playing w/ new players without reliable means of segmenting."

Statements like this drive me nuts. Having experienced players dominating is a matchmaking problem, not a skill gap problem. Don't conflate these 2 very different issues. So if you're matching jr. high kids w/ NBA players the solution is to lower the rims and give everyone a basket ball? Hell no, the solution is to work your tail off and build your capability to measure player skill - not kill the skill gap. If anything having a high skill gap should make it easier to segment.

• Upvote (+1) 4

He has the solution to the so-called problem in the second tweet he puts out, so what's going on here?

If that means we can stop having ridiculous automatics, OP snipers and radar in competitive, then make it happen...

I thought it was interesting that this was an idea at least humored back in 2013. I don't have anything real to base this off of but I assume that they did plan to put in social playlists but somehow they screwed up (obviously) but the fix obviously isn't as simple as "well, just remove ranks". After MCC and all it's patch issues I'm afraid that when they try to fix these things, they break others.

That's fine you don't wish to disclose any info or answer my questions. I felt it was relevant.. I'll be happy to answer yours though.

I don't think I can get any sort of number for you in terms of playtime. I'll admit I haven't played it nearly a fraction of the time I played Halo, but that's also my main game. I feel though that I have played enough Quake, even though a high percent of it has been Clan Arena, to know that Quake Arena Arcade does not feel like any Halo game to me.

Is there any difference to you between Quake 4 or Quake Arena Arcade to you? Or are they equally shit?

I barely touched Quake Arena Arcade because I didn't enjoy from the start. The movement is not like Quake. And why are you comparing a Quake console game to another Quake console game? That's like comparing Halo 4 to Halo 5. When I talk about Quake, the console version are the last thing on my mind. The console versions are more of joke in the community than armor lock is here. Quake is Quake 3: Arena and Quake Live, the console versions were just cheap ways for Bethesda to get more money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I thought it was interesting that this was an idea at least humored back in 2013. I don't have anything real to base this off of but I assume that they did plan to put in social playlists but somehow they screwed up (obviously) but the fix obviously isn't as simple as "well, just remove ranks". After MCC and all it's patch issues I'm afraid that when they try to fix these things, they break others.

I feel like they were just thinking that Warzone would be a big and diverse enough experience to cater to every person who wants casual matches in any shape or form, so they just focused on that experience as the default social (hence why it deserves its own exclusive maps) and everything else would be ranked.

I recall them talking about how there would be close quarters infantry battles, big vehicular warfare, AIs, objective, etc. in a way that made it seem like it would literally please every single person ever, but it's not quite exactly how it turned out to be. 

Whatever happened, it definitely was a red flag when "weekend social playlists" turned out to be ranked...

• Upvote (+1) 4

I barely touched Quake Arena Arcade because I didn't enjoy from the start. The movement is not like Quake. And why are you comparing a Quake console game to another Quake console game? That's like comparing Halo 4 to Halo 5. When I talk about Quake, the console version are the last thing on my mind. The console versions are more of joke in the community than armor lock is here.

Where do I start? My comparison really only comes from your post about console arena ports being shit. You didn't disclose anything more than that so you pretty much just lumped them up all together. I bring up the Quake 4 vs Arena comparison because they are 2 very different games that I feel doesn't deserve to be grouped together in terms of quality. I wanted to make sure you realized these two games didn't deserve the same name.

So I was pretty much curious if this was something you wrote off incredibly fast or something you had a lot of experience with. When I first started playing Quake Arena Arcade I couldn't strafe or circle jump with a controller well. Now I'm able to do a ton of trick jumps.

So basically, Quake Arena Arcade maintains Quake 3's movement mechanics and techniques. Although it's drastically harder and pretty much impossible to make some jumps which would be considered an average to above average jump on PC, it's still possible. You're honestly going to have to do a better job of explaining how it feels like Halo when all these jumping and moving mechanics are still in the game. No offense man, but it sounds more like the input method or user than the game.

Where do I start? My comparison really only comes from your post about console arena ports being shit. You didn't disclose anything more than that so you pretty much just lumped them up all together. I bring up the Quake 4 vs Arena comparison because they are 2 very different games that I feel doesn't deserve to be grouped together in terms of quality. I wanted to make sure you realized these two games didn't deserve the same name.

So I was pretty much curious if this was something you wrote off incredibly fast or something you had a lot of experience with. When I first started playing Quake Arena Arcade I couldn't strafe or circle jump with a controller well. Now I'm able to do a ton of trick jumps.

So basically, Quake Arena Arcade maintains Quake 3's movement mechanics and techniques. Although it's drastically harder and pretty much impossible to make some jumps which would be considered an average to above average jump on PC, it's still possible. You're honestly going to have to do a better job of explaining how it feels like Halo when all these jumping and moving mechanics are still in the game. No offense man, but it sounds more like the input method or user than the game.

Okay, I was kind of a dick, but if there's way of triggering me, mentioning the Quake console versions in a positive light is the way to do it. If you say this in a Quake Live community, you'll likely get crucified. Now as for the differences, the movement really is enough to turn me off of it. It's not far off from Halo and it's a mile away from Q3A/QL. The jumping mechanic and the weapons don't do it for me if the movement is hindered as much as it was in QAA and Q4. If you enjoyed those games, that's fine, but then I highly recommend you play the first game and QL.

Also, if you want to play the first game, unfortunately, there are zero ways of buying it digitally in any legal way. There's a Steam version but the compression makes it look like a blown up Game Boy game and there's no music. If you want to play the first Quake, shoot me a PM and I can link you to a great download. Quake Live is of course free on Steam.

"@DJ_DANYE the challenge is when players with many games/years of experience are playing w/ new players without reliable means of segmenting."

Statements like this drive me nuts. Having experienced players dominating is a matchmaking problem, not a skill gap problem. Don't conflate these 2 very different issues. So if you're matching jr. high kids w/ NBA players the solution is to lower the rims and give everyone a basket ball? Hell no, the solution is to work your tail off and build your capability to measure player skill - not kill the skill gap. If anything having a high skill gap should make it easier to segment.

I highly agree, these 2 aspects have been integrated by 343.

Can we please discuss how (in my and probably some other peoples' opinions) the Halo 5 art style is not very good??? This is the biggest point of contention of H5 for me, having made MANY posts on Waypoint about it, to no avail. After all that effort of posting and going through the process of realizing my ideas of why I dislike it, I can say, without a doubt, I very much DESPISE the art style. The UNSC and Forerunners have lost originality (dear god what happened with the Forerunner architecture?) and it started in Halo 4, getting worse with Halo 5 (all UNSC/Human maps look identical) and I feel like this is a trend that will continue with every Halo game 343 develops.

You are not alone in this. 

Not only is the art style unoriginal, but the art style is what puts so much 'stress' on the XbOne. The sunlight can blind you on many maps, and their tends to be many items/lights that take up sandbox space for aesthetics reasoning only. WAY to much detail for small meaningless items when it comes to game-play.

Shit like that is why we don't have split-screen & forge (forge in December, RIP split-screen).

Can we please discuss how (in my and probably some other peoples' opinions) the Halo 5 art style is not very good??? This is the biggest point of contention of H5 for me, having made MANY posts on Waypoint about it, to no avail. After all that effort of posting and going through the process of realizing my ideas of why I dislike it, I can say, without a doubt, I very much DESPISE the art style. The UNSC and Forerunners have lost originality (dear god what happened with the Forerunner architecture?) and it started in Halo 4, getting worse with Halo 5 (all UNSC/Human maps look identical) and I feel like this is a trend that will continue with every Halo game 343 develops.

It's not that I don't agree entirely and then some, but it's just a dead topic.  Halo 5 doubled down on the chrome and strange armor, I doubt anything resembling the old style is coming back anytime soon.

But man I could, and have, ranted about it for awhile.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I probably responded to some of your threads, I'm not a fan of 343 art design either..

But I think H5 is much better then H4 in some areas (Sanghelios, genesis, RoA7)

The UNSC design really is a joke and even though Forerunner is much better its still nowhere near as good as in OT Halo but I like those old sanghelios ruins!

I miss the old Marines!

If this is your biggest issue with the game, then you are doing pretty well.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The art is pretty great, not perfect, but it's the fact that all these beautiful campaign vistas are not being used in MP and these same UNSC bases are used in all the environments that bothers me the most  :(

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

It's not that I don't agree entirely and then some, but it's just a dead topic. Halo 5 doubled down on the chrome and strange armor, I doubt anything resembling the old style is coming back anytime soon.

But man I could, and have, ranted about it for awhile.

Good to see you here Ramirez! I just joined so it's good seeing some familiar faces. As for the topic being dead; so long as 343 is making Halo games, this discussion can never die for me. I will always make noise about it until 343's art team changes their design philosophy.

If this is your biggest issue with the game, then you are doing pretty well.

Nah I'm on the same levels of contempt as you guys concerning the lack of content and some of the gameplay. I just REALLY dislike 343's art style.