CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Of course there is. Sure, I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'd still bank my house on it.

You only need to look at the state of arena FPS on both PC AND console.

Gamers these days want progression and constant reward reinforcement.

You can argue that Halo isn't really an "arena" game if you want - despite 343 even calling the competitive multiplayer "Arena", but it's still unpopular in today's gaming state for the same reason arena FPS are unpopular.

In an arena FPS you can't allow someone to start off with a sniper load out they spent 80 hours unlocking.

They can't call in an airstrike after getting a killing spree.

Sure, you can give them some cosmetic skins and stuff, but that's only going to entice a tiny percentage of people to grind for hours as opposed to getting that sweet new M4 and Desert Eagle for your load outs.

Hell, even single player games do this.

Have you played an Ubisoft game recently?

Instead of finding guns hidden away in secret locations like you would have done back in the 90's, you now run around doing a bunch of side quests and skinning 10 crocodiles so you can then unlock the gun from a vendor.

Getting players addicted to your game can be achieved through other means than just making the gameplay extremely noobfriendly.

There used to be dozens of subcommunities in Halo which 343 also managed to scare off with their odd approach to this franchise. Now they even pissed off the campaign guys. Halo just has SO much potential. I'm very convinced there would be a big place for Halo on today's market if it had the competent developer it deserves.

So, lets go a different route with this thread for a little bit here:

If you absolutely HAD to pick JUST 3 things to fix in Halo 5 ASAP, what would it be?

Mine would be:

1) Remove radar

2) Nerf Automatic weapons

3) Fix pistol to 4sk, or lower TTK in other ways

1) add all the missing shit that should be in the game (embarrassing)

2) fix spectator mode

3) fire the people in charge of the HCS settings and hire ppl who aren't morons

3.5) gun buffs/nerfs

If you absolutely HAD to pick JUST 3 things to fix in Halo 5 ASAP, what would it be?

Mine would be:

1) Remove radar

1) The campaign

2) The multiplayer

3) The user experience (Split-screen, UI, Ranks, Progression, Customization, etc.)

Honorable mention: The art direction

• Upvote (+1) 2

No game since CE has had a better starting weapon with vanilla settings.

H2 - SMG

H3 - AR

HR - DMR

H4 - FUCKING ANYTHING APPARENTLY

H5 - GARBAGE PISTOL

I'll take the CEA pistol thanks.

What makes Reach's starting weapon a DMR but H3's an AR when they both had AR starts, if I'm not mistaken, at the same frequency (I guess there was an ability to vote but I got ARs a ton)?

Hmm, some good points with social playlsits. Might have to add that in, but getting rid of one of my 3 would be rough... 

I would the say the gameplay looks like an overcomplicate mess when players have so many tools to use/routes to traverse on the map. Movement prediction (one of the things that sprint ruins) really helped the gameplay in earlier Halo's, which got removed with the additions of sprint/evade/jet packs/thrust/clamber etc.

I don't have a problem with finding enemies in H5. My biggest problem is how easy and basic the abilities are. The chaining of the abilities is still super easy to pull off, meaning it doesn't feel nearly as rewarding.

Yo uh...are your weapon skins supposed to show up on any weapon of that type you pick up on the map (except for weapons dropped by other people)?  OR is it just weapons you spawn with?  Cause I finally got a BR skin and I don't think it's showing up unless i'm an idiot.

I don't have a problem with finding enemies in H5. My biggest problem is how easy and basic the abilities are. The chaining of the abilities is still super easy to pull off, meaning it doesn't feel nearly as rewarding.

Chaining abilities shouldnt be hard though. I feel like if you're gonna put all these abilities in that are required to move around, they need to be fluid. Like Halo CE's movement wasn't hard to do because it was simple. It was the way you used it, whether you jumped or crouched when you fell, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What makes Reach's starting weapon a DMR but H3's an AR when they both had AR starts, if I'm not mistaken, at the same frequency (I guess there was an ability to vote but I got ARs a ton)?

Reach launched with loadouts in vanilla. Most common pick was Sprint and DMR.

Chaining abilities shouldnt be hard though. I feel like if you're gonna put all these abilities in that are required to move around, they need to be fluid. Like Halo CE's movement wasn't hard to do because it was simple. It was the way you used it, whether you jumped or crouched when you fell, etc.

Well it's clear the movement right now is very stale to say the least. Adding a wall jump of some kind would blow the skillgap into the sun, but nah bros we got clamber!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Mine would be:

1) Remove radar

1) Social/fun playlists

2) More content(oddball, bomb, maps especially in warzone)

3) Weapon tuning/ better weapon placement

well what would work then? Jumps in this game are pretty important as is (Fathom court to Rail, Tree sneaky, Plaza s3, Orange to Sneaky/Clutch, plaza bottom mid to OS, etc). Some are difficult but I honestly don't think the execution for jumps should be difficult anyways and should be relatively simple so players can implement it to their game (but the gap is doing the jumps intelligently) but don't have to hit the lab to figure it out like its A FRC from Guilty Gear
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Over a year ago Quinn voiced his preference for 100% ranked playlists https://www.twitter.com/quinndelhoyo/status/503219359032958976

"Not a fan of Ranked/Social split playlists. Whole MP should be "Ranked" aka everyone playing the true way the game is played."

The "TRUE WAY"

This kind of condescending talk is really out of place when their games' populations continue to tank a month after launch.

It's clear that 98% of 343 never played H2 or H3 online and therefore has no idea why the ranked/social split was so simple yet effective.

• Upvote (+1) 8

While true let's consider the things that Halo 5 does not have at the moment that Halo 3 and Halo: Reach had.

- Fileshare

- Forge

- Social vanilla playlists/good selection

- Game chat in lobbies (for me)

- Split screen

- LAN (and for people who don't have internet)

- Party restrictions (from what I know)

For a casual audience that's pretty huge, not every casual can keep playing Warzone till they unlock every piece of armour and achieving platinum 6 in Arena and then giving up. Besides campaign and standard custom games what can they do? Given that Warzone/Warzone assault is the only relatively new experience that Halo 5 is offering to the consumer I don't believe that this is going to sustain population. The Arena gameplay is great mind you, I really enjoy it but I don't feel like this experience thus far is social enough for me. Not everyone wants to just grind the whole time, people want to relax and enjoy the moment. With the lack of social features it makes the game pretty much built for REQ grinders and hardcore competitive players. 

What I started doing recently was creating new accounts and I found arena much more enjoyable given the fact that I was finding lower ranked matches and not hardcore sweaty cock fights the whole time and I didn't have as much risk. I just enjoyed playing Halo because it was Halo. Besides that it doesn't really offer the same classic experience to me. I believe I'm going to enjoy this game a hell of a lot more when forge comes out though because of forging fun custom maps.

I saw this and felt like I had to point this out. Imagine Halo 3 without those features. Any tournament settings people liked that weren't slayer or CTF on default maps, spawns and weapons? Gone. All those BTB maps? Wouldn't have been in the game. The communities? Wouldn't have existed. All of the fun LANs which was the only time Halo 3 really played well? Impossible. Could Strongholds and Warzone have replaced all of that? No. Would've sucked huh? I wonder if people have stopped to really compare it in a similar way to how you listed it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Not a fan of Ranked/Social split playlists. Whole MP should be "Ranked" aka everyone playing the true way the game is played."

The "TRUE WAY"

This kind of condescending talk is really out of place when their games' populations continue to tank a month after launch.

It's clear that 98% of 343 never played H2 or H3 online and therefore has no idea why the ranked/social split was so simple yet effective.

Trying to homogenize Halo is probably his biggest mistake, and a blatant lack of understanding of the game and its audience. Think he's tunnelled too much into this esports/League of Legends vision of everyone playing the same game.

omg.png

Holy shit. You can't make this stuff up. This is the same type of guy who thanks 343 for giving us Forge for free.

"When you go play paintball in your friends arena it's by his rules when we play on your field then youbcan make the rules"

Solid point.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Autos weren't even worth selecting as a starting weapon. DMR/Magnum was a better setting. They, literally, had no place in the game because everything was better than they were. At best, you could Plasma Rifle/Spiker beatdown people, and the AR couldn't even do that.

I'm not defending the overviability of autos in Halo 5, but Reach did them very wrong. 

Also, the notion that Halo 5 isn't fun because automatics are so great now is absurd. There are plenty of other factors that contribute to that, and, the fact is, the utility weapons are still ultimately the better weapons when it comes to whether or not you should drop one or the other for a power weapon. A 4sk Magnum really would probably do the trick, though, as crazy as that sounds.

Autos in Reach are perfect IMO. If you're accurate with them, you can get kills up close and also AR beatdowns. Most battles that take place should be precision weapon based, not spay and pray noob fights; that is Halo. At least Halo CE - Halo Reach. No way in hell should you be able to challenge a precision weapon user at mid range with an auto.

The biggest issue for me in Halo 5 is the overpowered autos. For me, it makes the game not fun. Getting ARed in the back from mid range or longer and immediately being one-shot is not fun. I'm a beast at crouching and ARing/SMGing in Halo 5, but it's not the kind of Halo I enjoy. I knew something was off with this game when I noticed my most used weapon in one playlist was an AR and SMG in another. In no other Halo game ever would I even have just one game with an automatic as my tool of destruction. This game is a joke.

"When you go play paintball in your friends arena it's by his rules when we play on your field then youbcan make the rules"

Solid point.

Except when your friend is a stupid cock who keeps insisting on dumb rules - then you stop going to his place for paintball.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't understand how so many here act like the game is a completely awful failure.

The issues with it are so small relative to problems we've had in the past.

- We need some minor weapon tweaking/balancing.

- We need some social playlists and some adjustments to party restrictions and settings in ranked.

- We need a few more maps and modes.

All of these are very easily attainable. We know more maps are coming and new modes seem fairly likely as well. 343 have commented on the need for social so that's likely coming too. There's also no reason to believe a weapon balance patch won't come, they did it with both Reach and 4.

The base game we've been given is really solid, it just needs some tweaking. In terms of a making a good game, I'd say 343 have succeeded.

This is how i see it.

the amount of all new abilities is ridiculous, 343 should've given more depth to the things players could already do, like jumping crouching, and then add something like wall jumping. @@Gobias suggestions are far better than the abilities we got for halo 5.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Autos in Reach are perfect IMO. If you're accurate with them, you can get kills up close and also AR beatdowns.

Uh, no. You really couldn't. They were useless. A 5 shot with the DMR or Magnum would kill them every time. AR beat downs were only viable during the short period of melee bleedthrough before they took it away again.

They seriously were useless pieces of trash. Even DMR beatdown was more viable.

• Upvote (+1) 1