CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The gaming culture has changed so drastically since 2001 it's not even funny. Once gaming really hit the mainstream during the mid 2000's with the PS2 the entire culture shifted.

There's a reason Unreal Tournament 3 never had huge success.

There's a reason Quake 4 never had huge success.

There's a reason Painkiller never had huge success.

There's a reason no players are currently playing Toxikk right now.

You're kidding yourself if you seriously think arena FPS are still popular.

These types of games don't reward you constantly. They don't feature progression systems designed by top psychologists that are designed to make you addicted to the act of unlocking new guns and armour. They're games that reward player skill. You don't play the game to unlock new armour, you play the game to get better.

BTW, Halo 5 may not be a good Halo game, but it's still better than most the other games in the top 10.

Being a "good" game has nothing to do with how well the game sells or how many people are playing it. If we were going to judge a game by how many active players it had then Minecraft would be the best game ever made.

Guess what? No matter how good the next Unreal Tournament is it's STILL not going to reach mass appeal. It could be objectively the greatest game ever created and it STILL would not reach the mass appeal that CoD has.

So that's where the industry went wrong?  They brought in shrinks to drive the game play mechanics?

"Not a fan of Ranked/Social split playlists. Whole MP should be "Ranked" aka everyone playing the true way the game is played."

The "TRUE WAY"

This kind of condescending talk is really out of place when their games' populations continue to tank a month after launch.

It's clear that 98% of 343 never played H2 or H3 online and therefore has no idea why the ranked/social split was so simple yet effective.

It completely baffles me.. For instance if you keep reading the replies to that tweet you find stuff like this. 

Yeah I'll be sure to hop in those custom games when I'm playing alone...

I tend to play with family and friends as well who are nowhere gold level let alone Onyx/Champ. I'm not going to consistently create new accounts in order to play this game. I've made four different ones already and each time I make one I get placed right back in Onyx. There is literally no point anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Exactly, 343 has never attempted it, so to say it will fail is purely assumption. What there is evidence of is that 343's approach isn't working.

@@Pyroteq

As for Quake 4, that game failed because it was catered to a controller. Quake and UT gameplay will. never. work. on. consoles. It's too fast and if it's changed to work with a controller, then it's no longer Quake/UT. Epic and id learned their lesson quickly since UT4 and Quake Live are only on PC, but id is a shell of what it once was so we'll probably never get a proper Quake game again.

Quake Arena Arcade is a very good console quake game in my opinion.

Uh, no. You really couldn't. They were useless. A 5 shot with the DMR or Magnum would kill them every time. AR beat downs were only viable during the short period of melee bleedthrough before they took it away again.

They seriously were useless pieces of trash. Even DMR beatdown was more viable.

Not useless at all. In fact I sometimes use the AR in CQC situations or just cleaning up a kill, if I'm not holding a power weapon. Reach AR is perfect. If it were any stronger, then it would be OP.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

omg.png

Holy shit. You can't make this stuff up. This is the same type of guy who thanks 343 for giving us Forge for free.

Kid is a sheep afraid to speak out against anything, i hate these kinda people.

Not useless at all. In fact I sometimes use the AR in CQC situations or just cleaning up a kill, if I'm not holding a power weapon. Reach AR is perfect. If it were any stronger, then it would be OP.

well all the weapons should've been stronger in reach.
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Anyone here a beast and at swat and want to play? Im about 2 wins of my champion and I dont want to risk solo doloing it

It completely baffles me.. For instance if you keep reading the replies to that tweet you find stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/quinndelhoyo/status/503375178437365760

Yeah I'll be sure to hop in those custom games when I'm playing alone...

I tend to play with family and friends as well who are nowhere gold level let alone Onyx/Champ. I'm not going to consistently create new accounts in order to play this game. I've made four different ones already and each time I make one I get placed right back in Onyx. There is literally no point anymore.

The stupidity is mind blowing.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I think the real truth here is that Halo just isn't popular any more for plenty of reasons.

I think the best thing 343 could do with the franchise is move it to PC and allow the community to flesh it out with content much like Valve has done with Counter Strike and DOTA 2.

There's definitely an empty market for this sort of game on PC.

343 could put all their effort into the campaign and expansions while the community handles the creation of multiplayer assets, mods, mutators, etc.

I could definitely see this happening after Halo 6. Hopefully it does. 

Yo uh...are your weapon skins supposed to show up on any weapon of that type you pick up on the map (except for weapons dropped by other people)? OR is it just weapons you spawn with? Cause I finally got a BR skin and I don't think it's showing up unless i'm an idiot.

only the weapon you spawn with. So you can only spawn with your BR skin in Warzond/BTB

GGs to Hard Way, kill machine, falkon and anyone else j played with here last night. Running to4s and to8s with solid communication is so much fun in this game lol

Feel free to speak your mind, just don't be offensive about it.

I think @@Deez couldn't be more ignorant making a comment like that after the success of Halo 3's ranked/social split. The fact that they're working on social playlists right now shows how incorrect he was.

Maybe ignorant is a harsh word but I can't think of a better way to put it. I get that they wanted to push their competitive title but completely alienating the casual players at the same time was video game suicide. It's funny how the roles have changed with Halo 5.

Ignorant is totally appropriate. Stupidity, even. 343 has this thing where everything must be offical and consistent, whether its all ranked or all social. They don't undertand that this stuff exists in tandem with eachother.

I understand what Quinn meant by the 'true way' Halo is meant to be played. For most player vs. player games, the goal is to win. Even if you are laid back you still want to win, and the ranking system enforces that and amplifies it.

I think Quinn/Playlist Team at 343 is mixing up our desire for laid back Social playlists with the desire to pub stomp and get matched up against low skilled players. That is simply not the case. We just don't want to be punished for losing. We'll lose and goof around at our skill level but it won't mean anything because there is no rank. If people quit it isn't stressful trying to sweat out a 3v4, etc.

Also all of this

Nah Quinn just nailed it.

Just play Customs or FFA, or BO3 or Battlefront or Fallout or any other game that is actually playable alone without having a bad time. :) I am playing MCC right now after I got raped 3 times in a row playing Arena against a full team.

Oh Halo 3 looks so much better <3

• Upvote (+1) 7

If you're a Halo fan.

Looking at your previous post, and now your response, could you expand on how that is supposed to mean anything? If I wasn't a Halo fan I wouldn't like Quake Arena Arcade?

Except when your friend is a stupid cock who keeps insisting on dumb rules - then you stop going to his place for paintball.

Go make your own paintball arena.

Looking at your previous post, and now your response, could you expand on how that is supposed to mean anything? If I wasn't a Halo fan I wouldn't like Quake Arena Arcade?

The movement plays more like Halo than it does Quake. The bottom line, Halo: CE already made the most arena-ish game that's possible with a controller.

I don't understand this Req progression system. At least with Reach you could no life with a set of armour in mind and each game felt purposeful moving towards that end goal. With the req system being random, I honestly couldn't care less because you might get the armour you like in 10 games or in 500. The random nature detracts from the incentive.

Also, when are we getting the next CU? Feel like it's badly needed right now.

December

The movement plays more like Halo than it does Quake. The bottom line, Halo: CE already made the most arena-ish game that's possible with a controller.

You're telling me Quake Arena Arcade moves more like Halo then Quake? I mean I can agree with some lesser games like Quake 4 like you mentioned but I strongly disagree with you about this one. I'm actually incredibly confused at this point because Quake Arena Arcade feels absolutely nothing like Halo to me. How much of the XBLA port did you play?

someone bumped my tweet today..

Ranked vs Social from 2013:

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/318124566293667842

https://twitter.com/JoshingtonState/status/318125297939668992

• Upvote (+1) 1